Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Now updated with my 40th game.

I wanted to wait until I finished my 40th game, you know to make it even, but I was just to pumped when I took a step back and just looked at all of these games I beat this year! I don't know if thats a lot of games in comparison to the rest of you, but I think that 39 is a fantastic number compared to me last year where I think I managed about 10-15. This year for me was all about the backlog, I have a staggering 130+ PS3 games that I haven't touched, so I said to myself "Self, I should play some of these untouched games! So thats what I started after Christmas last year, on Boxing day I sat through and finished Star Wars the Force Unleashed, then worked my way on to Brutal Legend, well, here it is.

1. Brütal Legend

This was a fantastic first game to beat this year, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was sat on my shelf for a year and I finally got round to it this year, I loved the RTS style missions and the soundtrack was great. Although I had a terrible time on the last mission in the game, it took me a day to beat it which ultimately made the end experience not as good. 4/5

2. Killzone 3

It was a fun game, it wasn't an amazing game and I didn't really touch the multiplayer, but it looks nice and plays nice. 4/5

3. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

This was a simple weekend game, very simple mechanics but don't let that make you think it's a bad thing, loved my time with it. 4/5

4. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Now this is probbaly the coolest HD Collection you can get, love me some Metal Gear Solid! 5/5

5. The Darkness II

I was surprised this was happening, I mean I personally enjoyed the first Darkness but I assumed nobody else did due to the lack of a sequel. But here we are 2012 and we have a Darkness game, I am happy to say I had a great time with it. It was kinda short and at times very hard, but it had a nice style and I enjoyed the gameplay and Mike Patton was back in action! 4/5

6. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

YO FIFTY! 3/5

7. Journey

flOw was one of the first PSN games I got, I was one of the people that liked flOw. Then Flower came out and I really liked that too and knew I had found a company I could follow. Journey came out and man it blew me away, I was speechless during the end scene and I really felt then it was one of the best games I had ever played. 5/5

8. Mass Effect 3

I had the ending spoiled to me from my sister who beat it before me, but despite that I still was happy playing through the game and was satisfied with the ending, I didn't get all in a huff over it, just accepted it. 5/5

9. Driver: San Francisco

It has a slow start but when it ramps up it ramps the fuck up, and how about that boss battle! 4/5

10. Darksiders

I've never been a huge fan of Zelda games, but Darksiders really does improve a lot of the little things that Zelda does poorly, got me excited for Darksiders 2. 4/5

11. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Not as good as the original and it felt like nothing really happened, I don't think the first one really needed a sequel. 2/5

12. Vanquish

Another weekend game, I did burn out on the game towards the end and I really thought they could have used a few new environments but all in all nice simple game. 3/5

13. Twisted Metal

I never played the original games but was glad I took the risk as I enjoyed myself with both the single player and multiplayer. 4/5

14. Grand Theft Auto IV

So I never beat this when it came out, I spent far to much time on the multuplayer and never got past the first two missions. The driving really put me off and I just never played it. I decided I should just play through it this year because I want to play the next on, so I buckled down and spent a good few weeks playing through it. I feel bad now that I never gave it a chance before, I had a good time. 4/5

15. Minecraft

I beat that fucking dragon! 5/5

16. Max Payne 3

Some people seem to not like this game, but screw them I really had a good time with this game. I hadn't even played any of the original games and I still loved this game. 5/5

17. Asura's Wrath

You should play this game! 5/5

18. Syndicate

Had a good time with it, liked the chip mechanics and the sound was great as were the visuals. Story didn't really grab me and I had no idea what was going on up until I met that girl at the end of the game. 4/5

19. Sorcery

A game that I really enjoyed and a game that I doubt anybody else will ever play, such a shame. 4/5

20. Prince of Persia

Totally not what I was expecting, despite a few frustrating parts was pleasantly surprised at the good mixture of combat, platforming and story. 4/5

21. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

I have done everything in this game, all trophies, so there I justify putting this on the list. I was very surprised at just how much I enjoyed this game, I'm also surprised at how much I like this to Mortal Kombat, it's just so much quicker its crazy. Oh and did I mention it's free? 5/5

22. Lollipop Chainsaw

Great art style, great soundtrack and has some outright insane parts, but the game was kind of boring to play and I really couldn't stand any of the characters aside from Nick, I also really didn't like any of the mini games. 2/5

23. Assassin's Creed

This was my first PS3 game, however I never got into it, only 5 years later do I find out how cool this game is. I was not really going to play this because everybody says its the worst one, but I really had a good time with it, the ending is also MGS2 style crazyness. 4/5

