#1 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5159 posts) -

So I recently picked Dark Souls up again after a year or so absence (just a little burnt out after 200 hours in October 2011), and had several existing characters; 2 in the middle of low vit/stam challenge runs. The patch would have crippled those challenge runs so I went and fought Ornstein and Smough with a heavy weapon melee character with 11 vit/stamina (deprived starting stats); and deduced I could probably beat Gwyn after beating him with a 10 vit/stamina 99 int sorceror (beat four kings in two kings, even) so I decided to finally update.

The DLC actually reduced in price stunningly enough so I was able to upgrade and made a new character for that express purpose; said character is a bit too underpowered to beat Artorias in a timely fashion since I just bumrushed to the DLC as fast as possible (could do it just would take a lot of pine resin or some leveling) so I started using the Sorceress again to do it a bit faster, however people insisted on invading me and I realized how amusing it is to 1-2 shot people with 99 int; in addition to invaders you've got dozens of dueling signs littering the undead burg; each giving a neat sum of 20-25k souls. I'll probably die about 10% of the time and it's 2-3 minutes per phantom so while this isn't as good as the now debunk dark Anor Londo farming spot (12k souls every 35-40 seconds) it's not too bad either. Though the opposition can one shot me I do have the longest range melee weapon in the Moonlight Butterfly Horn (which does 100% magic damage) and of course sorceries do a comical amount of damage.

The amount of skill involved here is scarce at best, though this is standard with 90-95% of Souls encounters; but hey a nice way to farm souls and up the all important KD ratio, and much more interesting than just murdering all the "PvE" content. Sadly my Hollow Soldier Shield lost about 10 stability and I don't have an upgraded Eagle primed and ready to replace it. I suppose I am going to have to play most of the game with the new character; as nothing beats being SL 105 with 99 int.

You can move this to the Dark Souls forum if you like, though I view this site as a gargantuan mega forum and just press the forums button and browse; if you want the isolated forum feature to matter then don't allow that (granted no one would ever look at 99% of the boards that way, but it does emphasize certain forums).

#2 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

The patch would have crippled those challenge runs so I went and fought Ornstein and Smough with a heavy weapon melee character with 11 vit/stamina (deprived starting stats); and deduced I could probably beat Gwyn after beating him with a 10 vit/stamina 99 int sorceror (beat four kings in two kings, even) so I decided to finally update.

I started Dark Souls the other day and put in some time already (rung the bell tower and beat some guy name Havel and that butterfly monster) and I still have no idea what you wrote there.

So the rest of your post is gibberish to me. What are you even saying I don't know. Maybe in a few days I'll edit this and answer your question?

(I'm enjoying the game but the lack of information is a bit much at times: It took me hours to figure out there was a run button, and a "slide down ladders" button too....Maybe DS2 will be better in that way)

#3 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

Erm. Why 99 int? Also how are you Pvping people who don't know how to dodge sorcery lol?

#4 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

The thing that beats 99 int is avoiding the first set of cast spells then breathing on you. Or shoot an arrow at your head from somewhere you can't see the aggressor.

Not going to say Sorcery is bad. It's not. Dark Magic is still broken as all shit. But what makes Dark Souls PvP enjoyable is there's always a counter to something. You just have to be clever about it.

#5 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

The patch would have crippled those challenge runs so I went and fought Ornstein and Smough with a heavy weapon melee character with 11 vit/stamina (deprived starting stats); and deduced I could probably beat Gwyn after beating him with a 10 vit/stamina 99 int sorceror (beat four kings in two kings, even) so I decided to finally update.

I started Dark Souls the other day and put in some time already (rung the bell tower and beat some guy name Havel and that butterfly monster) and I still have no idea what you wrote there.

So the rest of your post is gibberish to me. What are you even saying I don't know. Maybe in a few days I'll edit this and answer your question?

(I'm enjoying the game but the lack of information is a bit much at times: It took me hours to figure out there was a run button, and a "slide down ladders" button too....Maybe DS2 will be better in that way)

He has cleverly crafted his own post to be as mysterious and befuddling as the game he is referring to. When delving into the words, without dictionary or guide, one discover the deeper meaning and enjoy the experience to the fullest.

#6 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5159 posts) -

@mcghee said:

He has cleverly crafted his own post to be as mysterious and befuddling as the game he is referring to. When delving into the words, without dictionary or guide, one discover the deeper meaning and enjoy the experience to the fullest.

Read my post without a guide if you're a real man! Also watch out for the cavernous rifts on either side; they're dangerous! After a trip to New Londo (which is a huge pain in the ass with 10 vit mind, but pretty easy with a normal character) I upgraded my Iaito so it no longer does a miniscule amount of damage to Arty, and he went down in fairly short order; great boss though on par with Gwyn and Flamelurker; sort of wish he hit maybe a tad harder but I guess that's the tradeoff with his buff. Loving the DLC, seems to be better than even Boletarian Palace.

@haffy: Challenge run, only thing I could buff was Int/Attunement. I just sit on top of wherever they spawn with Crystal Homing Soul Mass, if that lands all I have to do is poke them a few times with the spear (which has like double the range of any other melee weapon); one dude spawned, rolled out of the way and off a ledge; good times. Another dude spawned, got hit, ran to try to use a humanity so I poked him, then he ran some more through the fire bomb alley alcove and around the side, I stopped and tossed a crystal soul spear; which hit him as he was about to walk up the stairs toward Taurus and out of sight. I'll eventually go pick up Dark Sorc spells and then I don't really have to worry about people dodging either. If I get a dodge/lag hero of wonders then all I have to do is treat them like they're Gwyn pre-Parry ubiquitousness and slowly back up for the whole fight, occasionally poking with the spear.

Every once in a while lag'll get me since it doesn't take much to kill me. It's not strictly a PvP toon just wound up being the most effective since gimmicky builds or lazy builds are the best (high vit/stamina/2 hander/fog ring back in October/stamina recovery), creativity is not rewarded nor utilized in Dark Souls pvp; though I've had eh like 3-4 good fights out of 200ish (the most memorable on one of the narrow bridges in the Kiln of the First Flame), obviously none of those involving the Sorceress. Since I don't have any vit or stamina I don't have to use the lameass Favor and Protection ring and I'm presently sporting a +6 maiden's armor set since I don't want to use cheesy armor either (bonus points for style). But hey at least I didn't cop out and make a Lightning Zweihander/Black Knight Greataxe/Mask of the Father/Havel Armor/Grass Crest/Fog Ring build back in the day; so terrible.