• 123 results
Posted by qraham (64 posts) -

And more! These were shot at PAX Prime in 2011 for my site Arcademia.com:

I've been going to PAX since 2007 (when I was 18) dreaming of someday wearing a press badge. I think anyone who's a fan of this site holds a serious respect for games journalism, and even if we don't really intend on being journalists ourselves we think it would be cool to work for a site and go to events and have the opportunity to really discuss games seriously. Well, last January I started working to build my own video game site Arcademia (a combination of the words "arcade" and "academia"), heavily inspired by Extra Credits, to be "Gamasutra for consumers."

I have a looooooot of work left to do, but it's made much easier considering I was able, in just under 7 months, to become notable enough to get press passes to PAX, and once I was there all my heroes (the whole reason I wanted to be there in the first place) were gracious enough to let me interview them.

I am so fucking psyched for 2012. There's a chance that I might be able to go to E3!

#1 Edited by qraham (64 posts) -

And more! These were shot at PAX Prime in 2011 for my site Arcademia.com:

I've been going to PAX since 2007 (when I was 18) dreaming of someday wearing a press badge. I think anyone who's a fan of this site holds a serious respect for games journalism, and even if we don't really intend on being journalists ourselves we think it would be cool to work for a site and go to events and have the opportunity to really discuss games seriously. Well, last January I started working to build my own video game site Arcademia (a combination of the words "arcade" and "academia"), heavily inspired by Extra Credits, to be "Gamasutra for consumers."

I have a looooooot of work left to do, but it's made much easier considering I was able, in just under 7 months, to become notable enough to get press passes to PAX, and once I was there all my heroes (the whole reason I wanted to be there in the first place) were gracious enough to let me interview them.

I am so fucking psyched for 2012. There's a chance that I might be able to go to E3!

#2 Posted by kidman (465 posts) -

That's really cool, keep it up!

#3 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

Nice going man.

#4 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

Its nice to see they gave their time to be interviewed.

#5 Posted by poisonmonkey (326 posts) -

Hope all goes to plan for 2012 mate

#6 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

Hire me? I'll be your butt scratched!

#7 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

It was supposed to say scratcher. Can't edit on this stupid iPod.

#8 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

Nice job man, wish you the best of the luck with your website as well!

#9 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

You ask some good questions, great work. Its good that they found time to talk to you.

#10 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

Living the dream duder! I hope one day I can be at E3 wearing that press badge too.

#11 Edited by qraham (64 posts) -

Thanks for the support guys. yeah everyone was very nice, and extremely accommodating. Jeff actually continued to talk to me for almost an hour after the interview too. I'm actually a little embarrassed when I think back to it, cause I was very star struck by Jeff in particular. You guys know what it's like, these guys are major celebrities as far as I'm concerned.

I just saw "Giant Bomb is the new Wikipedia" on the front page. Hilarious timing.

Edit: thanks for the compliments. I'm mostly talking about being excited to see them etc, but I do genuinely want to be a good journalist.

#12 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Great interviews! Nice to hear Patrick in a professional state without all those silly jokes at times. Approved. *thumbs up*

#13 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

I'm always impressed with Jeff's professionalism during interviews, but can have such a fun personality. Uhh, what's with the ending of each with different clips from other interviews? That's a bit odd. Still, pretty good man!

#14 Posted by Kovski (169 posts) -

Really nice interviews, as a fan of Giantbomb i heard these guys answers before, but it really is great answers you got out of them and I must give you cred for some of the follow up questions. Keep up the good work!

#15 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

@qraham: hey, you stood in front of the the man that knows all about video games and has been telling us about it, for a decade. Many would have faltered. You held it together, sir. Good job!

#16 Edited by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

For the love of god, get a tripod, fix your framing, and hold the microphone correctly. If you're going to do broadcast journalism on your website then your meat and potatoes - the interviews - need to be professional.

#17 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Good for you, duder. Keep it up.

#18 Posted by qraham (64 posts) -

the ending is a bit of a youtube...thing. I've put those clips there along with annotations so that you can click on them and be taken to one of the other interviews. I try to make the un-muted clip the one that the viewer would most likely be interested in (if someone liked the jeff interview they'll probably like the patrick interview, etc). I have some 45 minute interviews in "the vault" that have yet to be edited, and this technique will (hopefully) allow me to direct viewers to the next part of the same interview as well.

thanks guys. I still punch myself when I hear the Night Trap question (just how meandering it is), but overall I'm proud of my work.

#19 Posted by Moreau_MD (402 posts) -

Ha! I always find the hype and reverence with which people treat instances like these so bemusing. They're journalists guys....game journalists even...most real journalists only need a degree in media studies from their local politeknik in order to qualify...anyone can be one...and the majority of these guys don't even have that. Stop acting like the bomb crew, and any other games journalists for that matter, should be treated like the collective Second Coming. They're not celebrities and getting to interview them isn't really something to be proud of- interesting though it may be. Sorry to burst you're bubble but it's the cold, hard truth of the matter and giving it a witty name like arcademia doesn't automatically make them seem like deep, veteran, intellectuals or artists (if you will). I can't believe I'm saying this- but at least fat tits (Jim Sterling) doesn't pretend that he's anything more than he actually is. Games Journalists are, in essence, the kids who just never managed to grow up and there is nothing wrong with that. So stop putting the job and its people up on a pedestal just so you can feel better about yourselves for wanting to be like them in the first place.

