Posted by Raven10 (1703 posts) -

Last year I decided to start keeping track of what games I beat. I split the list by month and by the end of the year I'd beaten 34 unique games. By unique I mean that I didn't count multiple playthroughs of the same game in the same year. This year I continued my stat tracking and a couple nights ago I tied my Jan-Aug record of 25 games. With 1/3 of the month still to come I should have no problem topping my total with 26 or 27 games beaten. I stated at the beginning of the year that my goal was to beat 40 games in a single year. Seeing that I'm only on par with my previous year that goal seems pretty lofty at this point in time. I also don't have any money to spend on games this year, and nothing coming out this Fall really interests me, so it will be up to my backlog to tide me over until next year.

So if you are wondering here is my list of the next 5 games I plan to beat, with the goal of finishing all of them by the end of September.

1. Hard Reset: Extended Edition

2. Infamous 2

3. Darksiders

4. Transformers: War For Cybertron

5. Assassin's Creed Revelations

I also have some PSN+ games I might try to beat in between those:

1. Sideway: New York

2. The Walking Dead

3. Trine 2

4. Shank 2

5. Sly Cooper and the Thevious Racoonus

I have already started all of the PSN+ games but The Walking Dead, and I'm also 2/3 of the way through Infamous 2 and I'm maybe 2 levels away from beating Hard Reset.

So with all that listed, what about you guys? Have you beaten a lot of games this year? Do you know exactly how many? What is on your docket for the next month or two?

#1 Posted by Raven10 (1703 posts) -

Last year I decided to start keeping track of what games I beat. I split the list by month and by the end of the year I'd beaten 34 unique games. By unique I mean that I didn't count multiple playthroughs of the same game in the same year. This year I continued my stat tracking and a couple nights ago I tied my Jan-Aug record of 25 games. With 1/3 of the month still to come I should have no problem topping my total with 26 or 27 games beaten. I stated at the beginning of the year that my goal was to beat 40 games in a single year. Seeing that I'm only on par with my previous year that goal seems pretty lofty at this point in time. I also don't have any money to spend on games this year, and nothing coming out this Fall really interests me, so it will be up to my backlog to tide me over until next year.

So if you are wondering here is my list of the next 5 games I plan to beat, with the goal of finishing all of them by the end of September.

1. Hard Reset: Extended Edition

2. Infamous 2

3. Darksiders

4. Transformers: War For Cybertron

5. Assassin's Creed Revelations

I also have some PSN+ games I might try to beat in between those:

1. Sideway: New York

2. The Walking Dead

3. Trine 2

4. Shank 2

5. Sly Cooper and the Thevious Racoonus

I have already started all of the PSN+ games but The Walking Dead, and I'm also 2/3 of the way through Infamous 2 and I'm maybe 2 levels away from beating Hard Reset.

So with all that listed, what about you guys? Have you beaten a lot of games this year? Do you know exactly how many? What is on your docket for the next month or two?

#2 Posted by falserelic (5278 posts) -

I've beat an insane amount of games over the years. But on ps3 I've played 187 games and still counting. There was lots of games I've beaten and didn't finish on ps3.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I couldn't tell you. At least 10 this year I would say.

#4 Posted by KaramonD (53 posts) -

I'd say approx 12 this year. Let's see... The last few were mass effect 3, trine 2 platinum, tropico 4, dead island, civ 5, portal 2, unit 13 platinum, resistance burning skies platinum, dark souls platinum. So maybe closer to 15 this year.

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

Beating games is something I have a distinct problem with. That's not to say that I haven't beaten a lot of them (like...10ish? I would need to think about it) but I have a nasty habit of leaving things half-finished.

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -
#7 Posted by fugie7 (1105 posts) -

I say about 5 or 6 this year.

#8 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

Well lets see .... made my yearly playthrough of Half Life 2 and episodes , Mass Effect 3 , Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl , Bastion , Journey , Botanicula , Sword and Sorcery EP .... so 7 in total

#9 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

8 I think........

#10 Posted by Rebel_Scum (622 posts) -

Man I took the title to mean all time. I would have no clue about that let alone how many this year. Last ones I finished that I can remember were Skyrim, Shadow Complex, Assassins Creed 1 and Brotherhood, Hafe Life 2 and ME3.

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

I have no idea. Many.

