#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36087 posts) -

First post, yay! I don't, but I have my reasons.

#2 Posted by mordukai (7140 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" First post, yay! I don't, but I have my reasons. "
A.D.D?
#3 Posted by ThisArmyStud (55 posts) -

Wtf happened to my paragraph i wrote explaining why i made this topic?

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36087 posts) -
@Mordukai: 

No, it's just that I don't want my opinion to be influenced later on. There are some exceptions, but this is rare.
#5 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

i do if i care about the game, last review read was AC2

#6 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -
@NickL said:
" i do if i care about the game, last review read was AC2 "
Same goes for me.
#7 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I'l read a review depending on the score. If it is similar to my perception of the game then i most likely won't read the review. If it is a game I am excited about I'l read the review. Obviously I do this at acredited sources like Giantbomb and gamespot. For Mirror's Edge last year, with such a mix bag of thoughts on it i read so many reviews then decided it was not worth the 60 and later on i'l get it on steam

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Poll... where's the poll?  I do not, too lazy and I pretty much don't care enough to read about someone's review on a game.  I buy games that I know I'll like and I rent the rest.

#9 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Not everything needs a poll, i've been seeing that alot lately here. Express your opinion, not click what you think and leave the thread.

Sorry for that short but tepid rant...

#10 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
@ThisArmyStud: Forum monster ate it.

Happens on occasion.
#11 Posted by JohnTheGamer (341 posts) -

Typically reviews don't persuade me so I don't read them much anymore; although I read EGM all the time in high school, aka a few years ago. I'll usually skim through the reviews here however as I like to see the staff's opinions on certain games, but I also listen to their podcast so I get a audio review most of the times, lol.

#12 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Yes I read reviews. Text is beneath the shiny stars for a reason. 

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Not everything needs a poll, i've been seeing that alot lately here. Express your opinion, not click what you think and leave the thread.  Sorry for that short but tepid rant... "
I kind of disagree.  I very much like seeing a visual representation based on the opinions of everyone on this forum and see which tendency they lean towards.  That does not stop one from also posting a thoughtful response in the thread, as we are doing.
#14 Edited by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I don't read reviews or look at scores. At least, not before owning and playing a game. I may retroactively look at reviews out of curiosity, and occasionally scoff at the odd reviewers inability to understand a simple concept in a game.

#15 Posted by ThisArmyStud (55 posts) -
@Lies: Im going to kill that monster when i see it. Spear of Destiny to the face.
#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18913 posts) -

I read some but, not all of them.

#17 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

First I look at Metacritic score. If the game is already out I won't read the review and just buy it.

#18 Edited by Valames (726 posts) -

I usually just read the review after I beat the game, because even things like "you can decorate your mansion with pictures" is spoilerish to me. I know I am weird, I just like to have a media blackout about a game after I am interested in it.

#19 Posted by DorianBlack (311 posts) -

If it's something I feel I need to know info about I will read it. But most things I don't need to know much more than the gist.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I guess I do .. sort of. More like I watch video reviews haha. If this was more referring to reviews influencing purchase decisions, yes I like to go into things somewhat informed.

#21 Posted by Sdoots (205 posts) -

Considering I hope to get into a career writing about games, I try and read as many reviews as possible both as a consumer and as someone who is learning to appreciate other people's writing more.

#22 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

On this site, rarley.  The black on white text colour scheme really messes with my eyes, and makes it very hard for my to read large amounts of texts.  If it's something I really care about, I'll copy and paste it into notepad  (bring back the alternate colour scheme, damnit!)

#23 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

I read the reviews, but only of games i'm interested in... the others i don't read. I do try to look at all the quicklooks and stuff...

#24 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Only if I'm interested in the game. I do watch all the video reviews though, regardless.

#25 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

I read the reviews, even though they seem a bit dry compared to the rest of the site.

#26 Posted by Evilsbane (4544 posts) -

You have to read the reviews not just look at the shiny rating, AC2 is a great example of this yea Ryan rated it a 4 out of 5 but his major complaints were very minor and the review read like a 5 star review and after playing for about 6 hours yesterday the game is a 5 stars for me, Mmm its so awesome and here I am sitting at work again and its at home just waiting....

#27 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -
@ThisArmyStud said:

" Wtf happened to my paragraph i wrote explaining why i made this topic? "

Meh, no one was going to actually READ it anyway. ;-D

Yeah, I read the reviews.  I tend to scan them first and see if they're well written, then if they are, I go back and read them with greater attention.
#28 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

I don't usually read reviews for games that I know I am getting day one.  I already know enough about it, and don't need to validate my purchase.  I will, on the other hand read the review for a game that I notice discounted six moths later, or dare I say on occasion used.  I use reviews for information on games that I haven't been previewing.

#29 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

If i'm considering getting the game yes, but it won't be the only thing to make the decision.

#30 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

If the score seems out of the ordinary I will usually read the review prior to playing the game. (Brutal Legend / GTA Episodes)

If the score seems in line with what I was expecting / general critical consensus I usually won't bother until after I finish the game.

#31 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

I read all the review that are released.  Whether I'm going to play the game or not.  If I am so that I have some kind of knowledge going into the game.  And if not I still like to know what sort of game it is so I can recommend to people that may be interested when I talk to them.

#32 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -

Nah i gave up reading reviews a while back. Video reviews and quicklooks all the way. Between here and gametrailers I find out about most every game. Metacritic definitely comes in when buying though.

#33 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I read reviews of games that I'm on the fence of buying or not. Other than that I only watch video reviews.

#34 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

I do, almost all of them, even if it's a game for a system I don't own.

#35 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i usually skim through the review. some paragraphs i'll read and others i'll skip over.