#1 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

I haven't had any TV to watch in a while. I will probably do Game of Thrones soon, but since Breaking Bad and Walking Dead were the only things I was watching already, I just haven't been watching any TV. I rarely find time to watch Netflix these days either.

I have barely even been gaming at all either. I just played straight through Bioshock last weekend, but other than a few hours on Dark Souls here and there and maybe an hour occasionally on a PC game I spend a very small percentage of time actually playing games anymore.

I can't seem to find the time to read either, at least for entertainment. I have Friday off most weeks, so you'd think I have a lot of leisure time but I use a lot of that time working on projects and trying to learn new things.

I drive into the office 2 days a week and it's about a 30 minute commute so I can usually listen to a whole bombcast spread out over both days drives. When I take work breaks or want to mess around online on weekends I usually just end up reading the forums and news on here or scan RockPaperShotgun for stories I'm interested in.

I watch a lot of video content on here, at least most of the quick looks. I think it might look kind of obsessive to other people how often I am watching, reading or listening to the staff of this site and I don't even have access to all of the premium content. My wife really likes Ryan and Jeff a lot and occasionally watches the videos too, and she probably spends the same amount of time on Facebook or Huffington Post, but I think sometimes she wonders why I'm on here so much.

It's a testament to the quality of content they produce and my general enjoyment of the community here, which I'll give the mods a lot of credit for too, but sometimes I worry that I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket and I should be diversifying a little more.

Do you ever get into a thing where you spend the majority of your time online in just one or two places? Is that normal web behavior now? I used to go everywhere online and post on a lot of forums and spend a lot of time looking for interesting stuff on YouTube, but I just don't care about most of the internet anymore when I'm not working.

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

Yeah I felt that way like... 18 months ago. There was a ton of premium content, they were doing another Endurance Run, there was weird shows where they'd bring out the SNES or the 3D0, they had the interns doing stuff like the Fear Gauntlet...

Now I probably spend more time watching documentaries.

#3 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

I'm the same way. Honestly, I spend more time consuming Giant Bomb content than well, any other entertainment, including video games themselves.

#4 Posted by Milkman (17328 posts) -

It's been that way for years now.

#5 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I still end up watching more TV shows than anything, especially after Netflix kinda opened the door to easy, instant marathonning of TV. In the last say year and a half I've watched the entire runs of Oz, The Wire, The West Wing, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Archer, Community, Top Gear and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Plus I found time to watch Twin Peaks again, which is even better the second time around. Also some miniseries but those don't count.

Oh god the more I edit this, the more I realize I watch way too much TV!

#6 Edited by Petiew (1361 posts) -

Yeah I felt that way like... 18 months ago.

This. I just come here for the forums now.

I don't watch TV either, since I don't want to pay the license fee, but I have other things online to watch.

#7 Edited by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

The subscription payment is so worth it. Wednesday's New Releases Show, TNT and Unprofessional Fridays basically mean i've got something to watch for half the nights of the week.

#8 Edited by Winternet (8055 posts) -

Are you saying that it wasn't that way for the last 5 years?

#9 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine - I hope you don't mind - but I always think it's a little weird when people say they don't have time for stuff because they spend their time on something else voluntarily. You would have time for gaming and TV if you didn't watch all the content on GB, it's just a matter of priorities. Only a small portion of people saying they are always busy are actually working two jobs while juggling a family and an education.

#10 Edited by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

@jozzy: I have 2 jobs, a family, own a house and have a number of demanding hobbies.

I choose to spend most of my free time learning and making things, not indulging in entertainment, so I'm not saying the site is stealing my gaming or TV time. The only real free time I have is work breaks and driving and I can't do much but read on breaks and play music in the car anyway. I just seem to be filling the small amount of free time I dedicate to entertainment with this one source.

I don't mind, just try to read what I'm saying without applying your own knee-jerk pet peeve reaction next time. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people do that.

#11 Edited by SomberOwl (728 posts) -

I just enjoy listening to these guys like no ones business. I "watch" almost every Quick Look. I pretty much just play the video and listen to who ever is playing while browsing around the net, occasionally switching back to the video.

#12 Posted by Raye (45 posts) -

While I don't really have as much time to spend watching the Quick Looks at home (and live streaming is out of the question most times because lolGMT), I do sometimes throw them on my iPad via the Video Buddy app.

They definitely help fill in those 90 minute train commutes to and from work!

