• 51 results
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm for as little HUD as possible. In fact, I am for no HUD whatsoever.

I feel like HUD's are becoming quickly outdated and having little health meters, mini maps, and ammo counts dotted all over the screen really takes a large bite out of immersion. Look at Far Cry 2, for instance. There is no HUD, literally not a single meter or map on the entire screen. It's clean, realistic, and beautiful. It lets me step further into the character's shoes and enhances the experience. I don't even like ammo counts on the screen, figure it out for yourself. You should understand what weapons have how many shots per magazine and gauge the number of shots you will have to take before you reload. I believe this is also an approach that Far Cry 2 is taking, or at least I hope so.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course. For one, RPGs do need some HUD. Because, quite frankly, it comes with the territory. The only other situation I think permits the use of a HUD is in sci-fi FPS games, where your character is wearing a helmet with a built in heads up display. I.e. Halo, Metroid Prime, Republic Commando, etc.

What do you guys think?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

I guess I would prefer HUDs, but I don't have a problem with playing games without HUDs, probably would make your gaming experience a bit more strategical, and using your ammo scarcely (if you shooting in a game).

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

HUD's are necessary in certain situations.

No HUD is great for situations that don't require a HUD.

Take Fallout 3 as an example of a game that definitely needs a HUD at all times.

Take Far Cry 2 as a perfect example of minimalist HUDs, because its HUD evolves through certain situations, providing only what's necessary and no frivolous screen-clogging.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kilzombie
Jayge said:
"HUD's are necessary in certain situations.

Take Fallout 3 as an example of a game that definitely needs a HUD at all times.

Take Far Cry 2 as a perfect example of minimalist HUDs, because its HUD evolves through certain situations, providing only what's necessary and no frivolous screen-clogging."
I agree with that.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

I like the HUDs ever since the first Metroid Prime, but i don't mind games that dont have them.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

play halo 3 with the blind skull. you'll come back running to your hud in 5 minutes

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
crunchUK said:
"play halo 3 with the blind skull. you'll come back running to your hud in 5 minutes"
Blind Skull is one of the easiest skulls there is.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jayge said:

Take Far Cry 2 as a perfect example of minimalist HUDs, because its HUD evolves through certain situations, providing only what's necessary and no frivolous screen-clogging."

It's almost as if you didn't read my original post and coincidentally used the same examples that I did! :O
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:

It's almost as if you didn't read my original post and coincidentally used the same examples that I did! :O"
No no, I read it, but I know there would be some tl;dr's (even for that short thing) so I condensed it.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK
Jayge said:
"crunchUK said:
"play halo 3 with the blind skull. you'll come back running to your hud in 5 minutes"
Blind Skull is one of the easiest skulls there is."
arrival on legendary? anyway the discussion is about hud so what sense would "play halo 3 with the iron skull" have?
mysteriousdrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mysteriousdrd

I like minimalist HUDs, with the option to turn them off, if possible. I think a game like BioShock would have benefited from a no HUD option, there were enough visuals clues to make everything besides ammo management possible.

Dead Space takes an interesting approach to HUDs, which I'll be happy to explore when I eventually get it.
Some games however, I do enjoy a ridiculously exaggerated HUD with a lot of information. Any game where you pilot Mechs, or any sort of Sci Fi vehicle should have a lot of obscure interfaces, and useless information like shield stability, accelaration, temperature and the like.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_
crunchUK said:
"Jayge said:
"crunchUK said:
arrival on legendary? anyway the discussion is about hud so what sense would "play halo 3 with the iron skull" have?"
First of all, Arrival on Legendary was cake. All I'm saying is, the HUD is not necessary for Halo 3, even if it makes it convenient.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By tokyochicken

Like everyone has said if a HUD is needed don't try to get rid of it. In a way it can ruin the atmosphere but theres ways to sorta remedy that like making the HUD fade out or something like that. I think ths HUD is okay I never really mind if its around.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Jayge said:
"crunchUK said:
"Jayge said:
"crunchUK said:
arrival on legendary? anyway the discussion is about hud so what sense would "play halo 3 with the iron skull" have?"
First of all, Arrival on Legendary was cake. All I'm saying is, the HUD is not necessary for Halo 3, even if it makes it convenient."
is that because arrival is a movie?
what are you talking about?

