#1 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

For last couple of days I have been toying with Radeonpro - dynamic frame rate and SMAA-injection stuff. I noticed that I can get most of the games to run solid 60fps but I am having trouble with open world games, especially with Saints Row games. For example, with SR3 I get 40-50 tops fps on the out door areas (60 in the indoors) - no matter what setting I use and monitored GPU usage does not go past 75%. Doing stuff like spinning around really fast wont affect the framerate, but running in a straight line does.

So, do you guys think that faster hd (SSD) would help or can the bottleneck be my 4 year old CPU.

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

It's always been my understanding that an SSD only affects the actual loading of a game. I have both an SSD and a normal HD and I honestly don't notice any difference when I play games on one or the other other then when on a loading screen. In that case the SSD is usually like 2-3 seconds quicker but that's about it. The biggest benefit to SSD from my experience is that windows loads up in a snap and is a little zippier than when on an SSD.

#3 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

@crusader8463: Yes, but in games like SR, game has to read data (stream) during the playing from the hd. So, I am wandering if drops with the fps is due to the slow disc access times.

#4 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

I don't think it will help the framerate much. It would probably only help reduce texture pop-ins and loading times. A 4-year-old CPU does sound like a likely bottleneck.

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo: As I said, I have used my SSD and my normal harddrive for many of games and there is zero difference outside of the loading screens. That's it. I saw no jump in gameplay.

#7 Posted by ProfMembrane (16 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo: As I said, I have used my SSD and my normal harddrive for many of games and there is zero difference outside of the loading screens. That's it. I saw no jump in gameplay.

Agreed. I have Saints Row 3 on my SSD and while it loads nice and fast, the frame rate is unaffected. Actually, Saints Row 4 runs better on my regular hard drive. I wonder if its an optimization issue.

#8 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

Thanks guys. I will try to OC my processor and see how that will effect things. If I would be betting man, I would put money on the guess that I will have excuse to build a new computer soon.

#9 Edited by Driadon (2995 posts) -

Most games do their data dump to RAM during loading screens so unless you barely have enough RAM to run the game, it likely won't be streaming much off the HDD; plus anything it would have to stream in beyond that wouldn't be large enough for an SSD to make a difference.

#10 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

OK, I overclocked the CPU from 2800MHz to 3400MHz and there were no noticeable difference with the fps performance, GPU usage went way higher. Strange.