This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by prapin (32 posts) -
#2 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Because of your lack of information, I have come to the conclusion that the PS4 looks better then the PC version. But perhaps if you were to have told me why you think the PS4 is out dated.

Also, I have decided not to endorse your park Doctor Hammond.

#3 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Oh wow, the PC with a 1000$ GPU outshines the 400-600$ priced PS4 in a highly optimized 2 minutes tech demo... by a handful of particles. Big whoop.

Now the real question is, do you own a PC as powerful as a PS4? I don't, and I sure as hell won't upgrade my PC during such a turbulent transition as is ahead of us, so it's a clear cut case for me. And remember, just because you might have the teraflops to beat PS4's specs on paper, doesn't mean the games will be optimized to the point of you getting much of an advantage out of that excess power, nor do PC-exclusives have the production values of multiplatform games - either way, PS4 and Xbox Infinity will be defining the core gaming experience in the next couple of years - especially since they'll likely outperform over 90% of all PCs out there.

It's about 3-4 years from now that PCs will start to *embarass* consoles again, and that only if you're a stickler for high end graphics. This year, I can buy a PS4 and play all the latest games in all their glory, or pay triple as much for a Nvidia Titan GTX, and get the same games, with 3 particles more on screen, with all the upsides and downsides of playing on an open platform. The downsides ranging from shoddy optimizations to buggy launches to the uneven playingfield that comes with *personal hardware* to a much higher density of hacks & cheaters online - it's a matter of preference really, on what platform you chose to spend your time and money on, in the coming years. I'm looking forward to taking a break from PC, because in my estimate, playing games on PS4/Xbox8 is going to be more rewarding - less cost and hassle, more awesome games.

At least that's my 2 cents on the topic.

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4897 posts) -

@seppli said:

Oh wow, the PC with a 1000$ GPU outshines the 400-600$ priced PS4... by a handful of particles. Big whoop.

Now the real question is, do you own a PC as powerful as a PS4? I don't, and I sure as hell won't upgrade my PC during such a turbulent transition as is ahead of us, so it's a clear cut case for me. And remember, just because you might have the teraflops to beat PS4's specs on paper, doesn't mean the games will be optimized to the point of you getting much of an advantage out of that excess power, nor do PC-exclusives have the production values of multiplatform games - either way PS4/Xbox Infinity will be defining the core gaming experience in the next couple of years - especially since they'll likely outperform over 90% of all PCs out there.

It's about 3-4 years from now that PCs will start to *embarass* consoles again, and that only if you're a stickler for high end graphics. This year, I can buy a PS4 and play all the latest games in all their glory, or pay triple as much for a Nvidia Titan GTX, and get the same games, with 3 particles more on screen, with all the upsides and downsides of playing on an open platform. From shoddy optimization, buggy launches, and a much higher hacks/cheater density online - it's a matter of preference really, on what platform you chose to spend your time and money on, in the coming years. I'm looking forward to taking a break from PC. At least that's my 2 cents on the topic.

All of that I agree with but I have one very important question:

Is that ass an apple or a pear?

#5 Posted by Stonyman65 (2873 posts) -

@seppli: I think the point you are missing here is that even a modest PC these days can do that kind of stuff easily. The days of spending $3,000 every 18 months for a new system build are gone. The new consoles will be a big improvement over the consoles now, but it isn't going to be the "PC Killer" that you guys think it is going to be. If you understand how Moore's Law works, and how R&D cycles work with new consoles, by the time the PS4/Xbox-whatever is done and ready to be shipped to store shelves, the hardware inside will already be at least a year old by then.

And that isn't even getting into the whole resolution vs. frame rate thing....

#6 Posted by Sander (413 posts) -

@prapin: What're you saying? Wait for the PS5?

#7 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

@seppli said:

Oh wow, the PC with a 1000$ GPU outshines the 400-600$ priced PS4... by a handful of particles. Big whoop.

Now the real question is, do you own a PC as powerful as a PS4? I don't, and I sure as hell won't upgrade my PC during such a turbulent transition as is ahead of us, so it's a clear cut case for me. And remember, just because you might have the teraflops to beat PS4's specs on paper, doesn't mean the games will be optimized to the point of you getting much of an advantage out of that excess power, nor do PC-exclusives have the production values of multiplatform games - either way PS4/Xbox Infinity will be defining the core gaming experience in the next couple of years - especially since they'll likely outperform over 90% of all PCs out there.

It's about 3-4 years from now that PCs will start to *embarass* consoles again, and that only if you're a stickler for high end graphics. This year, I can buy a PS4 and play all the latest games in all their glory, or pay triple as much for a Nvidia Titan GTX, and get the same games, with 3 particles more on screen, with all the upsides and downsides of playing on an open platform. From shoddy optimization, buggy launches, and a much higher hacks/cheater density online - it's a matter of preference really, on what platform you chose to spend your time and money on, in the coming years. I'm looking forward to taking a break from PC. At least that's my 2 cents on the topic.

It's an apple of the genus Bonita.

