• 101 results
#1 Posted by jasondaplock (262 posts) -

#2 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I very rarely buy DLC. It's one of the worst trends in gaming right now, there's very few stand out pieces of single player DLC.

I don't count multiplayer maps considering all that shit used to be freaking free. God damn it.

When you look at the content TF2 and Left 4 Dead have gotten for free (and continue to get) it really makes you shake your head at how most of the industry acts with this stuff.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I don't often buy DLC 'cause it's usually shite.

#4 Posted by jasondaplock (262 posts) -

Just curious. I don't play games enough to waste my time in metagame business models, so I'm still doing my part not to encourage it.

I'm missing out on plenty of great stuff, I don't doubt that. But DLC splits too many multiplayer experiences unnecessarily and has too much potential to hurt the cohesion of singleplayer games for me to be comfortable with the idea.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I rarely buy DLC, but it's not out of defiance.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I rarely never buy DLC, but it's not out of defiance.

That's my response.

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

I almost exclusively buy singleplayer DLC and I barely even buy that.

#8 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I don't buy DLC. Some good pieces of DLC exist, and i'm not going to fight you simply because you buy them, but the industry still isn't mature enough to deal with it, so i don't support it.

#9 Posted by cyraxible (688 posts) -

I buy DLC, never been adverse, it's not that much different from expansion packs, but I don't buy it if the value is not there which is certainly true for pretty much all of the DLC out there.

#10 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I only buy single player DLC and for games I really really like ... and only if it really ads something worth seeing to the experience.

#11 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1052 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Little_Socrates said:

I rarely never buy DLC, but it's not out of defiance.

That's my response.

#12 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I buy DLC if it is relevant to my interest. It's absolutely no different to the old expansion pack model, only it leads to games being expanded upon that otherwise never would have been.

Sure, some Capcom and their ilk will try to rob you, but there are other developers who justify the asking price, and I think it's quite naive to expect that they'll give this stuff out for free (Valve are an unusual exception, as their business works on a model completely at odds with everyone else's, and I love em for it!)

#13 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

I've bought plenty of DLC. Only time I ever felt burned for it was with Saints Row 3.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

People boycott dlc? Seems dumb. Granted it's never the best part of a game, but if I like a game enough and there is some more content available for it then I'll check it out and decide if it's something worth purchasing or not.

#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I don't boycott. I just don't give a shit, and I'm usually too broke for most DLC anyways.

#16 Edited by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

I kinda boycott it. I normally wait for a game of the year edition, or something similar with the DLC packed in.

#17 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

If you wanna blame someone blame Jeff for buying the Gears of War 3 gun skin pack... you were the only one who did that!.

#18 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I've only bought DLC on very rare occasions, and always just single player content for games I really love.

#19 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I only buy DLC if it's really good value or very, very cheap. I missed it when they were called expansion packs because you know, they were more substantial. While I can appreciate the concept I just don't think 98% of DLC is good value. For reference, something like the Shivering Isles for Oblivion is good DLC.

#20 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

I usually don't buy it because it's just not worth the time and money. Fallout 3 had some good DLC releases. Mass Effect 2 did too but it was generally over priced except for Shadow Broker.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

I very, very rarely buy DLC post-launch. Day 1 DLC I just consider as a required part of the game - ie. I won't buy some half-assed version of a game at launch, so if the base game and the DLC is worth the asking price then I'll get it. If it isn't worth it then I won't get the DLC or the base game.

Which is probably why I won't buy Sim City at launch, unless it's exceptionally good. The full version of that is £65 on Origin, which is like 3x what I usually pay for a brand new boxed PC game.

#22 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

bought some good dlc, bought some bad dlc. I think you can't hate the idea behind it, it's more content for your game that they didn't have time to make before shipping (in a perfect world) it's when you get Capcom's putting their shitty dlc ideas out and shitty'ing the whole concept up. The industry will find a healthy balance for it all eventually or we'll all die first in which case who cares.

