#1 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (744 posts) -

Random question, but I couldn't really find out how to look it up on here. It's for a school project.

#2 Posted by ripelivejam (3795 posts) -

only me. i've used a thousand proxies to buy all the others.

#3 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Random question, but I couldn't really find out how to look it up on here. It's for a school project.

I do not think you will get this kind of information at all^^

#4 Posted by moosenukes (6 posts) -

As far as I know the most recent official number is from last year's Big Live Live Show Live (9/14/2012) which ended at 18,653.

#5 Edited by PerfidiousSinn (744 posts) -

As far as I know the most recent official number is from last year's Big Live Live Show Live (9/14/2012) which ended at 18,653.

Okay, this seems accurate enough. Thank you!

#6 Edited by Mister_V (1265 posts) -

We are many

#7 Posted by Ferros (220 posts) -

I bought this with my Daddy's credit card!

#8 Edited by bslayer (222 posts) -
#9 Posted by alternate (2696 posts) -

are you sure, pretty sure that was the peak viewers. Memebers was somewhere north of 10k.

#10 Edited by moosenukes (6 posts) -

@alternate: I was writing the total down throughout the show, here they are if anyone is interested:

1:00 18,534

2:00 18,560 +26

3:00 18,573 +13

4:00 18,588 +15

5:00 18,602 +14

6:00 18,609 +07

7:00 18,624 +15

8:00 18,629 +05

9:00 18,637 +08

10:20 18,641 +04

11:00 18,653 +12

#11 Edited by JRock3x8 (248 posts) -

@moosenukes: if that was the number of viewers it was short on premium members by at least 1 cuz I wasn't watching it ;)

#12 Edited by AMyggen (2833 posts) -

Jeff has said that they've got more Premium members since then, for what it's worth. But I think you're close if you say around 20k.

#13 Posted by JRock3x8 (248 posts) -

At $50 per (knowing not everyone pays $50), that's $1MM - that's not a lot of money when you look at all the talent and tech that they have. Glad they have CBSi to support them.

#14 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

@jrock3x8: $15 of the $50 goes towards the shirts; it used to anyway, so it's really $35 per person towards their operations, if they really do have +20k subs, that's still pretty decent but I kind of doubt they have that many subs, back when they used to advertise the world tour they showed the number of total subs and it was under 15k, feels like there are less now, not more.

#15 Posted by AMyggen (2833 posts) -

@jrock3x8: It's 1m a year though, so it helps a lot with such a small crew. But you're right, they of course need ad revenue etc. on top of that.

#16 Posted by Wikitoups (800 posts) -

@jrock3x8 said:

At $50 per (knowing not everyone pays $50), that's $1MM - that's not a lot of money when you look at all the talent and tech that they have. Glad they have CBSi to support them.

Last year for thanksgiving day they give a special for premium for $35 bucks with no shirt. So I think they would have been some new member for that.

#17 Posted by Brendan (7757 posts) -

I would be interested to see whether the lack of a large scale subscriber drive this year affected the amount of subscribers they have. I'm sure its not a large difference but it'd still be neat to know.

#18 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

775 million?

I got nothing.

#19 Edited by development (2244 posts) -

Drinky Crow!

#20 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

"premium" my ass !

#21 Edited by Cynically_Happy (50 posts) -

Like 14

#22 Posted by Chaser324 (6411 posts) -

@brendan said:

I would be interested to see whether the lack of a large scale subscriber drive this year affected the amount of subscribers they have. I'm sure its not a large difference but it'd still be neat to know.

While the lack of a subscriber drive probably does hurt a bit, I feel like the premium content that they're producing right now is probably pulling in a lot of people. They've got quantity, quality, and I think the Load Our Last Souls and Pathfinder stuff probably has brought in a lot of new people that are way into Dark Souls and tabletop games.

#23 Posted by Killerfridge (309 posts) -

@brendan said:

While the lack of a subscriber drive probably does hurt a bit, I feel like the premium content that they're producing right now is probably pulling in a lot of people. They've got quantity, quality, and I think the Load Our Last Souls and Pathfinder stuff probably has brought in a lot of new people that are way into Dark Souls and tabletop games.

That's why I joined. Well that and also I felt the need to give some support when...well, you know.

