• 90 results
#51 Posted by shaddowkhan (34 posts) -

Between 55 euros and 60 euros generally. I'm in the Netherlands, sometimes on launch week you can get a new game for a quick 50.

#52 Posted by Wasara88 (332 posts) -

Usually 60-70 €,but that's if you just buy them from a store. I buy most of my games from åland to avoid the huge taxes for 43€.

#53 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

70euros for console games, 50euros for pc games (except some are 60euros like MW3)

#54 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Canada. Usually 60 plus tax, but some games start at 75! These included Killzone and Mortal Kombat.

#55 Posted by timlump (152 posts) -
#56 Posted by DeF (4957 posts) -
@timlump said:

@DeF: Quid is reasonably common slang in Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid

okay thanks, that was news to me. thought it referred only to pounds.
#57 Posted by eezo (286 posts) -

I love the fact that no one has said anything about "PC VS CONSOLES" yet, we all feel the pain when it comes to pricing it seems.

#58 Edited by Ares42 (2776 posts) -

@eezo said:

It's a simple question really, how much do games cost in your country?
I see alot of talk about 60$ games being expensive and this is really weird to me..
I know that in Australia they cost 120$ and here in norway they are about 106$..
So what do you guys think, is 60$ too much to ask? imo, no it's not, whenever
I see 60$ games online I think "ooh damn, thats a bargain"

While I do realize that the "standard" cost here in Norway is about 105$ you can easily get games for 70-80 in stores on launch day if you just shop smart (elkjøp har alltid release-salg). You also gotta remember that the 60$ price-tag we hear about from the states does not include sales-tax, which varies from state to state afaik. If you take away our national sales-tax our games are actually priced at about the same level, or at least same price + shipping.

Personally though I do believe 60$ is a lot to ask for certain games. Or rather, I believe certain games sells way less than they could because of the 60$ price-tag because they offer so little compared to other titles in the same price-range. Having recently bought games like GeoW3 and Dark Souls I feel I've gotten way more for my money that say when I bought Alice and Shadows of the Damned during summer. Not just because of quality or time spent really. But the fact that the two latter I just played through the campaign once and might only play them again some day if I get bored, while the two first ones even after playing a ton of multiplayer and finished the campaigns I still feel like there's more to come back to.

#59 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

us- about $63, tax son.

#60 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@oatz said:

649 Swedish kronor = 97.469416 U.S. dollars

Yup (for consoles at least)

As I said in another thread yesterday though, I hate that seemingly everyone converts USD to EUR on a 1:1 scale. That's just not how economy fucking works.
#61 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

$60 in US, no sales tax here in Oregon.

#62 Posted by Ares42 (2776 posts) -
@iam3green said:
us- about $63, tax son.
@Pr1mus said:

60$ in French Canadia so thats 68,34$ with our ridiculous taxes and there's also the occasional Warner nonsense of 70$ as was the case for Mortal Kombat.

Try living in Scandinavia with 25% sales-tax :P
#63 Posted by eezo (286 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

@iam3green said:
us- about $63, tax son.
@Pr1mus said:

60$ in French Canadia so thats 68,34$ with our ridiculous taxes and there's also the occasional Warner nonsense of 70$ as was the case for Mortal Kombat.

Try living in Scandinavia with 25% sales-tax :P

Pretty much this! Norway is one expensive fucking country!

#64 Posted by Super_Yosh_64 (126 posts) -

$60 but i know that in croatia they are like 150 euros for a psp game and like 200+ for ps3 games depending on the title

#65 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

Console is $60, PC is $50. 

They're both too expensive.

#66 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

Generally £35-45.

Moderator Online
#67 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

$59.99 + taxes = $68 (Quebec; for consoles) 
$49.99 + taxes = $56.70 (Quebec; for PC)

#68 Posted by Strud (24 posts) -

Australian prices are not really that bad if you shop around. I have never paid more that AU$90 for a standard edition. I got Gears 3 and Arkham City for $68 recently, and our prices include taxes (so no extra added). Often games are sold at RRP in EB Games but are ~$30 cheaper in the large department stores.

#69 Posted by TheSpoonyBard (57 posts) -

On average, a game here is about $65 Singapore dollars, which is roughly $50 US.

#70 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

$120 NZ for AAA

approx. $95 US

#71 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

In Spain, €60 (~$82) is the norm. Though I've seen some games for around €70 on launch.

