• 94 results
#1 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

How can anyone dislike Yoshi's Island (snes)?!

I know that Jeff has a dislike for many things...but Yoshis Island?!

Am i alone in feeling shocked?

#2 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -
#3 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

Fuck that game. They had the gall, the audacity to call that Super Mario World 2? It was nothing close to the masterpiece that Super Mario World is.

It has a nice color scheme going for it, but the mechanics are not fun, the crying baby needs to shut the fuck up, and no one wants to play as yoshi. That game is overrated and a piece of trash.

#4 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

It was never originally Super mario world 2, but rather Super Mario:Yoshis Island.

The best spinoff in the series.

Besides, Super Mario Bros 2 wasnt really the same as OG Mario but was awesome, weird and pretty much a spinoff.

#5 Edited by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

I've never played a snes or any games that ever came out on it, I don't even think I've ever seen a snes in person, absolutely everyone In my part of town had genesis, the local rental places didn't even rent snes games, it was all Sega around here.

#6 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

I never really got into it either, so I'm kind of with Jeff. I've tried playing it, I just don't enjoy it very much. And the insult to admittedly minor injury is the "Super Mario World 2" labeling, so if that is part of Jeff's argument, word.

#7 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

"Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" - That is a awesome level.

#8 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

touch fuzzy

get dizzy

#9 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5432 posts) -

Fuck Jeff Gerstmann. :{)

#10 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

I'm a big fan, though I'm not surprised to hear that Jeff isn't (I don't listen to the Bombcast, so I don't know exactly what was said).

I love the art style, I think the level design was pretty great, and it's got some great, catchy music. It was a super charming, unabashedly child-like (in a good way) game released at a time when the industry was starting to "mature". Yeah, it was pretty easy, the baby noise is annoying, and it shouldn't have been called Mario World 2, but I've got a big soft spot for it. I've been meaning to replay it recently!

#11 Posted by pyrodactyl (1975 posts) -

meh, it was ok

#13 Edited by Bollard (5441 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Fuck that game. They had the gall, the audacity to call that Super Mario World 2? It was nothing close to the masterpiece that Super Mario World is.

It has a nice color scheme going for it, but the mechanics are not fun, the crying baby needs to shut the fuck up, and no one wants to play as yoshi. That game is overrated and a piece of trash.

What this man said.

But I thought the art was horrible too. And calling that shit SMW2? Disgusting.

#14 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

If you don't know what to say, why say anything?

#15 Posted by NeoCalypso (159 posts) -

Every time he makes more of his opinions known it makes it seem more and more likely that Jeff hates a large majority of all video games.

#16 Edited by LackingSaint (1789 posts) -

Jeff's crazy, BUT HE'S ALSO RIGHT!

#17 Posted by Vortextk (419 posts) -

Game rocks. I enjoyed Patrick's responses.

#18 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Agreed :)

#19 Posted by Marokai (2900 posts) -

I enjoy when there's real disagreement like that on the Bombcast. It's healthy.

#20 Posted by Rafaelfc (1332 posts) -

I completely agree with Jeff, ever since that game was new I thought it looked / sounded / played like utter crap.

Game is terrible, straight up.

#21 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3857 posts) -

I have never played it you guys. Or Link to the Past.

*puts on helmet*

#22 Edited by Hailinel (24417 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Hey, now. Super Mario Bros. 2 (or at least, the North American version) was nothing like the Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan got, but it was a damn fun game on its own. And I'd argue better than the "real" SMB2.

#23 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

@chavtheworld said:

@thehbk said:

What this man said.

Are you guys capable of expressing an opinion without resorting to such ridiculous hyperbole? If you don't like it, fine, that's a valid opinion, but it's not "trash" or "shit". Come on.

#24 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, seriously? I thought those people only existed in myth.

#25 Edited by bonbolapti (1611 posts) -

It's an okay game, but it's far from being shocked about.

#26 Edited by Turambar (6739 posts) -

Jeff hating something should not be something to be shocked about. I operate under the assumption he hates all things unless he states otherwise.

#27 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I never really been fond of Yoshi's Island either until I saw speed runs and Trihex playing it.

#28 Posted by geirr (2532 posts) -

I didn't like the game either, hate is a strong word though, it's not like it caused me pain in any way.

#29 Edited by Zeik (2368 posts) -

@chavtheworld said:

@thehbk said:

What this man said.

