#1 Edited by bluefish (445 posts) -

It looks like, barring unforeseen roadblocks, I'll soon be managing a GameStop location.

The job IS asking people for pre-orders, trades and to buy used but I'll try (as I always have) to be as non pushy as possible and make it a place even gamers want to come shop. ie. have y'all not hate me.

Truce?

#2 Posted by Stackboy (489 posts) -

You gots to make money. Just be one of the good guys.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8725 posts) -

Hey, as long as you don't make F2P gambling mobile games, I wouldn't consider you part of the knife killing the industry.

#4 Posted by wemibelec90 (1612 posts) -

@bluefish: There are certainly people who can get it right. The manager of my local Gamestop is a great guy, and he never pushes things on people who clearly don't want them. A little bit of humor and sarcasm on the asking can also go a long way; most people know that you have to ask.

#5 Edited by InspectorFowler (25 posts) -

Half the problem with GameStop is that people expect it to be some kind of alternate version of the local comic book shop. It just can't be - it needs better numbers to survive in the retail locations it has. By default there will be a fair number of beginner employees who earn minimum wage and rotate through quickly, and those who make it to manager will likely stay there quite a while.

I just bought an Xbox One there the other day. Why? Because they offered me better prices for old gaming stuff I didn't use/want anymore, and they are roughly 98% less hassle than meeting people one at a time in weird public places to sell gaming consoles over the next two weeks. Yes, they're a pawn shop (dunno about your state, but in mine they have to operate under the same rules including logging your license and everything), but don't you pretty much know that when you walk in?

If people don't like the used games cycle, then don't go to a GameStop. If you don't like them only knocking off $5 for a used game, then don't go to a GameStop. If (unlike my local GameStop) yours manages to hire people who don't know about games, then avoid it. But for God's sake, the bullying they get is pretty silly.

Go work there guilt-free, bluefish. The day they ask you to start drugging the employee's soda with stuff that makes them receptive to hypnotic suggestions, or the day they make you beat a customer until he buys that $5-off-used copy of Infamous, you can start feeling bad. Until then, don't sweat it.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

Personally I've never had the pushy preorder guy. Ever.

#7 Edited by Marokai (2870 posts) -

@animasta: In my limited experience with Gamestop in the last couple years it feels like the individual employees have become a lot more aware of the perception of "the pushy Gamestop employee." I popped in Gamestop a few minutes from here to pick up Dark Souls a few weeks ago and the female cashier jokingly said she didn't want to "harass" me about my purchases and just handed me a pamphlet with a bunch of the essential reminders instead of playing twenty questions.

Minimal fuss.

#8 Posted by The_Nubster (2090 posts) -

@marokai said:

@animasta: In my limited experience with Gamestop in the last couple years it feels like the individual employees have become a lot more aware of the perception of "the pushy Gamestop employee." I popped in Gamestop a few minutes from here to pick up Dark Souls a few weeks ago and the female cashier jokingly said she didn't want to "harass" me about my purchases and just handed me a pamphlet with a bunch of the essential reminders instead of playing twenty questions.

Minimal fuss.

For what it's worth, the few trips I've made in there from Christmas gift cards and the like, the employees have seemed to fit in a lot more. it used to be people who were good at following a script, but I've seen a lot of parents get talked down from Bratz Horse Trainin' Camp Simulator 2000 so that they could buy their kids Nintendogs or Animal Crossing or the like. As a matter of fact, I walked in there a few weeks ago to kill time at the mall, and I heard two employees and a manager shooting the shit about different builds in Dark Souls 2. it seems to be turning itself around, but the practices of the company itself, not necessarily the employees, turn me away from there.

#9 Posted by Nightriff (4978 posts) -

I've known several cool people to work at gamestop and it is easy to do that job and not be the sterotypical asshole it has been known to be by the gaming community. Just be realistic and don't make up bullshit lies about things. Good luck.

