#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I was thinking of getting a copy of FarCry 3 on Steam with some birthday money but my machine is kind of old these days. I'm running on 4 gigs of DDR3 Ram, a Geforce 560 Ti, and an AMD Athlon 640 x4 Quad Core CPU. Does the game scale well and I'd be able to play it on this machine? Also, I run nearly all of my games at 1920x1080.

#2 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I played it on a Radeon HD 5770 with an Intel Core2 Quad and 4GB, which might be comparable. At 1600x900 medium settings I typically got about 30fps, which dipped down when driving and a few other places. Ran a lot more smoothly in closed off areas.

Playable, but hardly ideal. Save it for an upgrade, maybe?

#3 Edited by believer258 (11049 posts) -

I think you could run it well enough on low-medium settings at 720p. The first time I completed the game was at low at 1080p and, despite saying "low", it is still a really good-looking game.

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3520 posts) -

@evilnights: I'm not sure how the CPUs compare but his video card is vastly more powerful than a 5770.

It should run very well.

#5 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -
#6 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@pr1mus: I was all about ready to say "damn you, Tom's Hardware!" but you're right; I'd misread it as a 460. Embarrassing!

#7 Edited by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

I was thinking of getting a copy of FarCry 3 on Steam with some birthday money but my machine is kind of old these days. I'm running on 4 gigs of DDR3 Ram, a Geforce 560 Ti, and an AMD Athlon 640 x4 Quad Core CPU. Does the game scale well and I'd be able to play it on this machine? Also, I run nearly all of my games at 1920x1080.

Depends on what kind of settings you want to run it with. It was the game that made me decide to get another 560 ti to run in sli. With one 560 ti I had to turn off mostly everything but it was playable. With 2 I think I was able to run it maxed minus a couple things like post-processing with 50+ fps.

#8 Edited by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -

I think you could run it well enough on low-medium settings at 720p. The first time I completed the game was at low at 1080p and, despite saying "low", it is still a really good-looking game.

It's true. I find that a lot of PC games still look great on the less than ideal pre-set graphics settings.

I'm thinking you'd be pretty okay with a 560 Ti, though. I thiiiiiiink(?) that's fairly comparable to my 6870, and I played the game at 1080, about 45 fps. It fluctuated wildly, actually, but never stuttered too badly.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

I have a 560 GTX, dual monitors, 8gb ram, intel i5, and I can run it at a medium-high. But I am also using the same video card to display movies on my second screen. Im sure if I disabled my second screen i could get high settings.