I don't watch QLs as much as I used to..

• 140 results
D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By D0tti

When I first came to GB I looooved the QLs they were the reason I signed up(and the bombcast off course), but the last 2 years maybe i've been watching them less and less. I just don't find them as entertaining as they use to be. Sure there are some funny and entertaining QLs like the sports QLs with Vinny and Jeff, but still I feel like almost every QL used to be as funny and entertaining if not more "back in the day". I don't know maybe i'm just getting older and jaded by games, but I don't think so, since I still can find my self laughing when watching something with Vinny for example. 

What do you guys think? Am I way out off line here?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nah. I don't watch them as much either. Mostly because they stopped being as entertaining with a lot of the time spent on lingering on menus while someone describes what's going to happen, instead of just showing it. No hate for Patrick what so ever, but he is the prime offender of this. Although others do it as well. Although Vinny with anyone like Ryan or Jeff is gold still. Brad is still entertaining as well in his own way.

On a side note: That Brad May Cry video was some of those entertaining stuff I've seen in a long while!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

The only thing that's really changed are that the quicklooks tend to be longer, there are still just as many funny moments now as there ever have been.

There are only so many times you can be entertained by something before you get numb to it, maybe it's time for a break.

coilcloudvaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By coilcloudvaper

ONLY VINNY AND COMPANY QUICK LOOKS, no patrick

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Branthog

I'm so far behind on all the video content, here. I love the quicklooks (although they're not as bust-a-gut funny as they used to be), but my Pocket queue literally has hundreds of videos (mostly quicklooks, but other things too) from GB that I have to catch up on still. I'm almost an entire year behind. At least since last May, I think.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By D0tti
@LiquidPrince said:

Nah. I don't watch them as much either. Mostly because they stopped being as entertaining with a lot of the time spent on lingering on menus while someone describes what's going to happen, instead of just showing it. No hate for Patrick what so ever, but he is the prime offender of this. Although others do it as well. Although Vinny with anyone like Ryan or Jeff is gold still. Brad is still entertaining as well in his own way.

Yeah I think that's the same feeling I have and why I don't watch them as much anymore. 

@Kidavenger said:

The only thing that's really changed are that the quicklooks tend to be longer, there are still just as many funny moments now as there ever have been.

There are only so many times you can be entertained by something before you get numb to it, maybe it's time for a break.

I don't know I don't think it has something to do with the length off the quick looks, the two funniest sports quick looks are 40min+ if i'm not mistaken and they are hilarious. 

Also I kinda am on "a break" from QLs since I really don't watch them anymore.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By cookiemonster

Yeah I stopped watching them as much as well, probably because I have less time on my hands and they're just so god damn looooong now.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

I come here for the forums mostly.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PillClinton

Huh, yeah, me too. I honestly can't tell if it's me that's changed, or them, though. I'm gonna say a bit of both probably.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Grixxel

I avoid ones that have certain cast members in em. Lets leave it at that.

Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Philanthropy

hate to jump on the bandwagon but quick looks with Patrick suck

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sumbog

I don't watch all of them, just the ones that I either hear are funny, or are of games I am interested in. I use to watch the quicklooks on my laptop as I played strategy games, but my laptop crapped out, so I have been watching less and less. But I do try my best to catch as many as possible.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wjb

I watch Quick Looks of games I'm interested in, or at least games I could be interested in.

This may sound weird, but any other QL I'll listen to them speak, but focus on other things. Almost like it's a 20-minute podcast for a particular game. If it sounds like something funny or important is happening, I'll click and see what's they're referring to, and then go back to what I was doing.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Laksa

I avoid all quicklooks with patrick in them, he is incredibly annoying. Regrettably i have stopped listening to the bombcast also as he is insufferable when talking. Too much cynicism from everyone except vinny and drew, completely senseless genre hate,going off on crazy tangents during quicklooks, and being oh so grumpy. Youtube does better, which is where i am going for my vids now.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Castiel

I've been a big fan of not singling out specific members of the GB crew, but if I have to be honest there are certain QLs I don't enjoy as much because of the person involved. I'll just leave it at that.