@stonyman65 said:

@seppli: I think the point you are missing here is that even a modest PC these days can do that kind of stuff easily. The days of spending $3,000 every 18 months for a new system build are gone. The new consoles will be a big improvement over the consoles now, but it isn't going to be the "PC Killer" that you guys think it is going to be. If you understand how Moore's Law works, and how R&D cycles work with new consoles, by the time the PS4/Xbox-whatever is done and ready to be shipped to store shelves, the hardware inside will already be at least a year old by then.

And that isn't even getting into the whole resolution vs. frame rate thing....

I'm not saying that the upcoming console systems are going to be PC killers. The PC will very likely keep increasing its marketshare thanks to comprehensive online distributing platforms such as Steam, Origin, GoG and so forth - which are essentially gaming platforms of their own, with mindshare akin to that of a physical console platform - yet PC still makes up for but a one digit fraction of multiplatfrom sales, whilst being the absolute leader in software piracy - it's still a far ways off that the PC gaming market can sustain core gaming to the point we're used to, if ever.

I'm just saying a clear majority of people whom play games on PC have a lot less powerful hardware than what the PS4 offers effectively. The average gaming PC supposedly stemming around 0.50 Teraflops opposed to PS4's 1.85 Teraflops, with much more stringent memory bandwidth restrictions on both CPU and GPU than the PS4 and Xbox8 will have with their 8 GBs of unified memory, especially when talking about PS4's DDR5 RAM.

My own PC is no slouch by any means (AMD Quad Core with a first generation high end 1GB DX11 GPU and 8 GBs of system memory), but these consoles will be a noticable step up - the important thing however is the market establishing a new hardware baseline, enabling new generation software engineering standards to define the games from the ground up, without worrying about backwards scalability, and hence the effective difference will be quite mindblowing, at least for console exclusives, regardless of what platform you're currently playing on.

#8 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

A modestly priced pc cant play games without downing settings and that sucks deep. Yet most of us have that type of pc because burning money to stay up to date is not an option.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I understand moores law, I also understand that moors law dosent take diminishing returns into account ( its due to elecron size )

#10 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

I just don't care about raw specs. The PC rabbit hole is really boring to me.

Most of these people complaining about 'next-gen' hardware seem more like tech enthusiasts first, gamers second.

Saying that, I DO think the Wii-U under-delivers.

#11 Edited by MonetaryDread (2180 posts) -

Well if I had to throw out a guess it would be the fact that it is using a processor that is significantly slower than a current gen i7 (the ps4 cpu may have 8 cores, but they are running incredibly slow and a quad core i7 w hyper-threading can beat the AMD chip in every way), the GPU would fit into ATI's under $200 price range, and the the system OS is going to take up a large chunk of the PS4's ram.

An example of how the PS4 is not going to be as powerful as some might expect is that the PS4 will have a system level replay feature like GTA 4 on the PC had. Except that GTA 4's replay feature sucked up a gig of ram (okay the PS4 has 8 gigs), it used up processor cycles, and it was constantly writing to the hard disk (alas, no SSD on the PS4). There was a lot that was broken about the PC version of GTA 4, but I still think that all those system features that Sony mentioned are going to reduce the potential performance of the current PS4 hardware.

Is the PS4 going to be a bad purchase? Am I even slamming the PS4 in any real way? I think my answer is "no' to both of those questions, but Sony tried to save too much money on the production of the system to really compete with the average/ high-end of average PC's of today.

Edit: I am just guessing here, but I have a feeling that we are going to see a lot of 720p games this generation. I hope that is the minimum resolution used, but after playing Hitman on PC with my pimp-rig (i7-3770k, 16 gig ddr3, GTX 680 4gb, SSD...) that the limited specs of the PS4 will most likely struggle with outputting anything that looks better than Hitman at 1080p resolutions. If faced with the choice of dropping the resolution or dropping the polys / shaders, I am confident that developers would drop the resolution first.

#12 Posted by Humanity (10129 posts) -

Oh shit I fell for it! What the heck!

#13 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4830 posts) -

So the fuck what? I'm still going to buy a PS4. I'm still going to play games on my PC. I could not possibly give less of a fuck what my PC does better than a console. The fact of the matter is that consoles often offer experiences unique to that platform (just like how PCs and mobile devices offer experiences unique to their respective platform).

Why are graphics the first thing PC elitists seem to jump on? Honest question. I get they're a big part of the industry, but graphics don't inherently stop games from being good or anything. I mean, WoW and LoL both look like shit, but are both still fucking awesome games. By the logic these people seem to go by, both those games were automatically bad once better looking ones came out.

uuuuuuugh, why do I let this troll bullshit get to me? I need to find a new hobby like...painting Gundam figures or participating in civil war reenactments.

#14 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

So the fuck what? I'm still going to buy a PS4. I'm still going to play games on my PC. I could not possibly give less of a fuck what my PC does better than a console. The fact of the matter is that consoles often offer experiences unique to that platform (just like how PCs and mobile devices offer experiences unique to their respective platform).