24. The Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2 was my favourite Spider-Man games, it was the essence of what made Spider-Man Spider-Man. The Amazing Spider-Man captured the web swinging. But really the combat wasn't all that and the story was kind of generic, also it feels like they got fake villains instead of the real deal. But man that web swinging! 3/5

25. Super Mario World

Now before everybody yells at me I have completed the GBA version countless times, but this is the first time I finished the SNES version. For the record this is the best Mario game. 5/5

26. Super Mario All-Stars

Super Mario Bros - I have never beaten this game before period, ok so yell at me, but I when I was in the mood for a Mario game I just played Mario 3 or Mario World. But I thought I really should beat this game, so I went ahead and beat it, only to discover the last world is the most frustrating gaming experiences I have ever faced. But it clearly still a fantastic game that holds up perfectly. Worth it in the end, fuck you Bowser! 5/5

27. Ratchet & Clank Collection

Three fantastic games, this would have easily been a 5, but the guys who did the port did a pretty bad job. Throughout all three games I came across multiple audio sync issues and weird graphical bugs. 3/5

28. Battlefield: Bad Company

I'm a little late to the party, but dude this game is sick! It is one of the best single player FPS games I have played in a long time. I didn't touch the multiplayer because I'd assume it would either be empty, or full of people who have been playing it for 4 years. Never the less it was such an amazing experience, I can't wait to jump into the sequel. 5/5

29. Rock Band Blitz

I beat all 25 songs included, one of the coolest rhythm games I have played, it's low low price also made it easier to enjoy the game. Instruments are so last year. 5/5

30. New Super Mario Bros. 2

Another one of these, when you stand back and compare it to other 2D platformers it is a well made platformer. But it's just kind of boring, they already did three of these before and another one coming out for the Wii U. The coin hook was cool at first, but around halfway through the game I realised I was never going to get to 1 million, so I ended up speed running through the rest of it. 3/5

31. Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs was not on my radar until it came out, I bought it and was totally blown away. I was sad to hear it did not sell well because so far its one of the best games I have played this year. It's combat is fantastic and makes a nice change to be focussed around hand to hand instead of guns. The only issue I had was that the story was at at times confusing, other than that I really enjoyed it. 5/5

32. Borderlands

Borderlands 2 arrived and it was supposedly very good, I never really played much of the original so thought I;d give it a try. This game is an absolutely fantastic game and I hate myself for not playing it sooner. Sure there really isn't much of a story here, but it more than makes up for that with its awesome style and gameplay. I ended up playing through pretty much all of the side missions, so I think I must have sunk about 30+ hours into the game. Now though, I don't want to play Borderlands 2 anytime soon! 5/5

33. Start the Party

I bought this for an upcoming party, it was only £4.99. Sure it had hardly any mini games and I played through every mini game in 10 minutes, it was £4.99. And for that much money I feel I got my moneys worth, but I would have hated to buy this at full price. 3/5

34. Borderlands 2

I was weak, I jumped straight into Borderlands 2. Its very similar to the first, but better in almost every way. 5/5

35. The Walking Dead

For Clementine. 5/5

36. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

It has a lot of flair and it's intro video is just outstanding, but the game itself isn't all that interesting to play as its main mechanic is not that fun. This game would be better if they would have just done the same as Super Smash Bros. 3/5

37. Call of Duty: Black Ops II

A return to form for the franchise, I was worried it would be another dull affair like lasts years Modern Warfare 3. But happily it gets back on track and is one of the more enjoyable First Person Shooters I have played this year. 5/5

38. Little Inferno

This game goes to Journey styles of originality and background plot, a fantastic adventure that is a fun ride the whole way through. Similar to Journey it also had a "OH SHIT" ending, if you have a Wii U this is the best experience you will find. 5/5

39. Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3 came out of the blue, I had no interest in this game what so ever. Then I watched the quick look and thought that looked kinda fun, so I picked it up and well. It turned out to be a 20 hours long fantastic game, the soundtrack was one of the high points with the hunting following shortly behind. Everybody else seems to have problems with the story, I think it tells the story of a man who wants to save his friends and will do whatever it takes to save them, but when its all said and done he is NOT a monster. 5/5

40. Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

I am a huge fan of the RAC series, I played the first three earlier this year via a broken HD collection. I didn't enjoy last years All 4 One, so I was wary about this years release. I'm happy to say its a fun although rather short game. It has a nice difficulty and a really fun multiplayer mode. But as I mentioned there are only 4 (5 if you count the tutorial) levels and it can be finished it about 3-4 hours if that. It looks nice though and the main villain reveal is pretty great. I just hope that next year they take a break and work on a classic Ratchet and Clank game for the following year. 4/5

So as you can see its a varied list, I suppose I have beaten more than 39 too because with the MGS + RAC HD Collections I beat all three of the included games. But hey, even so, fuck thats a lot of games. The 40th game will probably be New Super Mario Bros U because I'm almost done with it, I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish another game after that in time for game of the year. I mean it's been fun, powering through video games and having so many different experiences, but right now I just want to not think to hard and play some familiar games like Black Ops II and Minecraft.

