insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By insidergamer

Hey OP,

I enjoyed these are well. I'm seeing some critics of your work here, but whateves, you brought entertainment and some enlightenment in my eyes at least (and many others too, it seems). Great questions, by the way -- I think you really stopped a few of 'em in their tracks and in effect, got some fantastic, detailed responses in turn. Definitely more welcome than some of these boilerplate questions I often see in interviews.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Moreau_MD

@Buscemi said:

@Moreau_MD: Oh, I got the point alright, I just thought it was a stupid one. I get that you have an opinion and I said that I think it's a bad one. I fail to see the fun in "having a go at people on the forum" just because you don't agree with their opinions. Your jokes have been bad from the start.

What, you again? I thought you'd said you were all finished with your little tirade. The words 'have a go' were his, not mine. You say I was being insulting, I say I was just delivering a harsh truth to those who have started to revolve their lives around what the bomb crew has to say. I think you've misunderstood what the term insult actually means; I set out my points in a clear and coherent fashion and proceeded to explain my reasoning behind each and every one. That, however nasty or cruel it may seem to some, is fair nonetheless.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Moreau_MD: You are an interesting piece of work.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Buscemi

@Moreau_MD: You just keep me coming back for more, baby. The thing is, that "harsh truth" isn't really a truth, per se, is it? If we're talking about game journalists being at the bottom of media, that is. That's your opinion, not a truth.

No Caption Provided
Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Moreau_MD

@Buscemi said:

@Moreau_MD: You just keep me coming back for more, baby. The thing is, that "harsh truth" isn't really a truth, per se, is it? If we're talking about game journalists being at the bottom of media, that is. That's your opinion, not a truth.

No Caption Provided

Technically speaking, in my opinion, it is the truth. But at the risk of starting a whole debate about meta-ethics...I'll end with this gem.

No Caption Provided
Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Flaboere

The interviews were great, in fact I wish Giantbomb would report a little more on the inside of game journalism, not only the games. For instance, I did not know about the bonus for devs if they get a certain score. And I think Jeffs words on the motivation and strategy behind GB was interesting, to say the least. So all in all, i'd say you did a pretty good job.

grhmhmltn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By grhmhmltn

thanks guys. I'm really glad to hear that people are enjoying the interviews and my questions; I'm a huge fan of Jeff et all, but I obviously want to be a good aspiring journalist as opposed to a mediocre one. Believe it or not I'd been studying my favorite interviewers for a long time before PAX to try and prepare for these.

I'm actually going to be recording some more interviews tomorrow at an event in Vancouver called the "Game Design Expo," so the response is especially encouraging. These interviews helped me develop my editing workflow so I shouldn't have a problem uploading them on monday, and we picked up a monopod so the shakiness should be improved in the future.

Do you guys think it's a good idea for me to make more of these threads when I have cool interviews? I'm talking to Bruce Nesmith tomorrow which is incredibly exciting, and I'm sure I'll be able to drum up more interesting guests in the future now that I can refer press people to these. My instinct tells me that the GB community would be interested in future threads but I don't want to be a douchebag inadvertently.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By insidergamer

@Moreau_MD: "I guess the reason I wrote what I did very much comes down to the Patrick interview...that pissed me off. He acted as if he was somehow in a position to offer pearls of wisdom, not just about games journalism, but about the whole idea of journalism itself...Some of my relatives work in journalism and the picture he gave of it was just plain wrong in most cases, not to mention rather cookie cutter...The problem is, is that a number of young aspiring writers may listen to what he's saying and actually take it on board- damaging their chances and leading them to make uninformed decisions as a result. His advice is both too basic and unrealistic."
---

So I managed to re-read the entire thread just to find out why all this back-and-forth between forumites. And honestly, I see Moreau_MD's point. When someone argues as fervently as he does, I try to make it a point to develop an informed opinion of what was written, because everyone has a frame of reference and a rationale for why they wrote what they did. Sometimes these people are just loons, but the man makes a fair, if not unpopular, point.