#13 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4822 posts) -

It's ending up that way for me. I'll tune into some DotA2 livestreams and keep up with the occasional Youtuber, but yeah, other than that, Giant Bomb is pretty much the only thing I watch these days.

#14 Edited by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

I don't know about my main source but it is on my daily rotation of things to check out on the internet.

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

Between the podcast and the three live shows a week, that takes a lot of free time if you try to catch all of it; paying for a premium membership strangely make me feel obligated to get the most out of the site; it was the same way when I played WoW; just paying that subscription fee made me play the crap out of that game to the point that I played nothing else at all for almost 5 years before I blew up and got sick of it...

#16 Edited by jozzy (2035 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

@jozzy: I have 2 jobs, a family, own a house and have a number of demanding hobbies.

I choose to spend most of my free time learning and making things, not indulging in entertainment, so I'm not saying the site is stealing my gaming or TV time. The only real free time I have is work breaks and driving and I can't do much but read on breaks and play music in the car anyway. I just seem to be filling the small amount of free time I dedicate to entertainment with this one source.

I don't mind, just try to read what I'm saying without applying your own knee-jerk pet peeve reaction next time. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people do that.

I deserved that, I regretted posting that immediately after I did. :)

I just see it around me, people that always say "I am sooooo busy" while they mean "Other things are more important to me". It's clear you have your priorities straight.

#17 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I only come on Giantbomb when I take shits ( as am I now ), and during my work when I'm out of ideas and that I need a break from my writing.

But hey, that's cool if it's your main source of fun in life.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12160 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Yeah I felt that way like... 18 months ago. There was a ton of premium content, they were doing another Endurance Run, there was weird shows where they'd bring out the SNES or the 3D0, they had the interns doing stuff like the Fear Gauntlet...

Yeah, me too. I'm also ~11 months behind on the Bombcast.

#19 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

I've enjoyed the recent combo of Professional Wednesdays, TNT and Unprofessional Fridays.

#20 Edited by goobyman (18 posts) -

You know... I'm pretty new to Giantbomb. I followed these guys on gamespot.com way back when, but then just sorta quit following them after the whole Jeff being terminated debacle. But, I'm back to a certain degree. More than anything, I appreciate that I feel like these guys are my age and going through the same life changes as I am. The Podcasts are just great. It feels like hanging out with some of my friends who are now scattered all over the country. So good times.

#21 Edited by Cronus42 (279 posts) -

@seanfoster: Same, Having 3 livestreams a week is honestly great.

#22 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

@jozzy said:

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine - I hope you don't mind - but I always think it's a little weird when people say they don't have time for stuff because they spend their time on something else voluntarily. You would have time for gaming and TV if you didn't watch all the content on GB, it's just a matter of priorities. Only a small portion of people saying they are always busy are actually working two jobs while juggling a family and an education.

For my case, I have a job that permits me to have GB running in my ear all day. And I happen to be at this job six days a week, sometimes for twelve hours a day. That makes it easy for me to consume Giant Bomb's content, yet I can still honestly say I have precious little time for actually playing games myself -- particularly since I've still a number of other things to do during my increasingly rare "home time".

In this position, I guess it's easy for me to understand people when they say they watch GB but have no time to play games, haha.

#23 Posted by gla55jAw (2697 posts) -

I usually spend more time watching Videos on here than actually playing games. And yeah, since I hooked up my TV as a second monitor, most of what I watch are the downloaded streams and Quick Looks.

#24 Edited by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

They have live shows 3 nights a week. Quicklooks, podcasts and various subscriber features spread in between. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO WATCH IT ALL.

#25 Edited by believer258 (12203 posts) -

I used to think "eh, I don't spend as much time on here as I do playing games".

Then I realized that I've nearly finished the P4 ER in the span of about two months and it's around a hundred hours long. Granted, I watched a fair bit of it while I was on painkillers after getting my wisdom teeth pulled, and I also tend to watch it while eating breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner and while watching clothes, but...

The point is that the P4 ER is good background noise and I can watch it just about anywhere what with this fancy smartphone, but I can only play P3 at home.

#26 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

You sound just like me right now.

#27 Posted by Sander (413 posts) -

A good quicklook may be the most entertaining thing I watch in a given week. Or if it's something like the PAX panel, then it's the most entertaining thing of the month, possibly the year!

But yeah, I used to subscribe but the lack of weekend content disappointed me. I'll probably subscribe again for a few months beginning in September or so.