A few highlights? Playing through Borderlands for the first time and then jumping straight into Borderlands 2 was a magical experience. Not once did I think "Man I'm tired of this, I want to play something else". I mean I literally finished Borderlands and then the next day went out and bought Borderlands 2. Beating Super Mario Bros for the first time was a lifetime goal I always wanted to complete, the last level was tough but I pulled through. Finally beating GTAIV was another achievement as was beating 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

In that case I will be posting my GOTY list and my 2012 awards on the 26th of December. I usually wait until the very last day of the year, but I'm working that day so fuck that shit. This year has been a good year for video games, I know many of you say that this year has been a rather dull year for games, well you know what I say to you!

#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Now updated with my 40th game.

I wanted to wait until I finished my 40th game, you know to make it even, but I was just to pumped when I took a step back and just looked at all of these games I beat this year! I don't know if thats a lot of games in comparison to the rest of you, but I think that 39 is a fantastic number compared to me last year where I think I managed about 10-15. This year for me was all about the backlog, I have a staggering 130+ PS3 games that I haven't touched, so I said to myself "Self, I should play some of these untouched games! So thats what I started after Christmas last year, on Boxing day I sat through and finished Star Wars the Force Unleashed, then worked my way on to Brutal Legend, well, here it is.

1. Brütal Legend

This was a fantastic first game to beat this year, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was sat on my shelf for a year and I finally got round to it this year, I loved the RTS style missions and the soundtrack was great. Although I had a terrible time on the last mission in the game, it took me a day to beat it which ultimately made the end experience not as good. 4/5

2. Killzone 3

It was a fun game, it wasn't an amazing game and I didn't really touch the multiplayer, but it looks nice and plays nice. 4/5

3. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

This was a simple weekend game, very simple mechanics but don't let that make you think it's a bad thing, loved my time with it. 4/5

4. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Now this is probbaly the coolest HD Collection you can get, love me some Metal Gear Solid! 5/5

5. The Darkness II

I was surprised this was happening, I mean I personally enjoyed the first Darkness but I assumed nobody else did due to the lack of a sequel. But here we are 2012 and we have a Darkness game, I am happy to say I had a great time with it. It was kinda short and at times very hard, but it had a nice style and I enjoyed the gameplay and Mike Patton was back in action! 4/5

6. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

YO FIFTY! 3/5

7. Journey

flOw was one of the first PSN games I got, I was one of the people that liked flOw. Then Flower came out and I really liked that too and knew I had found a company I could follow. Journey came out and man it blew me away, I was speechless during the end scene and I really felt then it was one of the best games I had ever played. 5/5

8. Mass Effect 3

I had the ending spoiled to me from my sister who beat it before me, but despite that I still was happy playing through the game and was satisfied with the ending, I didn't get all in a huff over it, just accepted it. 5/5

9. Driver: San Francisco

It has a slow start but when it ramps up it ramps the fuck up, and how about that boss battle! 4/5

10. Darksiders

I've never been a huge fan of Zelda games, but Darksiders really does improve a lot of the little things that Zelda does poorly, got me excited for Darksiders 2. 4/5

11. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Not as good as the original and it felt like nothing really happened, I don't think the first one really needed a sequel. 2/5

12. Vanquish

Another weekend game, I did burn out on the game towards the end and I really thought they could have used a few new environments but all in all nice simple game. 3/5

13. Twisted Metal

I never played the original games but was glad I took the risk as I enjoyed myself with both the single player and multiplayer. 4/5

14. Grand Theft Auto IV

So I never beat this when it came out, I spent far to much time on the multuplayer and never got past the first two missions. The driving really put me off and I just never played it. I decided I should just play through it this year because I want to play the next on, so I buckled down and spent a good few weeks playing through it. I feel bad now that I never gave it a chance before, I had a good time. 4/5

15. Minecraft

I beat that fucking dragon! 5/5

16. Max Payne 3

Some people seem to not like this game, but screw them I really had a good time with this game. I hadn't even played any of the original games and I still loved this game. 5/5

17. Asura's Wrath

You should play this game! 5/5

18. Syndicate

Had a good time with it, liked the chip mechanics and the sound was great as were the visuals. Story didn't really grab me and I had no idea what was going on up until I met that girl at the end of the game. 4/5

