• 52 results
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

You start a great game but more and more games keep coming out and you eventually leave that great game only halfway done, how long must pass until you deiced that it's not worth continuing since you are in the middle of it? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? Do you just press on and finish it?

I know the above scenario may not happen to everyone but I'm wondering what the people who it does happen to do.

Thanks!

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Metzo_Paino

If I'm starting a modern game I will often finish it before allowing myself to play anything else. I can't afford to spend £30-£40 on a game and leave it unfinished.

With older releases it's much harder to stay focussed on them when new and shiny things are coming out. I tried to go through Okami and Final Fantasy XII last year and didn't finish either because I reached that third act padding and lost interest. I want to go back to them and finish them, especially Okami, but I think by now I'll have to start all over again.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

I will often painfully drag myself back into a game to finish it no matter what. I remember I left Devil May Cry 4 lying around for probably a year before I got back to finishing it - that was painful.

Best thing is to just not buy a new game before you get what you wanted out of the old one. This also helps calm your hype. I was ready to buy Max Payne 3 day of release but I had some other stuff to play and now I realize that it probably wuldn't be the hottest full price purchase. Same thing with Syndicate, I waited and now it's pretty cheap to get but I don't even know if I care that much to play it anymore.

One game I probably won't get back to is Skyrim - I did a bunch of quests and despite not finishing the main storyline I dunno I just don't care about it. The idea of slogging it out through those caves is not super appealing.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

This happens to me ALL the time. I'm looking at you Skyrim... When I do get distracted by another game that gets it's hooks in me I sooner or later (sometimes a year or so later) return to the games I left and they catch me and don't let go until they're done. There is no Statute of Limitations when it comes to finishing good games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Oldirtybearon

My theory is that if a game isn't worth making the time for, then it's not worth playing to you. Just like with anything else, if you truly want to keep playing, you'll make the time.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By 49th

I usually leave most of my games 3/4 done, but come back to them at some point to finish. It's an annoying habit because I usually don't remember what is going on or how to play properly.  
On Friday I finished Shadows of the Damned for the first time after buying it on launch day - I even liked that game a lot but just stopped playing it for no reason.  
If I really dislike a game I won't finish it, but that's rare (Assassin's Creed 1 fuck that game).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Some random amount of time. Usually, I'm a bit hesitant to jump back in, but when I do, I find myself saying, "Why did I ever leave you?". In fact, I'm going through this right now on a one-day basis, although given the game in question, you can understand my hesitance.

Grimmy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Grimmy616

Played Project Sylpheed in 2007 but never finished it. Saw it again in 2010 and remembered playing and liking it so I gave it a go. I will never understand how I could play/like this game. Weird.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The_Nubster

@Video_Game_King said:

Some random amount of time. Usually, I'm a bit hesitant to jump back in, but when I do, I find myself saying, "Why did I ever leave you?".

This happens to me quite a bit too. Strangely, even though I know it happens to me, I continue to hesitate to get into games I've ditched.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy

I very rarely give up on a game. The only ones I can think of that I've done it with are Max Payne Rachet & Clank Quest for Booty and Patapon. Max Payne and Quest for Booty weren't good enough mechanically and Patapon requires absolute silence to play well and I was not willing to turn off all distractions at the time.

It took me 7 years to 100% Gran Turismo 3. It took me 5 months to complete the second last race in Ridge Racer. It took a year and a half and the PSN outage to go back and give Brutal Legend another shot. I don't give up on games very easily.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ArmedBear

This happens to me all the time around the Christmas Steam sales. Picked up Bastion, played it til I found the Singer, then picked up L.A. Noire, and didn't play Bastion again for two months. Had to start all over. Which is typical for me. If I leave a game alone for a month or two then screw it I have to start over.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson

I've got a good 30ish games on steam that I've played for an hour or so at most and a worrying amount more that I'm yet to boot up, about 8 PS3 games I'm yet to begin and well fuck my 360, so it doesn't count. I've just accepted that I'll never play a lot of them at this point. Games which I quit mid playing tend to be worse, Dead Space 2 and Witcher 2 both being prime examples, but at this point I don't remember what happened before I left them and I can't be bothered to start them again, so I just leave them despite knowing they're excellent games.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Svenzon

