Posted by Halomaste19 (140 posts) -

I have tried so MANY times to play Pokémon. When I was younger, I tried to play Gold, but never could. My brother fell in love with the game. I remember seeing all the Pokémon he had caught, level-uped and named. It was impressive, but when ever I tried I found that I was forcing myself just to get through the opening moments.

Why? I really don't understand what part of my brain has decided to make me dislike Pokémon. The games look like so much fun. I love the idea of a world filled with weird and exotic creatures. Towns to explore, people to meet and Pokémon to fight. It all sounds so exciting and interesting.

But then I try to play...well any of the games and all I find is a game that I just can not get into. Sometimes its the opening moments, where you are usually told to go here and talk to this dude to then listen to him tell you to talk to this person who will give you this thing so you can get....

By that point I have shut off Pokémon and moved on.

Then sometimes it's the fact that I feel like I need to grind. Here, look- bushes. Every-time you enter you will fight a random monster. EVERY-TIME. For some reason my brain seems to take that as a clear hint that I need to grind. So as I move through the game I keep seeing bushes..I keep grinding and I find my self losing interest. That is not Pokémon's fault, that's my brain doing that to me.

Still, after a while I just lose any real desire to play and move on.

Sometimes I start to have fun. I catch a neat looking creature and I'm just enjoying my day. Then I walk a bunch and oh, well can't go that way till I get a certain item or Pokémon. It's cool, I'll just walk this way for awhile...oh..I need something to go this way....Well, what ever I'll just go this way and ....oh.

I know that none of the puzzles in Pokémon are really that challenging. More or less they amount to a way to keep you on the right path when it comes to Pokémon and items, etc. But my brain, well it just does not want any of that and after going the wrong way 4 times then having to walk through that damn area FILLED with bushes and one-way-down cliffs I put Pokémon down and move on.

I have yet to tried Black and White 1/2 or X/Y - so things might have changed...maybe my brain will let me play finally. I really hope so. The improved 3D graphics of X/Y might help, but really I never had an issue with the art style or presentation of Pokemon. After thinking about it for a long time, I still don't understand what my brain hates about Pokémon.

I guess, sadly, I will never have a chance to catch 'em all..

#1 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

Almost none of this sounds very specific to Pokemon. It sounds like you don't like RPGs.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
It's because of this fucking thing, isn't it?

#3 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2414 posts) -

Almost none of this sounds very specific to Pokemon. It sounds like you don't like RPGs.

This was my reaction is well. It sounds to me like you don't have the patience for these kind of games.

#4 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

@video_game_king: my liege, what is that terrifying monstrosity?

Also, I enjoyed playing Blue when I was a kid, but an RPG will only hold me if there is a good story and characters. Pokemon is only cool mechanics - everything else is pretty thin.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#6 Edited by Aegon (5654 posts) -

You have what is called the no patience syndrome.

#7 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -
#8 Edited by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

When I was kindergarten, all my friends had GameBoy Colors with Pokemon Gold, and I felt really left out being the only person without. I said to my dad "Dad, I would like a GameBoy Color and a copy of Pokemon Gold", to which he replied "Okay". We got into his dark green truck, drove to the Circuit City and took a brief gander at the GameBoy aisle, whereupon my dad have a terse "nope" after looking at the prices. I left empty handed. It was at this point that I decided I hated Pokemon and everyone who played it, and I vowed that I would rather die than be forced to play one of the vile handheld RPGs.

#9 Posted by John1912 (1890 posts) -

Ive tried them...They suck. Shallow RPGs, spam battles, little plot. Maybe If I had been young enough to watch the shows, but I think even if I was they would have been to kiddy for me. Other then feeding a loot, grinding itch I really dont see the appeal at all.

#10 Edited by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

Dude, Repels. They are available almost from the get-go in almost every Pokémon game. And there's isn't really the need to grind, as long as you finish every you encounter you get yourself into. This latest pair of games, X and Y, take it to a minimum, since they reintroduce the old-school Exp. Share that gives half of the experience points to the entire party. My team is at level ~30 and I still haven't beaten the second gym.

But, yeah. It sounds like you don't enjoy RPGs in general, and specifically JRPG. Tough luck if you wanted to play Pokémon, but you have your personal tastes that don't necessarily have to match that of the rest of the world.

#11 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

I loved Blue as a kid, and I think I actually have it on my favorite games of all time list, but I just can't get into one today. The idea that they arbitrarily split each entry into two games, making full completion (an essential part of these experiences) impossible without double the purchase kind of disgusts me now.

#12 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@john1912 said:

Ive tried them...They suck. Shallow RPGs, spam battles, little plot. Maybe If I had been young enough to watch the shows, but I think even if I was they would have been to kiddy for me. Other then feeding a loot, grinding itch I really dont see the appeal at all.

Google EV training and IV calculators and tell me Pokemon is shallow. The stories aren't the best, but it's exploring the world that makes the game fun... so many hidden areas and weird people.