the blind skull just essentially takes away your hud.  it sucks major ***.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By DARKIDO07

Disappearing HUDs, they are better for HDTV's becuase you don't have to worry about them burning in on Plasmas.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"is that because arrival is a movie?

the blind skull just essentially takes away your hud.  it sucks major ***."
I think he's talking about the very beginning in Halo 3. With the Jackal snipers. In the jungle.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kmdrkul

I like the more creative ones.  Dead Space seems to instantly pop in mind, where the life meters is physically on your characters suit. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Demyx

HUDS are something I don't really worry about.
I don't care if they are there or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Non intrusive HUD would be good

Small and semi transparent.

But i dont really care too much

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kush

The less HUD I have to deal with, the better.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Black_Raven
crunchUK said:
But that's because the game was designed to have a HUD, a game without a HUD doesn't necessarily mean information like health just isn't there, it could be displayed in different ways. There are game that have no health bar that show you your heath through the way your vision is and they way you walk. In halo with the blind skull enabled it doesn't even show the cross hair and in a game with no ion sight that makes the game almost impossible to play.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crunchUK
Jayge said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"is that because arrival is a movie?

the blind skull just essentially takes away your hud.  it sucks major ***."
I think he's talking about the very beginning in Halo 3. With the Jackal snipers. In the jungle."
oh yeah i got confused XD. and to BR them without a crosshair. you literraly have to die until you get it right
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayge_
crunchUK said:
"oh yeah i got confused XD. and to BR them without a crosshair. you literraly have to die until you get it right"
It's been nearly a year since I've played it, but I remember doing pretty well with a Carbine. It was easier to approximate your shots after you fired. You should go back and try it with that.

Derailing the thread though now.

I think Dead Space and the upcoming Red Faction game both have interesting HUD ideas, as they both tell you things with meters on your backs. in Red Faction: Guerilla, it tells you how much Backpack power you have left though, not your health.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Meowayne

When done right, keeping the Screen clean of any kind of displays, icons, numbers etc. can do wonders for atmosphere, immersion and tension. It's a storytelling device that is shamefully underused. Of course there are genres and games that require on-screen displays, but every so often, games make themselves worse than they could be by adding HUDs.

As usual, the first two Silent Hill games are brilliant examples of game mechanisms done right.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Kazona

HUD for some games, no HUD for others.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aurelito

I have not an absolute authority to comment, but RPG games really need a prefect HUD, but action games are more attractive without HUDs and even health bars.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By atejas

I like HUDs. The more complex the better. Having to read and process amounts of information simultaneously keeps me interested and immersed.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By duxup
Kilzombie said:
"Jayge said:

I agree with that."
Yup, sometimes you need a hud, sometimes you do not.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I understand the argument for it spoiling realism but presonally I couldn't survive without HUD. But I think more games should provide the option to toggle HUD on and off.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KillaMaStA

im for subtle and limited HUD. I hate bright neon colored hud.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RetroIce4

I need and like my HUD as long as it isn't huge or bothers me. HUD FTW!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead

Just health, ammo counter and crosshair is enough for me, and even then, it's for the best when they're small.

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mthe1337one

agreed, Metroid Prime HUDS kick ass, especially with Corruption and "expanding" the visor to utilize widescreen televisions.  badassery.  other than that, there needs to be a clever way to make HUDS as limited as possible, as most of  you have agreed with so far.  if i recall correctly, games like Doom 3 did it right such as the machine gun and mini-gun having an ammo display right on the weapon itself....along with a couple other weapons in the game thate scape me.  and if there really NEEDS to be a health/armor gauge, it should be implemented a la. Soldier of Fortune-style.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By brukaoru

I like that more games nowadays or taking the approach of removing HUDs when not engaged in battle. When roaming around a level, the HUDs will disappear and only appear for battles. I think this is the best approach.

Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ubergeist

I like when the HUD fades in when needed. Like the weapons HUD in GTAIV.

