How to handle the growing list : "currently playing"?

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Majkiboy

Lately my list of "games I'm currently playing" have been growing. Ok, there's only 10 of them, but still, that's 10 games I really wanna play through (or just play a lot and become good at) but aint got time for...
Some years ago I had a motto : not to acquire any new games before I finnished the one I was currently playing.. that motto dimminished as time went, and today.. I just wanna play a lot of cool games! 

So.. do you have any tips for me? What should I do in order to be able to handle this growing pile of unfinished games? .. 
And with the criteria of not ruining my studies or my social life :P (although my social life revolves around a lot of gaming) 

Should I try to reinsert my old motto in my present life? :S

(Just FYI, I saw different posts around the subject of having to many games to play - with questions of what games you would play first... that is not my question!)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd suggest making time to beat those games. That's what I'm doing.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

How do you play so many games concurrently? It's like reading five books at the same time. They all get muddled up.

I take a two week break from a game, I can't even remember the controls. I feel like I need to play the tutorial again. Most of the time I just delete my save and start over. I can't imagine playing over two games concurrently.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Wow, really? That's...sad. I juggle 1,000,000,000 games all the time and find it easy to get back into them after abandoning them for the hotter games, like....shit, I don't know any sexy games.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA
@Video_Game_King said:
" I'd suggest making time to beat those games. That's what I'm doing. "
In my case, money is also an issue. But I beat like six games over spring break, so that was great (I beat Mass Effect three times).
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze:   Wow, really? That's...sad. I juggle 1,000,000,000 games all the time and find it easy to get back into them after abandoning them for the hotter games, like....shit, I don't know any sexy games. "
Yeah. Ryan and Jeff mentioned a similar problem on the Bombcast when it comes to not being able to return to games after having left them for a while, so I think it's a pretty widespread issue. They were talking about how games should have a "Last Time On..." feature. The feature would apparently activate if the game detects that you've been away for more than two weeks or whatever. It would recap story, controls, and what you're supposed to be doing. I think that's an astonishingly good idea. 

But I admire you for your ability to apply yourself. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. You are the video game king. :)
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Actually, I've seen that in some games, like Shining Force III and Final Fantasy XIII. Other times, though, viewing a cutscene usually jogs my memory.

@StarFoxA:

So, you beat 4 games?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
@Video_Game_King: I beat VVVVVV, Plants vs. Zombies, PB Winterbottom, Mass Effect (three times), The Maw, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@StarFoxA: 

And on my spring break (sometimes you need a break from doing absolutely nothing as the Video Game King of a Lunar kingdom), I plan on beating....*pretends to do calculations*....a shitton of games.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarFoxA
@Video_Game_King: That's a lot.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Video_Game_King said:
Actually, I've seen that in some games, like Shining Force III and Final Fantasy XIII. Other times, though, viewing a cutscene usually jogs my memory.

That's interesting. I've never actually heard of anything like that being implemented. As I say, it should be more widespread.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StarFoxA
@ZanzibarBreeze: I'm pretty sure some of the GBA Pokémon games had that. Not sure if the DS ones do, though.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Seeing that the gap between the two games is 12 years or something, and one of them isn't even 100% what you're thinking (more of a synopsis at the end of each chapter), I doubt it'll catch on.
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kyle

I am a chronic game buyer. I can never keep myself from buying more no matter how many incomplete games I already have. While it's always a good idea to stop yourself from spending more money than is reasonable, I've also come to realize over the years that, you know what? Sometimes it's okay not to finish a game if you want to play something else. Why force yourself? Games aren't supposed to be work. They're supposed to be fun. So do what's fun: play something else.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By mathewballard

I say go after the games that will take you the least amount of time to actually complete. If you really are looking to complete games then be sure to avoid, for now, ones that are open ended. You know, sports games, MMOs, etc.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Lawrens

Should I try to reinsert my old motto in my present life? :S

Yes, just stop buying games and play the ones you have, unless they suck.
Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Majkiboy

@Kyle: Kinda thought about that too, maybe I don't even have a problem? :P  

@ZanzibarBreeze

said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze:   Wow, really? That's...sad. I juggle 1,000,000,000 games all the time and find it easy to get back into them after abandoning them for the hotter games, like....shit, I don't know any sexy games. "

Yeah. Ryan and Jeff mentioned a similar problem on the Bombcast when it comes to not being able to return to games after having left them for a while, so I think it's a pretty widespread issue. They were talking about how games should have a "Last Time On..." feature. The feature would apparently activate if the game detects that you've been away for more than two weeks or whatever. It would recap story, controls, and what you're supposed to be doing. I think that's an astonishingly good idea. 

But I admire you for your ability to apply yourself. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. You are the video game king. :) "

Oh yeah that would totally help me!  Very cool feature indeed.. but I can't really recall when they bombcasted about that, was that kinda recently? :S
Haha.. btw.. I'm currently reading like 3 books :) And with books I kinda have to jump back some pages to get into it again.
But with games.. well I guess I don't have problems with controls so much and no problems to get back into them as well.

And well... SOME games you NEEED to get! Like Starcraft 2.. Diablo 3.. although one clever point mentioned above is to kinda avoid open ending stuff... But that is for me the same as socializing with friends irl (which I do a lot :) ) So it's very hard to just end with that kind of... culture nourishingI guess.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Majkiboy said:
" I can't really recall when they bombcasted about that, was that kinda recently?"

Yeah, it was a recent episode. I'm terrible at recalling exactly what was said in which episode, though. Sorry. Maybe two or three episodes ago?
Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Majkiboy
@ZanzibarBreeze: Ty anyways ^^, I guess I listened to that one tooo late in the night :P