#10 Posted by Patman99 (1573 posts) -

Just please don't push the disc insurance warranty thing. When I bought Ni No Kuni from a local EB games (which is owned by Gamestop) the clerk asked if I wanted to disc guarantee (or whatever it's called) for $2. I declined because I have never had a faulty disc. He then asked if I am sure (which I expected) assuring me that this was a "rare" game that would likely be out of stock in a few months. I declined a second time in a polite manner. He then said something along the lines of: "Well, I guess I will see in back here in a little when you re-buy the game. You're essentially spending $120 rather than $62 for this game." I was mildly offended at that point but I kept my composure and replied: "I guess I'll see you in a couple of weeks then." He then put the metaphorical cherry on top by saying "I'll see you then but I doubt we'll have any copies left."

I never went back to that store because of that experience. I know not all EB employees are like that and I have had plenty of non-pushy experiences but just don't be that guy. He lost a customer who buys quite a few games because of his pushy (and rude) attitude.

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

At least now you get to open new games and play them at home, before bringing them back and selling them as "new."

#12 Edited by SteadyingMeat (1146 posts) -

My only real problem with my local EB Games is how they never have anything in stock ever. Well, that and their insulting trade in values, but meh, they gotta make money. Employees for the most part have been okay.

#13 Posted by Slag (4229 posts) -

@bluefish:

Some things about Gamestop are less than cool (pre-order and the insurance stuff), but 90% of the employees I've met at gamestops have been gamers who just want a job with the product they love. like any chain there are good locations and $hitty ones. It's fun to go to a store just about games. I like that.

If gamestop were to disappear tomorrow I think it'd actually really hurt the industry.

#14 Posted by helvetica (83 posts) -

Most of the Gamestop chaps I've talked to have been not pushy at all, but when they're bad, they're really bad. The last time I was given a hard time was when I mentioned that I was going to buy Animal Crossing online and the guy said that that was a bad idea. I'm afraid I don't remember why, but I do remember it being some bizarro logic. But that doesn't happen that often.

Good luck with the store!

#15 Edited by Splodge (1206 posts) -

Last week, during a brief, unwanted conversation about online services like steam, origin etc, the manager of my local gamestop told me the following:

"I am fuckin telling you, Steam is going to be dead within two years. Guaranteed".

Instead of just taking my newly bought game and running as fast as possible away from the stranger danger I had to ask him how he came to this conclusion, and his response was that because of his job he had access to the REAL digital sales numbers.

As long as you don't behave like an out-patient you should be fine!

#16 Posted by CornBREDX (5051 posts) -

I haven't been into a Gamestop in years, but I don't know... I don't think they're what's killing the industry. For that matter I don't think the industry is dieing, more so just evolving.

It is crazy some of the stories I hear about Gamestop, though. Apparently it's like talking to used car sales man. Hell they could be used car salesman.

I guess, like others have said, just get people what they want. You're there to make a profit, they're there to find a game they'd be interested in. There is a middle ground there. I'm not totally convinced buying used is a detriment to the game industry- even if I have only rarely ever done it.

#17 Posted by Itwongo (1175 posts) -

Hey, man, someone's gotta do it. Better you than some unscrupulous bidge-badger.

#18 Posted by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I see GameStop as the convenient scapegoat. The greedy devs don't want to take the blame for industry woes, so the blame has to be placed on something. Congrats on your new job.

#19 Edited by Sinusoidal (1391 posts) -

GameStop - while definitely guilty of some minor, shitty practices - is hardly the bane of the industry.

The publishers on the other hand...

#20 Edited by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

Asking once isn't a big deal at all. It's the ones that hound you 4 or 5 times, asking if you're DEFINITELY REALLY SUPER ABSOLUTELY SURE FOR REALIZES that you don't want to pre-order/buy the strategy guide that bother me. That being said, I've probably had equally positive to negative experiences at gamestop.

#21 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Gamestop employees aren't as bad as the charity workers that stop you on the street. I hate those fuckers, I was walking in the middle of Oxford with my headphones in and one of them walks across my path on purpose waving at me to try and get me to sign up. They are fucking vultures and make me not want to donate to any charity ever.

Well that escalated quickly.

#22 Edited by Humanity (9028 posts) -

Normally I have no issues with GameStop but there was one time when this guy was being really obnoxious. I was picking up a Halo game that I even pre-ordered, and he kept trying to push the guide on me several times in a row. When for the 3rd or 4th time I said I don't want it he concluded with "well don't come crying back to me when you keep getting killed out there!" I mean 'cmon guy. I actually looked up the address on the receipt for customer surveys and filled it out in detail, giving his full name and everything which was surprisingly on a drop-down menu.