#12 Edited by rockyhorrorgerri (373 posts) -

104 that I am aware of. I created this list on giantbomb for self-assessment, at the beginning of summer because I tend to start games and stop them at the VERY END. Which I've hated.. because of the intimidation of the final dungeon or boss, lose interest, have too many games on my plate, set them aside and forget about them etc etc. So I decided to go back and actually finish games I have not and as I do so put them on the list among screenshot the credits as a personal high-five for myself. As for next games on my list; Waiting for the walking dead ep 3 to come out this month, otherwise I more than half way done with Shadows of the Damned, The Undergarden, and Half life 2 :D I tend to finish those off in the following month.

I KNOW there are more games I have beaten though on my list these are for fact I have..

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/rockyhorrorgerri/saw-the-credits/46-74294/

As for games i've beaten THIS YEAR? Well..

Skyrim, AC Revelations, Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2, Mario Galaxy, Portal 1, Portal 2, Fable 3, Red Alert 3, Lego Indy 2, Lego Pirates, Zelda Minish Cap, Puzzle Agent, Meteos, Meteos Disney, Mario Kart Ds, Penny arcade 1/2, Blackwell Legacy, Broken Swords 1/2, Containment, Kirbys EPic Yarn, The Maw, Scott Pilgrams saves the World, Walking Dead Ep 1/2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2.

#13 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -

This year? Uncharted Golden Abyss, Red Alert 3, Shadow Planet, Super Stardust Delta, and Alice Madness Returns

#14 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

Just went through the list of games I had on my 360, cause I have that sort of time on my hands and out of around 230 games total on the list 156 have been beaten. I don't know what the count is on other platforms, can you beat WoW? But yeah, I like da video games

#15 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Fuck if I know. Quite a few, but I'm sure not as many as the people on these boards.

#16 Posted by Tordah (2469 posts) -
#17 Posted by SlapHappyJesus (120 posts) -

Too many to remember, really.

I tend to be playing a good number of games at any one time, so it takes a while for me to get through any single one. It eventually happens though. I rarely leave a game unfinished once I start.

#18 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Just this past year? 13 since since January.

#19 Posted by AndrewB (7444 posts) -

My own list keeps growing shorter and shorter, to be honest. I think I'm buying far more games than I'm finishing these days, and buying unfinishable ones on top of that (Civ V: Gods and Kings, although I've won a marathon game with each of the new civilizations just about).

I'm only counting 7 games which I beat for the first time this year, not including the above. I keep a list.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I only started keeping track this year, here is my list so far.

1. Brütal Legend

This was a fantastic first game to beat this year, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was sat on my shelf for a year and I finally got round to it this year, I loved the RTS style missions and the soundtrack was great. Although I had a terrible time on the last mission in the game, it took me a day to beat it which ultimately made the end experience not as good. 4/5

2. Killzone 3

It was a fun game, it wasn't an amazing game and I didn't really touch the multiplayer, but it looks nice and plays nice. 4/5

3. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

This was a simple weekend game, very simple mechanics but don't let that make you think it's a bad thing, loved my time with it. 4/5

4. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Now this is probbaly the coolest HD Collection you can get, love me some Metal Gear Solid! 5/5

5. The Darkness II

I was surprised this was happening, I mean I personally enjoyed the first Darkness but I assumed nobody else did due to the lack of a sequel. But here we are 2012 and we have a Darkness game, I am happy to say I had a great time with it. It was kinda short and at times very hard, but it had a nice style and I enjoyed the gameplay and Mike Patton was back in action! 4/5

6. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

YO FIFTY! 3/5

7. Journey

flOw was one of the first PSN games I got, I was one of the people that liked flOw. Then Flower came out and I really liked that too and knew I had found a company I could follow. Journey came out and man it blew me away, I was speechless during the end scene and I really felt then it was one of the best games I had ever played. 5/5

8. Mass Effect 3

I had the ending spoiled to me from my sister who beat it before me, but despite that I still was happy playing through the game and was happy with the ending. The game itself was also a blast and at times it gets very emotional. 5/5

9. Driver: San Francisco

It has a slow start but when it ramps up it ramps the fuck up, and how about that boss battle! 4/5

10. Darksiders

I've never been a huge fan of Zelda games, but Darksiders really does improve a lot of the little things that Zelda does poorly, got me excited for Darksiders 2. 4/5

11. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Not as good as the original and it felt like nothing really happened, I don't think the first one really needed a sequel. 2/5

12. Vanquish

Another weekend game, I did burn out on the game towards the end and I really thought they could have used a few new environments but all in all nice simple game. 3/5

13. Twisted Metal

I never played the original games but was glad I took the risk as I enjoyed myself with both the single player and multiplayer. 4/5

