Edited 3 months, 11 days ago

Poll: How many hours would you averagely chalk up on steam per fortnight? (85 votes)

0-10 21%
10-20 21%
20-30 14%
30-40 11%
50-60 12%
60 + 7%
I don't frequent bath houses 14%

After recently getting Steam, I've become curious as to how much time others would generally spend playing games (via steam).

I've got friends who spend around 90 hours per fortnight, which I think is crazy as even though I do love me some videogames I only clock in around 10-20 and I was pretty amazed by the contrast. I'm also pretty surprised about how little time I seem to spend on pc games.

#1 Posted by falserelic (5398 posts) -

I've read the thread title the wrong way, but anyway every now and then. I don't have a steroid abused PC to be playing alot of games on.

#2 Posted by Tom_omb (368 posts) -

It's hard to say, I haven't been playing Steam games much at all lately. If I'm immersed in a Nintendo or Blizzard game, I might not touch steam for a while. Then a new episode of walking dead comes out and I'll play that to completion and go back to whatever I was doing. A good chunk of my Steam games are short indy games, but I'll get a Bioshock Infinite or Saints Row IV now and then.

#3 Edited by CaLe (3945 posts) -

0.5 hours, and I use Steam more than my consoles. Hardcore gamer for life.

#4 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3160 posts) -

I was up to 50 hours on average two months ago but this month been busy so at most I'm at 17 hours hours per 2 weeks. I don't have a ps4 or xbone yet and rarely play my 360 / ps3 anymore so my PC has been my main console for quite awhile.

#5 Posted by twentyTWO (39 posts) -

50-60 hours. I play too much Dota.

#6 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1557 posts) -

What the hell is a "fortnight?"

#7 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Just at 4.1 hours right now, the last big Steam time sinks were Revengeance and FTL.

#8 Posted by pyromagnestir (4287 posts) -

mean: <1

median = 0

mode = 0

range = 0 to >100

I don't play games consistently on any one platform, nor do I play games consistently for any length of time. Sometimes I binge on a game or games for dozens of hours in a short length of time, other times I'll go a couple weeks or more without playing much at all.

#9 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3160 posts) -

14 days. So the two week period.

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

Fourteen nights = fortnight. Welcome to English in countries that aren't America.

#11 Edited by CorruptedEvil (2397 posts) -

Steam doesn't track time in non-steam games so usually like 5 hours. If it did track non-steam it would be closer to 35.

#12 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -

If I'm playing Counter-Strike during the period then usually around 50-60 hours. Otherwise probably 2-3? Obviously depends on if there's something new out that I've found engaging.

#13 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (382 posts) -

I haven't spent a lot of time playing PC games this year, and out of the time that I have a significant amount has been spent playing games I don't have on Steam. So for the past few months I maybe average one hour.

#14 Posted by CornBREDX (5051 posts) -

In this current two weeks steam says I've played 23.2 but recently I've had a lot going on so that's probably why. I usually probably play around 50 hours every two weeks or so- I'd guess anyway.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Fourteen nights = fortnight. Welcome to English in countries that aren't America.

no need to be a snob about it, jeez.

#16 Posted by Slaps2 (172 posts) -

Max = 0

Min = 0

Mean = 0

Median = 0

... My desktop is broken. :'(

#17 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1557 posts) -

@animasta said:

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

I figured that people were going to be super snobbish. I don't speak English that much anymore, so I'm not too broken up with their rude behavior.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11594 posts) -

The answer is always "too much".

#19 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

@animasta said:

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

I figured that people were going to be super snobbish. I don't speak English that much anymore, so I'm not too broken up with their rude behavior.

...How's that snobby? I know text doesn't convey tone, but why does everyone assume everything is always said in the worst way?

#20 Edited by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -
#21 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4361 posts) -

I'd say 30-40 active hours maybe. I usually just leave games running idle for a number of reasons. Sometimes I forget and leave games running all day and/or night. So, I don't really have an accurate count of how long I actually spend playing.

#22 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (551 posts) -

About 40 hours unless I'm really hooked on something.

#23 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4672 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@animasta said:

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

...How's that snobby? I know text doesn't convey tone, but why does everyone assume everything is always said in the worst way?

Was there another way to take "Welcome to English in countries that aren't America"?

You implied the poster 1) took an American-centric view 2) they were ignorant of "modern" language 3) somehow at fault for not understanding an archaic phrase that hasn't been in common use for many, many decades.Whether you believe it or not, the words you use also imply tone. It's not a matter of everyone assuming things in the worst way as much as everyone (around here) trying to mimic the verbal tics and sarcasm of Giant Bomb. That of course leads to, well, situations like this.

#24 Edited by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

I don't really have an average, as I might play 20-30 hours one week and 20-30 minutes the next (if at all). It varies too wildly.

This particular fortnight is 19.4 hours, mostly consisting of FTL and Dark Souls 2.

#25 Posted by anywhereilay (144 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: Not to niggle, but fortnight is still a commonly used term where I'm from. (Ireland) We're all learning something today.