I think everyone starts out meaning well, but then corporate starts pushing for higher numbers and the GM has no other choice but to push his employees into acting like scumbags. If he won't, then someone else will. When I was younger and worked the shitty minimum wage circuit I knew a GameStop GM that quit after a while because it was too grating for him. On the flip side I worked under GM's that had no problem with treating people like assets. Working for chains is a miserable existence because you really have to give in to that corporate mentality and abandon all pretenses of being a decent human being if you plan to get anywhere.

#23 Posted by ripelivejam (3750 posts) -

so glad i'm on the non-retail end of my retail job now. took me long enough and i'm actually pretty happy, just wondering how long it will last, and hopefully the stuff i'm learning will translate to my next job. but hey i'm probably just being pessimistic and i'll last a while where i'm at.

enough about me.

i hardly ever shop at gamespot. ...but i have faith you'll be one of the good guys, corporate pressure or no. i kinda agree that things may be out of your control, as much as your heart's in the right place. if you can't really avoid being a shill at least counterbalance it with friendliness, good customer service, and video gamez knowledge. best of luck!

#24 Posted by SharkEthic (1042 posts) -

You'll be the person informing the consumer about his/her options as presented either by the publisher or the company you work for. Your involvement is not the problem. If you're pushy and obnoxious about it, then that'll just make you a pushy and obnoxious person.

#25 Posted by bluefish (445 posts) -

At least now you get to open new games and play them at home, before bringing them back and selling them as "new."

God I wish we could do that. That would be so friggin sweet! From the managers I know personally, you have NO idea how much money GS managers spend on games. Hint: a fucktonne

@sooty said:

Gamestop employees aren't as bad as the charity workers that stop you on the street. I hate those fuckers, I was walking in the middle of Oxford with my headphones in and one of them walks across my path on purpose waving at me to try and get me to sign up. They are fucking vultures and make me not want to donate to any charity ever.

You're a bad person.

@slag said:

@bluefish:

Some things about Gamestop are less than cool (pre-order and the insurance stuff), but 90% of the employees I've met at gamestops have been gamers who just want a job with the product they love. like any chain there are good locations and $hitty ones. It's fun to go to a store just about games. I like that.

If gamestop were to disappear tomorrow I think it'd actually really hurt the industry.

Y'know, I actually agree. I think if brick and mortar locations dissapeared it would do some serious damage to overall game exposure. Whether that completely balances out the 'damage' of the used game industry is a discussion for another time but overall I think we help.

I also think pre-orders are rad. They are a $5, no obligation, completely refundable deposit that nets you extra stuff and a guaranteed copy. It also allows the company to know what demand is going to be so they don't under or over buy product. There is literally no downside. ...unless you're talking about splintering of content to retailers for exclusive bonus stuff. I agree that might be irritating but I'm far from a completionist so I kinda let it slide.

Hey, as long as you don't make F2P gambling mobile games, I wouldn't consider you part of the knife killing the industry.

OMG I LOOOOOOVE FTP!!!

kidding

#26 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@bluefish said:

@sooty said:

You're a bad person.

Why? They harass people by waiting outside the train station and then purposely walk in front of you even if you're on the phone or have headphones on.

Really annoying people, a lot of people here hate them. I guess it must be working if charities keep on doing this practice but for me I don't think charities should be behaving this way.

I remember specifically one of them stopped me, I said I have an exam and must get my bus, I go to walk around her and she steps in front saying it'll only take a moment to sign up and continues to push, most of them don't know when to stop. I believe they've been banned in quite a lot of places now.

#27 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5376 posts) -

Well, good luck.

#28 Posted by Qblivion (58 posts) -

Most gamestop clerks seem like pushy jerks because they are poor salesmen.

#29 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

I didn't stop going to Gamestop because for the employees. Hell, I'm largely sympathetic to them. I understand that they are just doing their job, and while there are more tactful ways to go about it than others, I don't begrudge them asking me if I want to pre-order or ensure a disk because those are large sources of revenue for the company.

I stopped because I went to get a used copy of Silent Hill 3 and got a ratty, literally chewed up generic case with a disc so damage that I couldn't progress more than 20 minutes into the game. I returned it and ordered it off of Amazon, and I got a pristine case and disc and even got the soundtrack too.

The last time I was even in a Gamestop was when my girlfriend bought me Revengence for my birthday. And even then, the cashier was generally pleasant and asked her if she wanted to by it used instead because the game was real short, and did so in a manner that wasn't transparently slimy. He seemed like he was trying to look out for us (we bought it new anyway because I want to give Platinum their due).

#30 Edited by bluefish (445 posts) -

@sooty said:

@bluefish said:

@sooty said:

You're a bad person.

Why? They harass people by waiting outside the train station and then purposely walk in front of you even if you're on the phone or have headphones on.

Really annoying people, a lot of people here hate them. I guess it must be working if charities keep on doing this practice but for me I don't think charities should be behaving this way.

I remember specifically one of them stopped me, I said I have an exam and must get my bus, I go to walk around her and she steps in front saying it'll only take a moment to sign up and continues to push, most of them don't know when to stop. I believe they've been banned in quite a lot of places now.

I was kidding. :)

#31 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Good luck to you.

#32 Posted by Slag (4229 posts) -

@bluefish said:

@slag said:

@bluefish:

Y'know, I actually agree. I think if brick and mortar locations dissapeared it would do some serious damage to overall game exposure. Whether that completely balances out the 'damage' of the used game industry is a discussion for another time but overall I think we help.

I also think pre-orders are rad. They are a $5, no obligation, completely refundable deposit that nets you extra stuff and a guaranteed copy. It also allows the company to know what demand is going to be so they don't under or over buy product. There is literally no downside. ...unless you're talking about splintering of content to retailers for exclusive bonus stuff. I agree that might be irritating but I'm far from a completionist so I kinda let it slide.

I don't think Used game business hurts new game sales at all. The few academic studies I've read suggest that the presence of a reliable secondary market actually increases New game sales by low double digit percentages. The reason this happens is it gives the new game buyer some protection in case the game sucks, which makes them more willingly to take risks. Plus they tend to plow the money they raise by reselling them into another New Game purchase. Also the New Game purchaser and Used game purchasers tend to be amazingly completely different markets so they aren't cannibalizing each other.

I suspect though that would not be true at all if New Games were market priced instead of price fixed. Too many New Games are priced too high, especially new IPs.

Steam Sales are excellent proof that show many games will be much more profitable if they can be sold at market based and variable pricing.

I think the main benefit of brick and mortar for the game industry though is selling hardware, creating, maintaining and growing that initial install base.

On pre-orders I disagree, I think retailers and publisher get obvious benefits but at the expense of consumers. Pre-ordering encourages consumers to purchase without proper prior knowledge or a proper satisfaction guarantee.

#33 Posted by chilipeppersman (1158 posts) -
#34 Edited by Lanechanger (458 posts) -

I thought this would be something worse, congrats on the soon to be manager role!

#35 Posted by CByrne (193 posts) -

Congrats on the promotion!

The only thing I hate about game stores is that I'm always being lied too... I asked if they have a vertical stand for a new console I own and they told me that consoles aren't designed to be vertical and how it's going to damage it and blah blah blah... But I mean in every advertisement it's shown vertical with the stand that I want to give you this $20 bill for... Ugh.

#36 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

As long as you are one of the good ones have at it. Despite the universal hate EB Games gets there's one near by that has always treated me well. It's all about having the right people behind the counter and knowing who to push that stuff on and who not to. I make it pretty clear up front that I'm not the guy to bug about pre-orders and all that junk and they never do.

Plus, the last time I went they did me a solid and kept their only copies of a bunch of Pokemon games behind a counter for me while I checked out local pawn shops to see if they had them there for cheaper. I ended up coming back and buying them all but one. The lady at the cash register was super nice.

Maybe this is something you can answer for me, but have they changed their hiring practices recently? When I used to go in there regularly 5-6 years ago there were a lot of guys working. Every time I have gone into one in the last 2-3 years I have only seen pretty young girls working at the register. I literally never see guys working at these places any more, and all the girls working are very attractive.