19. Sorcery

A game that I really enjoyed and a game that I doubt anybody else will ever play, such a shame. 4/5

20. Prince of Persia

Totally not what I was expecting, despite a few frustrating parts was pleasantly surprised at the good mixture of combat, platforming and story. 4/5

21. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

I have done everything in this game, all trophies, so there I justify putting this on the list. I was very surprised at just how much I enjoyed this game, I'm also surprised at how much I like this to Mortal Kombat, it's just so much quicker its crazy. Oh and did I mention it's free? 5/5

22. Lollipop Chainsaw

Great art style, great soundtrack and has some outright insane parts, but the game was kind of boring to play and I really couldn't stand any of the characters aside from Nick, I also really didn't like any of the mini games. 2/5

23. Assassin's Creed

This was my first PS3 game, however I never got into it, only 5 years later do I find out how cool this game is. I was not really going to play this because everybody says its the worst one, but I really had a good time with it, the ending is also MGS2 style crazyness. 4/5

24. The Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2 was my favourite Spider-Man games, it was the essence of what made Spider-Man Spider-Man. The Amazing Spider-Man captured the web swinging. But really the combat wasn't all that and the story was kind of generic, also it feels like they got fake villains instead of the real deal. But man that web swinging! 3/5

25. Super Mario World

Now before everybody yells at me I have completed the GBA version countless times, but this is the first time I finished the SNES version. For the record this is the best Mario game. 5/5

26. Super Mario All-Stars

Super Mario Bros - I have never beaten this game before period, ok so yell at me, but I when I was in the mood for a Mario game I just played Mario 3 or Mario World. But I thought I really should beat this game, so I went ahead and beat it, only to discover the last world is the most frustrating gaming experiences I have ever faced. But it clearly still a fantastic game that holds up perfectly. Worth it in the end, fuck you Bowser! 5/5

27. Ratchet & Clank Collection

Three fantastic games, this would have easily been a 5, but the guys who did the port did a pretty bad job. Throughout all three games I came across multiple audio sync issues and weird graphical bugs. 3/5

28. Battlefield: Bad Company

I'm a little late to the party, but dude this game is sick! It is one of the best single player FPS games I have played in a long time. I didn't touch the multiplayer because I'd assume it would either be empty, or full of people who have been playing it for 4 years. Never the less it was such an amazing experience, I can't wait to jump into the sequel. 5/5

29. Rock Band Blitz

I beat all 25 songs included, one of the coolest rhythm games I have played, it's low low price also made it easier to enjoy the game. Instruments are so last year. 5/5

30. New Super Mario Bros. 2

Another one of these, when you stand back and compare it to other 2D platformers it is a well made platformer. But it's just kind of boring, they already did three of these before and another one coming out for the Wii U. The coin hook was cool at first, but around halfway through the game I realised I was never going to get to 1 million, so I ended up speed running through the rest of it. 3/5

31. Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs was not on my radar until it came out, I bought it and was totally blown away. I was sad to hear it did not sell well because so far its one of the best games I have played this year. It's combat is fantastic and makes a nice change to be focussed around hand to hand instead of guns. The only issue I had was that the story was at at times confusing, other than that I really enjoyed it. 5/5

32. Borderlands

Borderlands 2 arrived and it was supposedly very good, I never really played much of the original so thought I;d give it a try. This game is an absolutely fantastic game and I hate myself for not playing it sooner. Sure there really isn't much of a story here, but it more than makes up for that with its awesome style and gameplay. I ended up playing through pretty much all of the side missions, so I think I must have sunk about 30+ hours into the game. Now though, I don't want to play Borderlands 2 anytime soon! 5/5

33. Start the Party

I bought this for an upcoming party, it was only £4.99. Sure it had hardly any mini games and I played through every mini game in 10 minutes, it was £4.99. And for that much money I feel I got my moneys worth, but I would have hated to buy this at full price. 3/5

34. Borderlands 2

I was weak, I jumped straight into Borderlands 2. Its very similar to the first, but better in almost every way. 5/5

35. The Walking Dead

For Clementine. 5/5

36. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

It has a lot of flair and it's intro video is just outstanding, but the game itself isn't all that interesting to play as its main mechanic is not that fun. This game would be better if they would have just done the same as Super Smash Bros. 3/5

37. Call of Duty: Black Ops II

A return to form for the franchise, I was worried it would be another dull affair like lasts years Modern Warfare 3. But happily it gets back on track and is one of the more enjoyable First Person Shooters I have played this year. 5/5

38. Little Inferno

This game goes to Journey styles of originality and background plot, a fantastic adventure that is a fun ride the whole way through. Similar to Journey it also had a "OH SHIT" ending, if you have a Wii U this is the best experience you will find. 5/5

39. Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3 came out of the blue, I had no interest in this game what so ever. Then I watched the quick look and thought that looked kinda fun, so I picked it up and well. It turned out to be a 20 hours long fantastic game, the soundtrack was one of the high points with the hunting following shortly behind. Everybody else seems to have problems with the story, I think it tells the story of a man who wants to save his friends and will do whatever it takes to save them, but when its all said and done he is NOT a monster. 5/5

I am a huge fan of the RAC series, I played the first three earlier this year via a broken HD collection. I didn't enjoy last years All 4 One, so I was wary about this years release. I'm happy to say its a fun although rather short game. It has a nice difficulty and a really fun multiplayer mode. But as I mentioned there are only 4 (5 if you count the tutorial) levels and it can be finished it about 3-4 hours if that. It looks nice though and the main villain reveal is pretty great. I just hope that next year they take a break and work on a classic Ratchet and Clank game for the following year. 4/5

So as you can see its a varied list, I suppose I have beaten more than 39 too because with the MGS + RAC HD Collections I beat all three of the included games. But hey, even so, fuck thats a lot of games. The 40th game will probably be New Super Mario Bros U because I'm almost done with it, I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish another game after that in time for game of the year. I mean it's been fun, powering through video games and having so many different experiences, but right now I just want to not think to hard and play some familiar games like Black Ops II and Minecraft.

A few highlights? Playing through Borderlands for the first time and then jumping straight into Borderlands 2 was a magical experience. Not once did I think "Man I'm tired of this, I want to play something else". I mean I literally finished Borderlands and then the next day went out and bought Borderlands 2. Beating Super Mario Bros for the first time was a lifetime goal I always wanted to complete, the last level was tough but I pulled through. Finally beating GTAIV was another achievement as was beating 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

In that case I will be posting my GOTY list and my 2012 awards on the 26th of December. I usually wait until the very last day of the year, but I'm working that day so fuck that shit. This year has been a good year for video games, I know many of you say that this year has been a rather dull year for games, well you know what I say to you!

#2 Posted by spat55 (32 posts) -

I was so looking forward to Far Cry 3 and I have to say it is 100% GOTY material, right up in the top 3 and f'k Black Ops 2 fanboys, the only decent thing on that is the zombies!

#3 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I havent had a gaming year like that since 2008, think I got like 25,000 achievements that year. And after 6 years of Xbox I have 60,000 so that was a busy year.

#4 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -

Pretty similar to my list. 38 games for me.  

Trying to make it to 40 before the New Year's. Playing Splinter Cell: Conviction right now, and I'm pretty close to the end with Super Meat Boy.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@spat55 Black Ops II is the best Call of Duty...
@BulletproofMonk You should make a blog about your 38 games!
#6 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -

I'd like to write something, but I have a lot of school work that needs to get done during the break, so I'd rather spend the free time I have playing games instead of writing about them.

#7 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

I'm still working on completing Far Cry 3. That will bring my total of completed games this year to 1.

Actually I beat ME3, forgot bout that lol.

I got close to finishing a couple of games, but I keep going back to Sc2 and forget about them.

#8 Edited by RedCream (705 posts) -

This list is enormous

#9 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

The more lists I see, the more I realize that I need to play Asura's Wrath and The Darkness 2.

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

You should go back and try Vanquish on God Hard; it's fair and balanced, for someone so prodigious as yourself no doubt a meager challenge.

#11 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

I had a great / good time with it !

#12 Edited by Bishna (334 posts) -

This is an awesome accomplishment. I think I maybe beat like 6 games this year. 2013 will be my year though. I am going to keep an ongoing list much like this one. Great list and writeup.

EDIT: Also there is not score for ME3, I assume it was 5/5.

#13 Posted by TehBuLL (612 posts) -

Damn duder, that's impressive! I have so many games I've put a couple hours into on Steam....and then they get replaced by others...I want a list like this. Next year I will make this happen. Thanks for the inspiration.

#14 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

It's like IGN ratings here since all I see is either 3/5 or 5/5.

#15 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

And how many of these games were beaten when you should have been babysitting?

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@FourWude said:

And how many of these games were beaten when you should have been babysitting?

All the video games!

#17 Posted by DeathByWaffle (636 posts) -

I've been keeping a record of all the games I've beaten since 2009 (I'm not sure why, I just am), and I managed to beat 20 games this year. Never gotten close to 39 games in a year, that's quite a bit!

