• 75 results
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Cheapoz

You know what's frustrating? Is being on the internet and hearing a butt load of hype from the marketing behind the movie. Then having to wait 6-8 months for said movie to release here in Australia after it's already on DVD in the states. 

Piracy is wrong, but the studios need to start making it easier than pirating. I pay for movies on Zune Marketplace since the 360 got it down here cos it's just easier. I'll pay for content.  

Just don't hold it back for a thousand years for some stupid region idea which is defunct in the AGE OF COMPUTERS. 

Lastly, movie studios should be taking the opportunity while piracy is RELATIVELY small scale and movies still turn massive profits (how much did Avatar, Transformers 2 etc make in cinemas?) to put systems in place that are more attractive than piracy. Instead of scare mongering people out of doing it.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By apathylad

I wonder if this means pirates will stream their copyrighted material online, instead of torrenting.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I found this on some website

"As for the "settlement letters" being sent out...its all a big scam really. Suing everyone who refuses to pay would take far more money than they'd get back. A few law firms in the UK have been doing this whole settlement letter thing for years now and guess how many lawsuits they've filed? Zero. Threatening to sue someone is easy, all it takes is a piece of paper, an envelope, and a stamp. Actually suing someone on the other hand...that costs serious money and given the speed of our court system, quite probably years with no guarantee that they'd actually win. And if they lost...well that would set a precedent that would pretty much kill their scam. Not to mention the hugely negative publicity from being a big bad company and their legion of lawyers versus the poor schmuck working a 9-5 job who's kid probably downloaded it without him knowing. Yeah, I don't see a lawsuit ending well for any movie company stupid enough to actually bring one out. I'd bet good money we'll never see these lawsuits even though we'll get a dozen assurances that they're "right around the corner" or "in the process of being filed"."

Like I said, it's a bunch of crap.  If shit like this worked, it would have been done YEARS ago.  They will send out some letters and get some schmucks to pay them a few thousand bucks.  The best thing to do with one of these settlement letters is to burn it.   
Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

Arrgh, someone's after me booty, aarghh

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By jakob187
@fwylo said:
" Woa, I totally downloaded that...  But then I bought it, so that takes me out of the equation?"
This.  I never download movies or games anyways, but music - absolutely.  However, if I download it and like it, then I buy it.  I know the artists don't see more than a penny of that money, but that vote is saying "hey, I fucking like this band, so they need to make more music".  If I download it and it sucks...well, why the fuck would I bother keeping it around? 

Frankly, though...I still feel like the bands themselves should be in control of their music, marketing, and so many other things.  There is far too much hierarchy above the guys who are actually making the music. 

As for this whole thing, it's scare tactics and little more.  They could try to take someone to court, but they would need some super hardcore solid evidence to back it up.  Otherwise, they are harassing people, and it'll just be counter-sued and more than likely won by the people being "sued".
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Synthballs

Download it, Burn it, Get sued. Delete it. Use Burnt Copy.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Fallen189

Someone phoned me up when I was a kid in the UK, demanding that I owed them £200 for something. At the time, I was kind of frightened, but unable to put the phone down. I don't know why. I was about 16 at the time, and just freaked out and he kept saying they were coming to me for it, and I just said "I think you have the w-w-wrong number sorry" and put the phone down, and turned it off. That was over.

It happened again recently, when I'm a lot older. They claimed I owned over a thousand pounds for some shit I can't even remember. After leading them on for a bit, I told the guy (very deep voiced gentleman) to go fuck himself, and that his scare tactics won't work on me. I wouldn't recommend you be so brash, incase it's somehow legit, but if they were legit, it'd come in writing, and not from a "Private" phone number. The more you know!

Piracy is weird in the UK. A lot of things will literally never make it here, like a lot of Japanese/Korean/Thai movies, so I have no choice but to download it to watch it. I remember reading that "Unless it's licensed by a publisher in the UK, nobody can claim on it". Which is good, because I download the fansubs of Fullmetal Alchemist now, until funimation release the DVDs in the UK, which because I've wanted or a while, I'll finally get. Doesn't help that import taxes are so high aswell.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Mono_Listo

My opinion: while the action is going to be ultimately fruitless in the campaign against piracy, and should never have been done (you should adapt and not fight the future), I do sympathize. Piracy, regardless of the semantics of the terms involved, really is "stealing". You're acquiring a product for nothing. Are you physically taking something from the owner? No. Are you infringing on copyrights - sure. But that doesn't mean that you're not stealing it, nonetheless.  And regardless of how many avenues are available to obtain media at acceptable cost, there will always be pirates. Even if Hulu gives it away "for free".

