I can only buy one this year: Far Cry 4 or Dragon Age: Inquisition?

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Poll I can only buy one this year: Far Cry 4 or Dragon Age: Inquisition? (128 votes)

Far Cry 4 40%
Dragon Age: Inquisition 66%

So my gaming budget is somewhat limited being as I am paying for grown up things now (like a mortgage), so right now my main games I'm getting this year for PS4 are Destiny and Assassin's Creed: Unity. I do have enough room left in the budget to get one more new title this year and honestly, I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide which one to get.

I've narrowed it down to Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I love RPGs and really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, but was somewhat let down by Dragon Age II. What I've seen so far of DA:I is very intruiging and I know it will likely give me a lot of gameplay time bang for my buck, but I'm a bit wary after DAII. I don't really have any RPG fix on PS4 yet though.

Far Cry 3 was my GOTY in 2012 so more of the same with some enhancements and tweaks sounds awesome, but I wonder if I may get my shooter fix from Destiny and can wait to scale the Himalayas.

I will own both games eventually, but I just cannot afford to buy them both new. I'm looking for any opinions the community may have or any extra info they may know on either of these titles that I might not be aware of. Thanks.

• 
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By stonyman65

Far Cry 4. I'm not even a Far Cry guy and I want to get it, so to someone who likes the series like you, it's a sure bet.

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would wait for both games to come out and read reviews. Each is a sequel in a series that have had less than stellar games before and could be very hit or miss.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would say dragon age.i love far cry 3 and its one of my fave games ever,but far cry 4 just seems like more far cry.there isnt anything mindblowingly new,so i would say wait to buy far cry 4 and buy dragon age.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It can't hurt to wait. Given EA's track record, I would not be surprised if Inquisition had some issues, but at the same time Far Cry 4 might be a little too similar to Far Cry 3. Hold off until the reviews hit.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

In my completely biased opinion you should go for Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Dragon Age doesn't look like anything special. Far Cry could be really promising.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@bollard said:

Dragon Age doesn't look like anything special. Far Cry could be really promising.

I feel the exact opposite, haha. Dragon Age could be really cool and all gameplay has looked really promising so far, whereas Far Cry 4 doesn't seem all that different from 3 to me.

The real answer is to just be patient and wait for both to come out, then make a more informed decision.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Whilst I'd prefer to say Far Cry 4, hopefully Dragon Age might give you a more satisfying playtime in length over Far Cry 4.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

In my consideration there hasn't been enough time since the last Far Cry to justify a new entry in the series, or at least, to justify a great deal of anticipation for it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Farcry 4 looks really boring. Dragon Age no doubt.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RonGalaxy

There are way too many threads like this popping up recently; where people ask "which of these games that aren't released yet should I get?". It's bordering on levels of spammyness

My personal recommendation is to always wait until something is out before you even consider buying it. Not just to make sure it's good, but to ensure they function properly because, unfortunately, in this day and age games are more prone to game breaking bugs/server bullcrap/whatever. It's the consequence of games getting harder and harder to make and more and more people getting their hands on a single game during development.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By glots

I had again forgot that Far Cry 4 is coming just in a "few" months, not sometime late next year. I'll definetly dip my toes into that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Far Cry 4.

bacon420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait for reviews and if they are good I'll buy both games during the winter sales. What I have seen so far I'm leaning towards Dragon Age.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Personally, I'd wait for both be out and see which one people gravitate to. Both have the potential to be really good, but then again, the last entries in both series left me feeling kind of "meh."

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If I had to make the choice, it would be simple:

Far Cry 3 was really good, if a little rote.

Dragon Age 2 was a tired piece of money-grabbing shit that copy-pasted its content all over the place and turned its back on its entire genre by morphing into an action game with shitty junior-high-school-quality romance bits.

I'd buy the one that has a most recent history of being good.

Personally, I *am* buying both -- but only because there's fuck all else to play these days with these dry release schedules heading into 2015. If the landscape were otherwise, I'd skip Dragon Age entirely.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you feel you must get one at launch I would get Far Cry 4. Dragon Age will always be there and no doubt will go on sale during the Black Friday shopping weekend

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

A lot of opinions with most leaning towards Dragon Age: Inquisiton. I hear a lot of you saying "wait and see the reviews" and that is valid. It is likely the most sensible and logical course. I just kinda wanted to get a feel of what the community here was leaning towards. Thanks to all who voted and expressed their opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IF Dragon Age is good, then it will probably take more hours of your time until you can get Far Cry 4. But both are good options in my opinion at least.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I'm having the same debate as you OP. I will get both in the end but DA:I has that certain something about it that makes me want it first. When RPGs are great they're... you know.. what games are all about. For me anyways.

Even FC4 at it's ultimate best can't transcend "being a shooter" for me. It's just a super awesome fun shooter with bizarre visuals in places.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I prefer fantasy and RPG games to shooters, so for me it would be DA:I

But they both look like games I'm eventually going to get

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Dragon Age betrayed us all with its horrendous sequel, don't let Bioware commit this kind of crime against you again with Inquisition.

Far Cry 4 is practically guaranteed to be a great time, as were all the previous entries (yes, even 2). Get it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I feel like Far Cry 4 is less interesting by virtue of the fact that it's almost certainly a known quantity. You can already guess how it will play, that the villain will be crazy and that you will move from icon to icon on the map, killing people and taking over outposts. I have zero idea if DA Inquisition will be great or not, but it seems like it's going for ambition if nothing else.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not wait until they're both out and see what the reviews are like? Since you enjoyed Far Cry 3 as much as you did, Far Cry 4 may be the better option since it looks to be the same game but in a different environment.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly shocked Dragon Age is winning the poll so far. Far Cry 4 is just the type of dumb nonsense I'd expect to be popular with the GB community. For the record, I voted for Far Cry 4. I played Dragon Age Origins and have no interest in going back to that world. Not saying it was a bad game. I just think the world, characters and lore were very generic.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonage seems pretty interesting. Could bioware return to form? Or is it more garbage? I dunno, but i want to play it to find out for myself.

Far Cry 4 just seems like more farcry. It'll be a fun singleplayer campaign. Cool, but meh.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no reason to trust Bioware right now so Far Cry 4. I really hope DA:I is great but they've burned me twice already.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

Since you're someone on a budget I would then imagine value may factor into your purchases? Though while they're both undoubtedly going to be beefy games, Inquisition is looking like it's going to be massive, and that's without taking all of the character and class options into consideration for replay value.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should wait and see how things play out.

Raych56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely wait and see if they're any good. if you don't have enough money to spend without regretting it, wait until you have enough information to make a good choice.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder which one he bought

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, for a second there I thought they had announced Far Cry 4 Blood Dragon. Bummer.

javi645

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By javi645

If you are low on budged, just get a game on a low budget site. this one for example: bit.ly/1tp2J1h . There are enough low budget sites if you want to buy a new game.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I vote for Dragon Age as a fan of both those franchises.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

play through far cry 3 because you can probably get it or blood dragon cheap. if you like it, far cry 4 is more of that. and make your decision based on that or dragon age lol

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played like 1 hour of Far Cry 4 and I'm seriously regretting it. The game is fine, but I guess I too-recently finished Far Cry 3 and am just totally bored of that experience. I am not interested in the story at all, either. Looks really nice.

A lot of opinions with best aptitude appear Dragon Age: Inquisiton. I apprehend a lot of you adage "wait and see the reviews" and that is valid. It is acceptable the best alive and analytic course. I aloof kinda capital to get a feel of what the association actuality was aptitude towards. Thanks to all who voted and bidding their opinion.

Internet serious business

I don't.... what? Post of the year.

I wish I'd purchased Inquisition instead, if only for the different gaming experience. Now I gotta wait for a price drop...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

This is a 3 month old thread? I wonder which one you wound up buying dude. In case this still needs answering:

This seems like an easy one. I would say Dragon Age: Inquisition because you note budget as a reason. You'll get more hours out of playing Inquisition normally once than you do out of 100%-ting FarCry 4.

For what it's worth, I am really enjoying FarCry 4 though. It's much better than I thought it would be.