#23 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Boycotting and not-buying aren't the same thing. I haven't bought any DLC (unless The Walking Dead episodes count) but I'm in no way boycotting it. The value just isn't there for me.

#24 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I buy good DLC. I have no problem with DLC at all. Sure some companies abuse it but I don't want their games anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

#25 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

B. I don't see why I would buy DLC if it wasn't giving value for my money.

#26 Posted by Kaiserreich (699 posts) -

With the death of expansion packs I only buy DLC that I feel adds significant content to the game. And I NEVER buy day 1 DLC no matter how enticing.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

If its worth it to me I buy it... If Its not worth it to me then I don't. I don't see the big deal either way.

#28 Posted by green_sky (49 posts) -

Other the GOTY editions (Red Dead Redemption, etc) i usually don't buy much dlc. Mostly because i don't like it most of the time what is being offered and such. I did get the season pass for Uncharted 3 dlc though.

#29 Posted by FinalDasa (1726 posts) -

If you outright boycott all DLC because you assume it would have originally been in the game you don't fully understand game development.

Sure, DLC can be shady and overpriced and underhanded. But only a few violations doesn't make the whole concept fraudulent.

Support games and companies you like and don't support games and companies you don't. Simple.

#30 Posted by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

Saints Row the Third def made me think more about the value of DLC to the consumer. But after the good experiences Ive had with many Rockstar game DLC and many others Ive never gone out of my way to avoid it.

Are people REALLY still trying to boycott it (Or at least claiming to)?

I don't have a problem with people what ever side of the fence they sit on but to say all DLC is bad is straight up not true. Just like the games themselves you gotta choose whats right for you and weather what you're paying for has decent value.

#31 Posted by Draxyle (1852 posts) -

Sort of. In nearly all cases of DLC, I really feel like the value proposition is completely out of whack. For a digital product, we are being way overcharged in comparison to the actual cost/value of the base game.

The only time I ever buy DLC is when it comes as a packaged deal with the game itself. And even when I do that, I often still feel like the DLC was a waste. It just doesn't make sense as a part of the kinds of games I enjoy. A game needs to be cohesive and designed as a finished product. When you add DLC into the mix, it often de-balances story, design and mechanics and throws everyone on separate playing fields for no good reason.

I acknowledge that there are decent uses of it out there, and it's perfectly okay for expansion-pack style content, but there's way too many IP's out there that have no business delving into micro-transaction DLC (any story-centric game, Bioware, etc). It often feels more manipulative than actually beneficial to the product.

#32 Posted by yinstarrunner (1198 posts) -
@Draxyle said:

Sort of. In nearly all cases of DLC, I really feel like the value proposition is completely out of whack. For a digital product, we are being way overcharged in comparison to the actual cost/value of the base game.

The only time I ever buy DLC is when it comes as a packaged deal with the game itself. And even when I do that, I often still feel like the DLC was a waste. It just doesn't make sense as a part of the kinds of games I enjoy. A game needs to be cohesive and designed as a finished product. When you add DLC into the mix, it often de-balances story, design and mechanics and throws everyone on separate playing fields for no good reason.

I acknowledge that there are decent uses of it out there, and it's perfectly okay for expansion-pack style content, but there's way too many IP's out there that have no business delving into micro-transaction DLC (any story-centric game, Bioware, etc). It often feels more manipulative than actually beneficial to the product.

This.

I'll buy DLC when I find one that is worth the money.  At this point, that might as well be never.
#33 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

This is a thing? What, did they boycott expansions too? How about patches, fuck 'em right?

Anyway, real successful boycott.

#34 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (485 posts) -

Wait.... We were supposed to be boycotting DLC? I never got the memo. Sorry.

Seriously though I've never had much of a problem with it. On disk or off.

