• 81 results
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

After months of speculation and rumors, Hulu has revealed a new subscription option for its video streaming service. The newly minted Hulu Plus (making June the launch of two " Plus" based subscription services) will allow users to stream full seasons of shows on the service (as opposed to the first five episodes) as well as watch the complete back-catalogs for older shows. 

The real kicker for our video game corner of the world, however, is that Hulu Plus will finally bring the service to the PS3 and 360, allowing you to browse current television releases from your cross media dashboard (or whatever it is you kids stream from).

Finally, I can get Danny Pudi everywhere I go.

The two questions that now need to be answered about the service are
  1. How will the Plus service surface on consoles?
  2. What will console owners need gain access to the service?

360 owners know that access to the Netflix movie-streaming service requires a Xbox Live Gold account in addition to the Netflix subscription. Will Microsoft make Hulu Plus also be a gold account exclusive feature? On the other hand, would Sony allow all users to access the Hulu Plus service, or would it require PS3 owners to subscribe to the just-launched PlayStation Plus service? Hulu Plus access seems like it could very easily be a subscriber-only feature to make the service more compelling, but considering that Hulu Plus is going to charge a fee of its own, stacking up the hurdles and making it harder to access on consoles is probably a bad idea. 

It's also worth pointing out that this subscription service looks like the only way to access Hulu on consoles at all, so don't expect any to be able to use the "free" portion of Hulu on consoles. We'll have plenty of time to see how Sony and Microsoft work out their plans for the service (and find out if the Hulu Plus subscription fee is worth paying at all) when it launches on consoles sometime in the next nine months.

Update: According to Major Nelson, Hulu Plus will be a feature for Xbox Live Gold subscribers only. Thanks to GB user Zidd for the heads-up!
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

After months of speculation and rumors, Hulu has revealed a new subscription option for its video streaming service. The newly minted Hulu Plus (making June the launch of two " Plus" based subscription services) will allow users to stream full seasons of shows on the service (as opposed to the first five episodes) as well as watch the complete back-catalogs for older shows. 

The real kicker for our video game corner of the world, however, is that Hulu Plus will finally bring the service to the PS3 and 360, allowing you to browse current television releases from your cross media dashboard (or whatever it is you kids stream from).

The two questions that now need to be answered about the service are
  1. How will the Plus service surface on consoles?
  2. What will console owners need gain access to the service?

360 owners know that access to the Netflix movie-streaming service requires a Xbox Live Gold account in addition to the Netflix subscription. Will Microsoft make Hulu Plus also be a gold account exclusive feature? On the other hand, would Sony allow all users to access the Hulu Plus service, or would it require PS3 owners to subscribe to the just-launched PlayStation Plus service? Hulu Plus access seems like it could very easily be a subscriber-only feature to make the service more compelling, but considering that Hulu Plus is going to charge a fee of its own, stacking up the hurdles and making it harder to access on consoles is probably a bad idea. 

It's also worth pointing out that this subscription service looks like the only way to access Hulu on consoles at all, so don't expect any to be able to use the "free" portion of Hulu on consoles. We'll have plenty of time to see how Sony and Microsoft work out their plans for the service (and find out if the Hulu Plus subscription fee is worth paying at all) when it launches on consoles sometime in the next nine months.

Update: According to Major Nelson, Hulu Plus will be a feature for Xbox Live Gold subscribers only. Thanks to GB user Zidd for the heads-up!
Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#2  Edited By Mystyr_E

cool

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

The Hulu service better become included in PSN+, Just sayin'

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai

TO CANADA?!?!? YES?!?!?

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By PLWolf

Nice!

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By church069

My satellite TV service looks a lot more useless now.  Hopefully the subscription is reasonably priced, or else it is worthless.

Fingers Crossed.

EDIT:  Looks like the tested.com guys answered the pricing question for me.

baldus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By baldus
@TurboMan said:
" The Hulu service better become included in PSN+, Just sayin' "
PSN+ is 18 bucks for 3 months or 50/year..  Hulu Plus is 10 bucks a month.   I doubt it will be included.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I wish this stuff would come to the UK sometimes. 