It depends on how daunting it feels to go back. I went back and finished Dead Space 1 almost two years after abandoning it and the second game one year after release. Still haven't finished Skyrim or Reckoning since I don't want to it be like "pick the game up, play some, then put it back down for X amount of time". Usually it takes some time to build up the right amount of motivation for me. It can be weeks, it can be months and sometimes, like I said, years.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hatking

It really depends on the game. I've been known to go back and wrap up older games and also to sell off games that I didn't think I'd ever get around to. For instance, I recently sold Assassin's Creed Revelations because, having bought it on release and still not having played much more than half of it, I didn't think I'd ever want to go back. However, I also bought Skyrim on release, and though I never finished it, I have no intentions of selling the game - in fact, I just put it back in late last night.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took me 11 months to get through Mexico in Red Dead Redemption. I bought it the week it came out because everyone couldn't shut the fuck up about it. Played for a weekend, and was not seeing why Brad was losing his shit. Got to Mexico and just dead stopped. No way.

A month later, everyone still jizzing all over the place, went back. Mexico sucks the worst. What a horrible fucking 5 hour sequence. Quit again.

Came back 5 months later. Played through maybe 2-3 missions before I quit again. Rarely played a game where I literally wanted to kill every character in it. God.

Came back 5 months after that. Fuck it man I won't let this piece of shit beat me. Tied a woman to the tracks and got that achievement. FINALLY FINISHED MEXICO. Hey guess what, after Mexico, Red Dead Redemption is super good. I finally understood why Brad and Vinny thought that game was not completely enervating. Game has a great third act.

But man, fuck Mexico.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dagbiker

Usually I will play a game for about two weeks before something happens and I stop. I get board, something new comes out, or what have you. I don't have a set time per say, but sometimes I will get an Itch for a certain type of game play, or a certain type of game.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By KillyDarko

I usually don't start a new game until I finish the previous... unless the game I'm playing sucks-- but in that case, I'll probably just never touch it again.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BBQBram

I only have that problem with older games where I'll go, y'know what, I should play game X again. I have a nice session or two and then it gets completely swamped by new releases. The new stuff I usually finish and if I love it enough immediately 100% or at least somewhere close to that. It's the new game plusses and second playthroughs that end up on the back burner. Don't mind so much though, I'll always have something to dive back into. I've almost never regretted a purchase because I'm informed on what I buy and why, because I know my own tastes all too well.

Also, things like that don't bother me because;

@Oldirtybearon said:

My theory is that if a game isn't worth making the time for, then it's not worth playing to you. Just like with anything else, if you truly want to keep playing, you'll make the time.

I'm not going to worry about a lingering obligation to some game because it's just my entertainment.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@BBQBram: As is your right, but this self-flagellation over not getting around to finishing games baffles me. If you truly wanted to finish it, you would. That's all I was pointing out.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BBQBram

@Oldirtybearon: Duder, I was agreeing with you. Sorry if my writing is too vague. ;)

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By Danteveli

Lately I finished Onimusha 4 after about 4 or 5 years and I have games waiting longer on my to finish list.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ravenlight

Okay guys. Confession time. I've been trying to finish Final fantasy VIII for 12 years. Every time I get to disc four, something else draws me away.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Commisar123

It really depends on what made me quit int he first place

Whampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Whampire

If I stop playing a game, I would say that there's a 95% chance that I'm never going to touch it again. Take that, Skyrim.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uhtaree

3-6 months if the game doesn't do much for its genre, 3-5 years if the game is genre defining.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akeldama

If I boot the game up and have no idea whats going on and what I was doing, I start over.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Harkat

Skyrim, like everyone else.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sonicrift

I got Xenoblade day 1 and it's been competing for my time with Wind Waker and Diablo 3. I actually really like the game too. I just haven't had the time for all 3. I'm about 3 hours into it. I might have to start from the beginning.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar
@NekuSakuraba said:

You start a great game but more and more games keep coming out and you eventually leave that great game only halfway done, how long must pass until you deiced that it's not worth continuing since you are in the middle of it? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? Do you just press on and finish it?

I know the above scenario may not happen to everyone but I'm wondering what the people who it does happen to do.

Thanks!

