#1 Edited by bluefish (570 posts) -

It feels so friggin good! Lots of improvements over the PS3 controller which to this day is unsatisfying in almost every way.

The PS4 controller is basically as light but feels much more sturdy. They put a textured plastic that covers the bottom half, it's not something I would have pin pointed but it was the first thing that struck me and it's of weirdly huge benefit to the controller. The thumbstick clicks feel basically the same but the R2 and L2 triggers now curve out (obviously) and have much more resistance and bounce back compared to the DS3. I didn't think to mess too much with R1 and L1 but they struck me as pretty similar to DS3, maybe a little more bouncy, kinda like the PS Vita shoulder buttons but with less of a cheap plastic feel.

Not sure if anyone cares at this point, but I was really impressed.

#2 Edited by PandaBear (1409 posts) -
#3 Posted by Nodima (1319 posts) -

Part of me is getting worried about most of the praising comments on this controller coming from people who hated the Dual Shock 3. I've felt like the Playstation controller was perfect from the days of the original, non-analog format. Any changes to it - and just physically speaking, Sony has made a lot of changes - worry me. I'm sure it's nothing, but each iteration of the controller has both remained true to the original design and incrementally improved something. And now suddenly the grips are new, the triggers are new, there's a touch screen, the d-pad is concave, the analog sticks are new...

Hopefully it's just a case of everyone finally getting what they want from this format, and another iteration on perfection for me.

#4 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1863 posts) -

Alright, biggest question from me:

Does the light bar turn on when it's plugged into a PC?

#5 Posted by bluefish (570 posts) -

@nodima: It's still very much as DS controller. I would say the sticks are better because the lids have some more texture but it's a small thing. They also have a little more tension which I personally like. I found the DS3 sticks pretty loosey goosey. It's so much in that the whole controller feels WAY tighter which I can't help but see universally as a good thing. I have the touch pad a feel and a press or two but it's basically disposable and one of those things that won't be used for anything outside of the first wave of games. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't... anything. I dunno, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

And come on, as much as there are things to like about the DS3 controller, the triggers are not it.

#6 Posted by bluefish (570 posts) -

@pandabear: That was a dumb write up. It just feel like a more honed dualshock controller, genre not withstanding.

#7 Edited by audioBusting (1663 posts) -

@nodima said:

Part of me is getting worried about most of the praising comments on this controller coming from people who hated the Dual Shock 3.

Same here. I like the Dual Shock 3 from the get-go (yes, even the triggers), and I only found out that everyone hated it when Sony did the PS4 announcement. I'm optimistic, though. At least it looks a lot less cheapo than the plastic-y DS3 (dat textured grip!)

The only downside to me so far is the all-digital face buttons. Although that was pretty much only used by Metal Gear Solid, I hope that doesn't change the feeling for the worse. How did the buttons feel @bluefish?

#8 Posted by bluefish (570 posts) -

@audiobusting: Honestly, I forgot to fiddle with the face buttons much. You would think that would be front and center wouldn't ya.

#9 Posted by bluefish (570 posts) -

@artelinarose: I don't know. I messed around with it in a PC-less environment.

#10 Posted by PandaBear (1409 posts) -

@bluefish said:

@pandabear: That was a dumb write up. It just feel like a more honed dualshock controller, genre not withstanding.

What's dumb about it? Sony consulted only an in-house studio who make driving games, therefore they made the inferior DualShock 3. This time around they spoke to a wider range of developers, including those making a bunch of different games and have now made a vastly superior controller.

#11 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

I need that controller in my hands now!

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1863 posts) -
#13 Edited by TheHT (11992 posts) -

You try it with a PS3? Apparently it works when wired. If it'll work with most games, I may just try to pick one up to use now. If you're able to fiddle around with it in a PC, please let us know how that is too!

I've been reading that Gamestops in Canada is where to go for em, so maybe I'll be in luck.

#14 Posted by Matt_F606 (323 posts) -

I'm probably in the minority here but I was hoping they would have moved the left stick to where the d-pad is. It works well on the 360 and the only reason I can see that Sony have both sticks at the bottom of the controller is because the sticks where added during the life of the PS1 and were not used by many games when compared to games that were best played with the d-pad.

#15 Edited by development (2777 posts) -

I want someone to disassemble it. Anyone who's disassembled both a 360 controller and a PS3 controller to do some deep cleaning or to replace parts knows the Dualshock 3 is a fucking rat's nest compared to the 360 gamepad.

#16 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

To be honest, I always thought the the thumbsticks on Dualshock were better than on the Xbox but I just thought it was too small and I didn't like the shape. What I'm hearing about the 4 is wicked but I'll wait until I try out both the XONE and PS4 controller!

#17 Posted by Xeiphyer (5615 posts) -

Looks like a nice sturdy piece of kit, I'm excited to mess around with it once it comes out. I should actually probably order a second one to replace my DS3 for PC gaming...

Oh also, has anyone heard if its getting official support on PC this time around? I could have sworn I read that but now i'm not that sure.

#18 Edited by TobbRobb (4881 posts) -

I need to know, does it feel like you changed the way you grip the controller? For me the 360 pad is a fullpalm thing while DS3 is more of a claw grip. I'd be really sad to see the claw grip go away on DS4.

#19 Edited by Yummylee (22666 posts) -

I'm always surprised by how many people apparently hate the DS3, specifically the triggers, as I've never had any problems with it. I most definitely prefer the 360 pad mind you, but I've never been opposed to the PS3 one or anything.

