I have never seen a person playing a handheld in public.

• 54 results
Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I dunno if it's just my city or what, but in my entire life I have never seen any person besides like 5 year olds with a DS using any kind of handheld. Everybody is just on their phones.

It makes me feel awkward if I use mine. Do you usually see people playing things?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No but I know they're out there because I rack up streetpasses on the bus.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I do sometimes. That kind of environment is the last place I want to play a game though

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen kids playing theirs at malls every now and then. The only other instance I can think of was when I was visiting the UK last month - I was on a coach to Bristol from Cardiff and there was a man in a Chicago Bulls cap playing something on a 2DS. I think I racked up more streetpasses in the three weeks I was in the UK than I have the entire rest of the time I've owned a 3DS.

Personally, I don't really play it when I'm out, but if I'm out I'm either driving or with someone, so I don't have much occasion to.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I've seen people playing handhelds out in public. They tend to be a certain type of person though. Not meant to sound as derisive as it did.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By egg

I've seen a guy playing 3DS on a subway, and while waiting on line at the post office. I think the former was an aqua blue 3DS, and the latter was a red one and he was using ear buds. I also saw two different people playing PSP on the subway long ago. I've also seen people using original DS/Lite/DSi back during its heyday, probably many times. Also, someone was using PSP at the laundromat once.

I'm only counting grownups or older kids/teenagers.

I used to do it, even with PSP despite PSP being not that portable, but nowadays I game exclusively at home so I'm surprised whenever I see anyone doing it now that we've entered the smartphone era. That one guy with PSP surprised me since he didn't have any coat or bag with him, so maybe *he* is that guy in internet gaming forums who says his PSP fits inside jeans pockets just fine and everyone who disagrees obviously must have small pockets or something. -_-

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I have seen it a few times but not very much either. And I think it's only been kids.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once saw a woman on a bus using a DS Lite, but she was using a fork as a stylus.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see people play on a form of DS ot 3DS all the time at the airport. I saw a PSP once my entire life and never a Vita.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By seemah

I fly about ten times a year and my vita is always on during those flights. I have yet to see another vita in the sky.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I'm pretty sure I've seen people, particularly young adult people, playing handhelds in public. I can't recall a specific instance though. What I can recall are several instances of people playing on their laptops in public and it registering in my brain as weird, since they always had bigger laptops than I'd expect someone to carry around and most of them were playing World of Warcraft.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Justin258

@egg said:

I've seen a guy playing 3DS on a subway, and while waiting on line at the post office. I think the former was an aqua blue 3DS, and the latter was a red one and he was using ear buds. I also saw two different people playing PSP on the subway long ago. I've also seen people using original DS/Lite/DSi back during its heyday, probably many times. Also, someone was using PSP at the laundromat once.

I'm only counting grownups or older kids/teenagers.

I used to do it, even with PSP despite PSP being not that portable, but nowadays I game exclusively at home so I'm surprised whenever I see anyone doing it now that we've entered the smartphone era. That one guy with PSP surprised me since he didn't have any coat or bag with him, so maybe *he* is that guy in internet gaming forums who says his PSP fits inside jeans pockets just fine and everyone who disagrees obviously must have small pockets or something. -_-

My PSVita fits in my jeans pockets (not that I ever actually leave it there). You must have small pockets or something.

Come to think of it, no, I really haven't. In this era of smartphone gaming, I don't really see a need to. Handhelds occupy a really weird space - the games they offer are obviously smaller in scale and production values than console games, but they're still not quite made for 5 minute pick up and play sessions. I mean, there are games where you can do that, but my phone does super quick gaming bursts better than my 3DS or Vita.

Nothing quite beats being able to take games that you could play for hours anywhere, though.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CreepingDeath0

While I rarely actually SEE anyone playing one, every weekend I go out I get the max 10 street passes on my 3DS. When I go to do grocery shopping just up the road I usually get 2 or 3. Only ever streetpassed the same person... twice? So there are definitely people out and about with them.

This is in the UK.

Edit: I don't see people gaming on their phones either. None of this stops me from playing games when I'm on a long train ride.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brendan

Not so much anymore; I used to see handhelds a lot more 5-7 years ago. Phones have really eaten into the handheld market share though.If I was a parent I would get a handheld for my kid, because all I hear about when I'm out is kids whining at their parents to let them play a game on the phone.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never come across someone no, at least not that I remember. Then again I am rarely in a place where I might see that happening, I'm hardly ever on the bus where I imagine more people might do so or... I don't know... a park or something? If I'm out and about I'm usually somewhere people would be walking or in a store or something so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in a relatively rural town and go to a small community college. In the student recreation center, there's often a group of people playing video games, many times on their 3ds' playing Monster Hunter 4 or Smash Bros together.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Last time I got a StreetPass was about... actually, it was about a week ago, but that was the first in like a MONTH. Yeah, I don't see a lot of 3DSes out there (and I'm just gonna assume nobody in NH owns a Vita), so I'm gonna guess it's just that people are migrating to phones now.

To be fair, though, phones have got some sick games and they can browse internet better than the 3DS's paleozoic bull honkey.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see people playing 3DS all the time. The school I go to has quite a few people that own them because I get at least 10-15 street passes whenever I bring mine with me.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I get street passes regularly in Chicago. See people playing all the time. Still regret the time I didn't say anything to the cute girl across the bus aisle playing pokemon same time I was.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I've seen people playing handhelds, but it's few and far between (and almost always kids).

