How will Multidisc work in Future games (how bout Recent ones?)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I have a question about how future multidisc 360 games will be handled and also how current ones are handled today. Will they have it to where you can Install the other discs to your HDD and just streamline them from the first, making it like its not multidisc at all. or do you still need to switch the discs out even though you have them installed when you hit the end of the one disc?

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MasturbatingBear

ghost nappa!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

I beleive Lost Odyysey had each disk be essentially "seperate" games. In that if you installed Disk 2 you had to run it from Disk 2 not 1,3 or 4. 

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
@Pazy:

See, thats fucking stupid. They should make it to where the Installed discs 2, 3 and 4 can be streamed from Disc 1.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

Why's that stupid?

The reason it's on more than one disk is because they can't fit it one disk. And to install it all to your HDD would require mega space, once you've changed the disk, you don't need to change it for another good few hours, it's hardly an issue. I'd rather swap disks than have to accommodate the space and time to install it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
@Ineedaname:

But if MS releases massive HDDs (like they should) than installing multidisc games wont be a problem. and I hope games taht need to be multidisc to peserve quality go multidisc, because I dont want a borked, dumbed down version of a game on 360 because the devs wanted to keep it one disc, and they had to cut, compress, and shrink it so much that its not as good as the PS3 version.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pazy
@Ineedaname said:
" Why's that stupid?  The reason it's on more than one disk is because they can't fit it one disk. And to install it all to your HDD would require mega space, once you've changed the disk, you don't need to change it for another good few hours, it's hardly an issue. I'd rather swap disks than have to accommodate the space and time to install it. "

Though I agree with you since I have a 20gb (though its a moot point by now read 13gb) drive which after Arcade games, Saves and DLC im using I have at absolute most (and shrinking by the day) 4gb's of space. I dont think any game can install to that and even if they can the current benefit is a 9 second load time rather than a 10 second load time. If I had the space id love to the option of installing a multidisk game (especially on PS3 with the 120gb drive) and using the first disk as the key to make it a more seamless experience but it would have to be an option since they started with such small drives.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pazy
@Raven_Sword said:
" @Ineedaname: But if MS releases massive HDDs (like they should) than installing multidisc games wont be a problem. 
It will always be a problem since they release a 20gb version (and one without a HDD) and they are still in the market. If they release a larger hard drive (which they have but as a PC user it still feels small) it wont solve the issue since a developer who impliments this limits there potential markets to only system with HDD's (eliminating all Arcade/Core owners) and to those with enough free space (and for most gamers that means eliminating those with the original 20gb HDD). Though there are a lot of 60 and 120gb HDD's in the market there are also a lot of other players to consider.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword
@Pazy:

Then isnt there a chance that Multiplats in the future could be borked on 360?
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pazy
@Raven_Sword said:
" @Pazy: Then isnt there a chance that Multiplats in the future could be borked on 360? "

Theres totally a chance but most developers on multiplatform games seem to work on the easiest platform to code for (in this case the Xbox 360) and compression technology is getting better and better. As far as im aware beyond slight engine downgrades Multiplatform games havent had less content on one system over another (excluding exclusive content like Joker in Batman Archam Asylum) as of yet. 

Really I dont see it becoming much of a problem this generation (beyond say the RPG genre which is accustomed to multidisk games) unless a developer decides to release an FPS which is 60 hours long.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ineedaname

I still think you're complaining about a trivial issue.

And I'm starting to think there's an underlying theme in these topics.
No points to the person who guesses it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravensword
@Ineedaname:

Actually, the topic isnt about Multiplatform games, its about Disc space issues. I swear, the Multiplatform thing was jsut used as a point.
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ieatlions
@Raven_Sword: I don't know dont we have alot of these types of topics about how the dvd that microsoft uses is out of date and arnt alot of them started by you? or is that just me who thinks that.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ineedaname
@ieatlions said:

" @Raven_Sword: I don't know dont we have alot of these types of topics about how the dvd that microsoft uses is out of date and arnt alot of them started by you? or is that just me who thinks that. "

This is what I was getting at.
All the topics he's made seem to be against microsoft.
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ieatlions
@Ineedaname: i know i like pointing out things that are well known facts.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ineedaname
@ieatlions said:
" @Ineedaname: i know i like pointing out things that are well known facts. "
Oh he missed what I was getting at with my original point out the obvious comment, felt the need to point out the obvious that's apparently not so obvious.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By xyzygy

LMAO at this thread. Yeah, it really is a trivial thing. Look, when the disc is over, you'll be prompted to put in another disc, then the game will pick up. That's it. I actually like the concept because it makes my games feel more "epic" and just to look at Lost Odyssey, spanning 4 discs, is like something else. I can definitely see the underlying message though :P

happyfatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By happyfatman

I think it would be great if you could install a multidisc game to your hard drive, and then use only the first disc to play all the content.  I mean, you do that with multidisc PC games, why not consoles too?  For example, when I first got The Sims 2, it came on four CDs.  I installed all four discs worth of content, and then from that point onward I never even looked at discs 2-4; I only used disc 1.  Why not have the same option for a multidisc game on a console?  Just my 2 cents there.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox
@Raven_Sword said:
"

Will they have it to where you can Install the other discs to your HDD and just streamline them from the first, making it like its not multidisc at all. or do you still need to switch the discs out even though you have them installed when you hit the end of the one disc?

"
I and many others want the first option, but MS won't ever support it until all 360s are sold with a HDD (which they currently do not). Games like Rage have been built around the disc swap idea (one huge level per disc, equating to two large worlds instead of a single massive one). But most multidisc games aren't even built around such concepts and are filled up with FMV or equivalent. MGS4 could work as a multidisc game without installs, a single level game such as a GTA could not.

I have a feeling this will change before the generation is up and we will be able to install one disc and play from another, just like on the PC before DVD became the standard. I thought it was gonna happen when MS retired the pro 360, but they kept the acrade model HDD-less.