"The makers of the Oscar-winning movie Hurt Locker have joined a very lucrative ‘pay up or else’ scheme that will target tens of thousands of U.S. BitTorrent users. The massive lawsuit is expected to be filed in the coming days and if ISPs cooperate, suspected downloaders will receive a settlement letter in the weeks to come."
At the moment this seems very hypothetical: "On condition that ISPs hand over the details of the pirates ". It's still a very legitimate threat, as hundreds of people have already received torrent-based lawsuits from the U.S. Copyright Group. You know, the USCG? The guys who spam your daytime TV with "No win - no fee!" personal injury lawsuits. Yeah. Those scumbags.
Important points stolen from other websites:
- Although U.S. Copyright Group say it is their intent to sue individuals who do not pay, in reality that eventuality is impossible to maintain on any scale. Their aim will be to scare as many people as possible into paying, perhaps backed up with legal action against a tiny minority to prove a point.
- The ‘pay up or else’ scheme is not only lucrative for the rights holders, who get only 30 percent of the settlement money. The remaining 70 percent goes to the U.S Copyright Group and its anti-piracy partners.
- In March the U.S. Copyright Group sued 20,000 alleged pirates for downloading Torrents of indy movies. A user called 'BustedPirate' claims that he was named in one of U.S. Copyright Group's lawsuits and eventually settled for $2,500.
- In the UK these schemes have been highly criticized by the public, consumer organizations and politicians because of the intimidating tactics and lack of solid evidence. In the UK House of Lords they have been labeled a scam, and the lawyers operating them accused of “harassment, bullying and intrusion” and “legal blackmail.” As such, all lawsuits are apparently only being issued in the US (??)
How long before videogame pirates suffer a similar fate? This seems like a much more effective way of stopping piracy than the ridiculous DRM currently being used by Ubisoft.