The reason why I love GB is I was a fan of the editors back in the GS days (through their video features/reviews/etc.) and this thread's interviews are interesting to me because I think it's interesting how GB came to be: How Jeff managed to found the site, do it 'his way' (however good or bad), attract his fellow buddies to join, and make it as popular as it is now. (How financially successful they are, I have no idea.) Just to have the balls to go out there and make something out of nothing is notable in my eyes and pangs of a certain sense of entrepreneurialism. Greg's interview should be attractive to many as well. Most will not go into games development here, but to see his trek from editorialism to the games development track is kinda inspiring. Not everyone dares to pursue their dreams.

Jeff and Greg's positions are not deity-like, but yeah, I hope most recognize that. Anyway, the above are MY reasons for enjoying the interviews, whether Moreau_MD thinks they're legit or not.

ANYWAY -- getting back on track, I can see Moreau_MD's point on the Patrick interview. I like Patrick, I didn't necessarily at first, but he's proven himself to be a knowledgeable, clever, and entertaining face on GB *to me*. As stated, Moreau_MD's trying to say people worship GB more than they should, and Patrick's advice might actually be harmful to people that take their word for more than they should. Makes sense. The impression I get, anyway, is that in this industry, some can simply 'fall' into it by being at the right place at the right time (true for many things, but seems really relevant with something as 'new' as videogames, as the interviews pointed out as well). Therefore to speak as though getting a position at GB was a very intentional, standardized process and offer advice based on this might seem...too much for what it actually is. I would assume Moreau_MD would rather Patrick make his statements with a little more humility?

But the way I see it, Patrick's answer is fair. It's what he did to get to where he was, and when asked a question, he responded genuinely. We don't know Patrick's credentials, he could be far more than what he shows off at GB, I don't think it's great to make too many assumptions. But Patrick alone (or whoever) should not be responsible for ensuring that all that ask, receive good career advice. So then it goes back to Moreau's earlier point, that we should treat these interviews appropriately and that ultimately we're responsible for not taking their words further than they should go. Part of that involves not putting them up on a pedestal. So Moreau's point makes sense to me.

However, and he should know this already, when Giant Bomb's competitive edge is its PEOPLE, it's difficult to expect the community to, as a whole, do this. We saw a recent thread in the General Discussion asking people why they come to GB (Wiki, Reviews, News, what?), and MANY responded it was simply the dudes that made GB, GB. If you take even one editor (say Vinny) out, but keep the structure of the site the same, the site will have lost out *big-time*. It's a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that, since it's the quality of the people that make people subscribe, the editors can do just about anything, and people will come. A curse in that, when editors inevitably leave (you can't expect these guys to stick around *forever*), what happens to the site? GB will hope to have spent this time building an enduring culture of talking about videogames freely, openly and in such an entertaining manner that it extends beyond the duration of its current editors.

But Moreau_MD, while I see your point -- bro, you could have been nicer about it to everyone. If you wanna be like that to everyone, you can do what you like, but don't be surprised if people fixate more on the ways you expressed your point over your point itself, however correct or incorrect. Maybe you're not surprised and already know this. In that case, as Vinny might say, "Tsssh!" (How's that for worship?)

@qraham: Yeah man, I'm up for you making more of these threads. Think it's a good way to get the word out. (I've seen at least one other thread link back to yours already.)

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Moreau_MD

@InsiderGamer: Users like you are exactly why I come to Giantbomb over other sites in the first place- I miss the old days when the community at large was composed largely of others like you. Thanks for restoring my faith in the forums. A very awesome response all up. I agree that I could have gone about things more tactfully but I still stand by what I said. What I will say is that my problem with Patrick wasn't primarily with what he said about games journalism, but rather, what he said about mainstream journalism.

I thought this summed it up nicely: Patrick said "you could pick up journalism sort of on the job"

What a load of awful garbage. I agree that journalism is a "hands on" profession, where you pick up on little tricks and develop your own interviewing style as your career grows. But his advice will only lead to shoddy journalism in the end... Flowery writing doesn't mean shit in journalism. Even in feature articles, your quotes should tell the story.

There's is no excuse for claiming the kind of shit you (Patrick) did about a medium you're (Patrick) not even really a part of, much less understand. So, ultimately, I still think Patrick is a bit of a pretentious dweeb who could stand to self reflect before he starts acting the expert. Like you, I initially was more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was new (I even forced myself into liking him for a time). But, for me, this video was the straw that broke the camel's back. His continued attitude just feels off in comparison to the happy go lucky, caring vibe Giantbomb is trying to produce. Mainly though, on a professional level, I think his writing is just god awful. His articles always read too much like they were written as a personal essay for college admissions or something- there's too much of himself in them and I hate it when writers, journalists especially, use their medium simply as an exercise for showcasing how impressive they think their abilities are. Personality is a must, of course, but he is in dire need of learning how to detach his own ego from his work.