Damn the BBC for sticking to it's policies and refusing to be Gold only

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By zidd

Get the ads out and/or put the shows up right after they air in my timezone. Then we can talk about paying for Hulu

claudius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By claudius

I really hope that this doesn't require a XBL Gold Account. I don't use it nearly enough for me to feel like it's worth it, and I don't have a PS3.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By valiantgrizzly

There's no chance this would come to Europe, right?

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Getting whole seasons would be great, I've been trying to catch up on Southland, but another subscription? No thanks. 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rockdalf

Cool, now I have less reason to buy cable.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#14  Edited By Mystyr_E

btw, is that last AV Club quest bugged or something? only one I need and no unlock :|

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By octaslash

Just keep in mind the service will cost 9.99 a month and still have commercials. 

I imagine they will be the same as they are now: a few 15-30 second ads. Beats the 18 minutes of adverts on network television though.

http://blog.hulu.com/2010/06/29/introducing-hulu-plus-more-wherever-more-whenever-than-ever/

chubigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chubigans

Major Nelson already confirmed that it's for Gold members only:  
" Hulu Plus will be available for US Xbox LIVE Gold Members only."
See, that's exactly what I said.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/06/29/hulu-plus-coming-to-xbox-360.aspx

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By zidd
@MattBodega: Hulu Plus is Xbox Live Gold only on 360  http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/06/29/hulu-plus-coming-to-xbox-360.aspx
Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In which Microsoft struggles even further to prove that Gold is a shitty service.

ExcessDebris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ExcessDebris

cool! i'll totally get this. I'm not even going to buy cable when I finally move into my apt

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By TheAdmin

I'm not paying 10 bucks with ads...  

Netflix is 10 bucks with 1 disc and unlimited streaming. They might not have everything for instant - but I can at least get the disc. The best part - no ads!  

For our end users, we’re offering them the most convenient way to access their favorite shows, on devices they love, in high definition, at a fair price. For our advertisers, who allow us to keep our Hulu Plus price low with the support of ad revenue ...  

So because of ads, it's ONLY 10 bucks... otherwise they would have to charge us 20 or 30 bucks a month guys.
Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zella

Now only if Hulu was available in Canada.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

I don't understand where you get "in the next nine months" from. It just says "early 2011".  The site also clearly designates the pricing structure.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
@99X said:
" I'm not paying 10 bucks with ads...  

Netflix is 10 bucks with 1 disc and unlimited streaming. They might not have everything for instant - but I can at least get the disc. The best part - no ads!  

For our end users, we’re offering them the most convenient way to access their favorite shows, on devices they love, in high definition, at a fair price. For our advertisers, who allow us to keep our Hulu Plus price low with the support of ad revenue ...  

So because of ads, it's ONLY 10 bucks... otherwise they would have to charge us 20 or 30 bucks a month guys. "
In which case you could just go out and get regular digital cable.
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Devil240Z

Hulu has almost nothing I like. maybe if it had comedy central and what ever network conan is gonna be on and G4. 

sharpcypher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sharpcypher

Between Hulu Plus and Netflix streaming, who needs cable? 

$10 Hulu  
 $9 Netflix 
 $4 XBL Gold (for 12-months - less if on sale) 
------------- 
$23 / month 

I think that's a great deal. 

As for ads, you'll get a TON more ads watching Hulu's shows on television.  Plus, cable is WAY more expensive that $10, and you STILL get ads.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By skrutop

A lot of the streaming that I do for Netflix is for TV shows.  Hulu is going to have stuff that Netflix doesn't, but the limited selection of networks isn't very promising.
 @Mystyr_E said:

" btw, is that last AV Club quest bugged or something? only one I need and no unlock :| "

Only videos count, bud.
tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tomance

I doubt I'd be paying for it with Netflix.  Would be nice if it was free for gold subscribers. 

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yzzerdd

The press release should be more honest and save themselves some words just say 
"Fuck you we want your fucking money and we want the advertisers money and Microsoft give us some money too because you want this goddamn thing gold only in your passive aggressive campaign against silver members!"

