#1 Edited by OsheaDiesStupid (165 posts) -

I am really worried that GTA 5 won't be Giant Bomb's G(ame) O(f) T(he) Y(ear).

They're probably gonna pick Bioshock over it, because Ken Levine is so smart and will time the DLC just right.

The Giantbomb crew seems to be enjoying GTA5 with reservations, and I am so worried that their jadedness will hurt this phenomenal game in the awards podcast.

Edit: This being said, I think that Bioshock Infinite was amazing and I loved it. Last of Us was ok for me, but a bit derivative. I did not like the gameplay in it either. I think just for the hype vs final product ratio: GTA5 no doubt.

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3813 posts) -

I am more sad that The Last Of Us will probably get ignored but hey....

#3 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

Why are you worried?

It's fine if they don't pick the game you like man. Get past that and you'll be in a better place.

My GOTY last year was Max Payne 3 and wasn't even mentioned. Didn't bother me.

#4 Edited by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -

There are a lot of fantastic games that have been released this year, and BioShock Infinite is a totally valid choice for GotY. If anything, I'm more concerned that none of them have played enough of Last of Us to even consider it, and I don't think anyone aside from Patrick is even going to glance at Fire Emblem.

...totally not worth being worried or fearful about. Different people have different opinions.

#5 Posted by joshwent (2056 posts) -

You need more to be terrified of.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11647 posts) -

Well, it's their opinion.

Although, chances are that there will be a community GOTY where you can vote for your personal favourite games...

#7 Posted by wjb (1626 posts) -

(shrug)

#8 Edited by believer258 (11565 posts) -

They're not going to pick Fire Emblem Awakening, so we already know they're going to pick the wrong game.

That aside, I don't feel like GTA V is the Game of the Year when it's got a few gameplay problems. Planes aside, it's especially clunky in tight corridors and slow. It gives no environmental indications on where to go a la Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3. Some of its missions are pretty boring (ahem, the crane mission). One user pointed out that almost every mission ends in a gunfight, like Rockstar couldn't figure out how to generate excitement from something, anything else. Apparently the heists aren't anything more than a longer set of interconnected missions where you pick up the materials and hire a few people.

GTA V is a great game and probably deserves to be on the list but it isn't quite number 1 material.

#9 Posted by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -

They're not going to pick Fire Emblem Awakening, so we already know they're going to pick the wrong game.

Yeah, it's a damn shame that Fire Emblem probably won't even be in the discussion.

#10 Edited by Dalai (6980 posts) -

Who gets terrified over relatively trivial stuff like this? Plus, the year isn't quite over yet. There are a few November games that can be in the running.

#11 Edited by OsheaDiesStupid (165 posts) -

@dalai: Yes, you're right. I bet CoD: Ghosts will be pretty awesome. Probably GOTY.

#12 Edited by Abendlaender (2735 posts) -

This will go down as the biggest travesty in the history of mankind.

@dalai said:

Who gets terrified over relatively trivial stuff like this? Plus, the year isn't quite over yet. There are a few November games that can be in the running.

I honestly can't think of many great games that still come out this year. (I don't really care about BF4 and CoD so I tend to forget them + I don't think we will see them in GBs Top Ten). There is Watch_Dogs and.....what? Batman? AC IV? What else IS coming out? I seriously can't think of anything else big

#13 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

Its actually like Hunger Games now that you mention it. Bioshock Infinite is gonna salt The Last of Us' eyes by the way.. Sad..

Brothers wins by planting a trip-bomb near the food supply.

#14 Edited by RonGalaxy (2843 posts) -

@jimmyfenix Vinny. Patrick, Rorie, Drew, and (I think) Alex all beat it. Brad will, probably, play it before then (he likes ND) and Jeff will probably write it off. But if fucking syndicate can make it in the top ten for 2012 when only jeff and alex (alex not liking it that much) I think The Last of Us has a good shot. I do not think GTAV deserves it though! Honestly, it will probably go to Infinite, which also doesnt deserve it.

#15 Edited by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

Of the good AAA games so far this year, Bioshock is probably my favorite so I'd be ok with them giving it to that. There's been a few indie games though that will top my list (Brothers, Gunpoint, Swapper).

Edit:@naru_joe93: What does deserve it in your opinion then?

#16 Posted by dobschutz (54 posts) -

dark souls should win.

#19 Posted by UlquioKani (1018 posts) -

I think you are giving their game of the year choices more importance in your life than even they do. Step back a little.

#20 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -

There's no reason for anybody to get upset over whether a certain game gets GOTY or not. Whatever they choose won't be to everybody's taste, so don't worry about.

#21 Edited by RonGalaxy (2843 posts) -

@skytylz said:

Of the good AAA games so far this year, Bioshock is probably my favorite so I'd be ok with them giving it to that. There's been a few indie games though that will top my list (Brothers, Gunpoint, Swapper).

Edit:@naru_joe93: What does deserve it in your opinion then?

Im honestly not sure; this year was way weirder than I expected it to be. Out of the games I played, The Last of Us, Papers Please, and The Swapper are the only games I completely adored. Not sure if any of those deserve it either (maybe the last of us, but that's like a million and one shot at this point). The only games I can recall any of them being entirely enthusiastic about was brothers and dota 2 from Brad. Jeff gave 5's to both Infinite and V and seemed SO unenthused when talking about either of them.

Honestly, if it went to infinite, that would be fine. I loved everything about it besides the gameplay and size of the world. Earlier trailers showed a huge, multileveled world with massive amounts of variability. It turned out to be a decent FPS with great writing and a cool setting. That letdown of promise is why I came away disappointed.

#22 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (462 posts) -

I'm betting The Last of Us will unfortunately get the short end of the stick, probably my personal GOTY. GTA will probably be high on the list, not sure about the number 1 spot though.

#23 Posted by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

hey dont count out the new super luigio brothers game

#24 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

I'm sad that gta 5 is going to be on the list at all.

#25 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (580 posts) -

The Last Of Us won't get Giant Bomb game of the year because none of the guys on the crew other than Patrick loved it. I loved Bioshock Infinite so I wouldn't mind if that won, I think that prob has the best shot at Giant Bomb's GOTY.

And echoing other statements, shame they don't seem to pay too much attention to handheld because Fire Emblem: Awakening is easily game of the year material. Its better than X-COM which is a similar game that won their GOTY last year.

#26 Posted by joshwent (2056 posts) -

Its better than X-COM which is a similar game that won their GOTY last year.

Although one of the big reasons they loved X-COM is because it has a lot of depth without being daunting to learn. I haven't played it so I can't really talk, but Fire Emblem seems like its systems can get pretty complex without a lot of explanation.

#27 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

I'm very emotionally invested in if the GB crew choses the same GOTY as me too.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

This is not a cause for worry. If they don't feel that GTAV is worthy of being named the best game of the year, then they shouldn't name it as such.

#29 Posted by The_Vein (270 posts) -

@osheadiesstupid: Last of Us was a better game than GTAV, but I'm pretty sure none of the GB dudes other than Vinny are going to play it to completion.

#30 Posted by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

I don't think there's any game so far this year they all liked without any reservations. For example there's nothing even close to the reactions they had to Mass Effect 2 which they were all in love with pretty much all year long.

#31 Posted by beeftothetaco (419 posts) -

So what?

#32 Posted by EveretteScott (1444 posts) -

@dalai: Yes, you're right. I bet CoD: Ghosts will be pretty awesome. Probably GOTY.

Not really sure if you're serious now.

#33 Posted by Poppy_Persona (150 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: Yeah that game came out at a bad time for the gb guys. I don't think they felt like playing such a depressing game at that point. They are missing out though...i would love their perspectives on it.

