How many "but" moments can reviews have?

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sushbag

Here's what I mean. Game reviews right now have this cool new thing where the reviewer points out a glaring problem in the game, then proceeds to say "but..." and then dismisses it as a minor quibble, before giving the game a high rating. My question is, how many of these "but..." moments can a review have before you, personally, just stop reading and disregard the review and the score?

Pointing out a number of problems, but then rating a game highly just to make sure your readers still play it is not a good thing. Game reviews in general seem to be overrating a lot of games right now. We can all speculate as to the real reasons behind this phenomena, but whatever the cause, this is the reality. It's as if game journalists expect no one to read their work if the score is anything but a 9/10, 5/5 kind of thing. That, or they don't actually care enough about honesty and integrity, or they've forgotten about all the games that really do deserve top ratings.

No game is perfect and that's exactly what I'm saying. If a game has a number of minor flaws, guess what? Sometimes all those little problems actually add up to a "don't buy this game" problem collectively. And humorously, when reviewers do get it right (Mirror's Edge), elitist douchebags come out of the woodwork to defend the ideas behind the game rather than the game itself.

Three. If I see three or more "but..." occurrences in a review, I disregard it. Maybe two if I'm skeptical to begin with. Go back and look at reviews, seriously. Add up the "but..." moments and see what they say.

"Well the framerate is sometimes (read: distractingly more than 'sometimes') erratic, but it doesn't hamper the experience." Or, "The voice acting leaves something to be desired, but it doesn't hurt the story." Or, "The battles does get repetitive, but the rest of the game is so good that it's not an issue." Well I'm certainly not even thinking about playing a game with all those issues. Yet games that fail to impress, fail to deliver consistent quality are rated highly, with a few "but..." moments thrown in, I guess in a vain attempt at credibility by the reviewer. Disgusting.

I say stop with the fear of giving a game an average score if it's an average product. Don't cover up the flaws (or fail to acknowledge them entirely) and expect me to take you seriously. Any reviewer that gave, and these are just recent examples, games such as CoD: WaW, Far Cry 2, or Fallout 3 top scores definitely has a few "but" issues, and is also afraid to properly address the flaws.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr
3 and a 3/4 chainsaw bayonets.

Apart of a well written review is informing the readers of things they could find annoying or frustrating.

Also wtf are you talking about.