Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By Jensonb

Background

So Bomb Should Have A Face, the Giant Bomb Community Podcast, has come a long way since it was a crazy idea MattBodega came up with way back when. Now, owing to changing circumstances, the show's various jobs have changed hands and changed method a lot since we began. At first, MattBodega did almost everything. He found topics (With TC's help), edited the show, booked guests and of course hosted...Everything. But since then, his workload has increased, so he can't really do that any more.

So TC and I took over much of the Production stuff. Editing is us, TC leads on finding Topics and I book Guests. But we haven't had particularly structured methods of preparing the show up until now, mostly owing to the fact that we have other stuff to deal with too. It's been okay, but there has been an increasing amount of feedback which (Correctly) identifies the content that is getting BSHAF-ed as coming from incresingly repetitive places, and points out that BSHAF is slightly hindered by the somewhat segregated community.

Today, I'm taking steps to change that. This post is designed to reveal the process (Which we are now formalising) behind making the BSHAF.

Topics for Discussion

Topic Picking is receiving a re-vamp. TokyoChicken, my hard-working counterpart, reads more User Blogs and Forum Topics than anyone else on Giant Bomb. I Guarantee it. Just because he hasn't left a response, doesn't mean he hasn't read it and noted it. But he is of course, just one guy. He can't possibly see everything the community does in one week.

So, we are encouraging that same community to help him out. In future, if you see a Blog Post or a Forum Topic which you think is rad, or which could lead to an interesting discussion on the show (Or a shallow, but highly entertaining, fight between the Regulars) then drop TokyoChicken a PM or e-mail your suggestion to theBSHAF@gmail.com.

Now, in the past, TokyoChicken (Occassionally with my input) has put together a raw list of 5-6 topics for discussion on the Night of the Recording and then the Regulars, in the Pre-Show Skype Call, would whittle it down to two or three. Occassionally adding in Site Business or whatnot if we felt the need. As such, final say has been entirely editorial. With this new focus on Community-picked content, future BSHAF Topic Picking will be heavily weighted in favour of Discussion Topics which have been suggested most often.

Editorial discretion (In that same Pre-Show Skype Call) will be excercised for taste or to stop people gaming the system - i.e., to prevent the same repetition of only a select few contributors we're trying to get away from.

What this means is, Bomb Should Have A Face Discussion Topics will now be based heavily on The Community Matters that The Community tell us Matter Most!

Guests & Rotating Regular

To deal with these related areas in reverse order...

Rotating Regular (This Week's Disgaeamad)

As many of you may know, Bomb Should Have A Face used to be a Four Man operation, not a Three Man operation. That was before we lost voice of my (And his) heartland Disgaeamad, whose connection issues are now legendary and can be discussed here. Since then, we have typically used the 4th seat as a second Guest Spot. Starting in Episode 19, we are using a Rotating Regulars list.

That means the following Users can now be considered a part of the Bomb Should Have A Face Team (Albeit only occassionally actively involved)

I'll sort out with them which weeks they'll be appearing on individually. If you ever want to know who will be on any upcoming episode (I usually know 2 in advance for sure and 3 on a preliminary basis), just PM or e-mail me. This list is not set in stone, we can easily add some new folks to it. So if you feel snubbed, do not be alarmed!

Guests

Up until now, BSHAF guests would PM one of us or get in touch somehow and we would try and fit them in, or else we would suddenly ask you if you could do it "tonight" or "this week". Now that's a bit of a fiasco, so I'm going to streamline matters. From now on, I will handle all guest spot booking. What this means is that if you want to appear on the show, all you have to do is PM or e-mail me any time starting from now and I will add you to the newly created Guest Pool.

Later, I will get in touch with you about a date and the logistics.