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By John

I like my games HUDs thank you.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jayge said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:

It's almost as if you didn't read my original post and coincidentally used the same examples that I did! :O"
No no, I read it, but I know there would be some tl;dr's (even for that short thing) so I condensed it."

What does tl:dr mean?
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By MKHavoc

I prefer the HUD.  I really don't care about immersion or realism that much. That stuff usually doesn't  affect how much fun I have. I think it's a little harsh to make everyone figure out how much ammo their weapons have.  That might be intimidating for people new to games, but I'm all for giving people the option of turning it on or off.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By MKHavoc
BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:

No no, I read it, but I know there would be some tl;dr's (even for that short thing) so I condensed it."

What does tl:dr mean?"
Too long, didn't read.
Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Baconator

It's a funny thing with the HUD. There seems to be a clear trend towards "less HUD". I mean look at all the games that have a regenerating health system that only indicate your health by visual ques - for example the sides of the screen turning red, etc.

There have always been games who tried (partially) without a HUD. Silent Hill didn't have one, right? You just hobbled and dragged your leg behind you. Or am I mistaking the game for another one?

Can anyone think of other old examples of good alternatives to the classic HUD?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiggerBomb
MysteriousDrD said:
"I like minimalist HUDs, with the option to turn them off, if possible. I think a game like BioShock would have benefited from a no HUD option, there were enough visuals clues to make everything besides ammo management possible.
Dead Space takes an interesting approach to HUDs, which I'll be happy to explore when I eventually get it.
Some games however, I do enjoy a ridiculously exaggerated HUD with a lot of information. Any game where you pilot Mechs, or any sort of Sci Fi vehicle should have a lot of obscure interfaces, and useless information like shield stability, accelaration, temperature and the like.
"

Oh, of course. If a developer can think of an innovative way to present the HUD without the generic "bars," than that's great. And again, because it bears repeating, RPGs and a few other exceptions should have HUDs. Without them, the games would become chores.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Systech

I think the HUD depends on the kind of game that I'm playing. If it's a sci-fi shooter, I would prefer a HUD being very pronounced and noticeable, but if I was playing a game like Assassin's Creed, the game seems more natural without it (giving you the option to turn it off).

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BiggerBomb
systech said:
"I think the HUD depends on the kind of game that I'm playing. If it's a sci-fi shooter, I would prefer a HUD being very pronounced and noticeable, but if I was playing a game like Assassin's Creed, the game seems more natural without it (giving you the option to turn it off)."

>.>

There was an option to turn it off?
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By raven_squad

Im a fan of less HUD. Farcry 2's lack of a constant HUD is excellent. Definitely helps with immersion. I also like when a sci-fi game incorporates an ammo read-out on the weapon rather then displaying it as a typical HUD. 

Of course, Im not bothered in any way by HUDs because Im sooooo used to them. So... whatever floats the designers boat really. 
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It really depends on the game.
If it's something going for immersion or if it's a horror game, screw the hud completely.

But if it's a rpg or a fps thats not 1 hit kills, give it a hud.
And seriously, don't pull a valve.  Dress up the huds a bit.  Make them fit the game.  See FF13 if you don't understand.

And what would a space shooter be without a million useless displays on the screen?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ZenaxPure

Think I have to agree the OP's first post makes perfect sense. Just whatever fits the game, really. I will say though I am a HUGE fan of how it worked in the Metroid Prime series, was so cool. 

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#47  Edited By dsplayer1010

I don't really have a preference. 

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Warfare

Depends on the game.

JennaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JennaHaze

I  loved Red Dead Redemption because of it's limited HuD.

Cortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cortana

Assassins Creed 2, Dirt 2 and Halo 3: ODST offer an immersive experience when you turn the HUD off. I also found Operation Flashpoint to be have a great sense of immersion at it's expert setting.... but it made the game insanely hard to play and really unforgiving.

My favorite game with a limited HUD is Shadow of the Colossus. I actually wish they took out the HUD because it just showed your health and Stamina which weren't that important in the whole grand scheme of things.
edit: didn't realize this thread was so old my bad