#20 Posted by TobbRobb (4881 posts) -

@yummylee: As someone who vastly prefers the DS3 pad in basically any situation. Those triggers are complete garbage. They are weirdly tense, you need to exert an amount of force unfitting for how flimsy and slippery they feel.

#21 Edited by Tarsier (1078 posts) -

i hope it works well with PC

#22 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

She sounds good man, can't wait to try her next.

#23 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

@tarsier said:

i hope it works well with PC

seems to work not fine yet without doing anything but also depends on the game

#24 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@pandabear said:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81697/dualshock-3-designed-for-gran-turismo-dualshock-4-designed-for

Read that the other day... I'm sorry but that pretty fucking stupid. I'm glad this time around it's a bit more versatile. You're right, it does feel better... the games play better too. Moving with the left stick feels more precise now.

Whoever said DS3 was designed for a racing game is a liar, the worst thing you can do is to use the L2 and R2 as Break and Gas, because you need to hold that squishy-slippery thing for a long time and it is near impossible.

#25 Posted by mercutio123 (473 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: For GT5 they still used the face buttons for acceleration and breaking. That game is dumb.

#26 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior: For GT5 they still used the face buttons for acceleration and breaking. That game is dumb.

GT5 is awesome, and yes, by default it uses the face buttons. Because they knew the triggers sucked for racing games.

I platinumed GT5 using a combination of G25 and DS3 (using face buttons)

#27 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

I remember when DS3 had no rumble...Good times.

#28 Posted by bluefish (570 posts) -

@tobbrobb: You will be pleased :)

@yummylee said:

I'm always surprised by how many people apparently hate the DS3, specifically the triggers, as I've never had any problems with it. I most definitely prefer the 360 pad mind you, but I've never been opposed to the PS3 one or anything.

Saying I 'hate' the DS3 would be an overstatement. I've spent many an hour with the PS3 this gen and the controller does what you need it to. It just underwhelms at almost every turn. That doesn't stop me from playing Uncharted 2 over and over and over.

#29 Posted by mikey87144 (1808 posts) -

Having it work great on PS3 might get me to play it more than I was planning on. Still have a couple of games I would like to beat.

#30 Posted by TobbRobb (4881 posts) -

@bluefish: I'll hold you to that statement! :D

I'm actually seriously considering picking up one of these without the console for PC/ "PS3?" use until PS4 games start coming out. It really looks like it is going to solve my problems with the 360 or DS3 pads at the same time.

#31 Posted by SomeJerk (3451 posts) -

Most people who had problems with the DS3 were ones holding it extremely incorrectly, trying to control it with the middle of their thumbs and raging over how their thumbs smash into each other.

Then came the people with mutated limbs, who favour the Nintendo GameCube layout of sticks and buttons.

#32 Posted by chiablo (1010 posts) -

@somejerk said:

Most people who had problems with the DS3 were ones holding it extremely incorrectly, trying to control it with the middle of their thumbs and raging over how their thumbs smash into each other.

Then came the people with mutated limbs, who favour the Nintendo GameCube layout of sticks and buttons.

If you have to be told how to use a controller because people are having a problem using it properly, then there is something wrong with the layout of that controller.

#33 Posted by RazielCuts (2997 posts) -

I can't quite remember, have they taken Six-axis out? I was just wondering with the announcement last week of Flower for the PS4 how would you play it without Six-axis? Unless you need the added camera to play it so it can track the controller movements with the light bar? I think it would lose a lot if you had to play Flower with analog sticks.

#34 Posted by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

I got my hands on the hands holding the ps4 controller.

#35 Posted by SomeJerk (3451 posts) -

@chiablo said:

@somejerk said:

If you have to be told how to use a controller because people are having a problem using it properly, then there is something wrong with the layout of that controller.

[gif image of animals playing with "put shape through identical-shape hole" toys successfully, gif image of human child trying to jam cube shape into star shaped hole, giving up after a few tries, opening the lid and putting it down into the box and bypassing the hole]

#36 Posted by Slippy4475 (10 posts) -

They removed Pressure sensitive buttons.

#37 Edited by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

@slippy4475: About time.

#38 Posted by Sergio (2320 posts) -
#39 Edited by PandaBear (1409 posts) -

@pandabear said:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81697/dualshock-3-designed-for-gran-turismo-dualshock-4-designed-for

Read that the other day... I'm sorry but that pretty fucking stupid. I'm glad this time around it's a bit more versatile. You're right, it does feel better... the games play better too. Moving with the left stick feels more precise now.

Whoever said DS3 was designed for a racing game is a liar, the worst thing you can do is to use the L2 and R2 as Break and Gas, because you need to hold that squishy-slippery thing for a long time and it is near impossible.

"DualShock 3 became really light because of the feedback from the Gran Turismo team," Sony's Toshimasa Aoki said. "Since they use it for steering, if it's too stiff, when you're going back and forth a lot, you get tired, so they wanted to make it lighter."

I doubt the man who designed the PS4 controller is a lying about the design of the PS3 controller.

#40 Posted by SSully (4402 posts) -

The DS3 has always had rumble.

#41 Posted by Korwin (3107 posts) -

@ssully said:

@jimmyfenix said:

The DS3 has always had rumble.

Semantics :P

#42 Posted by jasbir (107 posts) -

Nothing can beat the Xbox One controller.