I've seen a lot of people playing games on their phones though - all ages.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By probablytuna

I'd say I rarely see one being played out in public but just yesterday I saw a guy playing Smash on the bus.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planes. And this dude at work has a 3DS he plays on break.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hardly ever see them, but I get tons of street passes daily walking around campus. Occasionally I pull my 3ds out if I have some long downtime between class, but otherwise the only reason I carry it on me is for the passes. Most of my actual playtime happens at home. Guess there are a lot of people who think like that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The year or two when the DS Lite was the hottest shit on the planet I saw all kinds of people of all ages playing in public.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once saw someone playing Metroid Fusion with a strategy guide spread out across his lap on my morning subway commute. All of us standing up were basically cheek to cheek and this guy was happy as a clam.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here in the netherlands, never actually now that I think about it. I used to do it myself though when i had to take the train to school every day.

I take my 3ds everywhere and get like 1 spotpass a month if I'm lucky and most of those seem to be people who dont live in this country. (there also is one girl in the neighbourhood I keep streetpassing and for the past year the only thing she seems to have played is nintendogs...) most times I see any kind of handheld its busted up as shit and in the hands of a small child. But even kids seem more into ipad's and stuff these days.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When I used to ride the bus I saw it all the time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam

Few people at work have 3d nintendo gaming devices, some of the new variety. And one more has a Ps vita.

Now that i drive i don't streetpass like i used to. But when i was doing public trans id often get a ton of streetpasses. Didn't seem them out and being played often, tbh. Think i've seen PSPs mostly.

Also no qualms playing my 3DS and Vita whereever, cept maybe for slight fear of getting it jacked.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I play my Vita or 3DS often on the train.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I play my Vita on the bus to and from work. I've seen two other guys on that bus play 3DS's. That's about it though. It's rare to see people do it. And if I have it with me I'll play my Vita in coffee shops if I'm waiting for a friend.

For me anyway, I don't care if people think "oh look at that guy, he's playing games, that's weird", because chances are that person is playing some game on their phone or reading Facebook updates.

The only thing I ever worry about is like @ripelivejam says, getting the thing jacked.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back when I was bussing a lot, I would see people with DS's and 3DS's. Occasionally I would also see Vitas. Or perhaps they were PSPs? I can't actually tell the difference unless I'm looking close enough to see the right stick.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#33 fisk0  Moderator

It's kinda rare, but maybe once every other month I see someone playing a Vita or 3DS on the train.

I very rarely play my own handhelds in public either though.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravelle

I played a bit of Animal Crossing in the bus a while back to test out the street pass system but I got none at all, but I usually just grab a book and read.

When I was going on holiday to Japan I brought my DS for in the plane, but then my flight got delayed by 2 hours , then the plane had technical difficulties and we had to switch planes and by the time I finally sit down and took off, my brain was mashed patato's and felt like doing nothing at all.

I did fly in business class once and it had a Super Nintendo built in to the seats which was pretty amazing.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play monster hunter on the bus all the time, but yeah I pretty much never see other people playing anything... other than worthless phone games of course but those do not count.

You shouldn't feel awkward about anything though, fuck what other people might think, it's their problem.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw an adult playing a 2DS in my doctor's office last year and I haven't done so since the GBA SP, mostly because the systems since aren't that portable to me. But if you want to, go for it. Fuck other people.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw two separate people with some variation of the 3ds on the last train journey I went on. I also remember seeing a guy playing the Witcher on a train about a year ago on his laptop, explaining the game to some old woman next to him. That guy is pretty cool.

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video killed the radio star. Mobile gaming killed the public handheld gamer. There was always a slight social stigma surrounding the public consumption of handheld-games. (Game Boy, DS, PSP, etc...) Nothing major, but some people would always look askance at someone toting around a handheld for entertainment.

Now that mobile platforms are as prevalent as they are, no one even looks twice at someone playing a game on their tablet or smartphone. If you have a mobile device with you, you can enjoy whatever games you please to your heart's content, and never have to feel even mildly self-conscious about it.

In a way, this is a step forward for the medium. By opening gaming up to a wider audience, mobile gaming has helped to erode the stigma against playing games in public. At the same time, they are constantly eating into the market-share of more traditional hand-held video game experiences. Well, any kind of progress comes at a cost.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#39  Edited By Kidavenger

The only place I ever play mine is on the plane/airport.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's weird. I see people infrequently but regularly. I've seen everything, ds's, psp's and vita's. All on public transit.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw a guy playing a Vita on the train the other day. Seemed pretty normal.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I've seen it, and I've done it.

mageemagoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some grognard in one of my college courses would play his 3ds with the sound on before class started :/

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't recall too many cases of that taking place over here either. I've played Vita or 3DS myself whilst travelling by train.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I know. I was baffled too, wish I could have taken a picture or something. But that would've been rude.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, on campus. I do it waiting for class if a game has come out (and it doesnt need sound cause im not an asshole)

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#48 gamer_152  Moderator

It's not super common but I've seen people playing them on the train or in university.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of people seem to do so at the airport/on airplanes. A -lot- of kids, though I saw a girl playing on a vita on the plane this Christmas. Lots of kids play the DS on campus. Even saw a few clam shell Gameboy Advances this year.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I once saw a guy with a beard playing a small nintendo DS on a bus. But once I saw a baby/toddler who didn't know how to talk yet having so much fun playing this maze game on an iPad. I was watching his screen and all he was doing was swiping it to make his character hit the boundary which made a really loud sound and an animation that the baby thought was extremely funny. When his mom tried to stop him he instantly stopped laughing and tried to hit his mother's hand away. When he realised he didn't stand a chance he quickly swiped the screen to make the sound one last time lol.