I'm still going to finish FFVI one of these days.  I swear!  I may have left it unbeaten about 5 to 6 times over the course of 14 years, but I'll do it!
Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sbaitso

This usually happens to me with really long games. I'll burn out and it will get shelved for an extended period of time until I really want to play that style of game again, but since I'm usually like half way through I just start again. A good example is Final Fantasy, I've never actually finished a FF game before. I own 7 and have played through most of it several times, but I've never completed it. Same with 12, and I really like that game, it's just very long, and I'm gonna get distracted by other titles before I have time to finish it.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sbaitso

Also, it's good to see I'm not the only one on here who has trouble with the Final Fantasy games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Justin258

I got Darksiders about the same time that Gears of War 3 came out and I only beat it yesterday.

I still haven't beaten Red Dead Redemption, Saints Row 2, or Battlefield 3, though the campaign of the latter isn't what I'd call great, or even good, and the fact that I was halfway through it when my campaign save data got corrupted doesn't help its chances any.

There's also Tomb Raider Anniversary, which I've had since getting my Xbox. I like it, I just haven't put it back in, and Dragon Age Origins. I'll put that one in, play it for ten hours, then get sidetracked for a few months. I really like the game, it's just LONG.

Rounding out this list of 360 games I haven't beaten are Halo Wars, PGR4, and Forza Motorsport 2. The latter two are long racing games, the former is a strategy game which is a genre I've never been a huge fan of.

There are more but those are the major ones.

EDIT: Also, Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerilla, and Fallout NV.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By pyromagnestir

Depends on the game. The easier it is to jump back into the sooner I may do that. The harder the game is to jump back into the more hesitant I am to pick it up. Generally, I'm a one game at a time til it's finished guy. But there are games that I've put aside for one reason or another. Here are a couple extreme examples

Sometimes if it's a game I want to play more of, and I left off close enough to the beginning I'll just restart it. Metroid Prime 2 is an example of this, and I think close enough was was actually like 8 hours in, I originally started it in November 2005, fought and lost to a boss a couple times and then put it aside to replay some Eternal Darkness, I think, then just went on a whole run of other games. I restarted it in December 2007, and wrapped it up in March 2008.

Other times I'll pick up where I left off if it's too far to go back. Final Fantasy XII was an example of this, I put 45 hours into it back in December 2006 and then stopped because I was doing horribly at college in small part because I was slacking off and playing this game. I didn't go back and finish it until August 2009, in which I dropped another 45 hours into it and beat it. Jade Empire is also on my shelf too far along for me to begin from the start and I still haven't gone back to that even though I do intend too.

I don't think I ever stop and say I'm never going to play this game again, even though effectively that's what I'm doing in some cases, like as I look over at my shelf I see God of War, which I'll probably never play again, and ditto Resident Evil 4. But who knows, as I get the strangest urges sometimes.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AngelN7

I don't have much time or money for games so I finish the game I have before buying a new one, if I buy 2 and one if significally longer than the other I finish the shorter one first simple, the one time I broke that rule was when I bought Mass Effect 1 before finishing Prototype but I was getting so bored of that game, Mass Effect almost made me quit Prototype for good but I finished it

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EXTomar

History has shown that I don't "complete" a game in the first push and something interrupts then it never gets completed.

richmanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By richmanuk

@Humanity said:

Best thing is to just not buy a new game before you get what you wanted out of the old one. This also helps calm your hype. I was ready to buy Max Payne 3 day of release but I had some other stuff to play and now I realize that it probably wuldn't be the hottest full price purchase. Same thing with Syndicate, I waited and now it's pretty cheap to get but I don't even know if I care that much to play it anymore.

This.

If there's one good thing to come out of my achievement junky-ism it's that I very rarely move on to a new game without finishing the games I've started. In the pile of games I can see right now I have;

• 25 completed games
  • 3 games I haven't started yet
  • 2 games I've started but never finished

Like Humanity says, it's also a great help in cooling that hype that usually drives games purchases and makes sure you only pick up stuff you really want, and usually at a much lower price. Of course there's the downsides; sometimes you miss out on the online buzz if a game's appeal is short term, sometimes you put off picking up a game because you think it will take too long to complete rather than because you don't want to play it, sometimes you don't buy games where you consider it a "risk" that you might not like it, and sometimes you just plain forget about games gone by.

