• 151 results
Edited 1 year, 10 months ago

Poll: How many of you immediately switched to black theme (663 votes)

The white light was burning my eyes, It had to go. BLACK ALL THE WAY! 85%
White, is alright(rhymes) 11%
colour does not matter (for this option you have to be ok with accepting the proper spelling of colour, lulz) 4%

I got to the site and as soon as I saw the white backround, it was like I was possessed. I realized my reaction was pretty crazy so I wanted to know how others felt.

#101 Posted by 49th (2851 posts) -

Yep, also these polls don't look very nice.

#102 Posted by umdesch4 (771 posts) -

If I wanted lots of white I'd play Antichamber again.

#103 Posted by Krataur (410 posts) -

And now, a Giant Bomb PSA:

Switch to black.

It's the green thing to do.

#104 Posted by Grimluck343 (1160 posts) -

Once I went black I never went back.

#105 Posted by Scottish_Sin (227 posts) -

I couldn't switch back to black fast enough.

#106 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

I am both conserving energy and stylish by sporting the black theme.

#107 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -

Love me some black.

#108 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@super2j: Maybe not the same thing as you're thinking of but f.lux has alleviated a ton of eye-strain from my long-term computer use.

#109 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3088 posts) -

Never not black.

#110 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

@vaancor: Thankyou, spent quite a few minutes searching for the button before I found this thread.

#111 Edited by gunninkr (147 posts) -

Right away. The white made me feel like I wasn't a duder anymore and neither was anyone esle. It felt like a bad dream. Like a giving a book report in front of the class naked sort of thing.

#112 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1608 posts) -

You’re entitled to your own preferences, but black-on-white is objectively (as in scientifically-proven, and of course in aggregate) easier to read. I’m not going to dig up the papers, but it’s something about the way the human brain processes contrast — we’re better able to distinguish darker patterns on lighter backgrounds. If you find it too bright, you should probably be adjusting your monitor brightness.

Again, I’m not saying you’re wrong to use the dark theme, but the white theme is a better default and I’m pleasantly surprised they went with it.

#113 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I switched to black, hated it, switched back to white.

#114 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Only terrible people like white websites. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven.

#115 Edited by super2j (1798 posts) -

@super2j: Maybe not the same thing as you're thinking of but f.lux has alleviated a ton of eye-strain from my long-term computer use.

lol. I am already on the f.lux train. But it is not enough, some nights when its dark enough.... any white like is bad, especially because most of my themes are dark.

#116 Posted by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

I switched back to black but I might try the white out sometime. Makes the site look too much like Polygon...

#117 Posted by Hupfen (44 posts) -
@flappy said:

If it ain't black, it ain't Giantbomb.

I couldn't agree with you more.

#118 Edited by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

If it ain't black, it ain't Giant Bomb.

#119 Edited by Neferon (262 posts) -
@vaancor said:

First click I made on the new site. White's a lil too eyeball melting for me.

Only found this after I found my sunglasses.

#120 Edited by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

The white is crap. I am just glad the site finally stopped bugging long enough for me to change it (I tried multiple times before, never seemed to work). Not to mention it actually has let me post two times in a row without an error. You go site.

#121 Posted by Giantstalker (1729 posts) -

I changed it so quickly, I never even saw what the default website even looked like

#122 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I'm not a fan of staring at lightbulbs. Black thanks.

#123 Posted by JYoung (156 posts) -

I would think about using the white if the big black bar didn't stay the same. Looks so disjointed with the white.

#124 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -
@super2j said:

lol. I am already on the f.lux train. But it is not enough, some nights when its dark enough.... any white like is bad, especially because most of my themes are dark.

I feel ya :( My wallpaper rotation consists of mainly grayscale and mostly black images but sometimes I've just gotta set it to solid black.

#125 Posted by marbleCmoney (494 posts) -

Giant Bomb will always be a black website in my heart.

#126 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -
@zapato said:

Once you go black you never go back.

I knew I was too late to post this.

But yeah, black > errything

#127 Posted by MeatSim (10942 posts) -

Stop trying to push your white agenda on me!

#128 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

I don't understand why it would default to white.

#129 Posted by djhicks1 (151 posts) -

Yep.

#130 Edited by Chaoskiller2000 (296 posts) -

White hurts my eyes so much I was so glad black was still an option.

#131 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

You’re entitled to your own preferences, but black-on-white is objectively (as in scientifically-proven, and of course in aggregate) easier to read. I’m not going to dig up the papers, but it’s something about the way the human brain processes contrast — we’re better able to distinguish darker patterns on lighter backgrounds. If you find it too bright, you should probably be adjusting your monitor brightness.

Again, I’m not saying you’re wrong to use the dark theme, but the white theme is a better default and I’m pleasantly surprised they went with it.

I'm fairly sure that it was scientifically proven for print, and it was found that the reverse was true for computer monitors (i.e. white on black).

They need to make black the default, I've logged in a few times now from different computers and every time I have to change it to the black color scheme.

#132 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

White was way too bright for my eyes.

#133 Posted by super2j (1798 posts) -

White hurts my eyes so much I was so glad black was still an option.

I can only imagine the hardcore reaction there would be if they didnt offer a black site. I know there would be one because that's one of the few things about this site I would actually freak out about.

#134 Posted by hacksword (58 posts) -

I prefer the white theme. Dark text on a light background is easier on my eyes.

#135 Edited by Soapy86 (2623 posts) -

First thing I did. I actually just switched back to white for a second to remind myself of the difference, and HOLY SHIT how on earth does anyone prefer white?

#136 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Giant Bomb has ALWAYS been a black site. I remember the version of the site with the silly-looking brick background, and even then it was all black.

#137 Posted by Wraith1 (579 posts) -

Switched to dark theme when I got to the new site for the first time

#138 Edited by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

I went black on the colour scheme but it won't keep, probably another bug.

#139 Posted by Lysergica33 (543 posts) -

#140 Edited by NoelVeiga (1129 posts) -

I switched so quickly that I barely noticed there was a white theme.

Then I saw the page on my phone and I couldn't log in, so it was stuck on white. I have an Android phone. Nothing is ever white. I had to quit out.

#141 Posted by face15 (1306 posts) -

I prefer the white I think but it's too damn bright and it's just downright ungiantbombian.

#142 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

Yeah, first thing I did. I hate white websites.

#143 Posted by sungahymn (1038 posts) -

Kill the white with fire!

No, not the race...

#144 Edited by RobertOrri (1159 posts) -

Schwarz.

#145 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

I find white text on black hard on my eyes, but this new white theme is pretty ugly. What to do, what to do.

#146 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (459 posts) -

@flappy said:

Agreed!

#147 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

@flappy said:

^--Basically this.

#148 Posted by McLargepants (398 posts) -

All sites should be dark themed, makes it so much easier to look at them for long stretches, so yep switched to black immediately.

#149 Posted by RioStarwind (578 posts) -

While this was in beta the white site seemed alright but I prefer the black site over that version.

#150 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

I switched fairly quickly, but I will say that the white background is TOTALLY usable. So much so that it took me a little bit to realize it was in anyway different.