I have MGS4, but I have never played an MGS game.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By JB16

I just bought MGS 4 but I was wondering if I should play it now or if I should buy the older games and play them first. I really wanna play it now, but I don't want to play the story if I'm just going to be lost the entire time.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Isn't there an extensive MGS encyclopedia that help people fill in the story before MGS4? I remember it being mentioned in a bombcast around the game's release.

Perhaps you should read about the first 2 and play the last 2. MGS3 is pretty adored and may be worth patiently shelving MGS4 for.

ky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By ky326

I had the same problem as you. I just watched walkthroughs of the other MGS games on youtube. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

If you dont mind the dated graphics, I would fully recommend playing the original 3 games. It adds SOO much to MGS4 that you just cant get from reading the encyclopedia. Not even just story facts, but subtle nods to the past games will go right over your head if you dont. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shirogane

MGS3 is the best MGS game in my opinion. So you should at least play that one. Although without knowledge of the storylines and characters, a lot of the stuff in MGS isn't quite as awesome. One whole act of MGS4 is essentially a fanservice act really. A damn awesome one at that.
Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SomethingClever

Honestly, I think you can enjoy 4 without really having any knowledge of the previous games.  Sure there are plenty of references and things that would be more powerful if you experienced them but in the end those games all go off the rails crazy with the story anyway.  I think you could just dive right in and still have plenty of enjoyment playing.  Just know that a lot of wacky things happened and a lot more continue to happen.  It's pretty hard to keep track of it all if you aren't a die hard fan of the series. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

If you don't play the other games, at least download the MGS Database off of the PSN store.  The details help fill in the gaps, and the MGS4 spoilers are blotted out until you've beaten the game.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By inkeiren

Just play the other games. MGS1 is one of the most important games of all time, and MGS3 has one of the best stories of any game ever made. And yes, to fully appreciate MGS4 you must play at least MGS1 and 3. I would recommend also playing MGS2, but you could just read up about what happened or watch a video walkthrough.

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IceOrb

At the very least you absolutely must play MGS3. 

Not knowing who Big Boss is will leave you very lost for a good portion of the story. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By apathylad

Oh, man. The story won't make any sense to you. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

really all you should do is mute all the long wordy straight exposition cutscenes (the shorter cutscenes you should watch since they usually have a point to them, as in explaining) and then just play the game, because really the story in MGS4 is one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inkeiren

In early 2010 I played MGS1, 2, 3, and 4. I am so glad I did. Previously I had never played even a second of the MGS series. I can say without a doubt now that it is my favorite video game series of all time.
@Laketown said:

" really all you should do is mute all the long wordy straight exposition cutscenes (the shorter cutscenes you should watch since they usually have a point to them, as in explaining) and then just play the game, because really the story in MGS4 is one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen. "

Spoilers kinda:
I have a hard time understanding how anyone couldn't find the scene at the end with Meryl to be fantastic. Or the hallway sequence. Or Raiden and Vamp fighting. The quality of the animation in that scene is just insane.
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quacktastic

If you play the other 3 games, 4 will be a lot better for it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Animasta
@inkeiren said:
" In early 2010 I played MGS1, 2, 3, and 4. I am so glad I did. Previously I had never played even a second of the MGS series. I can say without a doubt now that it is my favorite video game series of all time.
@Laketown said:
" really all you should do is mute all the long wordy straight exposition cutscenes (the shorter cutscenes you should watch since they usually have a point to them, as in explaining) and then just play the game, because really the story in MGS4 is one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen. "
Spoilers kinda: I have a hard time understanding how anyone couldn't find the scene at the end with Meryl to be fantastic. Or the hallway sequence. Or Raiden and Vamp fighting. The quality of the animation in that scene is just insane. "
some of the setpieces are really good, but if you expect me to say that those stupid ass 20-25 minute cutscenes of straight exposition about nanomachines and that other bullshit are interesting...
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inkeiren
@Laketown said:

" @inkeiren said:

" In early 2010 I played MGS1, 2, 3, and 4. I am so glad I did. Previously I had never played even a second of the MGS series. I can say without a doubt now that it is my favorite video game series of all time.

@Laketown

said:
Spoilers kinda: I have a hard time understanding how anyone couldn't find the scene at the end with Meryl to be fantastic. Or the hallway sequence. Or Raiden and Vamp fighting. The quality of the animation in that scene is just insane. "
some of the setpieces are really good, but if you expect me to say that those stupid ass 20-25 minute cutscenes of straight exposition about nanomachines and that other bullshit are interesting... "
I don't expect you to say the exposition about nanomachines is interesting, I'm just willing to bet you are reasonable enough to admit that some of the setpieces are really good. And you did :)

Edit: I said Meryl, I meant to say Naomi. Urrrrrgh. The scene at the end with Meryl is not so great. The scene with Naomi at the end is, well, great.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bones8677

I'm playing the original games before diving into MGS4. I'm still in MGS1 at Sniper Wolf. It's gonna be a good long while before I get to MGS4.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Clinkz

Play them all sir they are only 8-13 hours tops.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lego_my_eggo

i say buy this and hold off on MGS4. the metal gear series is very unique and well done. they have some of the most memorable boss fights i have ever played, and they have a crazy mix of japanese humor and american movie action. so long as you don't mind the long cut scenes and can get used to the controls, there is no reason you shouldn't play all these games.

and as others have said, MGS4 has alot of throwbacks to the older games, with a VERY complex story that would be hard to follow without playing the old games.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By landon

Playing MGS4 without playing the the previous games is like saying "I'm planning to watch Lost, I'm starting on the 5th season".

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Playing MGS4 without having played a previous MGS is like starting off the Die Hard series with Live Free or Die Hard . 
It's like watching Episodes I,II, and III before ever seeing IV, V, and VI. 
It's like jerking off to food.com. 
it's like peeling off the crust on a sandwich and eating that first. 

thats all i can think of.
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Organicalistic_
@JB16: i would suggest playing them all, my fav is mgs3, followed by 2 then 1, 4 is my least favorite
PushThePig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PushThePig
@odintal said:
" Playing MGS4 without having played a previous MGS is like starting off the Die Hard series with Live Free or Die Hard .  
As far as I am concerned this thread is over lol. Perfect analogy for me.
lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By lmenzol

MGS1 was the best one. play 1 if you can find it ( i still have it) skip 2 and play 3