#24 Posted by Ben_H (3341 posts) -

@jrock3x8 said:

Last year for thanksgiving day they give a special for premium for $35 bucks with no shirt. So I think they would have been some new member for that.

I bought 3 of those the first time they had them available. I'm still set for a good while.

#25 Edited by Brendan (7757 posts) -

@chaser324: Do they advertise that stuff though? How do randoms become aware of the content on a large scale? Its obvious that GB isn't concerned with SEO rankings or promotion. I just wonder how much of that stuff is noticed outside of the site.

#26 Edited by thekitkatshuffler (61 posts) -

It's a shame that I can't stream a "Source" quality picture as a premium member on Giant Bomb (stutters all over the place) but I'm sat here watching a free stream on IGN in 1080p without a hitch.

#27 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

WAZZZA

#28 Posted by White (1341 posts) -

SELECT * FROM MEMBERS.TBL WHERE MEMBERSHIP = "TRUE"?

Did I do that right?

#29 Edited by Athadam (686 posts) -
@chaser324 said:

@brendan said:

It also has the reverse effect for current members - last year I tested, played, and then came to the conclusion that I absolutely despised Dark Souls. But after watching the stream, I finally "got it". I finished the game two weeks ago and now I'm on NG+ and am about to play the DLC.

It's become one of my most favorite games of the last generation.

#30 Posted by OldGuy (1547 posts) -
#31 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -
#32 Posted by Brenderous (1099 posts) -

Like a billion.

You can cite me.

#33 Edited by OldGuy (1547 posts) -
#34 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

All's i know is i am a proud gold member, and when my login lapses, i click on an ad or two as well. I want Giant Bomb to take over the video game planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or, you know, just keep doin' what they're doin'.

#35 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

Well, I subscribed this month, so you have to add 1 to that, and you have an extremely accurate and correct figure at 18,654

#36 Posted by Willza92 (262 posts) -

Hi :D

My money is well spent here

#37 Posted by PandaBear (1356 posts) -

@moosenukes said:

Okay, this seems accurate enough. Thank you!

Lazy research level: High School.

#38 Posted by Korwin (2846 posts) -

@oldguy said:

@dacnomaniac said:
@oldguy said:

@bslayer said:

@mister_v said:

We are many

We are one

We are legion

Damn it. I forgot they appropriated that quote. Idiots.

That dudes been sitting in that chair so long he probably HAS lesions

#39 Posted by Vuud (1956 posts) -

I'm hella jealous of those gold medals you guys have.

#40 Edited by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

@white said:

SELECT * FROM MEMBERS.TBL WHERE MEMBERSHIP = "TRUE"?

Did I do that right?

Is that Oracle or MySQL? Been a long time since I touched those. Below is what I imagine it being in MSSQL.

SELECT * FROM GiantBomb.dbo.Users WHERE AccountLevelId == @SubscriberLevel

---

It really wouldn't be that hard to find out how many active subscribers there are. The site basically lists every registered user. Just need to scrape it and find some sort of way to determine if the user is a subscriber based on their profile page. Shoot, you would actually be able to tell who was Monthly vs Annually probably. You could go real slow and screen scrape the profile page for emblem.

#41 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

One

#42 Posted by ikaruga (192 posts) -

just me, that's it. All the other accounts are LIES!

#43 Posted by Rafaelfc (1331 posts) -

I help fund this website with my dirty pipe dope money.

#44 Edited by Gatehouse (608 posts) -

This site is supported exclusively through the sale and distribution of Hunkadunk.

#45 Edited by BeachThunder (11831 posts) -

@brendan said:

What about the people that don't give a shit about either of those things, but just like watching GB stuff :P

#46 Posted by Lumley (951 posts) -
@tycobb said:

SELECT * FROM GiantBomb.dbo.Users WHERE AccountLevelId == @SubscriberLevel

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM GiantBomb.dbo.Users WHERE AccountLevelId == @SubscriberLevel

#47 Edited by Fattony12000 (7292 posts) -

Not enough.

EVERYONE should be premium.

Saaaaaaay, you know how we all totally fucking killed it during Extra Life?

Hmm.

What if we did a thing like that...but for Giant Bomb dot com? A big community-driven drive type drive thing.

#subs4kids

#48 Posted by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

@lumley: Damn... knew I missed something.

#49 Posted by andthentrumpets (10 posts) -

There are literally dozens of us.