How many physical video games do you own?

• 89 results
katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Poll How many physical video games do you own? (414 votes)

0 4%
<10 16%
<25 9%
<50 12%
<100 14%
<150 13%
<250 11%
<300 3%
>300 18%

I've been putting my stuff in storage recently in anticipation of having houses. While packing Iv'e started to notice the sheer amount of physical games I actually have (a little over 200). So I was wondering with the push to digital games these days how many physical games do you have cluttering your abode?

• 
MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm not really sure, but I guessed less than 150, but it could well be over that. I basically have a decent size bookshelf full of them.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know I have at least 100 PS2 games which is the largest part of my collection. The rest at least equals that number. Especially taking handheld games into account which I have a bunch and don't take up much space.

My Steam account sits at 199 right now and I certainly own more physical games than I own Steam games.

So 250-300 is my guess.

I also noticed I haven't bought a physical console game since 2012 with Persona 4 Arena when my PS3 took a dirt nap.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3  Edited By Boss_Kowbel

I collect the games I enjoy, so I have around 50 in the shrink wrap. Don't know how many opened ones I have.

Also, I'm not sure why you chose to use a "less than" symbol for the options. If someone has less than 50 games, they technically have less than 100, 150, 200, etc.

Edit: After bothering to count them, I actually have around 100 games in the shrink wrap. I certainly don't remember buying that many.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrainScratch

If I count all of physical games I had for PC and consoles, I would say <300. Most of it from PC.

If I count physical games that are still on the shelf of my room, I would say only 2. For PS4. The rest I own digitally.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

I mean, when I think about PC and PS1, it seems like a lot, but it's probably the sort of thing where if I counted it out it'd be less than I think. So probably less than 50.

PS3 games are in a bin in my closet (along with my PS3), while the 5 physical PS4 games I have are on my shelf. SNES, N64, Game Boy, PSP, PS1, and PC are in a bin in some other closet. So not much clutter. I like keeping all those old games/consoles around.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I guessed <150, but wouldn't be surprised if it's more. I've never sold/traded in anything, going all the way back to the NES.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lots.....

around 250 going all the way back to the SNES

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

It's been a long time since I updated my lists about it, but on my last update I had nearly 300 PlayStation (across PS1, PS2 and PS3) games alone. I probably have another 300 physical PC games, about 30 Genesis games and about 50 Nintendo games (Game Boy/GBA, NES, N64, DS/3DS and Wii U). So in total somewhere in the 650-700 range.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

I actually have a big spreadsheet with my full list of physically owned games, currently stands at 209 (some of which are collections containing multiple games). I've sold countless games back over the years, and have been buying mostly digital lately. I feel like I'll transition to all digital here pretty soon... but 209 is the current number :)

Amingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. Probably like five.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BoOzak

Not counting stuff stored in attics and shared with various family members probably between 150-200.

@boss_kowbel said:

I collect the games I enjoy, so I have around 50 in the shrink wrap. Don't know how many opened ones I have.

Also, I'm not sure why you chose to use a "less than" symbol for the options. If someone has less than 50 games, they technically have less than 100, 150, 200, etc.

I'm kind of the opposite in some regards, while I do have about 50 or so good games they're ones i've gone back and bought once they're cheap. I usually rent games or trade them in while they still retain some of their value and generally only keep games that I got on sale or in a bargain bin that arent worth trading in anyway. So most of my collection is pretty crappy.

But what else am I going to put on those shelves? Books? Bah.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm intrigued by this thread. The "less than 10" vote (to which I belong) is higher than I expected.

I've invested a LOT between this and the last generation in going full digital. I'd go so far as to say, if things suddenly changed and I could enjoy those downloaded titles on any future console, it would have a huge effect on my purchasing decisions

It's often said everyone wants backward compatability, but no-one uses it. Being optimistic, I hope backwards compatability is seen as a foregone conclusion for any future consoles (especially given the apparent trend to incremental upgrades).

How optimistic am I, and does anyone disagree?