14. Grand Theft Auto IV

So I never beat this when it came out, I spent far to much time on the multuplayer and never got past the first two missions. The driving really put me off and I just never played it. I decided I should just play through it this year because I want to play the next on, so I buckled down and spent a good few weeks playing through it. I feel bad now that I never gave it a chance before, I had a good time. 4/5

15. Minecraft

I beat that fucking dragon! 5/5

16. Max Payne 3

Some people seem to not like this game, but screw them I really had a good time with this game. I hadn't even played any of the original games and I still loved this game. 5/5

17. Asura's Wrath

You should play this game! 5/5

18. Syndicate

Had a good time with it, liked the chip mechanics and the sound was great as were the visuals. Story didn't really grab me and I had no idea what was going on up until I met that girl at the end of the game. 4/5

19. Sorcery

A game that I really enjoyed and a game that I doubt anybody else will ever play, such a shame. 4/5

20. Prince of Persia

Totally not what I was expecting, despite a few frustrating parts was pleasantly surprised at the good mixture of combat, platforming and story. 4/5

21. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

I have done everything in this game, all trophies, so there I justify putting this on the list. I was very surprised at just how much I enjoyed this game, I'm also surprised at how much I like this to Mortal Kombat, it's just so much quicker its crazy. Oh and did I mention it's free? 5/5

22. Lollipop Chainsaw

Great art style, great soundtrack and has some outright insane parts, but the game was kind of boring to play and I really couldn't stand any of the characters aside from Nick, I also really didn't like any of the mini games. 2/5

23. Assassin's Creed

This was my first PS3 game, however I never got into it, only 5 years later do I find out how cool this game is. I was not really going to play this because everybody says its the worst one, but I really had a good time with it, the ending is also MGS2 style crazyness. 4/5

24. The Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2 was my favourite Spider-Man games, it was the essence of what made Spider-Man Spider-Man. The Amazing Spider-Man captured the web swinging. But really the combat wasn't all that and the story was kind of generic, also it feels like they got fake villains instead of the real deal. But man that web swinging! 3/5

25. Super Mario World

Now before everybody yells at me I have completed the GBA version countless times, but this is the first time I finished the SNES version. For the record this is the best Mario game. 5/5

26. Super Mario All-Stars

Super Mario Bros - I have never beaten this game before period, ok so yell at me, but I when I was in the mood for a Mario game I just played Mario 3 or Mario World. But I thought I really should beat this game, so I went ahead and beat it, only to discover the last world is the most frustrating gaming experiences I have ever faced. But it clearly still a fantastic game that holds up perfectly. Worth it in the end, fuck you Bowser! 5/5

27. The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy

Three fantastic games, this would have easily been a 5, but the guys who did the port did a pretty bad job. Throughout all three games I came across multiple audio sync issues and weird graphical bugs. 4/5

28. Battlefield: Bad Company

I'm a little late to the party, but dude this game is sick! It is one of the best single player FPS games I have played in a long time. I didn't touch the multiplayer because I'd assume it would either be empty, or full of people who have been playing it for 4 years. Never the less it was such an amazing experience, I can't wait to jump into the sequel. 5/5

So it says 28, but I beat every game in that MGS Collection and every game in that RAC collection, so thats 32 games beaten this year. I've been slacking recently, a few months ago I was cranking them out every weekend. This weekend though I've barely played any games. I'm currently slogging through Assassins Creed 2.

#21 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Since the start of this year I have beaten 12 games. That being said, I've bought some games that can't really be 'beaten'.

#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

I haven't beaten a game since Journey, back at the very beginning of June. I've been playing games in that time, just haven't finished any of them. Unless you count replaying games I'd previously finished, like the old Tony Hawk games.

I have finished 10 so far this year. I used to keep count of my overall total on IGN but then they ditched the lists pages and so I've lost track. I'm pretty sure that at this point I've beaten more than 100 games but probably less than 150, which really doesn't sound like that high a total.

#23 Edited by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

17 from this year, and somewhere between 5 and 10 games not released this year.

I used to finish all the games I played (unless I couldn't), but since sometime late last year I just don't mind leaving stuff unfinished. I don't feel compelled to get to the end of games I'm not having fun with.

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Like achievements, I have never really cared about completing games, I usually get bored with games before I complete them, and don't push my self to finish them because If they are no longer fun then I don't see the point in them.

Over the years I am sure I have finished plenty of games, in fact just recently I finished Spec Ops, and Bulletstorm which I got from the steam sale.

