• 66 results
#1 Posted by sarahsdad (1037 posts) -

#2 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

PC only.

#3 Edited by sarahsdad (1037 posts) -

I know the number can change from year to year based on finances, or what games are coming out, but I'm curious what the average is.

And since I can't edit the original title, 'new' in this case means a New, full price, retail copy. Not just 'new to me'

#4 Posted by sarahsdad (1037 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Yeah, I considered having a "PC only, Bro" option, but figured the None would work just as well.

#5 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

im pretty much PC only now since i build a gaming PC and i only have a PS3 since my last 360 died, the last PS3 game i bought was Dark Souls.

#6 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Console and retail - about 100 per year - DS/3DS/Wii/PSP/Xbox 360/PS3

#7 Posted by Mistzero (286 posts) -

@Contrarian: My God that is a lot.

#8 Posted by billyhoush (1186 posts) -

I usually buy 4-6. 2 AAA in Oct/Nov for the holiday break. 2 in the new year and then whatever older discounted titles I missed in between.

#9 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Mistzero said:

Yes. Yes it is. I have consistently bought about 130 games a year over the last 5 years and at leat 80% of those are new. It didn't seem that long ago my bookcase cracked a thousand games and now it easily exceeds 1200.

#10 Posted by Tennmuerti (7720 posts) -

3-4? something like that, depends if there is anything i'm interested in coming out but is not coming to PC

#11 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Probably 1.

#12 Posted by jakkblades (396 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yes. Yes it is. I have consistently bought about 130 games a year over the last 5 years and at leat 80% of those are new. It didn't seem that long ago my bookcase cracked a thousand games and now it easily exceeds 1200.

I hope you don't have a family to take care of or a mortgage to pay.

#13 Posted by Slay3r1583 (583 posts) -

All of them. I don't buy used games. I don't know. I don't keep track of how many games I buy a year.

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6059 posts) -

I bought 2 last year, Dark Souls and LA Noire. I like to pretend I didn't buy LA Noire, so 1.

#15 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@jakkblades said:

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yes to both. Hey, everyone has a hobby. I don't drink, smoke, gamble or do drugs and I get a good income. There are far more expensive hobbies out there, plus, I am a bargain hunter and would be lucky to average 30% of full retail across all purchases. You shouldn't be surprised how cheaply you can pick up a game if you are prepared to wait 6-12 months to buy it.

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

Yeah for real. Even if you (generously) average that out to 40 a game, accounting for sales and portable game purchases, that's 4g's a year on games alone. Damn. Maybe he's just a balla shot calla.

Closer to 3k.

#16 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@jakkblades said:

@Contrarian said:

@Mistzero said:

Yeah for real. Even if you (generously) average that out to 40 a game, accounting for sales and portable game purchases, that's 4g's a year on games alone. Damn. Maybe he's just a balla shot calla.

#17 Posted by HarlechQuinn (438 posts) -

Probably not as much as Contrarian, but pretty close to his numbers I guess... I stopped to count the games I buy, it's better for my conscience ;)

#18 Posted by DeF (4688 posts) -

sheesh, 7-9 as the max before the "more" option?

including sales and stumbling across good deals every now and then, it probably comes to 3-5 A MONTH. (with only a few being full price releases)

#19 Posted by sarahsdad (1037 posts) -

@Contrarian: I don't think I'm ever going to get close to that, but on a much smaller scale, it's exactly the sort of thing that's going through my mind. Looking at what I spend on new stuff, I've been spending more time lately cutting back, and playing older games.

The big ones that got me thinking about it recently were Hitman, and Borderlands. I have Borderlands out as a rental, and having bought Bloodmoney for 10.00, plus knowing I could go down to GameStop and get Borderlands for about what it's costing me for a monthly rental has me really thinking about how important it is to play something "right now", vs. spending the same amount 6-12 months latter on 2 or maybe 3 games.

#20 Posted by Warchief (646 posts) -

Only buy games on the PC.

#21 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Around 10 a month normally so around 120 a year I suppose.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

None because I have no moneys. Soon, I'll buy most major 360 games that aren't JRPGs, or shit, or on PC.

#23 Posted by ProfessorK (797 posts) -

about 1 a month so at least 12 in a year maybe more around black friday because of sales

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Now that I have a new PC it's fallen to about 20-25. It was probably around 40-50 before.

#25 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I would say around 5, but it varies by year, of course. I think I should make a habit out of waiting a week and picking up a used copy though. Scored a great deal on Dark Souls (£17 for the limited edition in near perfect condition) just one week after release and I certainly would like to be able to save that kind of money on every game I buy.

#26 Edited by onan (1277 posts) -

I buy a lot of games new that aren't the original retail price, does that count?

