How interested would you be in a documentary about Giantbomb, or Giantbomb/Polygon/RPS/IGN/Gamespot?

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By FinalDasa

It would be great. Something like what 2 player production did/does with Penny Arcade would be awesome.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Gaff

As video game journalism is becoming more "personality driven", something like a documentary would be interesting.

Would this be a good time to mention my idea for a video game journalism family tree?

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I would definitely like to see something like that but only if it goes deep into things like advertising, publisher relationships, review processes, PR and such. Some real nitty gritty type of shit.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

It would have to be more about the people then about the company.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WMWA

Do any of these companies have anything in common or do you just mean separate documentaries for each site listed? Uhh...I'd like to see a Giantbomb one of course. I'd also like to see a GameSpot and IGN one if it focused on their early days when they first started. Miss me with the polygon crap. Their story is a known quantity and not terribly interesting this far

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By notdavid

I'd love to see one about GB specifically, but I'd also like to know some more about the early days of GameSpot. Actually, I'd like someone to write a book about it, kind of like Masters of Doom but from the journalism side instead of the development side.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmaustin55 said:

Do any of these companies have anything in common or do you just mean separate documentaries for each site listed? Uhh...I'd like to see a Giantbomb one of course. I'd also like to see a GameSpot and IGN one if it focused on their early days when they first started. Miss me with the polygon crap. Their story is a known quantity and not terribly interesting this far

I mean, more like an all-inclusive documentary about video game journalism across the board.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

I don't care to know anything about IGN or post-Giant Bomb GameSpot, so reduce the scope to Bomb Crew, Polygon.com's formation, and RPS and I'd be very, very interested.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011

whats RPS?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By FLStyle

RPS?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gaff

Rock Paper Shotgun @zombie2011@FLStyle

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WMWA
@drewmaw Ahh, okay. Then yeah, that'd actually be kind of cool to see the intricacies of the business. And also compare/contrast how the different sites operate
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By I_smell

Most of us already know pretty much everything about GiantBomb... We've seen Vinny's baby, Drew's trip to Korea, Dave's wedding's comin up, I mean; what more could you possibly want? A documentary would probably be LESS information than we get in a regular week.

@zombie2011: @FLStyle: RockPaperShotgun is a blog site.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WMWA
@FLStyle

RPS?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By thespartandon

I think we get our fill of Behind the Scenes content through the different videos Giant Bomb puts up, especially if you are a subscriber. I think those types of videos essentially serve the same purpose that any documentary based on the GB crew would.

I think the idea of having a documentary that focuses on Games 'Journalism' that covers all Press sites, including Giant Bomb is a stronger idea. Similarly to how 'Indie Game: The Movie' focused on different Indie Developers.

But even then, basing a whole documentary around people who simply review games and report news off of press releases doesn't make for the most engaging, interesting documentary. It'd have to go into deeper issues that Games press have to deal with.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FLStyle

@Gaff: @I_smell: @wmaustin55: Is there something significant about it/whoever runs it/whoever owns it that puts them in the same company as the other listed sites?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm pretty sure that the last 7 years of my life have been a documentary about The Bombcrew. It would be like watching a documentary about myself.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad

The only way that would be interesting is if the people involved are entertaining on camera. I'm not convinced most websites have kind of staff.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bribo

@Gaff said:

Would this be a good time to mention my idea for a video game journalism family tree?

Yes it would. You should do that. Do it now!

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By I_smell

@FLStyle:I think it's just cos the guy likes that site.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

Strangely enough, I'd like to see how other sites are run compared to GB. I know, or at least have a fairly good idea of, what goes on in the GB office (well, not on a personal level, but you know what I mean). What goes on in the IGN and Gamespot offices? Are they as full of shit as we think they are? Or are they actually good people that just don't get the same limelight that the GB crew does?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the GB crew make an appearance as well, but not just them.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gaff
@Bribo

@Gaff said:

Yes it would. You should do that. Do it now!

Going through it in my head, it's starting to become eerily like Seven Degrees of Patrick Klepek...
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss

Not at all.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax

A lot of users like myself who have been here since the day the site launched already kinda know the whole story. The staff certainly wasn't quiet or discrete about anything significant that happened, and they documented the creation of the site themselves. A professional documentary would undoubtedly be really cool, but I don't think there's a whole lot left to be discovered, you know?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NegativeCero

Zero interest.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Clonedzero

no. not really.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Brendan

I wouldn't be too interested in other sites because I don't visit other sites (unlike games, which I play a lot of) and I already know a lot about Giant Bomb so there doesn't seem to be much interesting material that would draw me in.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By RagingLion

@Little_Socrates said:

I don't care to know anything about IGN or post-Giant Bomb GameSpot, so reduce the scope to Bomb Crew, Polygon.com's formation, and RPS and I'd be very, very interested.