Why are graphics the first thing PC elitists seem to jump on? Honest question. I get they're a big part of the industry, but graphics don't inherently stop games from being good or anything. I mean, WoW and LoL both look like shit, but are both still fucking awesome games. By the logic these people seem to go by, both those games were automatically bad once better looking ones came out.

uuuuuuugh, why do I let this troll bullshit get to me? I need to find a new hobby like...painting Gundam figures or participating in civil war reenactments.

Well that's it, then. The new generation is already old and busted. Fuck it, I'm whipping out the miniatures.

#15 Edited by konig_kei (670 posts) -

You are completely off base, you don't.......paint Gundam figures! what is wrong with you.

#16 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Whats a really good recipe for pancakes? Link me and set me free.

#17 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4830 posts) -

@konig_kei: I will paint whatever I desire. GOOD DAY, SIR.

@funkydupe: Link. Make them and tell me they weren't absolutely amazing. I dare you!

#18 Posted by Chibithor (573 posts) -

You know what's really outdated? The PS3/360. People still buy games for them though. Embarrassing.

#19 Edited by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -
#20 Edited by believer258 (12209 posts) -

@seppli said:

I always thought it was the Wicked Witch of the East's boobs.

#21 Edited by TruthTellah (9481 posts) -

I am looking forward to the games that will come out for it.

#22 Edited by prapin (32 posts) -

All these mad people...

I mean I could explain it due to buyer's remorse but the PS4 isn't even out yet.

The truth is harsh sometimes but you've got to deal with it.

#23 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1399 posts) -

Post a picture of you rig son, or do you still game on that intel integrated gpu that your father gifted you for passing 4th grade?

#24 Posted by Aishan (1023 posts) -

@prapin said:

All these mad people...

I mean I could explain it due to buyer's remorse but the PS4 isn't even out yet.

You're really going to accuse other people of being blind fanboys after posting a troll-bait topic like this? Really?

#25 Posted by believer258 (12209 posts) -

@prapin said:

All these mad people...

All I did was mention boobs.

I don't care about the technology difference (do not make the mistake of assuming that I don't know the hardware difference, I most certainly do). Journey is one of the best-looking games I've ever played, more pleasing to my eye than Battlefield 3 or Crysis ever were, yet it only runs on hardware that is pathetically weak these days. Rayman Origins can be played on a Vita or a 3DS, or on an integrated chip, and it's also pretty pleasing to my eyes. Yes, I know there's a difference in particle effects and level of detail and any other word you can dig out of the options menu of your favorite PC game, but those option are not what matters to me. What matters to me, visually, are aesthetics, and while more powerful hardware can improve that, it cannot create it. Good aesthetics come only from a creative mind.

Except light shafts. I'm a sucker for light naturally shining right and proper around a tree's trunk and through its limbs, but I don't think the PS4 is going to have a problem with that.

And, finally, stop trolling. You're not wrong in saying that modern high-end PC's are more powerful, but you are being a jackass about it.

#26 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

So? What's the net amount?

#27 Edited by Crysack (348 posts) -
#28 Posted by Pr1mus (3952 posts) -

OP is a fine specimen of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

#29 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

@prapin: The PS4 looks as good or better in most of the shots of that video. The only thing I really notice that I though was worse was it less smooth depth of field/focus effects than the PC in the shots that were trying to show that off. Great performance for a device that will cost less than half of what the PC used is probably worth.

#30 Edited by WasabiCurry (425 posts) -

As a tech enthusiast, I find these arguments PC vs. Next Gen Consoles dumb. Just dumb.

I suppose there is nothing better to do on a Thursday morning. Let me be the first to say that first party games are what become system sellers. If we take a short glance at the year 2006, the Wii was dominating the 360 and PS3. No one can argue that it didn't become top dog for that console generation. Even though the Wii was way less powerful, they sold more. Reason? Old people really liked bowling and that Wii sports game became an insta-fav with the general population. The fact remains that core gamers or early adopters will not make up the revenue when a new console is out. Of course, when the business stats for the PS4 comes out in January, either people will point out that it is not doing so hot or is selling like hot-cakes.

Honestly, I do not see developers abandoning the PC platform when the next generation of consoles come into play. Heck, the PS4 went to a PC architecture. It could be that it will be a hellalot easier to make games on or maybe, just maybe, they will start paying more attention to the PC market. Porting for the PS4 will be a lot easier than it is now with the PS3.

Anyways, I am certain that these threads will still come up. Especially when the 720 shows what they are boasting in terms of hardware specs.

I guess you can say, video games are games. We cannot spend money on every platform (unless you are rich or doing well off) and we want to reassure our purchase decision. I do not need something as an infant excuse. I like the PC. It is my gaming platform and will probably pick up a PS4, Wii-U and 720 (If they are doing that BS monthly membership, I won't be) . I just prefer PC.

#31 Posted by Chaser324 (6745 posts) -

I really don't think one Youtube video is sufficient evidence to support your claim. Also, it's essentially Youtube spam.