#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Spoilers?

The thing I am confused about is that I had once spoiled Star Ocean 3 on another gaming website and was actually modded for it. However the game is like... nearly ten years old and is a greatest hits title that shows that it sold over a million units!

I realize it being popular doesn't matter when it comes to spoilers, however I do my best to NOT spoil cult classic games like Earthbound and such. For the reason that not many people have heard of those games. While ones that sell over a million units I would think that after a certain amount of time that you could talk about spoilers without using spoiler tags unless it really is a cult classic story based game.

I would like to know the mods opinion on this the most actually. How do you guys deal with spoilers in terms of time it came out and how many were sold?

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#3 Posted by Giantstalker (1532 posts) -

I believe a year is a good period of time for anything, such as ME3, but honestly it's more important to be cognizant of who you're talking to.

And for people who go blindly cruising the net and get offended by a lack of spoiler warnings, it's your own damn fault. Keeping the plot a surprise is the prospective player's responsibility, not the community.

For the record, I someday plan on playing ME3, have had the ending totally spoiled, and don't care. I think people believe it's a bigger issue than it really is.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Depends on the community, really. For example, it may be a big spoiler here to say that Sigurd dies at the end of chapter 5, but in a Fire Emblem community, hell no.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

And for people who go blindly cruising the net and get offended by a lack of spoiler warnings, it's your own damn fault. Keeping the plot a surprise is the prospective player's responsibility, not the community.

Doesn't that depend on context, too? I mean, yea, it's your fault if you found ME3 spoilers in an ME3 thread, but it's harder to expect such things from a Radiant Historia blog. (This has happened to me, I think.)

#6 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

have learned this the hard way too many times.

#7 Posted by Zoidberg54 (33 posts) -

I don’t want to say one year just because depending on the popularity of the game it could possibly still be selling like hotcakes or be at full price. I think once a game starts selling for around 20-30$ forum spoilers aren’t as big of a deal. Obviously there isn't a blanket statement won't work for all games but probably enough. Although, never forget to put some sort of spoiler label on such a post. That’s just good etiquette.

#8 Edited by efman (208 posts) -

I believe in the idea of devoting spoilers to any piece of media whenever, ideally sectioned off, so long as the provider is upfront about it so as not to spoil it for people who aren't in on the conversation. There is always going to be the people who are hip to the happenings of a certain game/movie the day it gets released to the public, and those are the people who are hungry for commentary as part of their media at any given point, regardless of a set statute of limitation having to run out. People still tread lightly around certain things going way back -- the forethought of conviction is the solution, really.

#9 Posted by Gaff (1651 posts) -

If I hear people referring to games like Earthbound as "cult classics" one more time...

Anyway, a year, give or take. Sure, people can play games at a different pace, may or may rely on Christmas / birthday presents, real life commitments. But more than a year? Then you're just not trying hard enough.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

For the record, I someday plan on playing ME3, have had the ending totally spoiled, and don't care. I think people believe it's a bigger issue than it really is.

I think that very much depends on the context. Fair enough, if you don't want to know how Mass Effect 3 ends, you shouldn't read message board topics with people discussing it, but how many topics have you seen that are on completely different subjects, yet somehow get dragged into discussing how bad the end was? Not everyone plays games the minute their released, asking for a little common courtesy isn't too much to ask. Hell, I completely avoided message boards until I finished ME3 and still almost had it spoiled by Jeff blurting out what happens on Twitter.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

You should never spoil a game. To this day there are people who haven't played Max Payne or Call of Duty 4, so discussing the endings of either one freely and without warnings and tags is a bad thing to do.

#12 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Depends on the community, really. For example, it may be a big spoiler here to say that Sigurd dies at the end of chapter 5, but in a Fire Emblem community, hell no.

Sigurd the Volsung does not die that early in the story!

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry:

It's halfway through the game :|.

#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I think it really is hard to define. I just assume that when I'm talking, people haven't played the game(s) because I can't guarantee they have.

Also..

This is absolutely the sanest and least offensive Jay thread I've ever read.
#15 Posted by pyromagnestir (4243 posts) -

My position is if multiple years have passed then it's the persons fault for not getting to it sooner. They probably don't really care about the thing in question else why haven't they gotten to it yet. Fuck em. If that gets me in trouble somewhere so be it. If there are innocent casualties (say someone young just finding out about such a thing who hadn't previously been able to see a movie or play a game), too bad, and so be it.

#16 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Still_I_Cry:

It's halfway through the game :|.

Not that Sigurd <_<.

That fits with my reference though because the one I was talking about dies halfway into the story.

Ah, just forget it..

On topic - I don't think you should ever openly post a spoiler without warning.

#17 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Gaff said:

If I hear people referring to games like Earthbound as "cult classics" one more time...

Anyway, a year, give or take. Sure, people can play games at a different pace, may or may rely on Christmas / birthday presents, real life commitments. But more than a year? Then you're just not trying hard enough.

But Earthbound basically is a cult classic, just with a very devoted following. Kinda shocking that over 3 million downloads of Mother 3 have happened and nintendo still hasn't done anything to stop it yet.

#18 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Three years. After that anyone who was going to get it and cared about the story would have already bought it.

#19 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

If it's just on any normal game forum then it should never be ok to post spoilers without a warning. 

It's not as if it's the most difficult or time consuming thing in the world to do anyway. 

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

If it is written type 'spoiler' before you type anything and if you are saying it say "spoiler" before you say anything. That way those that want to avoid the spoiler can avoid the information. This simple little rule makes the question in the OP sort of pointless because, ultimately, every person will have a different answer to the question. So it's best just to be safe and make sure everyone reading/listening knows about potential spoilers.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

Three years. After that anyone who was going to get it and cared about the story would have already bought it.

Not necessarily. For example, I care about Heavy Rain's story and plan to play it, but I don't have a PS3, so I won't get around to it for a good while yet.

Of course, I'm not going to blame the person that openly spoils it at this point either. I'll be disappointed, but there IS a limit.

#22 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

To me the rules of spoilers are this:

1. Within the span of a year spoiler alerts and warning are warrant. In case of spoiler cast then save them for spacial ones so people can avoid them if need be.
  2. If the game has a sequel out.
  3. If the game is last gen.
  4. If the game has a niche crowd.
  5. Now the last, and probably more important, is if the writer/blogger feels the need to inform the readers before hand.

A great example of responsible spoiling is the spoiler cast GB does. Listened to all of them. Some I played, some I didn't but it was my choice and I new before hand. The MGS 4 spoiler cast is still the best one of them all. I feel like it should have gone for 3 hours.

#23 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

The constant HD remix/collection/rerelease/remakes don't help things either when it comes to spoiler potential. In theory when they come out there's a 'new crowd', usually people who were very young or not playing games when the original released, who you might accidentally annoy if you mention something you think is completely innocent.

#24 Posted by jaymorgoth (242 posts) -

I follow the Giantbomb staff rule of 90 days, in fact I have incorporated into all media I consume. Then again I am a person who will media blackout to avoid spoilers, but the 90 day rule has worked well for me so far. Like they said on the early bombcasts, if you haven't played it in 90 days you don't really care enough about it for it to matter.

#25 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Spoilers are never okay. There's enough...stufffff...in this world that you'll never get around to everything you'd be interested in on time.

For fuck's sake, Game of Thrones was first published in 1996. But if you go around telling people who dies then you'll be skewered.

#26 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3173 posts) -

Why would you spoil anything ever? Just warn people and get on with it. Then again Giant Bomb just kind of spoiled Fez like 3 days after it came out.