This probably describes my own interests too. Regarding GB though, I wonder if I actually know most of what there is to know already given there general transparency about things over the years. I do like a well-produced documentary though.

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MaxxS

Apparently a lot of users of video game journalism websites aren't at all interested in video game journalism. I think it'd be neat having five different viewpoints on the whole video game journalism business and the video game industry as a whole.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By jjnen
@Dagbiker

Sorry for a totally unrelated question but is it "then" and not "than"? I've always used "than" but now I'm not sure when you're supposed to use it.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By crusader8463

Would be neat to see something based around 1up.com back when that site was in its prime. So many legendary folks over there at one point.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the idea, who's gonna make it happen? Somebody?

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Pop

I kind of already know how it went. I would like an action movie about making the website with like drug money and hookers and shoot-outs and video games.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arker101

@Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 said:

I would definitely like to see something like that but only if it goes deep into things like advertising, publisher relationships, review processes, PR and such. Some real nitty gritty type of shit.

@Dagbiker said:

It'd be nice to have it be about the people and the intricacies of their jobs.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dagbiker

@Rappelsiini said:

@Dagbiker

Sorry for a totally unrelated question but is it "then" and not "than"? I've always used "than" but now I'm not sure when you're supposed to use it.

It probably is than, Im very bad at knowing what word to use.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Claude

When does it air? Do they even call it that anymore on the internet?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RazielCuts

@drewmaw:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker said:

@Rappelsiini said:

@Dagbiker

It probably is than, Im very bad at knowing what word to use.

I was always taught that it went like this:

"than" is used for comparison

"then" is used when time/chronology is referenced.

I liked Sally more than Jenny. (comparison)

It was then, that I knew I loved her. (time/chronos)

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dagbiker

@drewmaw: Ok, thanks

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By ch3burashka

The other option should be "Yes, but only about ______". I want all the documentaries, not a "video game website general" documentary.

Also, it should be a mockumentary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CH3BURASHKA said:

The other option should be "Yes, but only about ______". I want all the documentaries, not a "video game website general" documentary.

Also, it should be a mockumentary.

haha! I think you may be on to something here :P There aren't enough mockumentaries in this world, that's for sure.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#43  Edited By Pepsiman

@Rappelsiini said:

@Dagbiker

I'll contribute to the madness and momentarily derail the thread. "Than" is used only in comparative situations. Usually it's used quantitatively to describe an amount of something being lesser or greater than something else, but it can also be used qualitatively. For example, "Those apples cost less than those oranges," is a simple example, while something like "My English fluency is less than that of my Japanese" demonstrates the same principle in a more abstract sense. Without exception, "than" is used only to make a comparison between two or more things. "Then," on the other hand, is used only when expressing statements about the passage of time. For example, first I wrote about how use "than" and then I explained how to use "then" just now. Technically, the two words are supposed to have slightly different pronunciations to make the difference more apparent verbally, but because most English dialects either slur "than" or just outright use the same pronunciation as "then," that's why it's normal to be confused.

Hence, to be a grammar Nazi, Dagbiker should have technically used "than" in his post, but I personally don't care all that much either way, but since I already went to the trouble of explaining the semantic differences, I thought I'd just go ahead and clear that up.

Anyway, to actually contribute to this thread, I agree that I'd be interested in more of a personality-driven piece rather than a purely historical/organizational one, if only because the stories become a lot more relatable when the stories of overarching phenomena are told in terms of individual actions. As the online community in general becomes more and more tight-knit across sites, everybody is kind of influencing the way everyone else acts both professionally and personally and it would be interesting to see how that's reflected in the antics of modern game journalists.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Patman99

I would love to watch it, be it either Giant Bomb alone or in tandem with other gaming websites. I love documentaries, they really show how much people care about a certain subject.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By selbie

A documentary on games journalism across all media would be good.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Otacon

The more video game documentaries that aren't marketing practices, the better.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DjCmeP

I thought the "How to build a bomb" series was a documentary and I'm sure if you have listened to the bombcast you probably know a lot of about the Bombcrew.

I don't think there is a need for one.