• 56 results
Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: How Many Emulators Do You Have? (176 votes)

1 11%
2 10%
3 11%
4 5%
5 6%
6 4%
7 2%
8 1%
9 1%
10 3%
11 0%
12 1%
13 0%
14 1%
MOAR! 12%
I don't have any. 31%

Recently while I was getting a PSX and NES emulator running, I wondered how many Emulators do you Duders have installed? I only have two, don't really need more.

#1 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

I don't have any.

#2 Posted by Wacomole (818 posts) -

None. No one would ever want to emulate me.

#3 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I use five: FCEUX, ZSNES, PCSX, KEGA, DOSBox

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Does forcing Windows to boot into Japanese so I can play a few non-English games a count as emulation? Because my answer is seven, then.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (4991 posts) -

None, I like to play games the way they are meant to be played, in their natural habitat

#6 Edited by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I HAVE ZERO

#7 Edited by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Currently I have, Epsxe, Pcsx2, PJ64, Znes, Dolphin, DeSmuME, whatever the NES one is called, does dosbox count? That makes for 8. But I've tried out and screwed around with a lot more.

Does forcing Windows to boot into Japanese so I can play a few non-English games a count as emulation? Because my answer is seven, then.

I also do that.

Emulation is fun :D

#8 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Currently two - Dolphin and PCSX2. Both are pretty amazing.

#9 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

3 or so, just for my iPhone. A snes, nes, and gba I believe.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11846 posts) -

DosBox, FCEUX, and Dolphin

#11 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1382 posts) -

I have 3 emulators

1. PSX: Could use my PS3 but QUICKSAVES
  2. Visual Boy Advance: For when i play Pokemon, could use my gba but X4 speed changes the game completely
  3. Dolphin: Just messing around one day with it and its pretty neat

wait 2 more, a GBA and SNES one on my old PSP

#12 Posted by Zella (731 posts) -

Just PCSX2 to play the occasional PS2 game. Also have a gba one for my transformer tablet. I rarely use either of them.

#13 Edited by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

I have 15 emulators on my Mac partition, and then PCSX2 and Project64 on my Windows partition (the Mac versions of those are super unstable).

• Boxer (MS-DOS)
  • DeSmuME (Nintendo DS)
  • Dolphin (GameCube, Wii)
  • fMSX (MSX, MSX2)
  • Kega Fusion (Genesis, Sega CD, Game Gear, Master System)
  • KiGB (Game Boy/Color)
  • MagicEngine (TurboGrafx-16)
  • Mac Boy Advance (GBA)
  • MAME OS X (arcade, Neo Geo)
  • Neopocott (Neo Geo Pocket)
  • Nestopia (NES, FDS)
  • Oswan (WonderSwan)
  • PCSX (PlayStation)
  • ScummVM
  • Snes9x (SNES)
  • ViBE (Virtual Boy)
#14 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1584 posts) -

I have 12, some barely work, others are great.

1. Chankast (Dreamcast)
  2. Visual Boy Advance (GBA)
  3. Dolphin (Wii/GC)
  4. Fusion (Genesis)
  5. Jnes (NES)
  6. Project64 (N64)
  7. DeSmuME (DS)
  8. ePCSX (PS1)
  9. PCSX2 (PS2)
  10. JPCSP (PSP)
  11. Satourne (Saturn)
  12. ZSNES (SNES)

A lot of these I have never used or just messed around with briefly, I just downloaded them all a while back because why the hell not? I do use Dolphin and PCSX2 quite often simply because it's a lot easier than digging those systems out of closet to play the games I've been going back to recently, and they look a hell of lot better running in HD than shitty composite cables in 480i would.

#15 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Dolphin and PCSX2 and I stream sometimes! Almost finished God Hand

#16 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Playing SNES games on my PC would be cool but that whole scene just seemed way more complicated for me to want to fuck with it.

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2363 posts) -

Like 8

#18 Edited by Pr1mus (3873 posts) -

2 right now.

Dolphin and PCSX2.

Otherwise i use bsnes or snes9x for snes games.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

None. I use to be into the whole Roms and emulators thing but eh... I don't care anymore. Also most ROMS sites are super sketchy and I like my computer as virus and spyware free as possible.

#20 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

None. I use to be into the whole Roms and emulators thing but eh... I don't care anymore. Also most ROMS sites are super sketchy and I like my computer as virus and spyware free as possible.

CoolRom is a perfectly safe website and it's my primary source for good ROM files.

#21 Posted by myketuna (1679 posts) -

I believe I just have Dolphin because I wanted to try out some Wii games in HD and see the beauty for myself. Haven't touched it since then though.

#22 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3202 posts) -

IS THIS A TRAP?

#23 Posted by Daveyo520 (6682 posts) -

6 >.>

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11626 posts) -

Enough to suit my needs for playing games that would require me to mod my console or otherwise import junk from japan. Wait, ARE YOU A COP? You have to tell me if you're a cop.

#25 Edited by MEATBALL (3194 posts) -

PCSX2 and Dolphin, I rarely use them, though, since my computer isn't really good enough to offer any advantages over playing the real thing/using my PS3 and Wii's backwards compatibility.

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

none, cus im not a BITCH

#27 Posted by Ezakael (933 posts) -

I thought talking about this sort of thing was frowned upon here, and against the rules for that matter.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

@ezakael said:

I thought talking about this sort of thing was frowned upon here, and against the rules for that matter.

It's been discussed pretty openly (and even encouraged) in other threads. I think where you start to get into trouble is linking to emulators/roms or talking about how to obtain them.

I could be totally wrong, though.

#29 Posted by mrcraggle (1910 posts) -

Back in my teenage years I'd use whatever SNES emulator was out there so I could play Japanese Dragonball games but that's the extent of it for me outside of using ScummVM if that counts.

#30 Posted by MikeydCT (563 posts) -

NES, SNES, GBA, CDi I mostly use them to play crappy games. Right now I'm playing though Bubsy.

#31 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

2. Dosbox and Wine. Though I guess wine isn't really an emulator. But it might as well be. Everything else I play is on it's native console. (I do even have a win98 machine, but it's hard to get things to run well on it).

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5617 posts) -

I have a GBA Emulator on my computer and psp because my copies of Fire Emblem kept breaking and I was sick of buying new ones, and cause I wanted to try out fan translations of FE6 and Mother 3. Then there's an Snes emulator, mostly for obscure jrpg's that never got released on VC, or for games that never made it out of Japan. I also have an N64 emulator, though this one is almost exclusively for Goemon because that game is hella expensive online, and between my 64 and my wii I basically own all of the other good ones for that platform. I also have an NDS emulator for Shin Monshou no Nazo. I should really look up the progress of that translation...

#33 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I recently started using NullDC to play my Japanese copy of Shenmue as my actual Dreamcast refuses to play backups or games from other regions. (it's one of the few models that this is true for, damn it)

#34 Edited by Cyrus_Saren (534 posts) -

I have two: SNES and GBA. Haven't used them in a long time though.

#35 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Just ZSNES and whatever the hell the PS1 emulator is because I wanted to go back to play Symphony of the Night.

I want to get Dolphin working but I've had a fucking miserable time getting bluetooth dongles to ever fucking work. Either they didn't work at all, or didn't want to work with the Wii stuff even though it was running the right "stack" or whatever. Oh well, I gave up on it all and sold my Wii stuff so I don't really care any more.

#36 Posted by oldenglishC (945 posts) -

Has Saturn emulation gotten any better, or should I just finally break down and pay some asshole big-bucks for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

#37 Edited by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

I'm not on the PC with the emulators on it, but off the top of my head I have: Atari, MAME (how many does that count as?), NES, SMS, SNES, Genesis, GameBoy (&GBA), N64, SegaCD, PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, SCUMMvm, Dosbox (with Win 3.11), Apple ][, C64, ZX Spectrum & Amiga. I also have a few on my linux machines and some handheld emulators, so it's hard to count.

Does having games on Virtual Console on the WII count?

#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

None. I used to do it a lot, but after I started working I just find that I prefer to track down the actual games. More rewarding that way. It's like my record collecting, that brought back the fun in discovering old music.

Mostly with emulation I found it just devalued the games and I was more willing to move on to another title than to give one an honest shot.

The only emulation I still do is I annually boot up MAME and play the first 4 Metal Slug games in one sitting, and mess with Dolphin because it's a really fun tool to benchmark my computer and mess with OC settings.

