Humble Bundle $1000 worth of audiobooks? Sounds like BS

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By frymillstrum

So they're offering 11 books and bragging that it's $1000 worth of audiobooks, which seems like an egregious overestimation. I priced 3 of them on Amazon and they were each between $15-$40. I'd say it would be a stretch if they accumulated to $300. I couldn't find some of the ones I searched for and I'm not bother going through all of the books but this seems a little dishonest...

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know how much audio books cost but for those to be worth over $1000 they would have to be almost $100 each witch doesnt make the advertising seem dishonest, it makes it seem like a lie.

Also, of course they put Fight Club behind the $10 wall.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that bundle aint so humble

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I dont know how much audio books cost but for those to be worth over $1000 they would have to be almost $100 each witch doesnt make the advertising seem dishonest, it makes it seem like a lie.

Also, of course they put Fight Club behind the $10 wall.

Actually you're wrong. It makes it seem like an untruth, if anything.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they're going by those sellers on every used Amazon item that marks up said item 1000% higher than the other sellers?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well those audiobook developers need all the help they can get.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Meh... Its worth it for "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom," by Cory Doctorow.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Well...

The Perfect Storm - $83

Strip Tease - $109

Red Rising - $109

Grave Sight - $83

That's $384 just for the first 4.

I got these numbers by clicking on the audio book images on the Humble Bundle site and then clicking the "Published by Recorded Books" link.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Could it just be a typo? They meant $100 dollars but accidentally put $1000?

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:

Well...

The Perfect Storm - $83

Strip Tease - $109

Red Rising - $109

Grave Sight - $83

I got these numbers by clicking on the audio book images on the Humble Bundle site and then clicking the "Published by Recorded Books" link.

Looks like they found the most expensive figures to quote. Red Rising is on Amazon for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rising-Pierce-Brown/dp/0345539788

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah definitely over-exaggerated on the prices, but I suppose they need to make it sound good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"YOUR BUNDLE AIN'T SO HUMBLE IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT!"

-Rocco, 2013

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Corevi

Humble bundles are garbage now, they are all bad games except for the ones that are behind a $15 wall which is usually 75% or more of the price of that game. It's become indiegala.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Humble bundles are garbage now, they are all bad games except for the ones that are behind a $15 wall which is usually 75% or more of the price of that game. It's become indiegala.

Do you remember dat bundle where the game in the bundle was behind a price wall which was higher than the cost of the game in the store (and it was the ONLY game you got as well... it only constituted a bundle because it came with artwork)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi

@yesiamaduck: Remember Humble Bundle 5 being the greatest thing ever? Amnesia, Bastion, Braid, Limbo, Lone Survivor, Psychonauts, Superbrothers EP and Super Meat Boy all for 5 bucks. If you got it before the last 3 games were added you could get all of them for 1 dollar minus Bastion.

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:

Well...

The Perfect Storm - $83

Strip Tease - $109

Red Rising - $109

Grave Sight - $83

Looks like they found the most expensive figures to quote. Red Rising is on Amazon for $30

Wo. I was not aware how crazy the audio book market is.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

"YOUR BUNDLE AIN'T SO HUMBLE IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT!"

-Rocco, 2013

thank you

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#18  Edited By Kidavenger

"Recorded Books is a library gateway, not a consumer gateway. These DRM-free audiobooks are advertised at their direct-to-library list prices and may differ in price compared to other consumer-oriented sites."

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@hamst3r said:

Well...

The Perfect Storm - $83

Strip Tease - $109

Red Rising - $109

Grave Sight - $83

I assume that "Recorded Books" is the company letting them put these in the Humble Bundle, which is why they're using those prices.

They don't just find the cheapest prices and add them up, people.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's only the weekly bundles which have tiered pricing. The straight forward ones are pretty much always how they used to be.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering what I pay for a book a month from audible, that should cost $200 max. Speaking of which I've probably maxed out my credits again...

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1000 pesos. They should correct that.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they're offering 11 books and bragging that it's $1000 worth of audiobooks, which seems like an egregious overestimation. I priced 3 of them on Amazon and they were each between $15-$40. I'd say it would be a stretch if they accumulated to $300. I couldn't find some of the ones I searched for and I'm not bother going through all of the books but this seems a little dishonest...

Audio books are crazy expensive, but lot of the books in this bundle are oldish, so you'll easily be able to find them now for less than the suggested retail price. Others might not, so it's totally reasonable for them to describe the sale based off their original prices, and $90 each seems accurate to me as a person who's listened to audio books for years.

But the real question is... why are you concerned about a promotional line for a CHARITY SALE. (I can't apply enough formatting to those words to get this point across, because people so often forget that Humble Bundle doesn't exist exclusively to give them insanely cheap deals on wonderful things.)

They're doing what they can to get as many eyes as possible checking this out, to raise money to help other people. The EFF (which among a lot of other things provides legal help to those people in oppressively censored countries who get arrested for trying to speak out and let the world know their plight) and Worldreader (who are utilizing the ease of e-books to try and eliminate illiteracy in the most impoverished parts of the world) probably aren't too bothered if the blurb might be inaccurate.