• 95 results
#51 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

Yoshi's Island is a fantastic SNES game so it's kinda baffling why Jeff didn't like the game even from a gameplay standpoint. Maybe he never played the game in his youth so perhaps that has an impact.

#52 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

Yoshi's Island is a fantastic SNES game so it's kinda baffling why Jeff didn't like the game even from a gameplay standpoint. Maybe he never played the game in his youth so perhaps that has an impact.

Nostalgia is surely a factor but maybe he does just not like it? I also hate a lot of games people seem to like. 3D Zeldas and Mario, FFVII FFIX and so on. Why People just like different things and they should normally not even need a reason for it.

#53 Edited by D_W (1197 posts) -

I am comfortable saying that any Mario game that isn't Super Mario World or All Stars, then they're an awful video game. Especially if it's called "Super Mario RPG," but it applies to them all.

#54 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

I hope they both have a proper discussion in the coming weeks.

Having a difference of opinion is all well and good, but calling it trash...

#55 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

..ah well

#56 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I'm not shocked that Jeff hates it, I'm shocked that people still take his opinions on videogames seriously.

#57 Edited by Nilazz (639 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Fuck that game. They had the gall, the audacity to call that Super Mario World 2? It was nothing close to the masterpiece that Super Mario World is.

It has a nice color scheme going for it, but the mechanics are not fun, the crying baby needs to shut the fuck up, and no one wants to play as yoshi. That game is overrated and a piece of trash.

#58 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

It was an alright game in it's own regard, but man that was a bad follow up to Super Mario World. Also the mechanics were too up their own ass for a Mario game. Mario was good cause they kept it simple. Still I haven't played it in a while so maybe that's just how I remember it.

Still Super Mario World 3 is the peak of the series, everything after is just downhill from there.

#59 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Thats hardly fair on the game, the truth is that Super Mario 64 was the intended follow up.

It was never originally called Super Mario World 2, but was presumably given that by marketing folks to sell more copies.

#60 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Remember when Jeff said MGS2 and 4 were the best ones?

Sometimes he just has an opinion most people will think with crazy.

(Though, I love MGS2 & 4.)

#61 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

Easily one of the best SNES games. Especially one of its best platformers.

#62 Posted by Milkman (17329 posts) -

And he was 100% right.

MGS 1 is barely a functional game at this point and MSG 3, while it obviously has some interesting ideas, is just not at all fun to play.

#63 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@d_w said:

I am comfortable saying that any Mario game that isn't Super Mario World or All Stars, then they're an awful video game. Especially if it's called "Super Mario RPG," but it applies to them all.

Oh Super Mario RPG? You mean "The Best Game That Ever Had Mario In The Title You Monster"?

#64 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Jeff be crazy

#65 Posted by Dtat (1630 posts) -

I went back and played it after being shocked that Jeff hates it. But damn. He was right. It does not hold up.

#66 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (743 posts) -

Patrick was the only correct person in that room.

#67 Posted by johncallahan (620 posts) -

While I do think that Jeff's lack of enjoyment for Super Metroid and Red Dead are strange odd, I find it even more odd that there are so many people who really like Yoshi's Island. I mean seriously, that game is bad y'all.

#68 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

You can't trust a track addict.

#69 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

I blame the brain-eating amoebas! :O

#70 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2615 posts) -

I like it but it's not Super Mario World 2.

#71 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

That's okay, I'm sure he still has half a dozen copies holed in a box somewhere.

At least 2 of them unopened.

#72 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

Yoshi's Island is a fucking amazing game and everyone who says otherwise can eat it.

#73 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

@chavtheworld said:

@thehbk said:

Fuck that game. They had the gall, the audacity to call that Super Mario World 2? It was nothing close to the masterpiece that Super Mario World is.

It has a nice color scheme going for it, but the mechanics are not fun, the crying baby needs to shut the fuck up, and no one wants to play as yoshi. That game is overrated and a piece of trash.

What this man said.

But I thought the art was horrible too. And calling that shit SMW2? Disgusting.

Are you guys capable of expressing an opinion without resorting to such ridiculous hyperbole? If you don't like it, fine, that's a valid opinion, but it's not "trash" or "shit". Come on.

Oh I am sorry, I didn't know we are on PoliticoCorrecto.com This is Giant Bomb son. Did you even listen to the discussion the guys had on the podcast about this game? If you are not ready for real talk, then see ya later and go back to GameSpot, rookie.

#74 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

Sometimes he just has an opinion most people will think with crazy.

(Though, I love MGS2 & 4.)

But he is right. So Yoshi's Island is indeed trash^^

Seriously never liked that game. Especially after Super Mario World. I wonder though if the will put a lot of Wah Wah in the new game.