Are you guys capable of expressing an opinion without resorting to such ridiculous hyperbole? If you don't like it, fine, that's a valid opinion, but it's not "trash" or "shit". Come on.

It's the internet, everything is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, there is no middle ground.

#30 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

I cant help but wonder if he is mistaking Yoshis Island for Yoshis Story.

Being that Yoshis Story starts with the mildly annoying high pitched theme and forgoes stylised characters for 3d versions.

Fingers crossed Patrick and Jeff actually do a joint bombastica together! :)

#31 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Calling it "Super Mario World 2" outside of Japan was purely done by the marketing forces at the time, it shouldnt be used as vitriol against the developers or the game itself.

By all accounts its a prequel/side-story anyway.

#32 Posted by mrcraggle (1910 posts) -

Yoshi's Island is great.

Yoshi's Story on the other hand can go fuck itself.

#33 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1767 posts) -

I remember being very upset at the time that Yoshi's Island wasn't a true sequel to Super Mario World.

I still finished that sucker, and somewhat enjoyed it, because I spent my own hard earned $60 on it. (Which is what, $100 with inflation today? Plus, I was like 12, which makes it like the equivalent of $1,000 adult.) Still pissed they slapped the SMW2 logo on it.

#34 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

But it wasnt Super Mario World 2!

It got the prefix added when it was brought to the west :(

#35 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

So now Jeff hates both Super Metroid and Yoshis Island!

Childhood ruined...

#36 Posted by Slag (4258 posts) -

Shows you the power of a title.

I really think it wouldn't have such a bad rap, if it weren't for the Super Mario World prefix. Having that sets a standard and expectation that isn't fair or accurate.

#37 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

I honestly don't care about the game one way or the other (then again I don't care about SMW that much either so maybe I'm just a philistine) but man the vitriol was way too harsh for it.

I mean come on, it's not fuckin NiGHTS

#38 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I don't get the love everyone has for Super Mario World. We all know SMB 3 was the better game.

#39 Posted by BeachThunder (11847 posts) -

Not everyone likes the same thing...Yeah, I know, it's a hard concept to deal with =|

#40 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Guys. I've got to get something off my chest.

I hate Yoshi.

God, it feels good to be able to say that.

#41 Posted by BisonHero (6451 posts) -

I don't get the love everyone has for Super Mario World. We all know SMB 3 was the better game.

But, but...secret exits. And switch palaces. And capes. And Yoshis.

#42 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Yoshi's Island is awesome. Fuck Jeff Gerstmann. And Ryan Davis, but that goes without saying.

#43 Posted by ripelivejam (3807 posts) -

I'm a big fan, though I'm not surprised to hear that Jeff isn't (I don't listen to the Bombcast,

now here's the real shocker :o

YOU INHUMAN MONSTER

(i keed :D maaaaybe...)

#44 Edited by Draxyle (1835 posts) -

I have never heard dissidence against Yoshi's Island before; that is baffling to me. It's easily one of the best looking and most fun SNES games out there. And the music, goddamn was it good.

I can't think of any game more satisfying to 100% than that one. It had just the right levels of escalating challenge and exploration.

#45 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

@grantheaslip said:

I'm a big fan, though I'm not surprised to hear that Jeff isn't (I don't listen to the Bombcast,

now here's the real shocker :o

YOU INHUMAN MONSTER

(i keed :D maaaaybe...)

I only stopped a month or two ago, and I'm going back and listening to early episodes! I don't want to derail the conversation, but the subject of this topic is a pretty good affirmation of why I quit listening.

#46 Edited by ripelivejam (3807 posts) -

i just liked that they used the Super FX chip to give it better 2D graffix :D

#47 Edited by Trilogy (2649 posts) -

Nothing really shocks me when it comes to Jeff not liking things. You sort of just become numb to it after a while.

Yoshi's Island was a great game. It wasn't a goddamn masterpiece, but it also wasn't "a fucking piece of trash" either. People can't seem to express their opinions without being so silly and extremist about it.

#48 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Yoshi's Island is a great fucking game. But Jeff is way off base on a lot of things, like his hatred for Red Dead because the horse riding (which was really well done) confused him.

#49 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

I love Yoshi's Island.

#50 Edited by Milkman (16672 posts) -

I don't really care about Yoshi's Island but as long as we can all agree that NiGHTS is fucking horrible, it's all good.