How much of a chance do you give a game before dropping it?

• 50 results
TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have a habit of pushing through games that I only moderately enjoy, for the sake of finishing it and the hope that it will get better/grow on me.

Similarly to putting a book down once you know it isn't for you, how do you know when to stop playing a game? Is there a time limit or some other hard rule you go by?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

I used to try and finish everything, but it really depends on the game. I have spent 40 hours with games I hate (Lost Planet 2) and dropped others that I find boring after 4-5 hours.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Most of the time like 20% through the game I'll decide if I should keep playing.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

4 - 5 hours.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how much I paid for it. If it was a steam sale or bargain bin then it only gets a few hours.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By Slag

@trancequina:

I'm like you I'll usually finish it. Unless it's something I know is super long (40hrs+) or it's super bad. In those cases I usually give the long guys about 10-15 hours and the super bad ones I drop as soon I can't stand it anymore.

I think the quickest I've dropped a game was about 45 minutes.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ford_Dent

I think the most time I've given a game that I didn't really like was probably 4 hours. Most of the time I can figure out if I'm going to like a game or not within the first hour or so of gameplay.

Other games I will keep playing out of spite, such as FFXIII, which got about ten hours of my time before I walked away forever.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually can tell if a game and I will be friends within an hour.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I dropped Dust: An Elysian Tale after 20 minutes. I dropped Bound by Flame after more like 10 hours.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I don't even finish games I like. So, I don't know.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't have a hard and fast rule; I play until I don't anymore. I'll usually put a game down after a few hours, and if I don't pick it back up...well, even then, I might come back later. I'm obsessive about keeping my save files, so I'll sometimes pick games back up years later, if I remember things well enough.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. The last game I 'dropped' was remember me, and that took like 3-4 hours. The setting was really cool, the story seemed decent, but the gameplay was just so mediocre. Kind of makes me wish it was an open world game. Sci fi open world games are the fucking best. Now I really want a new deus ex game on new consoles.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it was cheap/PS+, I have dropped games in around 20 minutes and would do so again. If it was full price I will probably finish it, unless the game is super bad or boring.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends entirely on the game itself. It matters what's turning me off the game. Is it the story? The characters? The mechanics? the artstyle?

Also depends how much i paid for it. If i paid full price ill probably force myself to play through the whole thing. If i got it for super cheap or free. Then yeah i'll drop it.

The most recent game i stopped playing was Hitman: Absolution. I got for free with the games for gold thing. Got to a point where i was fighting PMC army dudes or something and it just felt like a really bad splinter cell knock off at that point.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel like I have played enough games to know when I should put them down. Can be after 30 minutes to 20 hours

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZolRoyce

If a game is bad I'll finish it.
If a game is boring, two to four hours or so. Much quicker if it is a bad and boring game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

As much or as little as it takes!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I'll play till I don't feel like playing that particular game anymore and I want to play something else. But once I get some momentum going I tend to try and see it through to the end, if I find a reason to do so.

If I'm just testing the waters with a particular game, I'll play anywhere from a few minutes to maybe upwards of a few hours of it to give it a chance to sink its hooks into me, but if I'm not feeling it after that I'll try something else. I don't try to force it, but I do try to play long enough to really give it a proper chance. Playing 15 minutes of some short action or puzzle game might be enough, but a long ass rpg will usually require at least a couple hours.

If a game already has its hooks in me and I've made some decent progress and I do want to see it to the end, but I'm starting to lose my momentum for some reason, I'll perhaps take a break and play something else for a while.

And sometimes a game will just not really have anything that compels me to see it all the way through to the end, if there is an end, and I'll just drop it when I feel I've had enough or if I decide to try something else to see if I might want to play it instead.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game but I give about 30% of their reported length a go before opting out.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure. Ask Kingdoms of Amalur.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I have stopped playing games after less than an hour of playtime. I can usually tell if I'm going to enjoy a game or not pretty early on.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Depends on the game, but in most cases it's an hour or two.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

If a game still isn't fun by the time the credits roll, I just walk away.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

That record belongs to Dragon Age II, a game in which I spent less than two hours before confidently deleting it from my hard drive.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i pretty much always know a game will be good just from gameplay vids.so i dont really buy bad games,but i usually have a rule to give a game 4 or 5 hours before quiting.although 99 percent of games i buy i like so i mostly finish them.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#27 riostarwind  Moderator

It depends on the game but I tend to complete a game no matter what. Like if it was utterly horrible I would keep playing it just to see how bad it can really get. If the game is great then I have no issues with finishing it either. It's the average game that sometimes is just so bland I can't stand playing it for more than 4 hours if it has no redeeming quality other than being mediocre.

DiamondDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give most games the half hour litmus test. If a game hasn't grabbed me after 30 or so minutes, I usually leave it and try something else.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A game has to be pretty bad for me not to continue playing it. However, if it feels like there is something good in there I'll keep plugging away to ensure I'm not giving up on a possibly good experience. I don't have much spare cash, so I like to be sure that I didn't waste any of my money on a purchase. I tend to give games second and third chances.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hardly ever end up "hating" the games I buy, maybe because I tend to not buy them right on release. I however do have bad habit of not ever playing many of the games I buy.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost never intentionally drop a game, but sometimes I just won't feel like playing and switch to something else, and sometimes I don't end up switching back. Ocassionally I will pick a seemingly abandoned game back up. I have finished games years after I started, or taken multiple 6 month breaks. I am unpredictable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I have a tendency to finish every game that I start with the exception being RPG's which I'll usually give between 4-10 hours to hook me. Some personal highlights of truly atrocious games I've finished within the last year include Alone in the Dark on the 360 and Game Party Champions on the Wii U.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends on the game, there are games I gave up about 15 minutes after starting them or there are games where I gave about 20 hours before dropping them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

DiabeticJimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's up to how shitty the game is. If it's just okay I'll play it to the end. If it's crap I'll give it about an hour. I used to play crap games all the way through and hoped they got better but if you have to wade through shit to get to okay gameplay it's not worth it.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I dont really drop games. I buy few games compared to most people you find on these sort of communitys. I also ignore hype and reviews so generally I only end up with games I will actually fully play through and enjoy.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got about three hours into okami hd recently and realized the combat wasn't going to be enough of a challenge to keep me playing, so that was that. i'd say that's typical for me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I give it a chance until I'm bored with the game, afterwards I drop it.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gatehouse

I'm very selective with the games I buy, I very rarely get something on a whim. If it turns out to be dull but story based, then I'll probably slog through it. Also, if a game I really like is pissing me off, I'll drop it. I've just done that with Might and Magic Clash of Heroes after it just started being a dick.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jeust said:

I give it a chance until I'm bored with the game, afterwards I drop it.

This.

Time spent varies!

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's PS+ then about an hour or two, but if I've bought it from a shop then I'll probably finish it unless it mind achingly dull in which case I'd chuck it.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost never permanently drop a game unless it is a completely unplayable mess. Heck, I even finished Ride to Hell: Retribution. I do sometimes get bored of a game and put it off to the side for while, but I usually return to it at some point - possibly even years later - as was the case with X-Men Destiny, which I started in 2011 and picked back up to finish in March of this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I think I gave xmen destiny about ten minutes.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: Okami HD is a current prime example of a game that I can tell is good and would be good to check off my list, but is just not keepings its hooks in me. I'm probably about halfway through it and I just fell off of it, so now it's just sitting on my hard drive, like so many others. Time to either play it or delete it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll drop a game in an hour or two if it's boring, bad or has some nasty bug that can't be avoided.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the genre of the game I'd say. There are some RPGs that I've dropped after ten and even twenty hours. Then we have some indie games that I play for maybe a half hour to an hour and dropped. I'd like to finish games, but I have such a large backlog that I really just don't have time to play games that I'm not enjoying.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By leebmx

I'll give what I feel like is a fair shake -- enough to get a sense of what the game is and isn't. I'll try to put in at least 2-3 sessions of not enjoying a game, since I could just be in a bad mood or too tired/hungry to play it well. Given my huge backlog of cheap/free/old games, I've been getting way more comfortable with saying "I'm not enjoying this, time to move on." I used to try to force my way through games, especially if I'd spent serious money on them, but at this point I'd rather be out $20 than out $20 and 20 hours.

Recent casualties include Catherine, Far Cry 3, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon Age: Origins, and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.

Wait what? What made you stop playing DA:O?

For me it really depends on the game (Duh) I suppose I give up when I feel I have tried all the different systems the game has to offer and the story isn't something I am interested in. How long this takes depends on the game. It took me 10 hours to dump the latest Assassin's Creed. The strangest one was Dark Souls 1 where I got up to the last boss and then stopped. I figured out that the reward I was getting for killing the bosses was new areas to explore and I wasn't going to get this from killing the final boss. So I stopped.

A lot of other times I might stop a game to play something else and then just not come back. Off the top of my head I still have to finish Borderlands 2, Dead Rising 2 and Mark of the Ninja.

A good story will get me to the end of almost anything.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Usually I give games a few hours to grab me, but my record is Beyond Two Souls, I turned it on and it crashed like two minutes in and I havent touched it since. Its completely unfair and I keep trying to convince myself to play ot but idk.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ninnanuam

depends on the style of game, 2 to 3 hours for an open world game like Skyrim or Saints Row. An hour to 90 minutes for a smaller game. but I try to come back to the games that don't grab me during that window when I've got some time to kill.

I don't like to force myself to play games I don't enjoy but I try to give them two chances. I would never have finished some great games without that second attempt.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I tend to finish all games, even if I don't like them. I just like seeing all the content.