#72 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

Depends where you buy and for what platform. Most console games can be from 59.99-69.99 plus tax, while PC stuff is 49.99-59.99 some times.

#73 Edited by Addfwyn (1945 posts) -

Hm, about 6000-7000 yen, give or take (I've seen up to about 8000). Given current exchange rates that is about $78-91 if directly transferred over (Though $60-70 more practically speaking).

EDIT: Prices drop FAST though. If you are willing to wait a week or two you can get games for like 4000 yen that used to be new.

#74 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry said:

$60 in the USA with tax it is about $64-68 or so.

I really dont like the way that in america they dont have the VAT on the price... its such a dissappointment when you get to the checkout.

Also in england games are supposed to be £49.99 but they are always £39.99, i guess its one of those marketing things.

#75 Posted by eezo (286 posts) -
@CptChiken said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

$60 in the USA with tax it is about $64-68 or so.

I really dont like the way that in america they dont have the VAT on the price... its such a dissappointment when you get to the checkout.

Also in england games are supposed to be £49.99 but they are always £39.99, i guess its one of those marketing things.

I agree, VAT should be on all prices imo.. makes things easier.
#76 Posted by benpicko (2012 posts) -
@AlisterCat

Console games are about £40, but I tend to buy online for £30 - £35. PC games can be anything from £15 - £35, with about £25 being the norm. PC gaming is a much cheaper option for me.

Console games aren't £40 if you go to anywhere decently competive. I got Modern Warfare 2 the day it came out for £27 from Sainsburys.
#77 Posted by benpicko (2012 posts) -
@MattyFTM

In the UK the RRP is generally about £45, which is about $70. But when you consider our VAT (sales tax) is 20% and is included in that price, at current exchange rates we're paying slightly less to the game companies than we would in the US. As exchange rates fluctuate we might pay more or less compared to the US. Plus new games generally aren't fixed to £45 like they're fixed to $60 in the US, so shopping around you'll usually find games a good deal cheaper than that. And that's not mentioning that the average wage in the US is pitifully low compared to most other countries, so in general we have more money to spend than Americans. Those are things people often don't take into account when comparing international prices. Sure, some places often do get a raw deal, but lots of people also complain about high prices that aren't actually as high as they first seem. Simply doing a currency conversion and slapping a figure in dollars never shows the full picture, and can be very misleading.

This is very true. I moved to Canada, and before I moved I just threw $60 into the convertor and was happy that it was around the same price. Then I got here, and I noticed that tax isn't already added into the prices and that no shops here are competitive in the slightest, which made the price considerably more overall.
#78 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

Sixty Bison Dollars.

#79 Posted by Daiphyer (1350 posts) -

10,000 souls new, 5000 souls used.

I do a lot of grinding.

#80 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (436 posts) -

@eezo: yo duder, Aus games new are $95-105

#81 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

RRP of $109.95 AUD usually at places like EB Games and GAME with PC games usually $10 cheaper.

#82 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

100$-110$ish

#83 Edited by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -

PS3 and 360 games, new, are $60. Wii games are about $40 or $50, I think. PC games are generally about 30 to 50 dollars, usually closer to 50. Couldn't tell ya how much games cost for the handhelds. I'm not 100% sure about those prices for PC and Wii, but I know that PS3 and 360 games are the same price (60 bucks). Speaking in terms of U.S. dollars, by the way.

#84 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

Depends on the game.

Spain: http://www.game.es/ and http://www.gamestop.es/

I never buy new games, though, I wait until they are €20. Now I'm in UK and I'll buy some games cheaper than that, way cheaper than the spanish price.

#85 Edited by mnzy (2920 posts) -

German stores usually had new console games at 59,99€ (~$82), now they are often 49,99€ (~$69) or even 44,99€ (Gears 3). PC games are 5-10€ cheaper.

I guess it's to fight imports from the UK that are about 40€ (~$55).

#86 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -

Sixty bucks. Thank god for Steam.

#87 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

360/PS3 games are $60. Wii/ most PC games are $50. 3DS games are $40. Most DS games are $30. I have no idea how much PSP games cost. 
I live in the US.

#88 Posted by Castiel (2704 posts) -

Around 90 dollars where I live.

#89 Edited by Castiel (2704 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

$92. Economy is way different in Denmark though, so that's not even a lot.

