• 67 results
Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: How long is your average gaming session? (320 votes)

< 1 Hour 7%
1 - 2 Hours 40%
2- 3 Hours 28%
3 - 4 Hours 13%
4 - 5 Hours 6%
5 - 6 Hours 2%
6< Hours 3%

After hearing Brad talk about how long he can play DOTA for, It got me wondering how long the users of GB tend to play a game for at a time. I figured it might be interesting to see! Please put down the average length of a single gaming session. If, like myself, you tend to play for a shorter time,do something else and then go back and play more just put how long an individual session would be before you decide you want to do something else.

#51 Edited by benspyda (2042 posts) -

2 hours or so normally but when it comes to Dark Souls 2 it's more like 6 hours.

#52 Posted by BigJeffrey (5136 posts) -

Currently like 30 minutes. Need new game.

#53 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

I average about a half hour to forty five minutes.

#54 Edited by believer258 (12072 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Generally, an hour or two and then I take a break.

Per day, though, it's probably more like 4-6 on days when I don't work or go to school.

Still this, though on the weekdays that has shortened to about thirty minutes, maybe an hour. The "varies wildly" answer might probably be the best one these days, anyway.

EDIT: On the weekends, that's not "4-6 hours at a time". That's more like 1-2 hour sessions enough times in the day to add up to 4-6 hours, so like 2 in the morning and 2 in the late afternoon or something. Seems like a noteworthy enough distinction to me.

#55 Posted by mems1224 (265 posts) -

I can usually only play in one to two hour chunks because I have a bad back.

#57 Posted by Altered_Confusion (197 posts) -

I'd say on average I'm trying to put in 3-4 hours, though with now having a kid, that time is being broken up. I do like to keep my gaming session going so if he doesn't need me for a little bit I can quickly sneak back and get in a couple more minutes.

#58 Posted by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

It varies. Generally I will play for less than an hour at a time. Sometimes I will just fire up something like VVVVVV and I'll play for less than 5 minutes and that's me done for the day.

Sometimes I really get into a game and I will play it for 5+ hours. I've played Skyrim all day for a week before.

#59 Posted by ninnanuam (288 posts) -

I cram 4-5 hours two to three times a week. I don't get a lot of time to play games during the weekdays as my GF generally hogs the big TV weeknights, so I usually get my gaming in early Saturday and Sunday morning before we head out and once every two weeks I have a day off from work where, if I have a good game on the go I'll play for 8 or so with a break in the middle for cleaning up/lunch.

#60 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Depends on the game. Usually I'm distracted after about an hour but some games, like Dark Souls, can keep me playing all day long.

#61 Edited by Arach666 (76 posts) -

Couple of hours tops,there´s some exceptions(especially if I start playing a Paradox game)but in general that´s how long I can take these days without having a break.

#62 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

30-45 minutes. I don't play games anymore than require a session longer than that.

#63 Edited by Capum15 (4959 posts) -

Variable depending on game.

#64 Edited by Nodima (1273 posts) -

My AVERAGE session is usually just one or two online ranked games of NBA 2Kx, but when I'm playing a story-based game I can find a reason to get invested in that session can easily stretch 5-10 hours. GTA V was three 10-15 hour days in a row for example, Tomb Raider was four 3-4 hour days spread across a week, Last of Us was a pair of 9 hour sessions back-to-back, Bioshock Infinite was two five hour sessions, and so on.

I'm a huge proponent of binging on entertainment, though. My favorite TV shows these days tend to be shows I get into late in the game (Community, Breaking Bad, Parks & Rec, etc.) and have a huge back catalog I can obsessively digest; it also helps with keeping the weird condensing of time going on with a show like BB which is a little under a year spread over 5 seasons and 6 or 7 years of production.

#65 Posted by BradBrains (1141 posts) -

Usually 45 minutes or so for most games though games I get really into (dark souls) I've done some crazy long marathon sessions. It's harder to do for more than a few reasons now that I'm older

#66 Edited by Poonz (138 posts) -

On the weekends, when I'm not busy or the fiancee isn't around I can play for 5-8 hours depending on how much time I have. Regularly 1-3 hours during the week after she's in bed.

At work when I'm not too busy though I can usually get in tons of time. When I'm printing as all I do is sit and watch the press for 8-12 hours. It's the reason I got a Vita and a 3DS.

#67 Posted by JadeGL (945 posts) -

Between 1 and 2 hours. But if I really love a game, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout 3, I will play for 3-4 hours, maybe more if I have nothing else to do and I am really into it. The first Mass Effect was much like this. I ended up playing from around 7-8 at night to 1 in the morning, and I had to get up at 7 am for work. :)

Moderator Online
#68 Posted by zombie2011 (5026 posts) -

~20 minutes i don't play games as much as i used too.

#69 Edited by Nightriff (5238 posts) -

Nowadays 1-2 hours if I'm really lucky. Having a kid really cuts down the time and when he finally goes down to sleep I'm too tired to play much longer (typically). Occasionally I will brute force endings of games regardless of tiredness (see Tomb Raider last weekend, Dust a month ago) but I usually try not to go to crazy with gaming sessions.

EDIT: When I was single it was easily 4 hour average, used to play 8 hours straight of Rock Band pretty much everyday (by myself even, man I miss music games).