#26 Edited by CaLe (3945 posts) -

@anywhereilay said:

@oldirtybearon: Not to niggle, but fortnight is still a commonly used term where I'm from. (Ireland) We're all learning something today.

I can confirm this. I'm honestly surprised any native English speaker can make it to adulthood and not know what fortnight means, regardless of what country they come from. Then to go out of their way and ask what it means instead of just looking it up...

#27 Posted by Ezekiel (400 posts) -

In the last two weeks I've played 27 hours. But I recently got another PS3, so I'm playing less than usual. The games with the most hours are Left 4 Dead 2 and 1, at 92 and 62 hours, and then RE4 at 42 hrs. If I used Steam with my Windows copy of Dark Souls, it would be the clear winner, with over a thousand hours. But there's no point in using Steam with it and I'm absolutely sick of it.

#28 Posted by mjk0104 (199 posts) -

According to WastedOnSteam.com, since I started using it I play for about 27 hours a fortnight, which sounds about right, that probably includes my old TF2 idling though, but I didn't play too much at the start, so it averages out.

#29 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1557 posts) -
#30 Edited by Slaegar (698 posts) -

My past two weeks is crazy high because Dark Souls (53.3 hours), but it's probably closer to like 15-20 normally.

#31 Edited by Humanity (9025 posts) -

@cale: the audacity to ask a question, I tell you, only on America..

#32 Edited by fisk0 (3999 posts) -

Certainly less than 10 hours. I think I average about 20 minutes per day.

As a non-native English speaker, the entire concept of Fortnight is weird. Why would you choose that unit of time, instead of more conventional one week or one month? What's the point of averaging something over half a month?

#33 Posted by CaLe (3945 posts) -
@humanity said:

I don't think audacity is the word I'd use in this particular situation, but it is more polite.

#34 Edited by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

I watch games more consistently than I play them.

Lately I consume games almost immediately upon release

#35 Edited by face15 (1285 posts) -

@cale said:

@anywhereilay said:

I can confirm this. I'm honestly surprised any native English speaker can make it to adulthood and not know what fortnight means, regardless of what country they come from. Then to go out of their way and ask what it means instead of just looking it up...

I'm gonna go ahead and confirm that 'fortnight' is still in frequent use in Australia as well.

More to the point, this period-of-two-weeks my steam counter is at 35 hours but I've been playing Dark Souls 2 a lot. It's probably under 10 hours most period-of-two-weeks, and then it'll peak up when I've got something new to play.

#36 Posted by Teoball (591 posts) -

I usually only play PC games when something I'm interested in doesn't come out on any console. Just finished Tesla Effect after 11 hours this weekend. Other than that I mostly boot up steam whenever there's a new Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us episode to play, since the console versions kinda suck.

So 0-10 I guess? 0 most often.

#37 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@animasta said:

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Because you're bloody English, that's why!

I'm kidding. Still, when posting on an international forum, it's nice to take into consideration the fact that those of us 'cross the pond might not use some of the same words you guys do. "Fourteen nights" would have made things clearer, but it's no big deal.

On topic, it varies wildly depending on what I'm playing. Sometimes, that number might be two hours. Sometimes, it could be as high as 40 or 50 or more.

#38 Posted by Nightriff (4979 posts) -

I average around 10-15 probably because I didn't play very many PC games, it is only until recently I have played a lot more of them and so for the past few months I'm around 30 to 40 hours.

#39 Posted by TessaWracked (46 posts) -

I have so many unplayed games in my Steam library,I end up spending at least 2-3 hours per night on gaming just to feel a sense of progression. I guess it's a weird sort of grinding metagame, but playing something new always keeps it fresh.

#40 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1558 posts) -

I don't have any sort of consistency. If really depends on whether or not I'm actively playing something. I have gotten up really high when I was playing a bunch of stuff, the 2 week period that I played through both Witcher games it was like 85 hours, but right now it reads 6.2 hours. I probably won't be playing much on steam for a while since I just got MLB 14 for PS4 and the next several games I'm getting (Transistor, Watch Dogs, Destiny) will all be on PS4 as well.

#41 Posted by BeachThunder (11806 posts) -

Right now, it's 30. However, when I was really into Spelunky it was roughly 100. Also, there have been times when it was at 0.

#42 Posted by Humanity (9025 posts) -

@cale said:
@humanity said:

I don't think audacity is the word I'd use in this particular situation, but it is more polite.

You might find this surprising, but a large majority of the world does not speak British english and are simultaneously no worse for it, so it is not completely unreasonable to think that a word such as "fortnight" might not be that commonly known. Alas this has already sidetracked the thread long enough and is not that big a deal.

#43 Posted by ripelivejam (3743 posts) -
#44 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Or just talk to a more educated American... it might not be commonly used here, but it was still something brought up in early education.

Anyway, to answer the question, it wildly depends on whether I'm invested in a game. Could be 4+ hours a day when I'm obsessed, or just a couple when I'm busy/working/trying to find a new obsession. Probably a span between 10 and 30 depending.

#45 Edited by Slag (4225 posts) -

Thanks to DOTA 2 it looks like lately 65+.

Wowzers, probably need to reign that in a bit and get some more sleep.