#35 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Never knew people were boycotting it in the first place. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you feel like the base game was compromised because of DLC, don't buy that either. There are way more than enough games in every genre to play nowadays, you're absolutely spoiled for choice. In the vast majority of cases DLC seems to either be cosmetic (who cares) or actual mini-expansions anyway, so I don't see what the fuss is about. Another case of gamers taking an odd, unnecessary moral stance on something. 

#36 Posted by Robaota (145 posts) -

I haven't bought DLC in ages, and I'd say that's down to the fact that there are a whole slew of great downloadable titles out there at a similar price point. I mainly prefer those new experiences to the expansion of existing ones that DLC typically provides.

#37 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

I haven't bought any DLC yet, and I'm not sure if it's because I hate the idea or just don't find it a value.

I've purchased nearly every Blizzard game, and for each one all the expansions. Expansion packs are basically just full-retail priced DLC, but something about what Blizzard packages into it makes it worth every penny. I haven't seen a single piece of DLC I'd say the same thing about though. Yeah, Fallout 3 had some nice DLC addons. I played them at a friend's place. He regretted purchasing them, and I'd have been in the same boat. Paying money for something I'd play through in a few hours and never touch again, awful waste.

#38 Posted by Rebel_Scum (709 posts) -

I buy dlc if its worth the money and I want to play more of a game I've more than likely completed and enjoyed. I don't have a problem with the concept. Especially since I buy the games real cheap online compared to retail store prices.

#39 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I have nothing against DLC (I think it's a good/awesome thing) but I only semi-rarely buy it simply because I'm usually done with a game by the time DLC comes out for it.

#40 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

There's nobody boycotting DLC. Maybe some douchebags pretending to.

#41 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

60$ for a game is plenty, I don't need to had too that.

#42 Posted by SeanFoster (868 posts) -

I don't mind DLC but I often wait until I can read about how much it adds.

#43 Posted by spree4567 (138 posts) -

I'll buy all sorts of DLC if I feel it's worth it, whether it's single player content, multiplayer maps, or stuff like Rock Band songs. The only stuff I won't buy is stuff like the weapon skins in Gears or costumes in Marvel vs Capcom that just modify the appearances.

#44 Posted by OtakuGamer (1237 posts) -

I've never boycotted DLC in the first place. If it’s worth the price, then I can't see a reason not buy it. I guess if someone told me that it was on the disk, then I might think twice but it’s never been something I actively avoid.

#45 Edited by Wacomole (819 posts) -

If I've enjoyed a game and the developer has created more content, I'll probably pick it up if it looks like I'd enjoy it too.

If I'd boycotted all DLC out of principle, I'd have missed out on things like "Undead Nightmare" for Red Dead Redemption, "Fury" for WipeOut HD, "Episodes from Liberty City" for GTAIV, the Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 expansion packs and all the DLC packs that came out for Burnout Paradise (much of it free) to name but a few.

#46 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

I buy DLC only for games that I wish to play further. I bought the Gravity Rush DLC even though it was apparent by the file size that it's already on the game card, which kind of pissed me off.

#47 Posted by Bubbly (254 posts) -

I don't usually buy DLC since the value is rarely there. Compared to what you get with the full game, you are getting so little content for how much you pay for DLC.

#48 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

DLC isn't necessarily the great evil of gaming that people make it out to be. Though on-disc DLC does tighten my jaws a bit. I just bought my first piece of DLC just the other night. The Echo Six expansion for RE: Operation Raccoon City, and I'm mostly OK with it.

I don't thumb my nose at the concept, you have to go product by product. Some DLC really is worthwhile while other pieces of DLC may have you wondering, "Who the fuck do you people think you are?"

@QuantumPilot said:

I kinda boycott it. I normally wait for a game of the year edition, or something similar with the DLC packed in.

You hope for that, but that doesn't seem to happen until a few years down the road.

#49 Posted by Undeadpool (4937 posts) -

I buy DLC when it's for a game that I want more of. Simple as that.

#50 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

never understood the hate for dlc.... the fact content can come out for a game a year latter is amazing. Most of that content would have been never created