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I have been keeping a list as well, but I stopped and started a few times and lost many games over the year. It's currently at 16, but I know I'm much higher. I just lost about 3/4 of the years tracking and can't remember that far back. I'm going to try really hard to keep on top of a list like that for 2013 as well as a list of all the games I buy, when I bought them, and for how much. Would be interesting to see how much I actually waste on games over the year.

#19 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

God damn it now I want to tally my list again... Now I'm at 19. Plus 150 hours put in Skyrim but not technically beaten it, didn't finish the main quest or civil war quest.

Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery EP could easily be #20. And still there's potential for more if I pick up Spec Ops play another short one.

EDIT: Oh, right! I totally beat World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck at some point as well. Make that 20 then.

#20 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I've finished...2?

#21 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

The great thing about being an adult who can buy the things I want, and games being easier on the whole, is I actually get to see the end of games more often. I think back to the five years I owned a NES, I can't think of more than about six games that I ever actually finished.

#22 Edited by beard_of_zeus (1687 posts) -

I just finished Halo 4 this afternoon, so I'm up to 117 for the year. Also, I am a crazy person, so there's that. I should...probably find other things to do. It's kinda been "eat, work, go to the gym, games, sleep" every day for me this year. And my love of music and podcasts got fit in with the work and gym and driving parts of my life. Being an adult is hectic!

#23 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus said:

I just finished Halo 4 this afternoon, so I'm up to 117 for the year. Also, I am a crazy person, so there's that. I should...probably find other things to do. It's kinda been "eat, work, go to the gym, games, sleep" every day for me this year.

Pics or it didn't happen.

#24 Edited by beard_of_zeus (1687 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@beard_of_zeus said:

I just finished Halo 4 this afternoon, so I'm up to 117 for the year. Also, I am a crazy person, so there's that. I should...probably find other things to do. It's kinda been "eat, work, go to the gym, games, sleep" every day for me this year.

I could give you a list...and then take a picture of it. Haha. I'm also going off of my Backloggery, so it's an approximate number, DLC and stuff like that gets counted separately, so if we are just talking individual games, it will be slightly smaller.

EDIT: Alright, here we goooooooooooo.

1. Mario Kart 7
  2. Nano Assault
  3. Trine 2
  4. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
  5. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
  6. Burnout Crash
  7. Duke Nukem Forever
  8. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
  9. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
  10. Warriors: Legends of Troy
  11. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  12. Wizorb
  13. Okamiden
  14. Lost in Shadow
  15. Fractal
  16. Mutant Mudds
  17. Darkness II
  18. Splatterhouse
  19. Warp
  20. Dillon's Rolling Western
  21. Rhythm Heaven Fever
  22. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  23. Syndicate
  24. Quarrel
  25. Journey
  26. Binary domain
  27. Sine Mora
  28. Yakuza: Dead Souls
  29. Mass Effect 3
  30. Closure
  31. Binding of Isaac
  32. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
  33. Trials Evolution
  34. Blocks That Matter
  35. Prototype
  36. Runespell: Overture
  37. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  38. Witcher 2
  39. Kane & Lynch 2
  40. Starhawk
  41. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
  42. Heavy Rain: The Taxidermist
  43. Kingdoms of Amalur
  44. Final Fight XBLA
  45. Akai Katana
  46. Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
  47. Asura's Wrath
  48. Anomaly: Warzone Earth
  49. Mario Tennis Open
  50. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
  51. Amazing Spider-Man
  52. Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars
  53. SSX
  54. Crush3D
  55. Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  56. Lollipop Chainsaw
  57. Sakura Samurai
  58. Sequence
  59. Crysis
  60. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
  61. Malicious
  62. X-Men Destiny
  63. Rhythm Thief & the Emporer's Treasure
  64. Persona 4 Arena
  65. Sound Shapes
  66. Sonic CD
  67. Lord of the Rings: War in the North
  68. Papo & Yo
  69. Retro/Grade
  70. New Super Mario Brothers 2
  71. Dust: An Elysian Tail
  72. Dyad
  73. To The Moon
  74. Penny Arcade Adventures 3
  75. Mark of the Ninja
  76. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  77. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  78. Prototype 2
  79. Shantae: Risky's Revenge
  80. Darksiders 2
  81. Final Fantasy IV
  82. Tokyo Jungle
  83. Lego Batman 2
  84. Ys: the Oath in Felghana
  85. The Unfinished Swan
  86. Dishonored
  87. Liberation Maiden
  88. Tales from Space: About a Blob
  89. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  90. Forza Horizon
  91. Halo CE: Anniversary
  92. Explosionade
  93. The Walking Dead
  94. Max Payne 3
  95. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!
  96. Spec Ops: The Line
  97. Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask
  98. Hell Yeah!
  99. Gateways
  100. I Am Alive
  101. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  102. Gravity Rush
  103. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
  104. Retro City Rampage
  105. Incredipede
  106. Halo 4

Phew! Alright, turned out to be 106 instead of 117. Since The Walking Dead was in 5 episodes, each one of those got counted separately. And I had some DLC that contributed to my initial estimate (for example, 3 pieces of Mass Effect 2 DLC, Asura's Wrath DLC, and some Saint's Row 3 DLC).