A couple of things to note here:
  1. Everyone is welcome. No user is a nobody. Bomb Should Have A Face awarded User of the Year to Everyone for a reason. We think ech and every user of Giant Bomb is interesting and worthy of getting a shot on the show. Hell, look at me! I've done virtually nothing of significance but annoy people and I'm a host! If I can do that, then you are at least twice as qualified to be a guest. So no matter who you are, if you want on, put your name down.
  2. Bomb Should Have A Face is a Skype Podcast. As such, a Skype Account is required. Additionally, you will obviously need a microphone of some sort and we cannot stress enough that you should use headphones no matter what kind of microhphone you use. If you want to be cool and call us from a PSP, you will earn mad Kudos. In fact, I'm going to make an Achievement for that.

Listener Questions

Bomb Should Have A Face is infamous for not vetting Listener Questions - to MattBodega's audible chagrin. We have no itnention of changing that policy, so we'll just remind you that questions can be PM'd to MattBodega, TokyoChicken or Myself. They can be e-mailed to theBSHAF@gamil.com or me.  And finally, we solicit questions from the Giant Bomb IRC every show night - sometimes engaging the chat in live discussions about the show and its topics (iBSHAFs).

To Conclude

This has been a look at how Bomb Should Have A Face is going to be managed in the future. But we're a Communtiy Podcast, so we love to hear from you! That means we encourage your feedback on our process as well as stuff in the community. So let us know what you think and drop us any suggestions you have for improvements!

The BSHAF Team
NameRoles
 MattBodega Creator, Host, Executive Producer
 TokyoChicken Show Runner (Topics Picker), Co-Host
 Jensonb Casting Director (Fancy way of saying Guest Booker), 2nd Co-Host, Backup Host

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jensonb

Background

So Bomb Should Have A Face, the Giant Bomb Community Podcast, has come a long way since it was a crazy idea MattBodega came up with way back when. Now, owing to changing circumstances, the show's various jobs have changed hands and changed method a lot since we began. At first, MattBodega did almost everything. He found topics (With TC's help), edited the show, booked guests and of course hosted...Everything. But since then, his workload has increased, so he can't really do that any more.

So TC and I took over much of the Production stuff. Editing is us, TC leads on finding Topics and I book Guests. But we haven't had particularly structured methods of preparing the show up until now, mostly owing to the fact that we have other stuff to deal with too. It's been okay, but there has been an increasing amount of feedback which (Correctly) identifies the content that is getting BSHAF-ed as coming from incresingly repetitive places, and points out that BSHAF is slightly hindered by the somewhat segregated community.

Today, I'm taking steps to change that. This post is designed to reveal the process (Which we are now formalising) behind making the BSHAF.

Topics for Discussion

Topic Picking is receiving a re-vamp. TokyoChicken, my hard-working counterpart, reads more User Blogs and Forum Topics than anyone else on Giant Bomb. I Guarantee it. Just because he hasn't left a response, doesn't mean he hasn't read it and noted it. But he is of course, just one guy. He can't possibly see everything the community does in one week.

So, we are encouraging that same community to help him out. In future, if you see a Blog Post or a Forum Topic which you think is rad, or which could lead to an interesting discussion on the show (Or a shallow, but highly entertaining, fight between the Regulars) then drop TokyoChicken a PM or e-mail your suggestion to theBSHAF@gmail.com.

Now, in the past, TokyoChicken (Occassionally with my input) has put together a raw list of 5-6 topics for discussion on the Night of the Recording and then the Regulars, in the Pre-Show Skype Call, would whittle it down to two or three. Occassionally adding in Site Business or whatnot if we felt the need. As such, final say has been entirely editorial. With this new focus on Community-picked content, future BSHAF Topic Picking will be heavily weighted in favour of Discussion Topics which have been suggested most often.

Editorial discretion (In that same Pre-Show Skype Call) will be excercised for taste or to stop people gaming the system - i.e., to prevent the same repetition of only a select few contributors we're trying to get away from.

What this means is, Bomb Should Have A Face Discussion Topics will now be based heavily on The Community Matters that The Community tell us Matter Most!

Guests & Rotating Regular

To deal with these related areas in reverse order...