It's definitely not the only reason though. The week where it was only Brad, Vinny and Drew were the best week in GB for years and it was because they didn't have to follow any plan or anything. It was just them doing what they wanted to do and it just felt natural, fun and relaxed.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sdharrison

VInny, Jeff and Ryan are solid gold. The Flight Club crew for deep PC gaming is also a favorite. I do avoid Patrick QLs, mostly because he lingers on menus and irritates me. Brad can run a serviceable QL when he's played it in advance but he needs backup for humor and entertainment.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@wjb said:

I watch Quick Looks of games I'm interested in, or at least games I could be interested in.

This may sound weird, but any other QL I'll listen to them speak, but focus on other things. Almost like it's a 20-minute podcast for a particular game. If it sounds like something funny or important is happening, I'll click and see what's they're referring to, and then go back to what I was doing.

Essentially this is what's going on with me, it's like a better version of television to leave on in the background.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

I used to watch every QL, but now I just watch the ones where the games interest me. Watching a dull game for an hour and a half isn't worth it for MAYBE catching a funny line or two.

This applies to TNT as well.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fiberpay

Unless its a game im really interested in I just turn them on next to me while I play games and listen to them. But I still watch all the QL's.

NinjaTard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NinjaTard

The benefit of a quick look is that it seems many times someone hasn't played the game and someone has been so it's kind of a window into the game for a potential buyer. For instance, I wanted nothing to do with DmC (Devil May Cry if you're old school) until that quick look went up. Hearing an honest first reaction to the game in it's retail form from one of the Bomb-stars is really entertaining too as sometimes there is real comedy gold in there and it's just nice to hear guys I've been listening to for years get really excited about something I'm really excited about too.

I'm pro Quick Look and I approve this message.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By D0tti
@Castiel said:

I've been a big fan of not singling out specific members of the GB crew, but if I have to be honest there are certain QLs I don't enjoy as much because of the person involved. I'll just leave it at that.

It's definitely not the only reason though. The week where it was only Brad, Vinny and Drew were the best week in GB for years and it was because they didn't have to follow any plan or anything. It was just them doing what they wanted to do and it just felt natural, fun and relaxed.

Now that you mention it, that week was pretty awesome and exactly for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe that's why I don't watch QLs that much anymore aswell, cause I used to love those unprepared, natural and relaxed QLs that they used to make. 

Edit: Also what many people here already have mentioned, if I do watch a quick look its only because i'm interested in that game and that's pretty rare these days.
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Ironically quick looks are really long these days. I rarely watch any these days. The strange exception was the euro trucking one.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 9cupsoftea

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Ironically quick looks are really long these days. I rarely watch any these days. The strange exception was the euro trucking one.

When I'm bored I come on giantbomb and check out a couple of new quick looks, I usually get about 4-5 mins in and stop but I watched the whole of that euro truck one. The game was weirdly compelling and something I would never otherwise see, Vinny's enthusiasm is infectious, and it felt genuinely relaxed and fun. Not to disparage other QLs but even with games I'm curious about I feel like I can get better vids on youtube these days.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nicolasvh

@Castiel said:

This. I can't really explain it, but I've never felt the vibe from the office that well as in those videos. There was a particular 'je ne sais quoi' going on, it was awesome.

I also have to note while I agree I enjoyed QL's more in the past, I'm the first to nag when there's a lack of content for a while. So they must be doing something right. I also don't have any problem with Patrick whatsoever, but last week was just a bit too much.

Also: more Flight Clubs. I'll put on my FC shirt everytime when there's a new one, I promise!