Ahhh I would say it's a fair price, I wouldn't exactly call it cheap though, but I'm definitely okay with the prices for videogames in Denmark. The game companies gotta earn some money too.

#90 Posted by Pepsiman (2488 posts) -

There's no real universal standard for game prices here in Japan unlike what you'll find in places like the States. Publishers/developers pick individual prices for each games that they think the market can support and as a result, you can see a lot of pretty dramatic differences between even recently released games. This leads to a couple of interesting scenarios:

• A game is expensive because it has a large fanbase that the people choosing the price know will pay, essentially maximum bang for maximum buck. This is a pretty common tactic for console games from big-name franchises with large followings since there's a steady amount of both supply and demand. For instance, if memory serves, Konami priced the regular edition of Metal Gear Solid 4 at something like 9000+ yen, which, in terms of the exchange rate at the time, meant about 90 to 100 USD. Could Konami have bumped it down a notch and still made a profit in Japan? Almost definitely, but in a hyper-capitalist economy like Japan's, why go to the trouble when similar numbers of people will still buy the game at a higher price? That's not to say that this tactic always works, though. Those who paid attention to sales figures a few years ago might recall the massive and rapid deflation of The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks underwent because Nintendo overestimated the demand for the game in Japan, which caused retailers to implement massive discounts when it wasn't selling as well as anticipated soon after release; that's how much extra stock they had. It's common for places like Amazon to provide some discounts for preorders prior to release, but Spirit Tracks' price unofficially went down 90 percent really quickly, well before it should have otherwise entered bargain bins. As a result of that, Nintendo has since become even more skittish about releasing Zelda games in Japan than before, with the OOT remake shipping a lot fewer copies, but also sufficiently meeting demand.
  • A game is expensive because the potential market for it is small and as such fewer numbers need to pay more in order to offset development costs. This tends to happen most often with locally developed PC games, especially those of the eroge and visual novel varieties. Games that operate within this pricing mentality usually cater to relatively obscure niches (and yes, despite their infamy, that includes the vast, vast majority of eroge) and as such the developer is usually more keen on breaking even than actually making a significant profit, something that is especially true when releasing games on the PC in Japan. Technically, this is still maximum bang for maximum buck, but minus the intent of making gangbusters on top of an almost guaranteed level of profit.
  • A game is cheap because it has a modest scope and a limited budget. This is essentially the Wal-Mart approach to video game pricing, as the hope is that sheer volume will ultimately bring in more money than simply printing less and selling those copies at a higher price. It's a mentality that's gotten less popular in recent years just by sheer virtue of changing market dynamics, the proliferation of download stores, and budgeting costs for HD consoles, but there have been long-running series of budget games that continue to be made for the PS2 and Wii that are successful just by sheer virtue of how many of them they are. The most prominent series, the Simple line, which typically prices games at 1500, 2000, and 2500 yen (the third being relatively rare even today), has been in active development since the PS1 era and numbers over 100 "installments," with the content ranging from board game adaptations to simple action games and business sim games. Some series, such as Oneechanbara, actually started out this way before being localized and going (modestly) "big," but the vast majority stay within Japan because there's both no need to bring them abroad financially and that the content is usually not universally appealing on a global level. Japanese indie developers, of course, also usually go this route by default, albeit more for reasons of just breaking even in a non-professional arena, since setting the price high like in the second scenario without a sufficient amount of public awareness and reputation would probably be financial suicide.

In general, though, new portable games tend to command 4,000 to 6,000 yen, while major console and PC games go between 6,000 yen to 10,000 yen. If the game in question is from a popular series or has really good word of mouth, chances are that its price will be on the higher end of that spectrum. Of course, a lot of games also get budget releases and those prices are also left up to the individual publisher/developer's discretion, although regardless of platform, those prices are usually between 2,000 and 4,000 yen. Save for that first bullet point, I haven't included any exchange rates because they don't really reflect how cheap/expensive those prices are within Japan itself, especially when comparing it with the US dollar, which is just kind of doing terrible all around in general. I also realize that what I said isn't particularly revelatory and is to be expected from a capitalist economy, but I still find it interesting to witness first-hand and contrast with the US market, where hardware makers and certain publishers (starting with Activision) managed to set specific precedents successfully early on in recent generations that has most everyone too scared to deviate very often in non-budget re-release contexts. It's funky stuff.