Rotating Regular (This Week's Disgaeamad)

As many of you may know, Bomb Should Have A Face used to be a Four Man operation, not a Three Man operation. That was before we lost voice of my (And his) heartland Disgaeamad, whose connection issues are now legendary and can be discussed here. Since then, we have typically used the 4th seat as a second Guest Spot. Starting in Episode 19, we are using a Rotating Regulars list.

That means the following Users can now be considered a part of the Bomb Should Have A Face Team (Albeit only occassionally actively involved)

I'll sort out with them which weeks they'll be appearing on individually. If you ever want to know who will be on any upcoming episode (I usually know 2 in advance for sure and 3 on a preliminary basis), just PM or e-mail me. This list is not set in stone, we can easily add some new folks to it. So if you feel snubbed, do not be alarmed!

Guests

Up until now, BSHAF guests would PM one of us or get in touch somehow and we would try and fit them in, or else we would suddenly ask you if you could do it "tonight" or "this week". Now that's a bit of a fiasco, so I'm going to streamline matters. From now on, I will handle all guest spot booking. What this means is that if you want to appear on the show, all you have to do is PM or e-mail me any time starting from now and I will add you to the newly created Guest Pool.

Later, I will get in touch with you about a date and the logistics.

A couple of things to note here:
  1. Everyone is welcome. No user is a nobody. Bomb Should Have A Face awarded User of the Year to Everyone for a reason. We think ech and every user of Giant Bomb is interesting and worthy of getting a shot on the show. Hell, look at me! I've done virtually nothing of significance but annoy people and I'm a host! If I can do that, then you are at least twice as qualified to be a guest. So no matter who you are, if you want on, put your name down.
  2. Bomb Should Have A Face is a Skype Podcast. As such, a Skype Account is required. Additionally, you will obviously need a microphone of some sort and we cannot stress enough that you should use headphones no matter what kind of microhphone you use. If you want to be cool and call us from a PSP, you will earn mad Kudos. In fact, I'm going to make an Achievement for that.

Listener Questions

Bomb Should Have A Face is infamous for not vetting Listener Questions - to MattBodega's audible chagrin. We have no itnention of changing that policy, so we'll just remind you that questions can be PM'd to MattBodega, TokyoChicken or Myself. They can be e-mailed to theBSHAF@gamil.com or me.  And finally, we solicit questions from the Giant Bomb IRC every show night - sometimes engaging the chat in live discussions about the show and its topics (iBSHAFs).

To Conclude

This has been a look at how Bomb Should Have A Face is going to be managed in the future. But we're a Communtiy Podcast, so we love to hear from you! That means we encourage your feedback on our process as well as stuff in the community. So let us know what you think and drop us any suggestions you have for improvements!

The BSHAF Team
NameRoles
 MattBodega Creator, Host, Executive Producer
 TokyoChicken Show Runner (Topics Picker), Co-Host
 Jensonb Casting Director (Fancy way of saying Guest Booker), 2nd Co-Host, Backup Host

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

I am a rotating regular, I live to serve.....

But seriously nice little blog there to give people the scoop on BSHAF. Good work :)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I might be able to do it sometime when I'm not too busy. I'm not certain though. Nobody would want me anyway. ;)

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

That is a good post, Jensonb. I have only listened to BSHAF two times and enjoyed it, but I am glad you posted this to clear stuff up. I don't know if I would be able to be on the show, but put me down as a maybe and I will tell you when I could personally do it. Good job, guys. Keep up the hard work.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By mattbodega

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT BLOG THAT I APPROVE OF.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"I might be able to do it sometime when I'm not too busy. I'm not certain though. Nobody would want me anyway. ;)"
Indeed.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew
Endogene said:
"LordAndrew said:
"I might be able to do it sometime when I'm not too busy. I'm not certain though. Nobody would want me anyway. ;)"
Indeed."
Are you agreeing that no one what want me? Oh, it's on now! I'll show you!
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

Thankyou kindly sir.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dalai

It's like the Mr. Potato Head of podcasts... a little mix and match is always good... and I hope to be the stylish green hat if I ever get my chance.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"Endogene said:
"LordAndrew said:
Indeed."
Are you agreeing that no one what want me? Oh, it's on now! I'll show you!"
Bring it on! I'll send you one of the video Axersia send me and you will regret having started this. PUNK
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I would love to guest star on BSHAF, but I'm pretty sure it would be the least listened-to podcast in internet history.