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanted to correct "having houses" should be "moving houses", I'm not some rich multi-houser.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boss_kowbel:mostly so I could do the <300 >300 because I think it looks nice, probably should have done it the other way.

@broddity:I think the biggest argument that I can think of is the whole "you aren't buying the games your buying licenses for the games" thing. Also with digital purchases on older platforms (like the ps3) I'm not sure what would happen to my digital purchases if my console broke.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz said:

@broddity:I think the biggest argument that I can think of is the whole "you aren't buying the games your buying licenses for the games" thing. Also with digital purchases on older platforms (like the ps3) I'm not sure what would happen to my digital purchases if my console broke.

Yep, and I think you've highlighted the disjuncture between "what publishers are actually selling", and "what I want my purchase to represent".

My guess is that most people buying digital content - across ALL media - now expect it to carry across future hardware upgrades. If games don't follow suit, then I think it will be seen as regressive pretty quickly.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I could figure out the actual number but its around 100. Most of collection is steam but I have quite a few ps3 games and a bunch of games for each individual console I own.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ezekiel

32. I've had over a hundred, but the rest was either lost, sold or is now with my brother. I play games digitally. I have more Blu-rays than games, which I would have found hard to believe a year ago.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A lot. A very large PS2 collection and a handful of Gamecube from that generation, a huge PS3 collection, and a tonne of PC stuff.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the last physical game that I bought and still own is a copy of Bad Company 2 for PC. I used to have a PS3 with about 20 games, but I've since sold it. I don't find myself playing my old games enough to justify the hassle of packing them up when I move around.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm old and have been buying games since the mid seventies... and I've never purged my PC collection (even though I now own at least half of them on Steam and another quarter of them are on 5.25in disks [for which a USB floppy drive adapter is essentially non existent])...

So, yeah 300+ easy... and that doesn't count any console games at all...

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redwing42

I've got a pretty good swath of games of every generation. I sold off all my NES games at one point (to buy a Sega CD, of all things), but repurchased some since then. I probably have the most X360 games, (around 100) becuase I bought many for <$10 on clearance. Ps2 games are next with 70-80, along with 50-60 PS1 games, 20 or so games each of Saturn, Dreamcast, Genesis, and Sega CD, a dozen or so XBONE games and a few dozen handheld games from the GBA to the 3DS. I have a bit of a collector's focus, so I have not played a good number of these games.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

20 per console..... and the first console was the Atari 2600

Coleslaw893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Coleslaw893

Just took a look at my list and I'm at over 300 going back to the PS2/XBOX/Gamecube era. And that's not counting DS/3DS games. So probably closer to 370-380. I may have a problem.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My spreadsheet says 960. If I ever get around to playing these things the number will fall substantially as I shed the ones I don't really like.

redzavod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got 26 right now, but when I was younger my brother and I easily had over 100 PS2 games, and maybe 50 360 games. We've sold almost all of our old games, so our collection has diminished by quite a lot, but I do love the feeling of holding a game in a packed case with the starter guide booklet in the front.

locovoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm around 700-750. I've slowed down somewhat as I've started finishing collecting what I would like from each console, but I just got a PC-Engine, so that will probably set the stage for another land rush.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Tom_omb

A quick and dirty count revealed about just under 100 games. I may have some more PC disks in boxes somewhere. I don't typically get rid of my old games, so I have a few NES, SNES, N64 carts and games from all types of Gameboy and DS. I bought more games in the GameCube and 360 eras, but trading in games thinned out my collection some.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By azulot

I totally estimated and just realized, I didn't count even think of my handheld games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever 25 years of collecting adds up to, since my first Atari games when I was 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got 78 PS3/Wii/3DS/DS games on my shelf and maybe a dozen or so PC games in a box in a closet somewhere. I've never been much of a collector so I didn't hold onto most of my games and I embraced digital very quickly once that became an option.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Bloodborne.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'd guess something around 70. Although, it's been years since I bought a physical game. Basically, for me, physical games usually just aren't worth the hassle or the clutter.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhere around 30: Several PS2 games. A few PS3 and Vita games. Some old PC games here and there. And even a few N64 cartridges that I forget about at times.

bhtav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must have at least 5-600 C64 and Amiga games alone... I'm guessing I have in the neighborhood of 1500 games all said.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

250-300, I sold about 100 of them last time I moved but I've also bought a decent number since then; still have the rare PS1/PS2 games like Suikoden V, Xenosaga 3 etc.

