I got Deadly Premonition for free

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JakJ

So let me preface this with a little explanation - every couple of months or so my friends and I get together for Bad Game Night. We drink unhealthy amounts of alcohol and take turns playing the worst of the worst - Fuzion Frenzy 2, Darkest of Days - games like that. We have a great time playing each other's bad games. It's now become a competition to see who can bring that one game that makes everyone else throw up their hands and say "fuck this, I'm not playing this shit anymore."

One of my friends, Sam, is the master of buying bad games. He doesn't know they're bad when he buys them, he just picks them up cause "they look cool." He doesn't read reviews or anything, he just blind buys. Needless to say this gives him a lot of material.

Anyway, during Bad Game Night last Friday Sam is kinda coy. He looks at us and says "I've found the worst game ever." He reaches behind his couch and pulls out nothing other than Deadly Premonition. Now unlike him I frequent Giant Bomb, so I (naturally) started freaking out. Sam starts on about how he tried to play it and found it to be one of the worst games he's ever bought, which is saying something.

After a few failed attempts by my friends I took over the controls. Since I watched the ER I knew a thing or two about the game, and proceeded to not only make it through the intro level, but also quote some of  York's lines ("Call me York. That's what everyone calls me"). This freaks my friends out. Sam looks at me and tells me to just take the game. He gave it to me on the spot.

So now I feel obligated to see DP through to the end. So far I've gotten through the lumber mill, and fully intend to beat it before the ER ends. This just goes to show - you never know what good things will come your way when you hang out at Giant Bomb.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JakJ

So let me preface this with a little explanation - every couple of months or so my friends and I get together for Bad Game Night. We drink unhealthy amounts of alcohol and take turns playing the worst of the worst - Fuzion Frenzy 2, Darkest of Days - games like that. We have a great time playing each other's bad games. It's now become a competition to see who can bring that one game that makes everyone else throw up their hands and say "fuck this, I'm not playing this shit anymore."

One of my friends, Sam, is the master of buying bad games. He doesn't know they're bad when he buys them, he just picks them up cause "they look cool." He doesn't read reviews or anything, he just blind buys. Needless to say this gives him a lot of material.

Anyway, during Bad Game Night last Friday Sam is kinda coy. He looks at us and says "I've found the worst game ever." He reaches behind his couch and pulls out nothing other than Deadly Premonition. Now unlike him I frequent Giant Bomb, so I (naturally) started freaking out. Sam starts on about how he tried to play it and found it to be one of the worst games he's ever bought, which is saying something.

After a few failed attempts by my friends I took over the controls. Since I watched the ER I knew a thing or two about the game, and proceeded to not only make it through the intro level, but also quote some of  York's lines ("Call me York. That's what everyone calls me"). This freaks my friends out. Sam looks at me and tells me to just take the game. He gave it to me on the spot.

So now I feel obligated to see DP through to the end. So far I've gotten through the lumber mill, and fully intend to beat it before the ER ends. This just goes to show - you never know what good things will come your way when you hang out at Giant Bomb.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

That's pretty awesome. I want to have a Bad Game Night fronted by Deadly Premonition but I don't think any of my friends would understand =(

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cjmabry

Lol, very nice. 

Is this game good though? From what I've seen, it looks terrible. But I hear people praising it, and I can't tell if it's sarcasm or what. I've a tiny bit of the endurance run and I can't say that it looks good at all, but I really don't know. Just not sure what all the buzz is since I'm relatively new to GB. 

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JakJ
@cjmabry:  It has to be sarcasm. Sam told me his girlfriend usually watches the games he plays, but after ten minutes of DP she just said "No."
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty
@JakJ said:
"but after ten minutes of DP she just said "No." "
*giggle*
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Sanryd
@cjmabry said:
" Lol, very nice.  Is this game good though? From what I've seen, it looks terrible. But I hear people praising it, and I can't tell if it's sarcasm or what. I've a tiny bit of the endurance run and I can't say that it looks good at all, but I really don't know. Just not sure what all the buzz is since I'm relatively new to GB.  "  
So, I'm usually terrible at seeing how someone else can like something I don't. But, Deadly Premonition is one I just can't even begin to wrap my mind around how anyone could remotely enjoy playing. I think that if I was forced to play it for any amount of time, I would commit suicide within around an hour, no joke. I know this doesn't help answer your question at all but I just had to get that off my chest.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iamjohn

I got it for free, too. 