#13 Posted by Juzie (168 posts) -
@john1912 said:

The end game is where it's at, you should rush through the game with repels and try some end game battling/exploring/training and you will see a whole different side of pokemon. Sadly the singleplayer is indeed ridden with braindead AI and a terrible storyline. But once you get passed that - the combat imo is the best combat in any RPG when vsing other players who play strategically and properly build their teams.

I know some people will get mad at me for saying this but the story mode side of the game is really just for the kids.

#14 Posted by Flappy (2272 posts) -

@juzie said:
@john1912 said:

The end game is where it's at, you should rush through the game with repels and try some end game battling/exploring/training and you will see a whole different side of pokemon. Sadly the singleplayer is indeed ridden with braindead AI and a terrible storyline. But once you get passed that - the combat imo is the best combat in any RPG when vsing other players who play strategically and properly build their teams.

I know some people will get mad at me for saying this but the story mode side of the game is really just for the kids.

I feel that everyone should move through the game at their own pace. Were it not for the GB League that's going on, I would've spent a lot of time futzing around the 5th-6th gym portion of the game; most of my time was spent breeding Pokemon and trading with other people.

As far as the main storyline goes, it's easy to forget that this is still a series aimed at small children. As nice as it'd be for GameFreak to throw together a great story and pair it together with quality gameplay, they can't ignore the kids. I, like many other people, pop in every once in a while for the nostalgia; the breeding and competitive scenes are just the cherry on top.

#15 Posted by Juzie (168 posts) -

Yeah I never complained that the story is poor. I just think adults (who aren't enjoying it) should try rushing through it and trying end game before they just wave the franchise off as shallow and boring. I get that some adults enjoy the story and singleplayer for nostalgia reasons (I do too, to a degree. But I get bored half way through each game). But it's most definitely made for the kids without really any kind of nods to the adults (talking to the strange NPCs and what not isn't apart of the story). Especially this gen.

#16 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@flappy said:

@juzie said:
@john1912 said:

I feel that everyone should move through the game at their own pace. Were it not for the GB League that's going on, I would've spent a lot of time futzing around the 5th-6th gym portion of the game; most of my time was spent breeding Pokemon and trading with other people.

As far as the main storyline goes, it's easy to forget that this is still a series aimed at small children. As nice as it'd be for GameFreak to throw together a great story and pair it together with quality gameplay, they can't ignore the kids. I, like many other people, pop in every once in a while for the nostalgia; the breeding and competitive scenes are just the cherry on top.

They make it so hard to forget! Those god awful scenes where your friends and rivals stand around saying how great it is to go on this journey together (Where the fuck are you 90% of the time!?) and the relentless "Friends stick together! We show our Pokemon love! Let's all work with each other!" shit was almost unbearable this time around.

The thing is I was young(ish) when Pokemon Red came out and it didn't have this shit. It had a tower filled with dead Pokemon! Pokemon Gold had Team Rocket cutting the fucking tails off Slowpoke's to sell them on the black market! This is said explicity.

All the positive reinforcement is such shit. I never bought into it when I was young... I think kids are smarter than we give them credit for. I love Pokemon X/Y it will NOT teach life lessons to kids in any capcity.

I remember a university teacher once saying to the class kids, like adults, deserve entertainment so don't force your morals down their throat. I think Game Freak need to learn this.

#17 Edited by Flappy (2272 posts) -

@juzie: I see where you're coming from. I managed to pick up on a number of references to the older games in the series, but for the most part, the story was very similar to what you'd expect from a Pokemon game. If/when the third title comes out, it'll probably have some gameplay tweaks along with a better story/postgame content.

Overall, I'm impressed with what they did with these games. Sure, the main antagonists were pretty bad, but it did a good job recapturing some of the charm that might've been lost in previous entries.

@pandabear: Those scenes are pretty fucked. I'm all for a little optimism, but this game is chock full of the sort of things you'd see on an after-school special. It was pretty cheesy, but to be honest, I've already repressed a lot of the main storyline. I just hope that they reel it back in for the next game.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just some young trainer that throws two Pokemon into a daycare, wait until they have kids, then bike back and forth until their eggs hatch in my pants.

#18 Edited by Halomaste19 (140 posts) -

@pandabear: Nah, love me some Mass Effect to FF. I also loved me some SWKOTOR 1 and I'm looking forward to Stick of Truth and that avatar thing that Sir Ricard Garriot is doing. I think it might be a lack of a really deep story, cuz if I going to put 20+ hours into something I want a deep fun/sad whatever story..

#19 Posted by Halomaste19 (140 posts) -

@aegon: Well, I guess all those hours playing Zelda games, KoToR, etc and crappy Genesis platformers were just a fever dream...