I guess I should make an official list on the site now, for posterity's sake, now that I figured it all out.

I'm on vacation for most of the rest of the year, so I'll see how many more I can squeeze in. Planning on finishing Fall of Cybertron tonight, then I dunno what I'll play next. Luckily I don't have a family to hang out with for Christmas or anything crazy like that :P

EDIT2: I totally made a list on the site. Check it!

#25 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

I would probably beat more games if I didn't do that thing where I get halfway through then take a break and never get back to it. I maybe beat 3 games this year, and none of those came out this year.

#26 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

That's a whole fucking load of games. I've beaten maybe 4. Played Runescape (for the past month) and League of Legends quite a bit, though.

#27 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@beard_of_zeus Did you honestly beat all of those? If so hot damn son!
#28 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

damn and i thought I played games a lot, I've only beaten 12 maybe? Good for you

#29 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Jesus christ, you beat a lot of games. Good on ya.

#30 Edited by beard_of_zeus (1687 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@beard_of_zeus Did you honestly beat all of those? If so hot damn son!

I'm honestly kind of surprised, myself. I know I play a lot of games, but fuck, that's a long list. I just looked back through it to double-check, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Admittedly, there's a lot of downloaded stuff that you can breeze through pretty quickly, though. A lot of 2-6 hour games, i.e., Liberation Maiden, Mutant Blobs, Journey, Retro/Grade, Malicious, etc. I dunno, there could be people who played way less games but spent more hours doing it. My gaming tendencies definitely sway towards playing a wide variety of games, rather than spending a lot of time on any given one. It's frustrating, since I enjoy me a good RPG/jRPG but they tend to be pretty long. I actually put in around 80 hours in Xenoblade Chronicles and loved it (which is why it's on my GOTY list), but didn't even finish it, haha.

EDIT: Just took a look at your list, seems like you got a good array of new and old played this year, which is nice. You reminded me that Rock Band Blitz was not on my list for some reason, but I definitely played a lot of that. I should also go finish up Sorcery, I picked that up on the cheap and ended up enjoying it. I got around halfway through, then moved this summer, and haven't bothered to dig out my Playstation Move stuff since then.

#31 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

77 games in 2012 for me.

#32 Posted by SSully (4189 posts) -

That's a pretty good list, a good year worth of games!

#33 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@SSully: Good year for games, no question.

#34 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1439 posts) -

Put down the controller and eat your spaghetti! JESUS!

#35 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i'm not in my prime anymore (high school) so I can't game as much as i used to. i'm either busy or just get a headache after 2-3 hours

so my list is probably around 5 that i've beat

#36 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

@Hizang: The best part of Killzone is the multiplayer and you didn't touch it! i'm still glad you enjoyed the game though, the campaign is pretty awesome

#37 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Im at 53 so far this year. I spend way too much time at the videogames.

#38 Posted by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

You don't beat games, you finish them.

#39 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

Congrats... I guess.

I think I might have beat one. Maybe not.

#40 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (579 posts) -

The fuck do you people do for a living?

#42 Edited by CooVee (148 posts) -
#43 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1704 posts) -

This isn't meant as a criticism of you personally, but I really think we need to retire the term "beat" to refer to finishing a game. Games have long since stopped being all about besting the CPU and more about simply experiencing he game. Again, not meant to criticize the OP (congrats on playing so many games BTW), just an observation that's been bugging me lately.

#44 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (579 posts) -

Whatever, its just semantics.

#45 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@Hippie_Genocide said:

The fuck do you people do for a living?

This is what I'm wondering. Especially:

@beard_of_zeus said:

@Hizang said:

@beard_of_zeus said:

I could give you a list...and then take a picture of it. Haha. I'm also going off of my Backloggery, so it's an approximate number, DLC and stuff like that gets counted separately, so if we are just talking individual games, it will be slightly smaller.

EDIT: Alright, here we goooooooooooo.