(In before OMG I so can't believe you just said that OMG gaming is a legit professional career man!) Grow up and just accept the fact that games journalism, at least for now, is pretty much scrapping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to a career in media, or work, in general. I don't particularly care either way but it is what it is for the time being, unfortunate as that may seem to some- and, to be perfectly honest, there are many valid reasons for why they aren't treated with more respect by the outside world.

Ugh...this is probably going to get me flamed like mad but, you know what? Before any of you guys start to commence firing of the BWAAA!!! torpedoes, actually take a minute to sit back and think about what I've just written. If you really, truly, can say you think it's a load of bull then, please, fire away- but, if even a spec of you can see the essential truth behind what I'm saying- then you have no business bitching back at me.

#20 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@kmdrkul said:

For the love of god, get a tripod, fix your framing, and hold the microphone correctly. If you're going to do broadcast journalism on your website then your meat and potatoes - the interviews - need to be professional.

It all seemed good to me, who the hells carries around a tripod to PAX

#21 Posted by Evilsbane (4531 posts) -

@Moreau_MD: Doesn't matter if your right or wrong your still an asshole, he puts some interviews up of his Personal celebs and your going to act like he thinks they are the second coming? Looks like someone else never grew up.

#22 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

Nice interviews duder

#23 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5376 posts) -

Really liked these. Thanks for posting!

#24 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

What's up with posting the interviews months later?

#25 Posted by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

@Moreau_MD: Your enjoyment of life is incorrect. Everything you like is dumb.

@qraham: A lot of stuff that I feel like is out there in one form or another. On their formsprings at least. Nice interviews though. Keep it up.

#26 Posted by Moreau_MD (402 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

@Moreau_MD: Doesn't matter if your right or wrong your still an asshole, he puts some interviews up of his Personal celebs and your going to act like he thinks they are the second coming? Looks like someone else never grew up.

Never claimed to have. Also I said the interviews were interesting in context.

@YI_Orange said:

@Moreau_MD: Your enjoyment of life is incorrect. Everything you like is dumb.

@qraham: A lot of stuff that I feel like is out there in one form or another. On their formsprings at least. Nice interviews though. Keep it up.

It is you who are incorrect! For I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

#27 Posted by Fobwashed (1899 posts) -

Loot at me! I'm so smart and you're so dumb! Things you like, they're dumb too! I'm so much better for knowing how stupid it is that you enjoy the things you enjoy and I'm going to spend time writing on an internet forum how wrong it is for you to think highly of other people when they don't even have credentials! I am. . . bemuuuused.

I'm stupider for having read his post. Anytime anyone does anything, there'll always be some ass clown out there trying to shit on it. Fuck em, they don't matter. Most times, it's just for attention. At least kmdrklfg had some purpose to his post other than stroking his own ego.

As for the vids, good stuff and good luck =D

#28 Posted by Boboblaw (272 posts) -

These are pretty good, keep up the good work OP

#29 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Moreau_MD: Why do you think Jeff can't be some sort of a celebrity to some people? Yes, he is "just" a game journalist but he is also a personality on this site, that is well respected for his knowledge about games and his ability to make really fun and interesting content. Isn't it better to be "starstruck" by someone because you really respect his achievements, instead of some of those celebrities with no apparent skills besides being a kardashian or a daughter of a big hotel chain manager.

#30 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -
@Moreau_MD: Whatever man. This guy got to interview some people he looks up to and he was excited about it there's not a thing wrong with that. At no point did he go OH GOD THESE MEN ARE THE GREATEST HUMANS ON THE PLANET AND WE ALL SHOULD WORSHIP THE GROUND THEY WALK ON!!!
Like I get where you're coming from but you just sound like a pretentious douche bag and there is literally zero reason to make the points you made in this thread, nobody was going overboard with fanboy glee. Quit dumping all over this guys work, none of it is needed or appreciated in this community. 

Great interviews, you asked some good questions. Definitely gonna check out your site, looking forward to seeing how it develops :)
#31 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Moreau_MD: Nice videos, duder! Have also proceeded to check out your site, you've got a nice little thing going there!

#32 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@qraham said:

I just saw "Giant Bomb is the new Wikipedia" on the front page. Hilarious timing.

I found this and both your interview with Patrick to be oddly topical :)

Good work! You're definitely on a good path and I also kinda dig the name Arcademia :)

But why oh why would you not mention that you also have interviews with Jeff Green and Michael Pachter? Those were interesting as well!

