just call them wizards

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If we just used the same name all the time it'd get boring. I like that we have a variety of names for the "wizard" character.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeldh

Magical men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By scarace360

You know what. I hate it when people blame healers. You know who you are.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Why did I expect to see a blog with a few paragraphs explaining why the OP hates mages?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By cookiemonster

i hate cereal 

Discuss.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I hate the blue mage.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I hate Aes Sedai.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fontan
@Axxol said:
"Why did I expect to see a blog with a few paragraphs explaining why the OP hates mages? "

Same here. I was actually disappointed and already making up some counter-arguments.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By shiftymagician
@chrissedoff said:
" just call them wizards "
...wizz...z.z.zz.aeearr...rraaagh I can't do it.  Sorry man.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog
@Fontan said:
" @Axxol said:
"Why did I expect to see a blog with a few paragraphs explaining why the OP hates mages? "
Same here. I was actually disappointed and already making up some counter-arguments. "
Yeah. Blog did NOT deliver.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

I hate vans.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust

I always liked the term "sorcerer".  "Enchanter" is pretty good, too but I tend to think of it as someone who modifies magical items and uses those items rather than a regular spellcaster.  Oh, that's good, too; "spellcaster".  The worst descriptive is probably the old D&D one, "magic-user".  I don't mind "mage" but these days when I hear "wizard" I think of Harry Potter or (!?) "Wizards of Waverly Place".    

@scarace360 said:

" You know what. I hate it when people blame healers. You know who you are. "
I agree...everyone knows you always blame the tank first! ;-) 
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Red

Wizard implies a beard. Mage does not.  
@PenguinDust:  
Since the Tank is usually the leader of a party, the healer is blamed first. However, if you have a hunter or a ninja, they also have a good chance of getting blamed.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By scarace360
@PenguinDust said:
" I always liked the term "sorcerer".  "Enchanter" is pretty good, too but I tend to think of it as someone who modifies magical items and uses those items rather than a regular spellcaster.  Oh, that's good, too; "spellcaster".  The worst descriptive is probably the old D&D one, "magic-user".  I don't mind "mage" but these days when I hear "wizard" I think of Harry Potter or (!?) "Wizards of Waverly Place".    

@scarace360 said:
I agree...everyone knows you always blame the tank first! ;-)  "
Why is it that the two classes i play get blamed for everything?
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious

I hate mondays. Seriously.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust
@Red:  Ha-ha, yeah Hunter's pet get's blamed for drawing aggro...I've seen that more than once. 

@scarace360:  You should play DPS.  There's usually so damned many of them, that if it is a DPS shortage, you can always point the finger at the next guy.  The perfect crime! 

(As a side note, when I did play I was primarily a healer myself although I did try bear-tanking for a bit, too on an Alt.)
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By endaround
@Scooper said:
" I hate vans. "
See I hate mages airbrushed on the side of vans
sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'm leveling a mage now.  Started before patch 4.0 so the massive changes didn't mess me up too much.  So happy I can port to any capital city at 24.  With my two heirlooms, I'm leveling up damn fast.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463
@Axxol said:

" Why did I expect to see a blog with a few paragraphs explaining why the OP hates mages? "

Because you are still young an naive about the intelligence of the average Giant Bomb poster. Many can not seem to form a thought longer then a sentence without getting brain hurts and needing to lay down for a few hours.
management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By management
@GunslingerPanda said:
" I hate Aes Sedai. "
Dude, those fucking Aes Sedai and their colors.
ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ToxicAntidote

I'm gonna do something I usually don't, because right now I just don't care about explaining it over and over again. I'm talking about copy/paste a full text found through a quick google search. 
Enjoy!

A mage (plural mages), or magus in archaic form (plural magi) is a person who is knowledgeable in the magical arts. They can be of any race, but in human usage the term commonly refers to humans. Mage is a blanket term for magic users of any power or field, though the ability to cast spells is deemed a defining requirement. In professional circles, "Mage" is an official title for a person who has passed Mage Apprenticeship.

A wizard is a person that is aware of his or her surroundings and is able to control the environment with a mere thought. This person usually has a great deal of understanding of how things in this world operate, how people think and act, and how to comminicate on all levels with people and animals. Wizards are spiritual in their own way. They seem to be at peace with themselves, and they do not entertain immaturity. Yet they have a great deal of patience. Wizards are usually solitary because of how rare they are. If you know a Wizard, you will know that they are respectful, honorable, and compassionate and are a fountain of useful information. Feel fortunate if you happen to meet a true Wizard.

Warlocks are, among historic Christian traditions, said to be the male equivalent of witches. Likewise, in traditional Scottish witchcraft warlock was and is simply the term used for a wizard, or male witch. Many practitioners of the modern religion of Wicca do not use the word warlock to identify or self-identify, as explained by Wren Walker (1999), who states that "...self-identifying Wiccans consider it a pejorative term, meaning "oath-breaker." In some forms of Traditional Satanism, possibly with its strong association to counter-cultural "shock value," the term "warlock" is also embraced and employed as the primary title for a male member of the group.

