#1 Posted by Jothel (937 posts) -

Because if it's going to be a while I may buy a ps3 with a subscription and just play the free games from there.

#2 Edited by Sammo21 (3556 posts) -

Honestly? I bet for a good long time. I kept both of my PS3s and got rid of my 360 and I am pretty thankful I made that move. I wouldn't doubt if PS+ for PS3 continues even past its life cycle. Can you think of a better way to move to almost all profit hardware for a company?

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (15163 posts) -

Id say two years at minimum.

#4 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

I think it'll be for years to come just look at how long they supported the ps2. And with PS+ it shouldn't be too difficult to just get a couple games up for free so there's no reason for them not to.

#5 Posted by mosespippy (4462 posts) -

Considering they still put up PSP games from time to time I'd say it'll be a long long time.

#6 Posted by spraynardtatum (3716 posts) -

at least a century. way after we're all dead and in the ground.

#7 Posted by Dark (404 posts) -

@spraynardtatum: Not long enough, I want to know that my great great great great grandson/granddaughter could play the free games that I didn't pay for on the ps3. Unacceptable IMHO.

#8 Edited by ILikePopCans (775 posts) -

I think people are being to generous. I would say around a year of constant support more. But I'm also not 100% sure because PS+ is a newer thing and we never seen this scenario before.

#9 Posted by spraynardtatum (3716 posts) -

@dark said:

@spraynardtatum: Not long enough, I want to know that my great great great great grandson/granddaughter could play the free games that I didn't pay for on the ps3. Unacceptable IMHO.

Transfer your digital rights to him/her like Bruce Willis

#10 Posted by BigSocrates (409 posts) -

In terms of new content coming out? Probably a couple years. There will still be plenty of PS3 games in 2014 and some in 2015. They may cycle stuff in and out after that but I wouldn't bet on it.

In terms of still being able to play games you downloaded? Probably many years. Authentication servers are not very expensive and PSN will still be up supporting PS4 and the Vita. I would imagine you'll run through the library before they shut down access.

#11 Posted by Sammo21 (3556 posts) -

I don't see why someone would think this program would last a year more for PS3. They will only MAKE money off of this and can you imagine Sony being able to push PS3's with the promise of a large instant game collection? Since none of those games are backwards compatible on the PS4 they can sell systems even at $100 for profit and promise the IGC. I don't see how that isn't a win-win.

#12 Posted by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

If they can make a profit it will say... it will make a profit.

#13 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

They'll continue supporting PS3 for at least a year, probably more. Until there is a large back-catalogue of PS4 games, they can't give away too many PS4 games. It'll cost them too much money giving away brand new, just released games. So they're going to continue to push the already established platform, with a large back catalogue to pull games from.

#14 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

For as long as they are selling the PS3, which will be for a long time. At least until PS5 is in production.