#25 Posted by nerdsbeware (223 posts) -

I used to have a real big problem finishing a game. Things such as getting stuck at parts or something else coming out just always held me up. I've made it a point to basically try and play 1-2 games at a time, and finish what I start. But then again, depends on the game. If I am just not having fun with a game, I'm not going to stick it out or anything, I'll put it to rest and be done with it. Since I started making it a goal, probably like 5-6?

#26 Posted by Mastercheesey (219 posts) -

I think 14 this year so far.

#27 Posted by DoctorP3pa (6 posts) -

I have beaten EVERY game I have in my collection, unless specified otherwise. I haven't updated my list, but back on gamespot I had almost 200+ games sooo.... I guess I have beaten over 200 games XD

#28 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

A One Million Games

#29 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

40 games in one year is a lot.

I used to be able to do that. Best month I ever had I think I pounded out 7 games. They were short though.

These days job + personal life/responsibilties make that a thing of the past

Beaten games list here - There's 233 I know of, but I only started keeping close track in 2003.

Current playdocket games here

This year hmmm looks like more than I thought - ten so far

Limbo, Hector Badge of Carnage , Secret of Monkey Island , Breath of Death Vii , Dragon's Dogma , Paper Mario , Smash Bros. Brawl, NEw Super Mario Bros. Wii, Street Fighter IV , Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth:

I'll probably beat Glory of Heracles, Advance Wars : Days of Ruin, Cthullhu Saves the World, Super Paper Mario before the end of the year. I'm near endgame in all of those.

hopefully get back to Final fantasy Xii, but the desire to finish is fading.

#30 Edited by believer258 (11563 posts) -

I tried to create a list on Giantbomb. It's not finished yet, but it's here and it has 80 items on it.

The full list is kept in a word document which I keep referring to and keep putting stuff from it into that list. I'm fairly convinced that it isn't fully complete but I can't think of what I'm missing; I know for sure that 129 is too low a number, though.

1) 007 Nightfire

2) Battlefield Bad Company

3) Battlefield Bad Company 2

4) Bioshock

5) Bioshock 2

6) Borderlands

7) Burnout Legends

8) Burnout Revenge

9) Buzz Lightyear of Star Command

10) Call of Duty 2

11) Call of Duty Black Ops

12) Call of Duty Modern Warfare

13) Call of Duty World at War

14) Coded Arms

15) Crash 4 The Wrath of Cortex

16) Crash Bandicoot

17) Crash Bandicoot 2

18) Crash Bandicoot 3

19) Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure

20) Crash Team Racing

21) Crysis

22) Crysis 2

23) Daxter

24) Darksiders

25) Dead Space

26) Dead Space 2

27) Deus Ex Human Revolution

28) Donkey Kong Country

29) Donkey Kong Country 2

30) Donkey Kong Country 3

31) F.E.A.R.

32) F.E.A.R. 2

33) F.E.A.R. 3

34) F.E.A.R. Extraction Point

35) F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate

36) Fallout 3

37) Far Cry Instincts

38) Gears of War

39) Gears of War 2

40) Gears of War 3

41) God of War

42) God of War Chains of Olympus

43) God of War Ghost of Sparta

44) Goldeneye Rogue Agent

45) Half-Life

46) Half-Life 2

47) Half-Life 2 Episode 2

48) Half-Life Blue Shift

49) Half-Life Opposing Force

50) Halo

51) Halo 2

52) Halo 3

53) Halo 3 ODST

54) Halo Reach

55) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

56) Hot Wheels Extreme Racing

57) Hot Wheels Turbo Racing

58) Jak 2

59) Jak 3

60) Jak and Daxter

61) Jak X

62) Killzone 2

63) Kingdom Hearts

64) Left 4 Dead

65) Left 4 Dead 2

66) Lego Island 2

67) Looney Tunes Racing

68) Marathon Durandal

69) Mario Kart DS

70) Mario Kart Double Dash

71) Mass Effect

72) Mass Effect 2

73) Mass Effect 3

74) Medal of Honor 2010

75) Megaman 8

76) Megaman Legends

77) Megaman X

78) Megaman X8

79) Megaman Zero 3

80) Megaman ZX

81) Megaman ZX Advent

82) Metroid 2

83) Metroid Fusion

84) Metroid Prime

85) Metroid Prime 2

86) Metroid Zero Mission

87) Modern Warfare 2

88) Modern Warfare 3

89) Oblivion

90) Omega Boost

91) Portal

92) Portal 2

93) Prince of Persia

94) Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands

95) Quake 4

96) RAGE

97) Ratchet and Clank Going Commando

98) Ratchet and Clank Size Matters

99) Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal

100) Ratchet Deadlocked

101) Resident Evil 4

102) Resident Evil 5

103) Resistance 2

104) Resistance 3

105) Resistance Fall of Man

106) Resistance Retribution

107) Rock Band 2

108) Singularity

109) Skyrim

110) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

111) Sonic Adventure DX

112) Sonic Rush

113) Spyro 1

114) Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage

115) Spyro 2: Season of Flame (GBA game)