The MPAA, et al, just needs to wake up to the new reality that their product simply isn't worth as much as it used to be.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Ghostiet

@odintal: I'm from Poland, the movie never got released in here and a bluray surfaced only recently.

I'm not defending anyone - I'm just suggesting that if you want a movie to fucking sell, you should allow people to watch it.

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Oh, and it seems they are pissed it didn't do shit in theaters.  How about you advertise the fucking film and put it out in more areas.  I didn't know what the movie was until after it won that Oscar. "
Exactly.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ryanwho

Any publicity is good publicity I guess.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By LeetBalla

Ha, eat shit and die you dirty thieves; your day has come.  

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By yyZiggurat

Guess I'm renting Hurt Locker.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Tennmuerti

This is fucking hilarious.
1. I went to see it in the cinema last weekend and honestly it is not that great, the only good part of the movie is Jeremy Renner.
2. You can encrypt your godamn torrents ffs.
3. If you a dumb enough to get intimidated by the demand to pay up, they deserve your money.
4. Only Americans are being asked to pay up, and no1 else in the world who torrented it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Al3xand3r

Overrated movie, glad so many people skipped wasting their money on it, in a period where every cent counts.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By JakJ

This, of all movies?

Really.

Makes me more tempted to download the movie, not less.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By h0lgr

Dude.. I saw this movie in 2008 in blu-ray quality.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#67  Edited By Jost1
@odintal said:
" inb4 pirating apologists.   it's a hard case to win but i wish them all the luck in the world to pull it off. "
I on the other hand think it's a retarded lawsuit and won't stop piracy at all.  I don't care for piracy at all but I care equally little about the film and recording industry who are 10 years behind the times when it comes to the possibilities of digital distribution
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#68  Edited By Astras

What about streaming, I stream alot of tv series and some movies from sites such as TV shack etc.
I guess buffering a movies of program in this way is the same as making a digital copy through downloading a true copy of it? 
I guess this is the same as stealing huh?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#69  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Oh man, this isn't gonna be pretty. I can't believe even if the USCG do win all those cases they and their friends walk away with 70% while the rights holders only get 30%.

Ravanger3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Ravanger3

If I have a 'friend' that downloaded this movie but he lives in Canada would he be safe from this lawsuit?

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Azrail

GOOD movie 10 times better than avatar

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I dont pirate so............

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Binman88 said:
" ISPs that hand over customer details will be risking a huge loss to their current and potential customer base. "
Exactly and if any of you took marketing, you would know that a business doesn't make any money from new customers. And as for this topic, I haven't watched the movie but they can go f themselves and Avatar should have won the Oscar.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Sweep said:
" @fwylo said:
" Woa, I totally downloaded that...  But then I bought it, so that takes me out of the equation?  Plus I live in Canada.  This is definitely a better way to stop piracy that DRMs though.  If it is a legitimate strategy at doing so I guess.  Is there any way to prove the person actually has it?  Sure they may attempt at downloading it or click the link and start but then change their mind.  But what if they never finished their download? Or just downloaded it then deleted it.  Or bought it, then downloaded it for the purpose of having a digital copy? "
I was under the impression that each DVD is not to be copied, backed up, or in any way duplicated or any shit like that. If you want two copies you need to buy two copies. Owning a Digital copy that you didn't buy from iTunes or something is still technically illegal. Even if you own the disk.    Don't quote me though. Can someone who knows about this please clarify? "
That's not true. You can back up anything that you own, as long as you don't sell it.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Sweep said:
" @fwylo said:
" Woa, I totally downloaded that...  But then I bought it, so that takes me out of the equation?  Plus I live in Canada.  This is definitely a better way to stop piracy that DRMs though.  If it is a legitimate strategy at doing so I guess.  Is there any way to prove the person actually has it?  Sure they may attempt at downloading it or click the link and start but then change their mind.  But what if they never finished their download? Or just downloaded it then deleted it.  Or bought it, then downloaded it for the purpose of having a digital copy? "
I was under the impression that each DVD is not to be copied, backed up, or in any way duplicated or any shit like that. If you want two copies you need to buy two copies. Owning a Digital copy that you didn't buy from iTunes or something is still technically illegal. Even if you own the disk.    Don't quote me though. Can someone who knows about this please clarify? "
That's not true. You can back up anything that you own, as long as you don't sell it. "
Exactly and I think you only thought that, because Sony is trying to change the rules, by saying that even if you own a product, you don't "technically" own it.