#33 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I see that the war effort against the trolling hordes is intense in here, I just stopped by to say:

Cool interviews, if you fill up your site with more cool stuff I will surely check it out. Good luck with it!

#34 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -
@Moreau_MD: For someone who claims to not care, you certainly wrote a giant rant.  I'd say a thousand word response says much to the contrary of your supposed apathy, eh?  Also, nah, you're wrong. 
#35 Posted by Gaff (1650 posts) -

@qraham: You mention Patrick Klepek, Jeff Gerstmann and Greg Kasavin but neglect to mention Michael Pachter!? Jeff Green!? For shame!

• You've got a nice voice, which is more than can be said for most Youtube users.
  • Good questions: still very general, but pinpointing it towards the interviewee / making it personal without going too far is a delicate art.
  • Arcademia? God, puns...
#36 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

@Moreau_MD: The reason people like this stuff, or are like the TC, super excited to have spoke with them, is because we are fans of these guys. We know that they aren't huge stars, geniuses, or people who are doing anything huge, but we like what they do. I have no idea where you are getting this assumption from, but it is making you seem like one big pretentious snob. Maybe you should be the one who should take a minute to sit back and think about what people are writing, because all anyone here is saying is its cool the TC got to talk with them or are commending him for his work.

Also if you would have read the post, Arcademia is the name of the TC's website. He isn't trying to make these videos cool by adding that name in there, he is doing it to show that is his websites name. So as I said before, you should be the one to sit back and actually read peoples posts, because right now you are just coming off like a pretentious asshole.

#37 Posted by qraham (64 posts) -

haha I know, it's embarrassing. There are actually other interviews from earlier events that haven't been posted.

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but to answer the question I was just overwhelmed with the amount of work required in making a website like this and it just took a lot of time. I figure it's a kind of blessing that nobody cares about Arcademia because nobody was expecting this content when PAX was happening. Now that I have articles queued and final cut pro figured out I decided it was the right time to start releasing videos, because I'm confident that I'll have a regular schedule of content from here on out.

the videos say "Arcademia" cause that's the name of my site; it's not really supposed to be commentary on the subjects' fame (or lack thereof, as the case may be), although I guess that's a reasonable assumption. The site was actually inspired mostly by Extra Credits and my dream is to eventually have lots of articles and interviews that explore the same kinds of themes they do.

it was actually because I hit the character limit on the thread title haha. I also didn't want to "overdo" it with too many videos in the OP, although I guess that doesn't really make sense since they are GB stars in their own right. I'd actually met Michael Pachter and Greg Kasavin at PAX in 2010 and talked with them briefly, and when I approached them for these interviews they remembered me. It turns out that all these guys are just as nice as they seem.

Thanks for the support everyone, and extra thanks to anyone that checks out the site as well.

#38 Posted by OptimalPower (112 posts) -

Excellent work duder, keep improving and you'll go far.

#39 Edited by sparks50 (372 posts) -

Good questions!

#40 Posted by Brother_PipPop (252 posts) -

Everything looked professional, just the use of "uh". I know its hard not to say uh and um alot, I mean I do it alot but just watch that. It doesnt take away from the videos but you know. But really I think there great overall.

(You have a subscribe from me)

#41 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

@Moreau_MD said:

It is you who are incorrect! For I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

All I know is my gut says, "Maybe."

#42 Posted by qraham (64 posts) -

@Gaff: Wow thank you very much. I guess I underestimated the demand for those guys on the forums :p

I'm actually really happy to be getting so many compliments on my questions, because when I decided I wanted to be an interviewer I did so much research trying to "study" different interviewers I liked. I was particularly trying to emulate a guy named Jian Ghomeshi who does a radio show here in Canada.

And sorry about the name haha. I was hoping to come up with something that would kinda fit in the same category as Gamasutra, if you know what I mean. Arcademia isn't even in the same universe as far as popularity, obviously, but my goal is to serve a similar niche. If ever get to be on a panel with guys from Gamasutra or Kotaku I like to imagine the name Arcademia wouldn't seem out of place.

#43 Posted by MonkMe (7 posts) -

Wow, that was really cool. Really liked the one with Greg.

#44 Posted by Vel (7 posts) -

These were a good set of interviews, thank you for posting them.

All the best for the future.

#45 Posted by YOUNGLINK (538 posts) -

Well done! You seem to be on the right track man.

#46 Posted by EightBitShik (1333 posts) -

Nice job duder. Keep it up. It's funny you kind of sound like Patrick on the voice end creepy.

#47 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Awesome dude!

#48 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@qraham: just wondering, any plans for an RSS feed? I like to keep track of site updates that way :)

I subscribed to your youtube channel and bookmarked the page for now :)

#49 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Moreau_MD: It feels like your projecting some of your own problems onto game journalists. What's the matter, sport? Lose your job? Angry that the lowly game journalists make more money than you, now? :(

#50 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Keep it up man. I visited your home page after viewing these videos and I can safely say that if it continues to be interesting I'll visit again.