#1 Posted by camp7203 (120 posts) -

Seriously, the amount of obtrusive ads on IGN's site is downright offensive. Is hammering the individual with ads the only way digital media can survive? It makes me sick. That is all.

#2 Posted by EndlessObsidian (477 posts) -

We are getting enough spam from bots here on the GB forums lately. We don't need this as well.

#3 Posted by laserbolts (5372 posts) -

Giantbomb is pretty bad too. It's the Internet and ads need to exist to keep sites going. Complaining about ads at this point is a little redundant.

#4 Posted by camp7203 (120 posts) -

I just try to avoid ads if possible. GB is much better at handling ads than many other media sites. Many youtube channels are now trying to monetize their videos by putting a commercial beforehand (we all have seen this). Oddly enough, you could easily search Iphone  and see a commercial for HP, or microsoft before the thing starts. The ad isn't even consistent with the content. That's not even factoring in how little the individual is seeing money-wise.

#5 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

How else are they supposed to make a living? Can't do pure pay wall because everyone thinks everything on the internet should be free all the time. Selling shirts and merchandise can only help so much and donating can't keep a bunch of people employed. What else is there?

Edit: The only solution to me is to find an elegant middle ground for all of those things. Non intrusive ads, pay wall for premium content, and merchandise that people may actually want.

#6 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

i go out of my way to avoid ads. i dont go to sites that have alot of them and whenever one pops up on youtube i hit mute and flip the page till it's done.i usually even keep a book or my vita near me while watching tv.when the commercials start i hit mute and read. i REFUSE to watch commercials of any kind. i know they help pay for the shit i enjoy but i dont care. they are loud,annoying and often stupid and pointless.

#7 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Why do we need to complain about this when ad-blockers exist?

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

The Escapist's ads are also terrible.

#9 Posted by MonetaryDread (2183 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Why do we need to complain about this when ad-blockers exist?

This. If you don't enjoy ads then don't let them load up.

#10 Posted by kadash299 (282 posts) -

Adblock.

#11 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

They're just ads. If you haven't learned how to ignore ads on the internet by now, I really don't think the advertisers are the ones with the problem.

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

That's why Jesus, Vishnu and Buddha invented the adblocker plug in. Use it and stop living in the 90's.

#13 Posted by Rafaelfc (1471 posts) -

the only ads that annoy the shit out of me are the ones up on Twitch.tv which I only go to watch live streaming content, which I miss 30 seconds consistently every time I need to refresh the page because of a stupid ad... ugh

#14 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

The difference if that sites used to be able to pick and choose which ads they allowed. So no auto-play movies or obnoxious site skins. Times are hard now though so you take whatever you can get and the ad buyers know they have the advantage.

#15 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@Rafaelfc: Just use adblock

Or buy a subscription if you really like the streamer.

#16 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

It's 2012, people. If you aren't aware of and using some kind of adblock extension on your browser you are straight-up dumb.

#17 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

I don't know ign is not all that bad heck giant bomb has increased ads almost just a much as other such sites as ign. The yellow Evo phone ad on here a few weeks back was pretty bad. I will say i hate those scrolling splash ads you must click out that rarely pop up on ign and other heavy media sites. In the end adblock is a life saver and as long as you keep the ads in the background and out of the article i'm reading i'm cool.

#18 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

It's 2012, people. If you aren't aware of and using some kind of adblock extension on your browser you are straight-up dumb.

I don't have one, probably because I just don't give enough of a fuck.

#19 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

@camp7203 said:

Seriously, the amount of obtrusive ads on IGN's site is downright offensive. Is hammering the individual with ads the only way digital media can survive? It makes me sick. That is all.

Sorry bud but I believe you're mistaken. You're not posting on the IGN forums.

#20 Posted by Djnuttty (139 posts) -

Idiot. This is the gamespot forums.

#21 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

Seriously, I'm not trying to be rude, but why are you complaining about IGN here on Giantbomb? And about ssomething as trivial as ads no less.

Surely, we're beyond that at this point.

#22 Edited by runnah555 (146 posts) -

Goddamit Joe, I am not going to watch your shitty show no matter how sexy your stare is!

#23 Edited by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

Get an ad blocker add on for your browser. You're welcome.

#24 Edited by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

Everytime someone mentions annoying ads I'm baffled. How can it be that people exist that don't know about adblock? I can understand that my 65 year old dad doesn't know about this cause he probably thinks his PC runs on fairydust but in Forums about videogames? Seriously? I'm shocked