Again, I am genuinely sorry if some people think I'm a dick for writing this. I just think it needs to be said and I believe in saying it plainly. Perhaps I should bring these points together in a more cogent form in the blogs section as I've already detracted way too much from the OPs original topic anyway so I'll leave it there.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moreau_MD:  
That would be great if you put it in a blog, much easier to ignore.

No but seriously the whole issue is not that you started with critiques of Patrick (which you're more then welcome to make provided you recognize it's your opinion and others may not share it), but you started with basically dumping on the OP and accusing the people in this thread of worshiping the bomb crew, a point you brought up again talking about people in this forums lives revolve around Jeff and the rest. Why? What point were you trying to make? All you did was hijack this guys thread and as much as I hate the fact that I'm keeping it going, I for some reason can't seem to resist responding.

How bout if you're gonna make points like that, at least limit them to threads that they actually apply to an try not to sound like such a dick about it. You say you want a reasonable discussion but starting the way you did isn't gonna get you that and you must be smart enough to recognize that.
Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Moreau_MD

@TheSouthernDandy: I already answered all those questions numerous times previously- if you can't manage to read between the lines then that's your problem. I've already admitted that my original post could easily be misinterpreted as being dickish. InsiderGamer summed the whole thing up rather eloquently so why are you still commenting? You added nothing new to the discussion and it's pretty clear you just wanted to squeeze your two cents in to make yourself feel good. End of discussion.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moreau_MD
Ohhh I see. It was all about the subtext!  That makes so much more sense!

Please forgive my last post. I guess I misinterpreted what was meant to be a subtle commentary on the state of the community/website and totally misinterpreted it as the behavior of a pretentious douche bag. 

Stupid me, I just didn't look deeper at the words between the words.   

For reals, It's so great having you here. SO great.
arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By arkasai

Wow, I found those interviews highly watchable, keep it up :) Sorry your thread got hijacked by assholes. Some people need to chill out and do some inner examination lol.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Moreau_MD

@TheSouthernDandy: Wow...how on earth have you got anywhere in life without understanding the point of subtext...wait, oh... Warhammer 40K fan...the most obvious, in your face, space opera ever...okay now I see. No wonder you come across as such a blunt kind of guy. This whole thing has been blown up into ridiculous proportions by butt hurt individuals such as yourself... do the OP a favor and let it go. I suggest you run and paint some more of your fire warriors; it should relieve all the, er, 'tension' you seem to be suffering so much from.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moreau_MD
haha oh god
<3 love you too moreau <3 ;)
grhmhmltn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By grhmhmltn

@arkasai thanks! You know, at the end of the day my job as an interviewer is to give insight into these guys and spark discussion. This thread is fantastic and I find it encouraging even when people think I might be annoyed or something.

Earlier today I decided to make a thread on the PA forums because of how great this one had turned out; I'm a PA fan and, even though I'm not a regular of their forums, I figured the users there would be interested in the James Portnow interview.

The thread was locked after three posts, because you're not allowed to promote yourself :/ keep in mind that the OP was similar to this one: basically me presenting something I did that I thought they'd like, and talking a bit about how it all came about.

It really exemplified why I like the GB community so much. This thread has had tons of posts in the last few days and everyone's been really encouraging. Thanks for that.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By damnboyadvance

Realize that journalism is a tough career path to choose. But if you want to be a gaming journalist, then pursue your dream. Hell, you did a pretty good job in asking some great, well thought out questions. 

And honestly, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be like the Giant Bomb crew. Some of them worked hard to get in the position they're at today. They didn't just get where they are. They found an interest in video games, and followed it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#118  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Neat.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#119  Edited By Phatmac

Good going duder. Keep it up!

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#120  Edited By djames216

Love the videos. You asked some great questions which makes them compelling to watch.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121  Edited By Mitch0712

Thanks a lot for this, great job! I'll be looking into your site

ozzy369123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers