I challenge you to find a weirder intro to a game.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I watched G4 a bunch when I was younger, and there was an episode of Cinematech that showed trailers/gameplay from various Japanese games, from Katamari (well before anyone knew what Katamari was) to Yoshinoya. One of the videos I remember being the weirdest thing I had ever seen (I had not seen an Alexandro Jodorowsky movie at that point). After much searching, I found the video. The game is Akudaikan 2: Mousou for the PS2, which, shockingly, is not in the database.

After watching it for the first time in years, it's just as weird as when I first saw it. Can any of you find a weirder intro to a game, Japanese or otherwise? I really got nothing.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm gonna have to decline that challenge, I don't think I could find anything quite like, well, whatever this is.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's just like one of my Japanese animes.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omg. That was amazing. If they made a feature-length video with just footage like that, it would probably be my favorite movie.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I clicked on this with the intention of linking the Inca opening. But with every ten seconds of watching that video, I grew less and less confident in my intentions.

You, sir or madam, have the world beat. In this, you have the world beat.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wow, that was truly weird.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I looked up the gameplay video, and it's not any less incomprehensible than that intro. It looks like a Japanese Dungeon Keeper with combat and sometimes FMV cutscenes?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The opening scenes of MGS4 aren't quite as insane, but they're pretty damn close.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This is a video game intro? It seems more like one of those adult swim bumpers they play past 1AM.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soldierg654342

Does Tokyo Crash Mobs have an intro? Because if it does, it's probably the weirdest thing ever made by humans.

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Ninja Style?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I clicked on this with the intention of linking the Inca opening. But with every ten seconds of watching that video, I grew less and less confident in my intentions.

You, sir or madam, have the world beat. In this, you have the world beat.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I might be alone on this...but I think Katamari Damancy's intro is weirder.

Loading Video...

...Or maybe I'm just a spiteful human being and I don't want to be the only one with that song stuck in my head.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Ok, I'm convinced. This is the weirdest one ever.

Wow, just wow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That ninja looks like my old psychology professor.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Pepsiman

There are a lot of Japan-only PS1 games that could probably compete, especially a handful from Human, but I decided to look into that game because of course and the Japanese Wikipedia page makes it sound like a Deception clone, kinda sorta? My translation of the premise below:

In Akudaikan, players take the role of an eponymous akudaikan[basically a Japanese term for a corrupt lord of a fiefdom] as they face off against heroic characters [from famous historical fiction plays] such as Toyama no Kin-san and Mito Komon.

Using the money earned through bribes from corrupt merchants, players can do things such as lay down traps and hire bodyguards in an attempt to get back against the good guys. As bodyguards and the akudaikan himself have a hard time warding off their enemies with just weapons, trap laying is an important facet of gameplay, as each trap has unique properties that must be considered and can also be used to trigger combos. Akudaikan is as such often considered to be akin to Tecmo's Deception series.

In-between each stage, Kihee Senbonmatsu appears in live-action cutscenes as the akudaikan himself, which in turn give off the impression that the series is meant to be a parody of period theater. However, there are a lot of inconsistencies between the characters that appear, the items that they use, and the time period that they're ostensibly inhabiting; likewise, the period-appropriate signage that appears serves little more purpose than to help establish the overall tone and worldview of the series. Additionally, Senbonmatsu himself actually has qualifications to work as an architect, making the architecture forgery scandal that occurred after the game's release a humorous footnote in the context of the game in and of itself.

Andy Yamamoto was a planner and producer for the game. His prominent involvement in development as an American garnered him some notoriety during the game's heyday.

There's a little more about random production notes, but that's the major stuff. Now I kinda just wanna try this series out for myself since it all seems to be the right sort of insanity I can go for. So, thanks for that, OP!

In exchange, here's an intro from one of those Human games I mentioned earlier. It's more funny if you know about enka as a music genre and dekotora as a Japanese car subculture, but I'm sure it has its appeal on its own merits without that knowledge:

Loading Video...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

It's fun, but it really isn't much crazier than any of the Katamari intros. It certainly doesn't out-weird any of the flashback story stuff in We Heart Katamari.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth trailer that came out a few weeks ago was pretty weird. I'm aware that trailers are not intros.

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge of the sunfish ? That is weird !

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Man, that intro OP posted makes the Battle Arena Toshinden 2 intro look soooo diesel!

Loading Video...

also, that's totally Garrett from Mega64 portraying Sofia, right?

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

.... OK, challenge not accepted. I can't beat that.

Elsric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Elsric

Huh, that was quite entertaining. I've got one that's not quite as weird, but hopefully no less entertaining: The story mode intro to BCV: Battle Construction Vechiles (for the PS2).

Loading Video...

I have no idea on why I got this...

Edit:Whoops, turns out there's an intro to the game specifically, rather than the story mode, I forgot about this.

Loading Video...

Also, I should mention that this game is quite bad...

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hrmrmmrmrmrmrm .... yes this is a game.

Loading Video...

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found this topic at 5 in the morning. What a way to wake up awesome.