As for whether or not it's any good, it's definitely not for everyone, but I think its great.  It's definitely a sum of its parts game, since while the parts may fall somewhere between mediocre and laughably bad, it all comes together in such a unique, interesting and quite honestly progressive way that I can't help but be intrigued by it (and be sure that some of the "badness" is intentional).  I can completely understand why most people wouldn't be into it, but suffice to say, anyone who says that the game is just horrible and has no redeeming qualities (i.e., most of the assholes talking mess about the game in DP threads) obviously haven't played it.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JakJ
@iAmJohn:  Dude I grew up on PSX era games. I feel right at home in DP ;)

If I didn't see that heart it has from the ER, I wouldn't even have it now!
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

Sucks to be you, now you gotta play it.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JakJ
@ArchScabby:  I'm looking forward to every horrible minute.

Having that game on your profile is badge of honor (or something) I say!
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn
@JakJ: Preach on, brother.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dtat
@cjmabry said:
"Lol, very nice.  Is this game good though? From what I've seen, it looks terrible. But I hear people praising it, and I can't tell if it's sarcasm or what. I've a tiny bit of the endurance run and I can't say that it looks good at all, but I really don't know. Just not sure what all the buzz is since I'm relatively new to GB.  "

From what I can tell, the gameplay is atroicious albeit in a charming way. The personality of the game, however, is absolutely amazing. It's crazy in all the right ways. I love the fact that I can watch it be played without having to play it.
Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Ferginator4k

I wish i could play this game, but unfortunately a PC version is highly inprobable and my PS3 has been apparently repossessed by family.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shirogane
@Ferginator4k said:
"I wish i could play this game, but unfortunately a PC version is highly inprobable and my PS3 has been apparently repossessed by family. "

Lucky you? It ain't on ps3. Also, my family has no interest in consoles whatsoever, or gaming at all really. Except maybe the wii at times... 

Also, the game isn't available in Australia as far as i know, so even if i wanted it, which i don't, i couldn't get it.  
I don't like these kinda games. Except RE4, somehow that was ok...
JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

*sighs*
 Nobody remembers this?

Deadly Premonition the worst of all time? At least it's "playable".
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
@Shirogane said:
" Lucky you? It ain't on ps3. Also, my family has no interest in consoles whatsoever, or gaming at all really. Except maybe the wii at times...  Also, the game isn't available in Australia as far as i know, so even if i wanted it, which i don't, i couldn't get it.  I don't like these kinda games. Except RE4, somehow that was ok... "
Is there some interesting point I'm missing here, or did you literally just decide to reply to some guy's post about how he wishes that he could play the game to say "WELL FUCK YOU FOR THINKING YOU HAVE IT BAD BECAUSE I HAVE IT WORSE, EXCEPT THAT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I DON'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY THE GAME ANYWAY!!!"? 

Seriously, the fuck was the point of that?
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakJ
@JasonDaPsycho:  Oh god, how could that game have slipped our minds?! You sir have just helped me "win" our next Bad Game Night. A thousand thank yous!

*goes off to hunt for a Superman 64 cart*
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JakJ
@iAmJohn said:
" @Shirogane said:
" Lucky you? It ain't on ps3. Also, my family has no interest in consoles whatsoever, or gaming at all really. Except maybe the wii at times...  Also, the game isn't available in Australia as far as i know, so even if i wanted it, which i don't, i couldn't get it.  I don't like these kinda games. Except RE4, somehow that was ok... "
Is there some interesting point I'm missing here, or did you literally just decide to reply to some guy's post about how he wishes that he could play the game to say "WELL FUCK YOU FOR THINKING YOU HAVE IT BAD BECAUSE I HAVE IT WORSE, EXCEPT THAT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I DON'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY THE GAME ANYWAY!!!"?  Seriously, the fuck was the point of that? "
Seriously. I don't need that crap on my blog. Let's all keep it positive (or at least neutral) folks. If we can show love for DP and Superman 64, then there's no excuse to go negative.
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AltonBrown

DP is in my top 5 games this year so far. Not kidding.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By beargirl1
@Shirogane said:  "
Lucky you? It ain't on ps3
it isn't? wiki page says it is
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shirogane
@AjayRaz said:
" @Shirogane said:  "
it isn't? wiki page says it is "

Only a jap version is on ps3. Only English release is the 360 NA version as far as i can tell. That's what the first paragraph of the wiki says
 anyway.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JakJ
@AjayRaz said:
" @Shirogane said:  "
it isn't? wiki page says it is "
Only in Japan. It was released there after the NA release (weird huh?) and goes by the name Red Seeds Profile. We totally got the better name for once.
eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By eldiax
@Bigandtasty said:
" @JakJ said:
"but after ten minutes of DP she just said "No." "
*giggle* "
ZING!