I am a casual gamer :|

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InTheEnd

Yes, I know, it seems rather contradictory for a so called casual to hang around a videogame site, full of dedicated gamers. Well, you see me in the wrong light if you conjure up an image of a prepubescent boy with his Wii or a middle aged mother using her DS solely for Brain Age. Yes, I the only modern console I own is indeed a Wii. But guess what I've been using it for lately? To play Gamecube games. I am, in fact, entirely apathetic of most of the Wii's library. This is evident that I own about 4 games for it, all of which I'll probably never play again.  

Then why do I identify myself as a casual gamer? It's simple really, I play videogames casually. I don't care about any of stigma attached; it sums up how I play my videogames perfectly. And you know what, I'm sure there's others like me on this site. I see videogames as light hearted entertainment, not serious enterprise. Having an Xbox with a copy of Modern Warfare 2 doesn't make you high and mighty. Chances are, a small group of PC gamers who play nothing but simulation games regard you as lowly beings. With the Wii and DS, a new market has emerged and the definition of a game has been broadened for most people. Yes, I know you want to separate yourself from those bumbling fools who flail their arms about, but guess what? There are still those who regard anyone who plays videogames as a nerd. :)

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

And the point of this is....?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

*points and laughs*

Actually reading your... thing, I find you kind of narrow minded.  A lot of people on this site play video games that they find to be fun.  We got Modern Warfare 2, not because we think we're super 1337 because we own it, but because we actually enjoy playing it and we have fun with it.  I love games such as Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Bioshock and all these popular games, and I also love games such as Phoenix Wright or Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

It's fine if you don't like these mainstream games such as Halo 3, but don't put prejudice on others who enjoy it.  Right now, it seems as if you're the one who thinks highly of yourself, and not the other way around.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

ha! you casual...ist! hah hah!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox
@InTheEnd said:

"  Having an Xbox with a copy of Modern Warfare 2 doesn't make you high and mighty. "

No, it makes you part of the mainstream gaming crowd.

@CowMuffins said:

" And the point of this is....? "

What's the point of any blog post? Stop treating it like a forum post.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bigandtasty

Playing any specific type of "hardcore" or "skillful" games doesn't get you into some elite group, and neither does refusing to play them. Just play whatever you enjoy and don't hate on anyone else for their preferences.

Nighttide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nighttide

I view people as either hardcore or casual, not games. 

For example, I own Modern Warfare 2, but I play it casually whereas a lot of people are really into it. I enjoy its multiplayer in small doses. In no way do I believe that owning a copy of Modern Warfare 2 somehow makes me superior.

As others have said, just play what you like.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

Alrighty.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Teh_Eel

Owning a 360 and a copy of mw2 still makes that person a casual gamer, or a more likely a douche.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond
@InTheEnd: You can play casual games without being a casual gamer.  I love Peggle, think Plants vs. Zombies is pretty good, love some tower defense and Mario Kart Wii...

The question I'd have for you is why you don't own or don't like games that are more typically considered 'hardcore'?  If you don't have the money for them that's one thing...  You can play 'hardcore' games with a relaxed state of mind (well, single player at least), and you don't have to play them 24 hours a day.

There's also always the matter of skill, but what really makes a 'casual gamer' to me is if they don't really care about games - maybe they'll just play a web game because it's free, or buy 1 game a year because their friends play it...
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By webby

I thought most casuals were the ones who just played MW2, Madden etc

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@MrKlorox said:
" @InTheEnd said:

"  Having an Xbox with a copy of Modern Warfare 2 doesn't make you high and mighty. "

No, it makes you part of the mainstream gaming crowd.

@CowMuffins said:

" And the point of this is....? "

What's the point of any blog post? Stop treating it like a forum post. "
In the words of the mods, if it's attached to the forums, it's a forum post.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By fuzzyponken

Man I wish this discussion would end. I instantly hate anyone who uses the terms hardcore and casual. 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

"Casual gamer" is a terrible marketing term used only by PR to create a false sense of community for idiots. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Man I sure do feel superior for spending more time on a hobby than you do.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not going to read that, after reading some of the responses. I'm just going to assume that you wear loose Hawaiian shirts and kacki shorts.