116) Star Wars Battlefront

117) Star Wars Battlefront 2

118) Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith

119) Star Wars Rebel Assault 2

120) Star Wars The Force Unleashed

121) Super Mario 64

122) Super Mario Sunshine

123) Super Metroid

124) Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi

125) Syphon Filter Logan’s Shadow

126) Timeshift

127) Toy Story 2

128) Twisted Metal Head On

129) Uncharted 2

EDIT: Yeah, reading through that list, some things are missing. Half-Life 2 Episode One, for instance, as well as several other missing oddities like Saints Row The Third and Mega Man X5.

EDIT 2: Updated my list a whole lot. Same link, but other additions are in there.

#31 Posted by Raven10 (1703 posts) -

@hangedtoaster: I'm honored you viewed my blog as important enough to actually count all the games you have beaten on the 360. That's a pretty good number too. I rent a lot of games so it would be hard for me to say exactly how many games I've beaten on any console, hence why I started my list. Since that only spans the past two years, though, I would say it would be hard to measure all the games I have beaten on any console.

#32 Posted by Raven10 (1703 posts) -

@Hizang: 32 must be a record so far. That's a hell of a lot of games for only 2/3 of the way through the year.

#33 Posted by Gamer_152 (14050 posts) -

I've beaten about 114 in total and about 13 so far this year. You want to be very careful getting so focused on just beating games though, once you start putting that much emphasis on getting through games as opposed to just enjoying them you can end up making your hobby more of a piece of work than something to enjoy. I find the people who generally have the most fun with games are those who just play games however they feel like playing them, without restrictions.

#34 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Raven10: Some of the games were quite short and were fairly easy if you take a closer look, but yes I still agree 32 is a lot!

#35 Posted by thatdutchguy (1267 posts) -

I still have to finish Red Dead Redemption ..... probably should do that ,since people are saying that the ending is so good.

#36 Edited by Helios1337 (323 posts) -

I've finished just over 50 games since January. I also started keeping track of the games I've completed more than a year and a half ago with a small summary of my opinion for each of them. I just keep it in one large list with only the recent entries having descriptions (the last 3 or 4 pages or so).

#37 Posted by Raven10 (1703 posts) -

@Gamer_152: I more keep the list for record's sake. I always found myself reaching the end of the year and being asked what my game of the year was, and always couldn't remember what I had even played that year so I started keeping this list for that purpose. I don't really push myself to finish that many games, it's more of something I take a look at once in a while to see how I'm progressing.

@Helios1337: Wow, that's pretty incredible. Maybe during High School I had enough time to finish that many games, but not these days. Very impressive number though.

#38 Posted by Helios1337 (323 posts) -

@Raven10: While I do put a decent amount of time into gaming, it really is only a couple hours a night before I go to bed (with some exceptions like Sleeping Dogs). When your average game is like 10 hours, it pretty easy to finish it in a week or two with only playing for an hour or two a night.

#39 Posted by Ezakael (910 posts) -

I haven't had a lot of money to spend on games lately so I've only beaten 6 games so far. I would like to expand that number before the year ends when I finally get a Ps3.

#40 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

How many games have you beaten that let you pick up a tunnel and move it around?

That's what I thought.

#41 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I've been gaming since I was TWO YEARS OLD.

You expect me to keep track of this shit?

Well I never did beat Mario 1... couldn't find the path through World 8's castle.

#42 Posted by wjb (1621 posts) -

I beat 90-95% of the games I play.

#43 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

@believer258: @believer258 said:

I tried to create a list on Giantbomb. It's not finished yet, but it's here and it has 80 items on it.

The full list is kept in a word document which I keep referring to and keep putting stuff from it into that list.

FWIW I use Excel. I find the ole spreadsheet to be more useful for things like this. Easier to update and customize than Word.

#44 Edited by mandude (2667 posts) -

Backloggery says only 122 in total, but I've only just started that, and there are a tonne of games I've probably forgotten about.

I still find it a bit off mark, since I've beaten at least 15 games this year alone, but I am pretty shitty when it comes to finishing off the bastards.