The 3 games I haven't started yet are probably good examples of all these problems; Mass Effect, Dead Space and Brutal Legend. One day I'll get to them! :)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#37  Edited By Humanity

@RichmanUK: As a huge Dead Space fan I urge you to rip off that foil and play that game. I think it must be one of my favorite games of the last few years - and it was a complete surprise for me. I don't even like survival horror or scary games but I knew a guy in Gamestop that would exchange games for me sometimes - I had bought something that I wasn't too happy with and gave it to him and he brought me back Dead Space without even asking for it. Ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By TobbRobb

I never really give up on games. But I have a few on indefinite hiatus.

I really should finish Nier....

richmanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By richmanuk

I might just do that :) I'm just finishing up the collectibles of LA Noire and then it was going to come down to a coin flip between Mass Effect and Dead Space. Mass Effect I'm hoping will get me into the game enough to grab #2 and #3 and finally see what all the fuss is about that dodgy ending! ;)

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By C2C

I finish most games I buy before buying another. There are exceptions of course, SMT: Nocturne being the best example due to its difficulty and size.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Morrow

@NekuSakuraba said:

You start a great game but more and more games keep coming out and you eventually leave that great game only halfway done

Happens to me A LOT :(

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lunar_Aura

While I don't know the exact length, all I can say is that RPG's are the worst for me.

There's nothing like coming back to a save file where you don't know what the hell is going on, how to fight the enemies, or where to go next.

So I just start from the beginning and play until around that same damn point. Repeat ad nauseum until I'm 90. I'll never finish Secret of Mana. :(

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By leebmx

I used to be a strict one game at a time man, but things have changed recently. I usually like to get right down into the story and feel of a game. I can remember some great times playing ME2 night after night and if something grabs me like that I will work my way through and get fully engrossed.

The thing is it takes me a long time to finish games. I normally play on a harder setting and I like to take my time, I will walk not fast travel etc, and take in all the vistas and little hidden corners so recently I have been playing long games and breaking them up with faster, more shootery titles so I don't get bored. For example I just stopped playing Witcher 2 to blast through Max Payne, although that game is longer (and harder) than I expected.

It depends what a game is for as to whether I will finish it also. Skyrim and Just Cause 2 are both games I have put hundreds of hours into and neither of them are anywhere near complete but are games I play to wander and muck about with occasional spurts of useful activities. These days games aren't all about finishing - some are toys in the traditional sense, to pick up, play with and then put down again.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By nickux

@NekuSakuraba said:

Thanks!

Once I start a game I make a point to finish it before starting another. Same with books, etc. I made this a rule for myself awhile back when I vowed not to amass another backlog. I'm currently backlog free finally!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@nickux said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Thanks!

Once I start a game I make a point to finish it before starting another. Same with books, etc. I made this a rule for myself awhile back when I vowed not to amass another backlog. I'm currently backlog free finally!

It's fine you had a backlog, we are human after all.

richmanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By richmanuk

@Humanity: Finally kicked off Dead Space last week - must say I'm enjoying it muchly. Couple of minor niggles (I didn't like the camera angle at all to start with), but I'm having a lot of fun, glad I picked it up after all this time :)

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

With few exceptions if I stop playing a game for a while it's because I lost interest playing. Thus rarely go back to it. Not to say all games I drop are bad they just lose me for whatever reason.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By gabha

I'll take me getting into a newer generation for me not to finish a game I've started with the intention of seeing it through,

I still plan on going back and finishing Mass  Effect 1, and oblivion for example, both of which I started playing near their release dates.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Winternet

When you look at your full hdd and decide that something needs to go.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wallzii

This happens to me quite a lot. Generally I can just hop back in regardless of how long it's been, but for story intensive games, I'll usually boot it up to kickstart my memory and read a synopsis up to that point if need be.

I bought Mass Effect 2 on release day and still haven't finished it. Not because it isn't fucking awesome, because it is, but because something else came out and I had to play it, for some reason or another. I believe I am about to enter the Omega Relay and was just finishing some side quests before doing that. Since I have Mass Effect 3 waiting for me at home when I get back to North America, I'll probably have to finish that soon.

Although I also have Diablo 3 waiting at home for me too... That will probably take priority, and so the cycle continues...