I feel like video games are passing me by.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By Chummy8

There's all this talk about games being released that are rip-offs of other games such as God of War, Gears of War, or Halo.  The problem is that I don't have the time or the budget to play the games that are the basis for the inspiration of future games.  I never played Gears, God of War, or Halo so I can't judge upcoming games on something I haven't experienced. 

During the Terminator: Salvation QL, the GB crew kept mentioning that this game was released in a post-Gears world and that was the basis for their judgement of the game.  I know Gears is popular and I am familiar about how they took the Kill.Switch formula and improved on it.  But I don't know nor do I have the desire to find out  just how good Gears is.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm getting older, but it's like I don't even know about video games anymore. 

Consider this... how would you rate games if Gears, God of War, or Halo never existed?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Chummy8

There's all this talk about games being released that are rip-offs of other games such as God of War, Gears of War, or Halo.  The problem is that I don't have the time or the budget to play the games that are the basis for the inspiration of future games.  I never played Gears, God of War, or Halo so I can't judge upcoming games on something I haven't experienced. 

During the Terminator: Salvation QL, the GB crew kept mentioning that this game was released in a post-Gears world and that was the basis for their judgement of the game.  I know Gears is popular and I am familiar about how they took the Kill.Switch formula and improved on it.  But I don't know nor do I have the desire to find out  just how good Gears is.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm getting older, but it's like I don't even know about video games anymore. 

Consider this... how would you rate games if Gears, God of War, or Halo never existed?

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Optiow

I know what you mean. I have never played Gears of War, and I have never gotten into Halo, so I have no idea when people say that it is better then Halo etc.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Black_Raven

I know how you feel, games are so expensive and with school and everything I cant give the games I have the attention they diverse. I accidentally deleted my saved game for The Witcher about a month ago and I really want to play through it and get back to where I was, but atm I just cant focus on it so I'm gonna have to wait till the holidays.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By justinnotjason

I'm not sure that you ever necessarily grow out of video games, normally what happens is the expendable income you had when you were younger dries up. You get older make more money but also have many more expenses. Also generally you end up worrying about other things so you can't concentrate on games as much as you used too.

I know I like to play games but I'm lucky if I can beat one game a month, or if I have the money for many games a year. I'm only in college too. I've been making alittle more money so I've been splurging on games. I think I spent 70 bucks, in the last year or so, over the course of 4 games off steam and some DLC for Rockband. Big spender :P

I like the newer games coming out but I just can't justify 60 dollars.  I've played Gears 1 so I know that game, hated HALO, and never played God of War, but I can recognize when a game is copying it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA

It's not you growing out of video games. It's a lack of interest in particular games.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

I just learn to read between the lines and like what I like. I've been gaming for a long time, so I've come to appreciate the little things in games. Things that interest me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I assume you aren't a fan of shooters or brawlers? You can get away with not caring about Halo, Gears or God of War because the influence those games have are only in their respective genres. All you need to know is that Halo popularized rechargeable health, Gears popularized the cover mechanic, and God of War popularized free-form combos.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fbomb
@ArbitraryWater said:
" I assume you aren't a fan of shooters or brawlers? You can get away with not caring about Halo, Gears or God of War because the influence those games have are only in their respective genres. All you need to know is that Halo popularized rechargeable health, Gears popularized the cover mechanic, and God of War popularized free-form combos. "
Good synopsis :) . I didn't care for any of those games, and there's a number that I've let pass me by as well. I think, it's like others have said, and at a certain point, you seek out only the games that appeal the most to you. I'd rather games pass me by than the world around me, anyway. There's just not enough time in the day to do everything.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H

Maybe it's just those types of games?  I personally find all three big games you mentioned to be boring.  There's just so many shooters and action games out today and I can't stand them anymore.  I'll take a game like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts or Medieval 2: Total War over those games any day.  I prefer games where you think and have to create a strategy over games where you mindlessly shoot at stuff, move to next checkpoint and repeat.  Other than B&K, Persona 4, and Rock Band 2, I didn't buy any other games from 2008 and I have yet to buy a 2009 game.  There just seems to be a lack of interesting stuff out right now.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm a PC gamer so i've played the first halo, the first level of the second halo (it was a trial or something.. seemed identical to the first game so i wasnt interested) and the first Gears..

i really enjoyed em, i believe they're a must for any gamer thats interested in their genres. sorry if it makes you feel bad but you gotta atleast play the first Halo dude!

and Gears is an amazing fucking game the first i got it  i spent 7 hours straight with my cousin playing it (11 am => 6 pm) its soooooooooooooo cool with its monsters and missions and spookiness and cover system its BADASS and creepy as fuck, you should try it out sooner or later.

Anyway you shouldnt feel too bad, i think each one of us has those 'ones' that 'got away' u know :P ?  dont worry about it all games copy each other and stuff. as soon as u get a chance u should try em out .

damn video games messing with our emotions =\
gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By gazel_ministry

Actually I find falling behind is the best thing you can do on a limited budget.  You'll always have 5-10 games to play and can get them dirt cheap.  I usually pick and choose the modern titles, mostly in an effort to weed out the games that have been overhyped in advertising and reviews. I never really felt the need to play all the trailblazing games. I've missed plenty, intentionally and unintentionally.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By mordukai

Thats why we have the renting business. So we don't have to spend 60 bucks on every new game that comes out. If you never played Gear, Gos of War or Halo you should. They are all equally good  games. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

The answer is always the same. Get a Wii. It is what gaming felt like in the SNES days.

I am tired of the kids hyping everything that has battles with cutscenes inbetween. That's why I'm so happy to be a Wii60 owner these days, and have been for quite some time now.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chummy8
@ArbitraryWater said:
"I assume you aren't a fan of shooters or brawlers? You can get away with not caring about Halo, Gears or God of War because the influence those games have are only in their respective genres. All you need to know is that Halo popularized rechargeable health, Gears popularized the cover mechanic, and God of War popularized free-form combos."

I never played God of War because I didn't own a Ps2 at the time of release.  And Gears and Halo are just not my style of game.

But aside from all that, I can't help but feel that the games released today are just not as good as the games released in the late 90's and the early years of this generation.
wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wackojackman

@ArbitraryWater said:
 I can't help but feel that the games released today are just not as good as the games released in the late 90's and the early years of this generation. "
I get what you mean, though I was born to late to truly experience the games of the 90's, it may be because what was once ground breaking has become standard issue for us. As the next (more or less now) generation consoles have been bought, games have more or less met their limits (being pushed slightly in size and graphics, but not so much) and the impact has passed by some of us.
 Or you may just be into different genre's as to what is most popular.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

Probably the same, since I mostly review JRPGs.