1. Mario Kart 7
  2. Nano Assault
  3. Trine 2
  4. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
  5. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
  6. Burnout Crash
  7. Duke Nukem Forever
  8. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
  9. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
  10. Warriors: Legends of Troy
  11. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  12. Wizorb
  13. Okamiden
  14. Lost in Shadow
  15. Fractal
  16. Mutant Mudds
  17. Darkness II
  18. Splatterhouse
  19. Warp
  20. Dillon's Rolling Western
  21. Rhythm Heaven Fever
  22. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  23. Syndicate
  24. Quarrel
  25. Journey
  26. Binary domain
  27. Sine Mora
  28. Yakuza: Dead Souls
  29. Mass Effect 3
  30. Closure
  31. Binding of Isaac
  32. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
  33. Trials Evolution
  34. Blocks That Matter
  35. Prototype
  36. Runespell: Overture
  37. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  38. Witcher 2
  39. Kane & Lynch 2
  40. Starhawk
  41. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
  42. Heavy Rain: The Taxidermist
  43. Kingdoms of Amalur
  44. Final Fight XBLA
  45. Akai Katana
  46. Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
  47. Asura's Wrath
  48. Anomaly: Warzone Earth
  49. Mario Tennis Open
  50. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
  51. Amazing Spider-Man
  52. Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars
  53. SSX
  54. Crush3D
  55. Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  56. Lollipop Chainsaw
  57. Sakura Samurai
  58. Sequence
  59. Crysis
  60. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
  61. Malicious
  62. X-Men Destiny
  63. Rhythm Thief & the Emporer's Treasure
  64. Persona 4 Arena
  65. Sound Shapes
  66. Sonic CD
  67. Lord of the Rings: War in the North
  68. Papo & Yo
  69. Retro/Grade
  70. New Super Mario Brothers 2
  71. Dust: An Elysian Tail
  72. Dyad
  73. To The Moon
  74. Penny Arcade Adventures 3
  75. Mark of the Ninja
  76. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  77. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  78. Prototype 2
  79. Shantae: Risky's Revenge
  80. Darksiders 2
  81. Final Fantasy IV
  82. Tokyo Jungle
  83. Lego Batman 2
  84. Ys: the Oath in Felghana
  85. The Unfinished Swan
  86. Dishonored
  87. Liberation Maiden
  88. Tales from Space: About a Blob
  89. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  90. Forza Horizon
  91. Halo CE: Anniversary
  92. Explosionade
  93. The Walking Dead
  94. Max Payne 3
  95. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!
  96. Spec Ops: The Line
  97. Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask
  98. Hell Yeah!
  99. Gateways
  100. I Am Alive
  101. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  102. Gravity Rush
  103. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
  104. Retro City Rampage
  105. Incredipede
  106. Halo 4

Phew! Alright, turned out to be 106 instead of 117. Since The Walking Dead was in 5 episodes, each one of those got counted separately. And I had some DLC that contributed to my initial estimate (for example, 3 pieces of Mass Effect 2 DLC, Asura's Wrath DLC, and some Saint's Row 3 DLC).

I guess I should make an official list on the site now, for posterity's sake, now that I figured it all out.

I'm on vacation for most of the rest of the year, so I'll see how many more I can squeeze in. Planning on finishing Fall of Cybertron tonight, then I dunno what I'll play next. Luckily I don't have a family to hang out with for Christmas or anything crazy like that :P

EDIT2: I totally made a list on the site. Check it!

This monster of a list. Now, I'd like to make myself clear - I can respect the hell out of this. I just don't quite understand how anyone could keep up a job and beat this many games. Hell, I have completed 16 thus far and plan on finishing one or two more, and I do a lot of gaming. Do you just commit to one game until you've gotten to the end or do you switch around games a whole lot?

#46 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@believer258: The only way to beat a lot of games is to do one at a time, in past years I jumped between games eventually jumping between to many so I forgot to finish loads of other games. This year I pretty much played one game and then moved on to the next one.

#47 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1687 posts) -
@believer258 I generally have one game at a time on eachsystem that I'll be playing, any more than that and games start getting half-completed. And yes, I do hold down a proper 40 hour a week programming job like a responsible adult, haha. I'm not sure if I would call spending all my free time playing games respectable, per se, I should probably cut back a bit honestly. Kinda baffled at how I had enough time to play all those.
#48 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Updated now with my 40th game!

I am a huge fan of the RAC series, I played the first three earlier this year via a broken HD collection. I didn't enjoy last years All 4 One, so I was wary about this years release. I'm happy to say its a fun although rather short game. It has a nice difficulty and a really fun multiplayer mode. But as I mentioned there are only 4 (5 if you count the tutorial) levels and it can be finished it about 3-4 hours if that. It looks nice though and the main villain reveal is pretty great. I just hope that next year they take a break and work on a classic Ratchet and Clank game for the following year. 3/5