#20 Edited by AMyggen (3126 posts) -

I loved Blue/Red when those came out, but have never really gone back to the series after that (I've tried a few times, but I never stuck with it long). I think the problem for me is that when it comes to RPGs, I'm more of a story guy than a mechanics guy. Pokemon is all about the mechanics and the end game, the story is an afterthought (I guess some people might like the typical Pokemon story, but I find it shallow and just an excuse for the mechanics of the game). My favourite games of all time are the best Infinity Engine games, and I love those because of the one two punch of great story and fantastic mechanics. Without a story, I'm out.

I can totally see what people get out of the Pokemon series though.

#21 Edited by Petiew (1350 posts) -

The thing is I was young(ish) when Pokemon Red came out and it didn't have this shit. It had a tower filled with dead Pokemon! Pokemon Gold had Team Rocket cutting the fucking tails off Slowpoke's to sell them on the black market! This is said explicity.

You're being really selective here. Every pokemon game has had the lame "The love you have shown for your pokemon is amazing TRAINER. I can feel your compassion for this lvl 100 Charizard and these HM slaves you brought along. Kindness is the key!"

Besides, the bad guy in the new games is going to kill all pokemon so he can become immortal or some stupid shit, that's worse than cutting off some tails that grow back.

#22 Posted by Budwyzer (586 posts) -

I see a lot of "Just rush through it and get to the end". I'm playing Black2 right now and stuck at this gym where the guy just uses Bulldoze, every turn, and it's super effective against everything I have, requiring that I just run around in the big bushes outside of town so I can grind my way team up to be able to beat him.

I generally play for 30 minutes, save, fly over to the gym, lose, then find my DS in the couch a month later and decide to spend another 30 minutes grinding some xp. That's why I hate pokemon.

#23 Posted by Halomaste19 (140 posts) -
#24 Edited by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@petiew said:

@pandabear said:

You're being really selective here. Every pokemon game has had the lame "The love you have shown for your pokemon is amazing TRAINER. I can feel your compassion for this lvl 100 Charizard and these HM slaves you brought along. Kindness is the key!"

Besides, the bad guy in the new games is going to kill all pokemon so he can become immortal or some stupid shit, that's worse than cutting off some tails that grow back.

Haha ... HM slaves. Yeah ok fair point. But honestly I don't mind the Pokemon stories ... they have a quick setup, a story that you actually have an impact on and a proper conclusion. And the end of Gold/Silver where you face Red was an excellent prologue. Honestly, I've struggled with shit stories in bigger home console games (Bulletstorm springs to mind.. fuck that game's story pissed me off) but I've always felt Pokemon stories are about on par with the TV show. Which to me is more than good enough.

@halomaste19 If it's a deep story on par with Mass Effect you're after I don't know why you'd ever expect that from Pokemon. I don't think RPGs need great stories to be great games... 60% of the Final Fantasy games don't stand up to any sort of scrutiny really. I'd take a great game over a good story any day of the week.

#25 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I don't like Pokemon games because you aren't allowed to cook and eat any of the Pokemon. Fucking fascists!

It's because of this fucking thing, isn't it?

Gardevoir is like the Boner Fairy and the Regret Fairy all rolled into one. Thanks, Rule 34!

#26 Edited by Bollard (5597 posts) -

I hate JRPGs and yet I love Pokemon. I have no idea why.

#27 Posted by Tireyo (6420 posts) -

I liked Pokemon at one time (when it first came out with the games and trading cards), but then I just lost interest overtime.

#28 Posted by Halomaste19 (140 posts) -

@pandabear: I agree good gameplay trumps anything else. But the problem is that I don't find Pokemon that fun gameplay wise, so I was saying maybe if it had a more engaging story that would help..

Im not going into a Pokemon game expecting some grand story.

#29 Posted by DarkShaper (1337 posts) -
#30 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@pandabear: I agree good gameplay trumps anything else. But the problem is that I don't find Pokemon that fun gameplay wise, so I was saying maybe if it had a more engaging story that would help..

Im not going into a Pokemon game expecting some grand story.

Fair enough. I just beat the Elite Four last night (end boss stuff)... I turned off EXP share early in the game and I was pretty heavily outgunned ... it took three attempts, a lot of moveset adjustments, I had to grow a few Leppa Berries and trade in PokeMiles online to get more Max Revives ... long story short, the final battle came down to my last remaining Pokemon landing a miracle shot to end win the match. It's those kind of close battles where you just scrape through that I love.

I genuinely believe the breeding, EV training, IV stats, hidden abilities and moveset selection push Pokemon in the realms of being one of those "deep" RPGs.

I won't convince you to like it of course, but there is a hell of game hidden in there.

#31 Posted by Halomaste19 (140 posts) -

@pandabear: Im not asking for you to convince me to like it. This was more a piece asking, why I don't like it. I wish I did, what you just said there sounded pretty interesting, but alas Pokemon is just not my thing.

And thats fine. I rather games be so diverse that some are just not my thing, then all games be the same.