Edit: Might be over 300 counting PC games.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot. I guessed currently under 250, but I'm nearly 40 and have been gaming since the Atari 2600. So, over the course of my life, I've probably owned thousands of them. Many of which may or may not be sitting in a box in an attic or at an old friend's house back in my home town. I've also gone more or less completely digital in the past few years, so that under 250 is quite a bit lower than my actual game count if we included those.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I used to own a bunch but then I moved countries and gave all of them away to friends because shipping is expensive and space is a valuable commodity, especially when used up by all of a sudden completely useless paperweights.

I brought a few Blu Rays with me, also now useless, with the idea that I might get a blu ray player and hack the firmware or something.

Still haven't done that. They look alright on a shelf though!

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably around 250, maybe a little over.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I have never been particularly financially stable so a large part of my upgrading to the next console has been selling off the old one and everything that came with it.

The most games I ever owned was likely for PS2, I used to count them a lot and I probably hovered around 30-40 owned titles throughout its lifespan.

Once I got PS+ and realized the convenience of digital purchases for someone like me who doesn't own a car I never looked back, though. I can name all the physical copies of games in my possession off the top of my head.

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2 (SNES)

KEN GRIFFEY JR's WINNING RUN (SNES)

TONY HAWKS PRO SKATER (Ps1)

INFAMOUS SECOND SON (PS4)

NBA 2K14 (Ps4)

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got more than a hundred, but none of them are in their covers. A small box for handheld game cartridges, a folder for discs. It doesn't take up much space.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guessed between 100-150. I own about 12 different consoles with around 10 games each (I'm guessing - my lowest would be around 5 for the PSP, whereas I own dozens of DS games). It could be much more but that's my guess. I have never given away any games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't have exact numbers, but I think it's along the lines of: 15 Ps1 games, 50 Ps2 games, 25 360 games, 20 Ps3 games, 12 3DS games, 30 PC games, and just a handful for anything else I have. Around 150-200 probably? The digital collection severely outnumbers the physical at this point. :(

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vahleticar

I only own a scratched Oblivion disc for the ps3, which doesnt work, so i voted 0. Digitally I own about a 100. I gave into the digital future a while back

Avatar image for deactivated-5835c1f29813e
deactivated-5835c1f29813e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often think about how cool it would be to have a game room with a large collection of games from years past up to until today. Then I think about the money, time, and effort that would take and it deters me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20ish. Whatever AAA stuff I got on XB1 and PS4. I like to borrow and trade games with friends. My digital games are worth nothing when I get rid of my consoles. I can get off the couch for a few seconds to change a disc. Looks like we're nearing the end of constantly replacing boxes that aren't compatible with old games, so that'll be good.

PC is all digital for me since the games don't go to waste on future hardware. I've got about 600 games on Steam and about 100 elsewhere on Origin, UPlay, etc.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put 0 but now remembering it I have an old disc version of Deus Ex kicking around in a box somewhere under my bed.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than 10 now.. But I used to have at least 100 boxes of the cardboard 90s PC game variety at around the late 90s. It was just too much, so I threw it all out. Still really miss having those boxes around tbh..

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped counting 4 or 5 years ago when I passed 300 games. Then I bought a couple random/blind boxes of old games so I'm probably over 500 now lol. Also some random guy gave me a literal car full of bootleg super famicom games. He said several hundred, he meant it. I've never tried to count them all, or even sort them, they are just in a huge box in my storage garage while I'm getting ready to move. No idea where those are going in the new house lol.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubtless unnecessary for many, but I would point to the various points Colin Moriarty is making on this over at Kinda Funny for the "digital is inevitable" argument.

I tend to agree.

JaguarJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I have the PS4 always buy and sell all my games