#34 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

Well, they're not gonna choose Europa Universalis 4 so who caressssssss

#35 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

@osheadiesstupid said:

Not really sure if you're serious now.

I'm pretty certain this is all a joke.

We all know Brothers will be Giant Bomb's GOTY.

#36 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

I seriously cannot believe someone would actually care so much about this.

#37 Edited by RonGalaxy (2843 posts) -

I dont think posting, barely, a paragraph on a gaming site forum constitutes as someone caring about it so much

#38 Posted by LoveSpuds (113 posts) -

To be honest, at this stage I have very little respect for most of the crew's opinions on what makes a good game which is why I love the quick looks rather than reviews. I can now watch cool guys play games, have a giggle while they do it and then make my own mind up. Jeff and Brad in particular seem very jaded about most games these days and the way The Last of Us was just passed off left a bad taste in my mouth.

I love the Bomb crew for just being cool guys who love games but I have very different ideas than they do on what makes a good game. I just finished GTA5 tonight at around 89% completion and have to say, I adored it, for me its in the top 5 for game of the year for sure but for me it still didn't meet The Last of Us' lofty heights.

I would almost go as far as to say that at least some of the crew should give The Last of Us a fair crack of the whip if they want to have their opinions taken seriously, it was a very important game if nothing more for the showing how powerful and emotive a story can truly be.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

I dont think posting, barely, a paragraph on a gaming site forum constitutes as someone caring about it so much

Saying that he's terrified and that he's so worried about GTAV makes me think otherwise.

#40 Posted by Jayzilla (2554 posts) -

Blak Flag isnt even out yet. The duders adore that franchise. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons deserves attn. too.

#41 Posted by Morningstar (2128 posts) -

Why do you care? They never pick the games I love, and I'm not bothered one bit. It's all about their tastes anyway, and I love listening in on their discussions all the same.

#42 Posted by RonGalaxy (2843 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

@fluxwavez said:

Saying that he's terrified and that he's so worried about GTAV makes me think otherwise.

Typing doesnt take that much effort, and I doubt he's losing sleep over it.

#43 Edited by leebmx (2198 posts) -

I'm terrified that there are people who need validation from internet celebrities so badly. If you love GTA loads great, so do I. Its probably my GOTY so far, but I won't be stressing if its not Giant Bomb's.

You know they are going to pick Brothers anyway.

What also terrifies me is how hard the internet makes it to tell the nutters from the pisstakers.

#44 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

This is dumb and I'm dumb for wasting time replying to this thread.

#45 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

OK, here's what will happen:

• Brad will whine about DMC and bump it up to 5th place totally ignoring the superior MGR:R, while agreeing with Patrick on Gone Home and Brothers
  • Jeff will pimp SR4 even though it doesn't even deserve to be in 30th place, but will most likely go with GTA5.
  • Patrick will force Gone Home and crap on Dragon's Crown(unjustly)
  • Vinny will try and be as just as possible
  • Alex will drown in his own snark
  • Drew will...Wait, no Halo game this year. iRacing it is then
  • Rorie will choose CoD: Ghost Dog because of puppies

All I really want is something as good or better than last year's presentation. Which was amazing.

#46 Edited by AsherV20 (65 posts) -

M.U.G.E.N. is gonna take GOTY

#47 Edited by mrfluke (5049 posts) -

i bet gone home and brothers are going to be heavy contenders for GB GOTY. which meh.

but whatever, its their choice,

GTA 5 is my personal goty so far.and im willing to bet its going to be GOTY for a good majority of individuals as well.

#48 Posted by planetary (341 posts) -

Because, dogs.

#49 Posted by Wraxend (550 posts) -

The Last of Us is clearly, in my eyes, GOTY so far. As for the bombcrew not getting around to playing it I think they get a pass as we all know they weren't in a good place at the time and I think it carries those memories with it.

#50 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -

What they eventually pick is irrelevant. The fun part is listening to them trying to not strangle each other.