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Radar

Hulu Plus $10 monthly 
Netflix Instant Streaming $9 monthly 
XBL/PSN+ $4 monthly ($50 year sub)  

~$23 monthly 

Just to get HBO alone costs me $15 a month on top of everything else I don't watch on satellite.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By JJWeatherman
@TurboMan said:
" The Hulu service better become included in PSN+, Just sayin' "
I would seriously doubt that.
sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By sixpin

Anything that might allow me to drop my cable service down to just internet piques my interest. May be worth a try.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Oni

Still US only, huh? Rats.

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is better than Netflix's $8.99 plan. Costs more, has less content and commercials? I do see the value in current season stuff being up, but slash a few bucks off of that monthly fee and we'll talk, Hulu. Until then I'm pretty happy with Netflix.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WEGGLES

Ad supported paid service? Why not just watch tv?

m477dogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By m477dogg

Wow, another feature of gold subscriptions that will never make it to anywhere else in the world. I like live, I don't mind paying for it - but at least roll out new features for the other million plus users not in the US.  Gold is almost $70US in Australia and we don't even have the indie games section.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jos1ah

Unless they bring the free version to consoles I'm not slightly interested. Seems off that they wouldn't since it's more ad exposure and a tease to buy the Plus. 
The fact that it seems to be $10 a month WITH ads included is a laugh.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ch13696

Just to let everyone know that owns a PS3. This service will be for all users. Due to the fact when they introduced Playstation Plus, the stuff they are offering only looks like it's for games and discounts.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kevinski

Too bad it won't be available until 2011 for Xbox 360. :(

hexxagonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By hexxagonal

I hope Hulu doesn't start trying to block PlayOn now.  I only need the last episode normally and PlayOn does it juts fine to Xbox 360/PS3/Wii and I already own a license for that.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shabs
@Zella said:
" Now only if Hulu was available in Canada. "
Yeah, exactly.  I'd be first in line for this if it were coming here.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I already canceled cable TV over a year ago because of Netflix and Hulu. Looks like I will continue to have no reason to get it again!

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kevinski
@jos1ah said:
" Unless they bring the free version to consoles I'm not slightly interested. Seems off that they wouldn't since it's more ad exposure and a tease to buy the Plus. The fact that it seems to be $10 a month WITH ads included is a laugh. "
Yes, because paid television has absolutely no ads. Furthermore, paying many times more for a traditional television subscription makes so much more sense when you watch such a small percentage of what you have available to you.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IncredibleBulk92 said:
" I wish this stuff would come to the UK sometimes.  Damn the BBC for sticking to it's policies and refusing to be Gold only "
That's a shame, iPlayer was a free software from a PS3 firmware update sometime last year.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RE_Player1

great news... O WAIT I LIVE IN CANADA AND WE GET NOTHING 

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

I can get everything I would want to see on  Hulu through Netflix, and I would not have to pay to watch advertisments embedded in my videos.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Computerplayer1
@RE_Player92 said:
" great news... O WAIT I LIVE IN CANADA AND WE GET NOTHING  "
Yep. Lol are you as tired as I am of being shafted like this? We border the damn country for God sake, is it THAT much of a difference.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ocdog45

I think playstation plus has nothing to do with this hulu thing. you still pay netflix for streaming so why would that not be the case for hulu. more money in there pocket.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RE_Player1
@Computerplayer1 said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" great news... O WAIT I LIVE IN CANADA AND WE GET NOTHING  "
Yep. Lol are you as tired as I am of being shafted like this? We border the damn country for God sake, is it THAT much of a difference. "
Ya its just one big tease. Like I was going to get an iPad but I did research and some apps, like iBooks, don't work or have no content in them for Canada. :(
kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kevinski
@jos1ah said:
" Unless they bring the free version to consoles I'm not slightly interested. Seems off that they wouldn't since it's more ad exposure and a tease to buy the Plus. The fact that it seems to be $10 a month WITH ads included is a laugh. "
Regarding the point you made about sports not being available (You sent it in a PM, though, and the site seemed to think that I sent that to myself. Weird.), did you miss the E3 announcement about ESPN and Xbox Live? Sports won't be a problem.