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sdharrison

Yeah that was a great week. No fretting over subscriber only videos, spoilers, Dev EXs, genre hate, etc. Just the guys having fun. The fun was infectious.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By jacdg

I stopped because the guys just don't seem as enthusiastic anymore, and with the copious amount of time that goes into explaining stuff it's generally a borefest, especially if the dudes don't really know what they are talking about and giving the game shit for their own mistakes. Vinny quick looks are usually the best, since he's always open minded and the fact that he, alongside with Drew, seem to be genuinely excited about games.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@sdharrison said:

Yeah that was a great week. No fretting over subscriber only videos, spoilers, Dev EXs, genre hate, etc. Just the guys having fun. The fun was infectious.

I wish we got more stuff like this. That week felt more like the giantbomb of 2008. Just some guys messing around and enjoying video games. Man, now I one of those people.

Minifig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Minifig

I tend to watch all over them, but I leave some of them on as background noise. I watch the ones I'm genuinely interested in.. but the ones with Patrick, I tend to just usually leave on as background noise.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By DarthOrange
@D0tti said:

I don't know maybe i'm just getting older and jaded by games,

I think its more the crew that has become jaded. If they don't like something they will spend a shit ton of time just complaining about it where as they used to have fun with it even if the game was bad.  

Edit- basically this:  
@JacDG said:

I stopped because the guys just don't seem as enthusiastic anymore, and with the copious amount of time that goes into explaining stuff it's generally a borefest, especially if the dudes don't really know what they are talking about and giving the game shit for their own mistakes. Vinny quick looks are usually the best, since he's always open minded and the fact that he, alongside with Drew, seem to be genuinely excited about games.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By D0tti
@DarthOrange: Yeah probably, the more I think about that seems more plausible since they've been doing it for such a long time now. 
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Branthog

@DarthOrange said:

@D0tti said:

I think its more the crew that has become jaded. If they don't like something they will spend a shit ton of time just complaining about it where as they used to have fun with it even if the game was bad.

Edit- basically this:
@JacDG said:

Agreed. I don't know if the GB guys see this or not. And either way, I don't know what they could do about it, but the first few years of GB felt exciting and eager and I felt this energy and fun behind everything they did. I think that sort of energy is what lead to things like the giant bomb live live show every friday. I felt like everyone was eager to be there and playing games and making content.

I don't know if they have changed (and if they did, they probably don't perceive it) or if they have NOT changed, but WE somehow think they did . . . but I just don't feel that they are excited anymore. It usually feels like I'm watching or listening to any other guys at any other job trudging through any other daily work that they're just eager to get through so they can go home.

I have no grand solution for this. I just know it has felt this way for about two years now. The content is still okay, but there really is a sort of . . . . lacking vitality around here. I hope it is regained. I miss it.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Well the quality game releases have been few and far between recently so thats why my interest has waned on them. Also the QL's were better being less than 30mins. I agree with what people are saying here about them spending too much time looking at menu screens.

All in all, they should bring back video reviews. So a really good game gets a written article, video review and a QL.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Rebel_Scum said:

Well the quality game releases have been few and far between recently so thats why my interest has waned on them. Also the QL's were better being less than 30mins. I agree with what people are saying here about them spending too much time in a menu screen.

All in all, they should bring back video reviews. So a really good game gets a written article, video review and a QL.

That is not true. Last week we got DmC which Brad gave 5 stars and now we have Ni no Kuni which he also likes.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By upwarDBound

Patrick being in on certain quick looks is great. I couldn't imagine him not being in the the Don't Starve or Kentucky Route Zero videos for example. The problem is that he isn't really funny and he also isn't very knowledgeable about certain kinds of games. I'm not kidding when I say that I was greatly relieved that he wasn't sitting in on the Ni no Kuni quick look.

Besides that I generally only watch quick looks of games I have a genuine interest in all the way through unless the guys playing and commentating are hitting on all cylinders with the jokes.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nicolasvh

Not sure about bringing back video reviews. They were too scripted and go completely against what everybody is saying about being more relax, enthusiastic, excited, etc..

The special thing about that week with Vinny, Drew and Brad: they didn't care. They were about to show Sleeping Dogs DLC, but instead the first 45 minutes were just Vinny messing around in 'regular' Sleeping Dogs. Normally somebody would have said "we should probably show this and do this". But then it was just going with the flow, enjoying the game and the company.

I also agree that sometimes it feels like they just want to get through the day because it is 'work'. It is and it's probably normal, but it's not fun as a viewer to sense these things.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By stonyman65

@LiquidPrince said:

This. I haven't really watched a Quick Look in about 2 months. They just aren't as interesting as they used to be. Maybe it's just because there aren't that many things coming out right now? I think things will start to pick up again around Q2 or so.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By topsteer

@upwarDBound said:

The problem is that he isn't really funny and he also isn't very knowledgeable about certain kinds of games.

You could say that about any of the staff though. Personally I find Ryan more annoying than funny most of the time. Nobody is knowledgeable about all games, Jeff is certainly the most knowledgeable of the crew but most of the games I care about he knows nothing about but I don't hold it against him.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Superkenon
@ImmortalSaiyan

@sdharrison said:

I wish we got more stuff like this. That week felt more like the giantbomb of 2008. Just some guys messing around and enjoying video games. Man, now I one of those people.

I feel like their tone has been shifting back that way lately. Either they've caught themselves, or they're just generally in better spirits.

Their Unprofessional Friday thing last week was good -- felt a lot like the SNES parties, just them hanging out aimlessly. I'm excited for it being a weekly feature.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah. When I first signed up, I literally watched every QL that came out the day they were released. Now, I'm skipping so many and there are a lot that are just plain boring. Can't actually pinpoint why, but maybe it is the lack of enthusiasm from the staff others have cited. I also tend to avoid when a QL is helmed by certain duos because they're just not funny or entertaining, and the only reason I watch them is to be entertained.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By Levio

@Grixxel said:

I avoid ones that have certain cast members in em. Lets leave it at that.

wtf another Jeff hater!? You guys need to leave him alone! Jeff, I appreciate you despite everyone else hating you. Someday they will respect you for who you are.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#41  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

Yeah I really don't watch many anymore. They tend to be more serious than funny nowadays. To be fair since they are no longer funny I only tend to watch ones that have to do with games I am interested in and that's not many anymore.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By pr1mus

I always watch Vinny/Jeff and Vinny/Brad stuff because Vinny.

Actually the only real problem i have is the ridiculous amount of time they can sometimes spend in menus. Patrick is pretty bad with that as is Ryan. The others a bit less.

Less explaining, more showing. That's the whole point of making video content.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Branthog said:

@DarthOrange said:

@D0tti said:

Edit- basically this:
@JacDG said:

Agreed. I don't know if the GB guys see this or not. And either way, I don't know what they could do about it, but the first few years of GB felt exciting and eager and I felt this energy and fun behind everything they did. I think that sort of energy is what lead to things like the giant bomb live live show every friday. I felt like everyone was eager to be there and playing games and making content.

I don't know if they have changed (and if they did, they probably don't perceive it) or if they have NOT changed, but WE somehow think they did . . . but I just don't feel that they are excited anymore. It usually feels like I'm watching or listening to any other guys at any other job trudging through any other daily work that they're just eager to get through so they can go home.

I have no grand solution for this. I just know it has felt this way for about two years now. The content is still okay, but there really is a sort of . . . . lacking vitality around here. I hope it is regained. I miss it.

I agree with this that's why I listen to other podcasts these days they have a excitement that I feel GB doesn't have anymore. I feel GB enjoys joking around more about other stuff then they care talking about games.But if I was working in the gaming industry as long as they have been I probably would start to get bored or hate gaming and just seeing it as work and not a hobby.So I can understand getting burned out playing games for so long they probably just need to take a long break if they could and maybe some of the excitement could come back.I'm really surprised they haven't talked about the Oculus Rift much or at all maybe it's just me but the thought of VR that actually is good and works really gets me excited for the future of gaming.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that I was the only one to have many sentiments but I guess Im wrong.  They seem to linger on too long.  I never end up watching the whole thing.  I just go to a different tab and do something else until the video ends.  

Shrimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shrimpy

Definitely.

The main problem is they're just boring for various reasons. One being staying at the menus, when they do this I usually turn off the quick look, I just can't be bothered. I remember awhile ago they used to just jump straight into the game, or would already be playing.

We don't need the game or game play explained to us. We can figure that out watching it. The main reason I used to watch quick looks was for entertainment.

And yeah, there are certain people who drag a quick look down immanently, but others that do the opposite. I can only imagine the Euro Truck video with someone else playing, ugh.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#46  Edited By Yummylee

@ShaggE said:

I used to watch every QL, but now I just watch the ones where the games interest me. Watching a dull game for an hour and a half isn't worth it for MAYBE catching a funny line or two.

This. I would initially make a feast with everything that GB put out, but these days I spend a lot more of my time on the forums than I do watching/reading GB content. This is probably more to do with me getting bored of the format. There's just far too much impromptu ''guys sit on couch playing video games'' and no scripted stuff with some actual editing, like TANG or their video reviews. I guess that's what makes their GOTY material extra special in that sense, because it's completely unique from everything else across the year.

I always wished they could start making a selection of videos in the same style as Screened, where they would actually select some sort of theme/topic and then either write a script for a one man editorial video or just talk about that specific theme with a co-host. Instead it's a lot of ''let's just play these games and see what happens'', which I can understand the appeal, but that's all there really is. It's like when it comes to learning about classic video games, I personally find the AVGN videos much more informative/entertaining (though it differs; a lot of the AVGN humour is pretty juvenile and stupid) than the encyclopaedia bombastica.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By TobbRobb

I only watch games I am interested in "which is rare" or games I think will carry some comedic value on its own. I'm not gonna sit for 40min watching something potentially boring that I'm not interested in.

I also have started closing QLs down halfway through when I lose interest, which is more or less heresy in my mind. That's how boring some of them are.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Yummylee said:

@ShaggE said:

This. I would initially make a feast with everything that GB put out, but these days I spend a lot more of my time on the forums than I do watching/reading GB content. This is probably more to do with me getting bored of the format. There's just far too much impromptu ''guys sit on couch playing video games'' and no scripted stuff with some actual editing, like TANG or their video reviews. I guess that's what makes their GOTY material extra special in that sense, because it's completely unique from everything else across the year.

I always wished they could start making a selection of videos in the same style as Screened, where they would actually select some sort of theme/topic and then either write a script for a one man editorial video or just talk about that specific theme with a co-host. Instead it's a lot of ''let's just play these games and see what happens'', which I can understand the appeal, but that's all there really is. It's like when it comes to learning about classic video games, I personally find the AVGN videos much more informative/entertaining (though it differs; a lot of the AVGN humour is pretty juvenile and stupid) than the encyclopaedia bombcastica.

I agree with this sentiment. I would love for more scripted stuff and videos similar to what screened was doing. Such video game content can be easy, just play it on camera. I'd like to see them branch out from that.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Rebel_Scum said:

Well the quality game releases have been few and far between recently so thats why my interest has waned on them. Also the QL's were better being less than 30mins. I agree with what people are saying here about them spending too much time in a menu screen.

That is not true. Last week we got DmC which Brad gave 5 stars and now we have Ni no Kuni which he also likes.

Hey man thats just my opinion. I don't like both those games. So that makes it true.

Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Colt45

@D0tti: Sorry to hear that you're losing interest in the QLs. I still like them. I actually find that I base most of my purchasing decisions on Quick Looks rather than reviews (which I'm sure is the case with a lot of folks who frequent the site).

There are other things I kind of get tired of. I usually just take a break from it for a while then come back when it feels fresh again.