#75 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

Babies never make anything better. Thus, Baby Mario sucks which means Yoshi's Island sucks.

#76 Edited by BobSacamano (10 posts) -

I never played the SNES version but I did play the GBA remake when I was younger and I didn't think it was all that great. Sure, it was still one of the better platformers out there but thinking back playing as Yoshi was pretty lame. What worries me most isn't that Jeff didn't like it but that so many people are eager to jump at his throat just for having that opinion. I think objectively it's definitely one of the weaker entries in the core Mario franchise.

#77 Edited by MEATBALL (3490 posts) -

People who hate Yoshi's Island are certifiably insane.

#78 Posted by Bollard (5867 posts) -

@thehbk said:

@grantheaslip said:

@chavtheworld said:

@thehbk said:

What this man said.

But I thought the art was horrible too. And calling that shit SMW2? Disgusting.

Are you guys capable of expressing an opinion without resorting to such ridiculous hyperbole? If you don't like it, fine, that's a valid opinion, but it's not "trash" or "shit". Come on.

Oh I am sorry, I didn't know we are on PoliticoCorrecto.com This is Giant Bomb son. Did you even listen to the discussion the guys had on the podcast about this game? If you are not ready for real talk, then see ya later and go back to GameSpot, rookie.

BRB, buying that domain name because it sounds like a hilarious (if somewhat racist) site.

#79 Posted by dropabombonit (1492 posts) -

I with Jeff on this one. Baby Mario sucks and try telling me that this is not the worst sound effect in a game ever (although it would make a great alarm)

#80 Posted by yyZiggurat (1027 posts) -

I've never played it. I remember seeing the cover at rental stores.

#81 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Though it was shrill, the thing people forget about baby marios cry is that it made you be more careful. If you play well, you never hear him cry :)

#82 Posted by ripelivejam (4877 posts) -

@thehbk said:

i would have loled so hard if it were actually jeff who made this post.

i remember people couldn't stop raving about it when it was released.

#83 Posted by dragonzord (823 posts) -

My favorite thing about stuff like this is seeing so many posters on here suddenly going, 'Yeah! I always hated that game!!!'

#84 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

The worst sound effect is Toad's voice in Super Mario Advance-SMB2.

"THANKYOU! OH A CRYSTAL!"

#85 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

Bitching about baby Mario is like complaining that the "your health is low" alarm in Zelda is annoying. Of course it is, it's a fucking alarm.

#86 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2341 posts) -

I can't listen to baby Mario cry for any period of time so I've never gotten very far in the game.

#87 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -

Yoshi's Island > Super Mario World

Truthed.

#88 Edited by ElixirBronze (447 posts) -

It's just the power of the Hate Nintendo Bandwagon baby!

#89 Posted by Bocam (3826 posts) -

Baby Mario made me never want to have kids.

#90 Edited by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

One of the best 2d platformers ever.

#91 Edited by gogosox82 (423 posts) -

Jeff hates everything. Just assume that until he states otherwise and you'll be less shocked/surprised/upset.

#92 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

The saga continues :p

#93 Edited by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Fuck yoshis island.

i remember playing that, stupid baby mario, annoying sounds, stupid art design. it made no damn sense, you turn into a yoshi submarine, wtf? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

#94 Posted by SilentPredator (146 posts) -

I think I've only played 10 minutes of Yoshi's Island and that was forever ago, so I don't really have an opinion on the quality of the game. That said, I did like hearing the guys get riled up over something. Given the nature of their jobs, I'd imagine they can't really devote enough time in a game to get invested in it. The gang definitely give off a tone of being jaded or apathetic a lot of the time, so to hear them have a strong opinion on something, whether it be positive or negative, is nice.

#95 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

Jeff has bad taste. In games, music and clothes among other things.

#96 Posted by C2C (861 posts) -

Played it and beat it a long time ago, when I was like 10 or something. I can honestly see people both really liking and hating that game. The art can probably be a little divisive, but when I played it, I thought it was inoffensive. Looking back, that art style is pretty different since they went with the coloring book style. I can see people not liking it, but I wouldn't call it dumb. I remember enjoying the music as well, especially the boss themes. Aesthetically, I disagree with Jeff's opinion.

Mechanically speaking, the egg throwing stuff was actually pretty fun. I think that was probably my favorite part of the game. If we are just talking about the platforming though, then yeah it was a bit on the meh side of things. The game also introduced the red coin mechanic, which I never liked. My memory is hazy, but I also remember that I didn't play all the extra stages because they were tied to hidden stuff. The boss battles were pretty fun though.

That being said, I don't think I will ever play that game again. It's weird, but I have no nostalgia for that game at all. I dunno if I was pretty meh about the game after I beat it or what.