#39 Edited by galloughs (192 posts) -

Since roms are illegal (even if you own the game, stop rationalizing), I'm not interested in having any emulators on my PC.

#40 Edited by Vrikk (895 posts) -

Do we count emulators individually, or by their system? I have SNES and NES on PSP, Windows, and Wii... so they can be counted 9 times when it's only 3 systems.

#41 Posted by Vrikk (895 posts) -

Has Saturn emulation gotten any better, or should I just finally break down and pay some asshole big-bucks for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

It's become very stable. You may want to check it out again. PDS runs nearly flawlessly. You don't have to pay some dude in Ohio $200 anymore.

#42 Edited by Deadmanforking (575 posts) -

1, VBA, only recently started using it. My DS broke a while back so I have no way to play any of my GBA games. Not that I go back to them often, but it's nice to have the option.

#43 Edited by oldenglishC (945 posts) -

@vrikk: Thanks for the heads-up. It's been a couple of years since the last time I tried, maybe it'll finally work.

#44 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

SNES Emulator on my phone, that's it. Barely use it though.

#45 Edited by fisk0 (4033 posts) -

I think it's about 10, WinUAE (with legally licensed A500 and A1200 Kickstart ROMs) for my Amiga games, an ABC80/800 emulator I've barely used, DosBox for my old DOS games and FastTracker 2, WinVICE for C64 stuff, PCSX for my import PS1 games which I haven't bothered modding my PS2 to play, Microsoft Virtual PC for emulating Windows XP (bundled with Windows 7 Pro) and Windows 95, MAME, ScummVM, ZSNES, FCEU (NES), and somewhere I have some Game Boy emulator I used to play Daikatana on, until I tracked down a cartridge. On some partition I have an Atari XE and MSX emulator as well, and on my Ubuntu box I've got Wine, which does surprisingly well at running most Win95/98 games.

#46 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

On Android: NES.emu, MD.emu, ePSXe, Animaonline (SNES), NEO.emu, GBA.emu

On PC: PCSX2

#47 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

4. NES, SNES, GBA and PS1

#48 Posted by Corvak (1009 posts) -

Been ripping my own Wii discs to use with Dolphin. It upscales to 1080p pretty nicely.

#49 Posted by Whitestripes09 (401 posts) -

I feel like I'm going to be the minority here, but I only have ssf (sega saturn).

#50 Posted by fisk0 (4033 posts) -

Since roms are illegal (even if you own the game, stop rationalizing), I'm not interested in having any emulators on my PC.

It's not as black and white as you try to make it seem - it's not legal for you to download a ROM of a game (unless it's been released for free or to the public domain, like the GBC ROM for Daikatana for example, which is distributed by John Romero himself on his website) even if you own the game on a tape, but it's totally legal for you to dump the tape to your computer and then play it in an emulator. Aside from that, there are some sites that legally sell ROM/disk images of old games. There's a small but legal market for MAME ROMs, there's a large chunk of legally available Amiga disk images, using officially licensed system data and stuff like that, Cloanto's Amiga Forever is an example of that, and the same is true for some Commodore 64 and various Atari home computer games. And well, then there's DosBox, which is probably the most widely (legally) used emulator, as a bunch of titles on GOG, DotEmu, Steam and other similar stores are sold as disk images for DosBox.

It's also important to understand the technical details about some of the systems emulated - Sony's PlayStation is hard to legally emulate, since it requires a dump of the PS1's BIOS in order to run, so technically you're breaking the law if you download someone elses PlayStation BIOS to play PS1 games which you may otherwise legally own (most PS1 emulators allow you to put your regular PS1 CD's in your drive and play), but older systems such as the NES and Game Boy are very simple machines, built pretty much with off the shelf parts which you could track down at Radioshack or similar stores back in the day, they don't need a BIOS dump in order to run, but it's sufficient to emulate the generic parts. There are a few unlicensed, homebrew or public domain NES titles available that you'd totally legally be able to run in such an emulator, but you're still not allowed to download and play any of the commercially published games for the system - since they do contain proprietary, copyrighted data. Even if you own the carts, unless you do like Jeff and buy an USB NES cartridge slot which you can dump your own ROMs with.

The Amiga emulator scene is similar to that of the PlayStation, you need a Kickstart ROM in order to use the emulators, but thankfully you can legally purchase them from Cloanto and many other sites.