Plus, I don't think you fools could keep up with my Southern bullshit.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

It's no secret that I want to get on BSHAF, but I'll have to check out the whole Skype "account" thing; it could be a problem. I'm also not the most liked person here, but then again people get Ann Coulter just to watch her make a fool of herself. Ratings go up, eh?

Anyway, I'm still hopeful and hopefully I might be "drafted."

Keep up the good work, peeps.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This all sounds Waaaaay more organized.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jensonb

Everyone who has expressed an interest so far has been added to the Guest Pool.

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I think all podcasts should now be recorded while playing a game of Left 4 Dead.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By brukaoru
LordAndrew said:
I'd love to hear you LordAndrew!

Sounds like BSHAF will be getting more organized now. Cheers to you guys!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
Jensonb said:
"Everyone who has expressed an interest so far has been added to the Guest Pool."
Crap!  Now I've gotta get a Skype account...and become interesting.  Oh well.  I'm sure you guys could just make fun of me for two hours and it would appease the entirety of Giant Bomb.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Cheapoz

Wow, internet.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I have half of those requirements... sadly no talent on humour though :(

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By thordain

One of these days I'll guest star and then come back out with a much darker and depressing view of humanity. Should be fun.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Systech
GobiasIndustries said:
"I think all podcasts should now be recorded while playing a game of Left 4 Dead."
I played Left 4 Dead for about half of the last episode I was on. No one could tell, though.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jensonb

There are currently 9 People in the Guest Pool (Including 3 Maybes).

The next open slot is for the BSHAF 26 Recording.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane

Sounds awesome.  If you ever need to fill a spot, you can always come to me.  I will most likely be open.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MichaelBach

Hi guys. I have listened in on some of your podcasts. I really think there is potential in it because of the cast and the concept. Here are a few observations:

1.       1. I don’t know if it is because you use Skype, but there is a tendency to talk at the same time that becomes a little messy. Maybe it would be a good idea for Matt to take a little more control of the show, leading the conversations kind of choosing who talks… structure it a bit more.

2.       2. It’s not bad going off topic, but you actually have really interesting topics that a lot of times you go way off not finishing what you were starting. Stay on topic a bit more.

3.       3. You guys are crazy, which is fun, but you do have to spread the word, so maybe just a little bit more seriousness (But don’t lose all the craziness).

These are just my personal opinions,  I know you don’t all agree. I will keep listening and I know you guys will get better.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Michael Nyboe Bach

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Tylea002

I'd love to do BSHAF if I was ever needed, and the next slot is in 2 months time, when I may have done something of note in the community (you never know), so I'd love to add my name to the list, but don't know if I'm worthy lol.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jensonb
Everyone is worthy.
deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deadly_polo
Jensonb said:
"Everyone is worthy."
yet only some can say that
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tylea002

Well if everyone is worthy, then feel free to add me to the pool, XD.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jensonb

Oh.

I...I already did

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Hmm, so it's a podcast about video games you say? Such madness hasn't been heard of for ages! >:O

Guess I'll join you guys if asked upon ;)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK

i can help you guyz with inane sound effects if u want ;)

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Disgaeamad

Now I see what you meant when you told me that BSHAF was doing great. Good job.

No Caption Provided
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LordAndrew
Disgaeamad said:
"Now I see what you meant when you told me that BSHAF was doing great. Good job.

No Caption Provided
"
Yep. It's been doing great without you. ;)
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Disgaeamad
LordAndrew said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"Now I see what you meant when you told me that BSHAF was doing great. Good job.

No Caption Provided
"
Yep. It's been doing great without you. ;)"
Well fuck, way to hurt a guy's feelings!
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LordAndrew

It's what I do. :)

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tylea002

Disgeamad doesn't have feelings, we all know he is an immortal robot.