The Sorcerer is characterized by an inherent need to explore the deepest, darkest parts of his or her self. Few are willing to do so, and even fewer can readily accept what they find when delving into the hidden regions of their own psyche. The Sorcerer, however, finds the pain and effort to be well worth it. The realization of one’s primal desires, obscure passions, and emotionality brings great power, and raw power is what a sorcerer strives for. As such, most Sorcerers adopt an aggressive stance in their magical works. They tend to ignore whether or not they use their power for “good” or “evil” , and often dismiss such concepts from their lives altogether.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunslingerPanda
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360
@PenguinDust said:
" @Red:  Ha-ha, yeah Hunter's pet get's blamed for drawing aggro...I've seen that more than once. 

@scarace360:  You should play DPS.  There's usually so damned many of them, that if it is a DPS shortage, you can always point the finger at the next guy.  The perfect crime!  (As a side note, when I did play I was primarily a healer myself although I did try bear-tanking for a bit, too on an Alt.) "
Thats an asshole move.
rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rentfn

Last night I was playing wow and bunch of people were talking about how they hate Mages because they are charging for Portals. I always sold portals it's a way to make money. If they give your class a skill why not use it.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ignor

Can't do that in the Heroes of Might & Magic games, where Wizard is a hero-type and Mage is a unit-type.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Choi
@valrog said:
" @Fontan said:
" @Axxol said:
Same here. I was actually disappointed and already making up some counter-arguments. "
Yeah. Blog did NOT deliver. "
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Brendan
@Fontan said:
"@Axxol said:

How can you make counter-arguments without hearing the arguments first?  That makes no sense. 
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Noodles

i hate wizards

just call them mages

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Lu Lu from FFX and morrigan could be considered a mage, or wyne. So calling them a wizard wouldn't work, so you call them a mage.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust
@rentfn said:
" Last night I was playing wow and bunch of people were talking about how they hate Mages because they are charging for Portals. I always sold portals it's a way to make money. If they give your class a skill why not use it. "
Depends on how much you charge. but free is just stupid because you then have to pay mats yourself and that can get rather pricey.  Also, if you've got to come to them or they make you wait around, then that adds to the price, too.  
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cookiemonster

And this thread just keeps on trucking.

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Xakura
@GunslingerPanda:
Indeed, stupid self-important nuns..
management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By management
@GunslingerPanda said:
" @Management said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" I hate Aes Sedai. "
Dude, those fucking Aes Sedai and their colors. "
I know, right?

"
They started out strong for me but after a while I found out that they were the worst kind of witches/mages ever.
Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fontan
@Brendan: I can think of the many reasons why I don't hate mages and use them as base for my arguments. Upon reading the post I could combine what I read with what I know and formulate upon it.  No secret there, really, is there? 

Also, I was merely trying to convey the disappointment in reading what I unfortunately read.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By melcene
@chrissedoff said:

" just call them wizards "

Why call them the same thing when they aren't necessarily? 

I remember in EQ, we had both Mages and Wizards.  Mages were a pet class (elemental type pets) and conjurers.  Wizards were just about pure nukers. 

Also, 

@PenguinDust said:
" @rentfn said:
" Last night I was playing wow and bunch of people were talking about how they hate Mages because they are charging for Portals. I always sold portals it's a way to make money. If they give your class a skill why not use it. "
Depends on how much you charge. but free is just stupid because you then have to pay mats yourself and that can get rather pricey.  Also, if you've got to come to them or they make you wait around, then that adds to the price, too.   "
I don't see why people would get pissed at mages.  Even when Dal and Shatt had all their portals, if people wanted a port somewhere, they nearly always tipped.  Personally I don't charge.  I just let people tip because some people tip very well and others don't... but it all evens out.  Although I did tell my husband yesterday that we should start our own guild named Dalaran Portal Company and we should open portals in Dal where the old ones used to be.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ragdrazi

I hate lunch.

Seriously. Fuck lunch.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By TheHBK

Magic, mage.  Also, its less confusing than the whole men are wizards and women are witches thing.  Wizards sounds gay too.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Arbie
@scarace360 said:
I agree with this comment!

And I don't see anything wrong with mages. =[
Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bogitt

Magi/Magus :P

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I hate Pauly Shore.
JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By JoMu

When I was younger, I didn't know how to say Mage correctly. I thought that since they use magic it was pronounced the same way but without the -ic at then end. Some kid at school heard me say it wrong one day and started laughing at me about it. So, I kicked his ass. It was real easy too since he was only wearing cloth.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By scarace360
@Erzs said:
" @scarace360 said:
I agree with this comment!  And I don't see anything wrong with mages. =[ "
Thank you someone else agrees that you shouldnt blame healers. Where people too.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chrissedoff
@Noodles: fuck you mage
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aronman789

IT'S MAGUS GODDAMMIT

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spoonman671

I could definitely mock this thread for it's brevity, but I agree too strongly with the OP to do that.

I don't want to play a mage!  I want to be a fucking wizard!  I want a pointy, wide-brimmed hat, and a long-ass beard!  If your game engine does not allow for good-looking beards, then remove all magic from your stupid game, which will be stupid due to lack of wizard!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
@scarace360 said:

I'm a healer, somebody blames me for something that wasn't my fault simply because I'm the healer, you know whats going to happen? They are going to mysteriously die during the next fight.