Like I JUST received Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon in the mail from Newegg and that only cost me $9.99 shipped.

If we're talking full $60 retail titles, that number has gone down a lot. Used to be 2-3 a month, but this last year I've realized I rarely get around to those games before their price drops, so now I ask myself if I intend to play the game through from beginning to end the moment I get it home. If the answer is no, I hold off on it. I forget what kicked it off, but I recently peeled the shrinkwrap off a game I had purchased for $60 new but was down to $20 everywhere only a month or two after release. I looked at the shrinkwrap in my hand and thought, "Was that actually worth $40?" The answer was a definitive no. Looking at my shelf right now, I pre-ordered Child of Eden and it's STILL wrapped up. I paid full price and Newegg has it for 9.99 right now. That's nonsense. Supporting the industry is one thing, but at a certain point I'm almost literally throwing money away.

Actually, thanks for this thread. I just cancelled my long-standing pre-order for Lollipop Chainsaw. Just realized it didn't fit my updated guidelines for a new retail title.

#27 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Probably 15-20. Sometimes more if it's a particularly good year.

#28 Posted by Anlino (79 posts) -

Four to six, probably. A lot more on XBLA, GoD and PSN.

#29 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Practically none if we're talking PC ports of console games that are available on Steam. Skyrim and Saints Row: The Third are the only ports I've purchased for full price in maybe two years. That's not to say I don't go broke during the biannual Steam Sales. And pick up half a dozen titles for the price of one.

To those of you who purchase mid-to-high double digits of games each year, HOW TO YOU FIND TIME TO PLAY THEM ALL?? Madmen, the lot of you.

#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Two for my PS3

#31 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

like 30

#32 Posted by s10129107 (1164 posts) -

Last console game i bought was MK9. That was over a year ago. Been buying PC games really. There isnt really a button for me.

#33 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

1-3

The only game I'm definitely getting this year is Hitman which will be on PC, so console game wise I could be looking at 0 new ones excluding downloadables.

#34 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

i would say 4-6 a year. i don't think i have bought a lot this year. i am trying to beat the games that i have.

#35 Posted by Donkeycow (550 posts) -

How can someone buy over 100 games a year... I don't even.... What? I probably buy between 4 and 8 new console games a year and then maybe another dozen used and PC titles. So far this year i've bought 2, being the Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3.

#36 Posted by Washa_Endrya (11 posts) -

Wow to the options of the poll. I bought 35 3DS games alone last year.

#37 Posted by Brendan (7511 posts) -

I average about 6 console games. Add about 4 extra for downloadable and Steam titles.

#38 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I really only buy digital download games on PC anymore and usually old ones at that.

For consoles the past couple of years I've been averaging around 1 to 3 games bought new per year and rent the rest.

#39 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I only buy about 1 game at $60 a year. I'm still in school and really can't afford to spend that much on a game.

#40 Posted by Anupsis (271 posts) -

I have morphed into a PC gamer ever since I got my new PC. I have never had a good computer before and now its the only thing I am on most of the time. I still play my consoles but not nearly as much.

#41 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Way more than I can physically play!

#42 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Depends, i dont remember how many games i bought last year, but it was a hell of alot.

#43 Posted by Giantstalker (1443 posts) -

4-6 console games, a ton more on the PC. The amount I've spent on my PC though... damn.

#44 Posted by Creciente (82 posts) -

I mostly prefer to play on consoles, so most of my purchases are done for those. It's difficult to say how many I buy a year exactly, but it should be somewhere around 20-25 (home & portable), perhaps a few more. And a couple of games for PC every now and then. I often wait until price drops and hunt for older games (unless it's the rare "NEED. RIGHT. NOW" kind), not getting anything used, so everything is new. Backlog's not getting any smaller lately and that saddens me.

#45 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I really have no idea, I'll go long stretches playing nothing and then buy 4 games in 2 weeks come October/November. I'd guess a game ever month and a half if I had to make an average.

#46 Posted by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

4-6 FULL RETAIL is what I put but thats probably high for me. I get a lot of mine discounted from Amazon when they price drop em. And nothing seems that appealing this year to me for console besides Last of Us.

#47 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

10-12. depends on whats coming ofc. This year? only 4.

#48 Posted by Flyinnmunkee (28 posts) -

I have gotten 2 AAA games this year, and downloaded 14 ( PSN Steam) I'm 17 I don't have enough cash flow to get everything I want.

#49 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

4-6 depending on the year. This year it will probably only be about 3, not counting XBLA/PSN games. I'm not interested in anything else coming out this year and I've already purchased two. On Black Friday I'll probably pick up FFXIII-2 if it on sale for $20.

#50 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

2. Maybe 3 if I have some spare money.