I just cannot sit down and play anything.

toma2598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By toma2598

For the last couple of weeks ive round It incredibly hard to get into a Game. Ill be 'cant wait to Play Game x' and then i cant sit through more than 30 mins of Game x

Any thoughts?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Common enough on these forums, from what I've seen. Usually I can get into games I've waited for easily enough, but trying to play some alternatives while waiting for that can end up like you described. For some odd reason, I keep getting this knacking feeling to re-play Dead Space 2 whenever I want to play something different, despite already having played it through maybe three times...guess I just really like it!

Oh yeah, your question. No idea...try playing something that you last had real fun with and see if that'll inspire you to play more then, maybe?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

eh, honestly I think every gamer has been there. This is why (and not saying you don't already do these things) its good to diversify your free time and engage in different activities. Go for a walk, read a book through to completion, take up a new hobby, or pick a historical topic and educate yourself on it; its really a matter of diversification.

I haven't let myself get burned out on playing games because its not the only thing I do. Even though I have about 150-160 hours into Battlefield 4 since December I still ensure that I read at least 2-3 books a month with one of those being a non-fiction, educational type book. That also ensures that I don't get too burned out on fiction or anything as well.

Just a suggestion. I've stepped away from gaming entirely for 2-3 months at a time before. Not really a crazy amount of time or something but that might be a good cleanser.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As Sammo21 says, you probably just need a break from it. Even if it's only a week, it may be enough to give your thumbs and eyes a rest.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By falserelic

For me I'll be too tired to play a game. I just end up watching vids on my ps4 then fallen asleep. Now if I had a game that was worth playing I would have avoid sleeping, but I don't right now.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't force it. Games are supposed to be something you want to do, not something you have to do. Too many people are all like "MUSTCLEAROUTBACKLOG" and then go through the motions having no fun playing whatsoever. If you don't want to play, don't play. Trust me, you'll come crawling back eventually.

I barely gamed at all for a good five-six years in the early 00s because I was busy with making music, reading books and working shitty jobs to get by. Re-discovering video games in 2007 or so was some of the most fun I've ever had with them. Give it a break, and you'll appreciate them more when you come back.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By noizy

@sinusoidal: Yea. I've tried doing the "must clear back log" thing last fall and over xmas fairly successfully, and I played and re-played through a bunch of games, but right now I'm "still trying" and it's not working very well. I'm waiting for spring to get on my bike.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you should stop watching so much gameplay (lets play on youtube, or quick looks) as soon i stop watching a bunch of those videos my interest in playing video games increased... is like spanking the monkey everyday and complain in having no interest in sex.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

This happens to many of us, if not all. One way I've found a way around it, is by taking a page out of Patrick's book. He started playing games he wouldn't usually even consider playing and it as helped me experience genres I wouldn't usually give to much thought about. Try something different, for me it was JRPG's. Hell I bought Disgaea 4 and I'd never heard of that game till I bought it :)

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Yep happens to me all the time. Something will come along and grab you eventually. Like Sinusoidal said, games aren't a job, play when it sounds fun.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I've been like that for probably three years. Sometimes a game will come along and I'll suddenly lose three days to it, but most of the time it's "I've got all these games and no interest in playing any of them."

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rent games. I rented Stick of Truth from a Redbox, and that was a powerful motivator to just clear that game out, even as I did every side thing I could. It helps to have a clock ticking.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13 gamer_152  Moderator

This is something that comes up periodically. As others have said try playing different types of games, or if that doesn't work try taking a break from games for a little while. You may just find that right now you're a bit burned out on what the medium has to offer.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Have you tried standing up and playing something?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Go watch a bunch of TV and movies.

*shudder*

You'll be back to games soon enough.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@sammo21 said:

eh, honestly I think every gamer has been there. This is why (and not saying you don't already do these things) its good to diversify your free time and engage in different activities. Go for a walk, read a book through to completion, take up a new hobby, or pick a historical topic and educate yourself on it; its really a matter of diversification.

I haven't let myself get burned out on playing games because its not the only thing I do. Even though I have about 150-160 hours into Battlefield 4 since December I still ensure that I read at least 2-3 books a month with one of those being a non-fiction, educational type book. That also ensures that I don't get too burned out on fiction or anything as well.

Just a suggestion. I've stepped away from gaming entirely for 2-3 months at a time before. Not really a crazy amount of time or something but that might be a good cleanser.

I second this. I actually think this is very important. Even when I'm not tired yet but have been spending too much time gaming I try something else. It's important for me to balance things. Sometimes following a schedule can help too if you're having a hard time dealing with time. It also helps you understand how to better sort your activities. Discover your hobbies and have fun.

As for myself I try going for a walk or go running every single day. Sometimes I do other kinds of physical activities. Sometimes I also compose, study music or play classical guitar. Reading a variety of books and watching movies can be good too. I've also been studying Korean now and reading Japanese books to improve my Japanese reading. As busy as my everyday life can be at times if I organise my activities well I can do a lot of things. I'm really happy I take the time to try different things.

Sometimes gamers are also worried about their backlogs but it's not exactly healthy.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have times where i'm just not into playing games. Its normal. If you dont want to play, don't force yourself. If you never want to play games again, thats fine too. If you just want a couple weeks off from playing and then jump back in. Cool.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*shudder*

I'm with stupid ^

;)

Anyway, I get that, you think about playing a game but you just don't have the will. You pick up the controller and just go "mehaa!" and sit back down.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By LackingSaint

Read a book. I'm just starting A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man and it seems cool!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@gokaired said:

@geraltitude said:

*shudder*

I'm with stupid ^

;)

Anyway, I get that, you think about playing a game but you just don't have the will. You pick up the controller and just go "mehaa!" and sit back down.

:'(

I-I'm not stupid...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'll say what I always say when one of these comes up. "Take a break from games and come back later." Happens to all of us.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maajin

To be fair, Game X is pretty bad.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I went through a long period like this myself over the last year. I got way more into working out and lots of times I would want to lift weights instead. It was hard to get into games and at a bad time too. I had been saving up for a gaming PC and put it together but then didn't feel like playing much. I went to Counter-Strike and Call of Duty had lost its appeal to me because it never felt as fun as MW2. I played Bioshock but that was hard to make it through enjoying it thoroughly. I got an Xbox One and found it hard to get into any game. I thought titan fall sounded good from what previews had shown. Then I played the beta and thought to myself, ok this is what I was waiting for. I also kept going back to Skyrim. Just knowing how deep games can be it is hard to give shorter games a chance for me. Like all these indie games. I want stuff that I can look forward to again, not just think, "oh man that was awesome" and walk away. I want to come back. Part of the problem also is the long long life of the old consoles wore me out. It was the first time I had been pretty much through a console generation completely and for that long. I got the Xbox 360 3 months after launch and just enjoying all the games but it just was too long. So I am hoping I am right about titanfall and can get back into games full bore.

Avatar image for splatteredbloodsouls
splatteredbloodsouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toma2598: That's me all the time. I can sit and waste days off checking forums and reading game news but I can only seem to play them for a few minutes here and there and I don't know why. I feel a lack of energy or something, It could be that I am playing alone and could usually spend more time if I was playing while talking to someone in a party chat or playing against or with someone.

I managed south park for 3 hours but I had to keep leaving the machine and must have had the console on all day but had only progressed those 3 hours. Same will happen with Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall. I will die a few times or play a few rounds then I will struggle to pick up the pad and spend more time looking at what other people think of it or just looking blankly at the computer or tv. I still go to work and everything else but all my free time just feels like the hours are running away and if I have a day to spare I will want to play games or finish something like south park while I like so far but for the reasons mentioned, I end up sitting waiting for updates on sites like this or watching tv shows out the corner of my vision while I sit at the computer for the majority of the day.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been in this state of mind for the last 2 years or so. Ever since my professional life got more time consuming and important, I just can't seem to play games. Which is sad, because there's a bunch of games I have that I want to play really badly.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers